SUNY Stony Brook vs U of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GonnaBeADoc2222

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen similar threads on this, but they were from 4 years ago so who knows...maybe things have changed. I am in at both schools and they are my 2 top contenders. Cost is an issue. Location is as well (I live closer to SB than roch). I'm trying to decide if the extra money is worth the extra prestige and different type of experience I'd get at rochester over stony. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Though there is a significant tuition difference, the average graduate indebtedness is the exact same for both schools (130,513 for SB and 131,881 for Roch). This is probably due to diffs in cost of living and financial aid. Point is cost may not be as much a factor as you think. Roch has better reputation and research, but I know some former Stony Brook grads who are very successful so I'm sure you can do well at either place. I chose Rochester over the SUNY's because I think there are generally more opportunities for research, early clinical exposure, and study abroad, plus Roch gives much better financial aid which should offset the tuition difference. If living near home is very important to you though, Stony Brook may be a better fit.

Rochester cost of living is cheap
Rochester hospitals/buildings are all interconnected so less time spent outside in the cold months
Rochester has the Eastman School of Music with excellent performers that come there if you're into that sort of thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump... I've just been accepted off u of roch waitlist and offered 10k a yr. loved roch curric but hated location, iv been upstate ny for the past 4 yrs and am not excited to go back. should i pick location over everything else??? OP wat did u end up choosing?

Rochester cost of living is cheap
Rochester hospitals/buildings are all interconnected so less time spent outside in the cold months
Rochester has the Eastman School of Music with excellent performers that come there if you're into that sort of thing.

:thumbup: As an Eastman alumn (and current med school applicant) I agree ;)

I chose stony for price and location. Rochester is more highly ranked but stony is very respected as well. I couldn't deal with 4 more years in upstate ny lol...

I chose stony for price and location. Rochester is more highly ranked but stony is very respected as well. I couldn't deal with 4 more years in upstate ny lol...

yea im in the same boat, im leaning towards stony even tho rochester offered me 10k a year... just cant stand the thought of having to spend 4 more years upstate

yea im in the same boat, im leaning towards stony even tho rochester offered me 10k a year... just cant stand the thought of having to spend 4 more years upstate

LOL. It's not like Stony Brook is a change of scenery either, besides less deers and different foliage.

Status
Not open for further replies.