Temple!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean2tall said:
Alright!! Congrats all! Can't wait to see you guys out there! :D

Hey JJ: Did you get anything in the mail yet about that scholarship? They told me to expect something, but it's been maybe three weeks already.

Yeah Owls! :laugh:
Hey Sean, I'm just like you waiting for the letter from Maria..
Let's hope it wasn't some fancy prank, ahahah :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah Kermit, I have been wondering about dates also, but I haven't gotten a schedule yet. I hope that is something they will get to us soon.

This is cool, lots of future Temple students are appearing!

JJ: Yeah, no joke ;) Haha. I was asking the financial aid person some questions and he said that he had not been talked to about scholarships yet.

:laugh:

Party on all!

Looks like I'll be seeing you all this fall too. Just holding out on one more option but it's looking more and more like it will be that schools loss and Temple's gain! I'm really psyched to move to Philly though... I'm going to have to start looking for a place pretty soon too. I'm thinking downtown, but is it a lot more $ than the burbs?

Members don't see this ad :)
DrBodacious said:
Looks like I'll be seeing you all this fall too. Just holding out on one more option but it's looking more and more like it will be that schools loss and Temple's gain! I'm really psyched to move to Philly though... I'm going to have to start looking for a place pretty soon too. I'm thinking downtown, but is it a lot more $ than the burbs?

Cool! I thought the same thing about my waitlists.

From what I can tell, Center City is something like 1000-1200/month for a 1 bedroom or something of the sort while suburb might be more like 700-900 for something that's also pretty nice.

i agree with those prices....though if you look hard enough sometimes a good deal pops up! i found a good-sized 1br in a brownstone right near rittenhouse square for $900 including all utilities, though i'm pretty sure that was total luck! you still need to account for expenses like public trans or parking fees that you may or may not have to deal with in the suburbs. from my apartment search it seemed like you take the biggest $$ hit by deciding to live alone, location was a factor but pretty secondary

Thanks kerm and sean. Is public transportation from the suburbs to Temple do-able, or is it hit-or-miss? Basically, should I count on having my car if I'm not downtown?

hey, my older sis is living in center city now and she pays $800-$900 at this apt called sterling apts on JFK blvd (very good location, close to subway station). since i'm gonna be moving there this august, she found a 2 bedroom for $1950 but parking is expensive! it's $230 a month! sigh. i'm still debating if i should drive to school or commute.

do you guys know if there's a white coat ceremony? if so, when? and have you guys gotten anything else in the mail besides the statement of acceptance?

DrBodacious said:
Thanks kerm and sean. Is public transportation from the suburbs to Temple do-able, or is it hit-or-miss? Basically, should I count on having my car if I'm not downtown?

aside from philly having a phenomenal public transport system, there are free shuttles going from health campus to main campus to center city and back every hour. a car is probably a good thing if youre not living downtown, but i have friends who manage just fine with the buses.

do you guys know if there's a white coat ceremony? if so, when? and have you guys gotten anything else in the mail besides the statement of acceptance?

yes, the white coat ceremony is probably gonna be in early november. theyll send out more info on that and a whole bunch of other crap later this summer.

Hey, I'm a "traditional student" and I'm just starting the application process along with the other 2009'ers. I've been looking at Temple in terms of its class profiles and demographics, and the curriculum seemed more than satisfactory for my tastes, but I feel that any evaluation I make from a computer is only partially valid. Why did you all choose to flock to the Temple banner?

i chose it because of it's super strong emphasis in turning out solid clinicians....i mean any medical school will give you a good clinical education but temple really focuses on that. Plus it is in an under-served environment which was a big plus for me. Sure it's kinda "ghetto" and it isn't as nice but I really want to be where the action is, serving a community in need, so I looked at the area around temple not as a minus but as a positive challenge instead. I had a great interviewer as well and Temple's staff is definitely comitted to its students which was also very improtant. Another thing to consider, Temple does like to retain its own so if you're thinking about staying in Philly for a while and doing residency Temple has some great hospital affiliates. That was the reason I chose it. I also just got a great feeling, I liked the students and I stopped and talked with a bunch of them on my way back from interviewing. there are negatives at all schools but for me the positives definitely outweighed the cons. hope this helps!

:thumbup: Thanks, it does!

Machaon said:
Hey, I'm a "traditional student" and I'm just starting the application process along with the other 2009'ers. I've been looking at Temple in terms of its class profiles and demographics, and the curriculum seemed more than satisfactory for my tastes, but I feel that any evaluation I make from a computer is only partially valid. Why did you all choose to flock to the Temple banner?

I am pretty much wasting a post here, but I agree with the stuff that Pixye said. :D Let's see what can I add? The students seem friendly and diverse. It seems like there are lots of opportunities to volunteer and such. Oh. . and they accepted me! haha :laugh: They have all been really nice!

I just received an admissions packet with infromation on financial aid, housing and other information today from Temple. I'd expect the rest of you should probably be getting this soon as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally received the "official" letter about the scholarship, nice :)
Hope you receive yours pretty soon,
JJ

joliejuliette said:
I finally received the "official" letter about the scholarship, nice :)
Hope you receive yours pretty soon,
JJ
I meant to address the message to sean2tall,
cheers everyone :)

joliejuliette said:
I meant to address the message to sean2tall,
cheers everyone :)
Yepper, got it too. Along with the whole batch of admission stuff. :) I am pretty excited :D

Does anybody know what the courses will be for first year? Maybe that will come in the second mailing?

Sean

Sean2tall said:
Does anybody know what the courses will be for first year? Maybe that will come in the second mailing?

Sean

1st semester: Gross, Embryo, Histo, Behavioral, FCC
2nd semester: Physio, Biochem, Neuro, FCC

Please don't do anything crazy like trying to read ahead, it won't work! Just enjoy the summer!

ussdfiant said:
1st semester: Gross, Embryo, Histo, Behavioral, FCC
2nd semester: Physio, Biochem, Neuro, FCC

Please don't do anything crazy like trying to read ahead, it won't work! Just enjoy the summer!

Hahaha :laugh: Wouldn't think of it! Thanks for the info. What's FCC?

Sean2tall said:
FCC is Fundamentals of Clinical Care. For the first year you learn interviewing skills and how to handle special situations in taking an H&P (elderly/children). You also learn the the most basic aspects of examining the heart, lungs, abd, etc (which you will forget quickly because you won't know the physiology and barely know the anatomy of the systems). The second year you go into more detailed history taking and more thorough discussion of the physical exam, using SPs.

Sean2tall said:

generally FCC happens once a week, if at all that week. actually, its the best attended class b/c A) its the doctoring class, so we all have a vested interest in it, B) you learn cool stuff there and start to develop a feel for your philosophy as a doctor and possibly the politics it involves, C) the professors are really really cool to listen to. youll love it.

uclacrewdude said:
generally FCC happens once a week, if at all that week. actually, its the best attended class b/c A) its the doctoring class, so we all have a vested interest in it, B) you learn cool stuff there and start to develop a feel for your philosophy as a doctor and possibly the politics it involves, C) the professors are really really cool to listen to. youll love it.

Cool. . thanks for the replies crewdude and defiant.
You've gotta be in class roughly 8-3 or something most days, right? Is there much skipping?

That is a question I was wondering as well. How many hours a day do students spend in classes and are there any classes that can be skipped?

Sean2tall said:
Cool. . thanks for the replies crewdude and defiant.
You've gotta be in class roughly 8-3 or something most days, right? Is there much skipping?
With the exception of gross lab, gross conferences and FCC small group sessions(all mandatory) I almost never went to class and I made it through the first year. I do not, however, recommend it unless you are extremely disciplined (which I was not). The material flies by so fast that (to quote Ferris) if you don't stop and look around you could miss it. Being in class forces you to see the material at least once before you sit down and really read about it, and it also forces you to stay somewhat on schedule which is key. Learn from my mistakes and try not to skip anything for at least the first semester!

kermit1 said:
i also got an acceptance phone call and email today...great news! i'm giving up my drexel spot and coming to temple, can't wait!

question for those of you who have been accepted already - have they sent out any information regarding the schedule for orientation or for the year (or given you an idea of when to expect it)? thanks!

Excellent decision.
Orientation is a week long I hear ...
I think they send out the info some time in July. For me that was a year ago. And now that I think about it, it was probably mid-late July.

I do remember going to Rent.com to search for housing ...

ussdfiant said:
With the exception of gross lab, gross conferences and FCC small group sessions(all mandatory) I almost never went to class and I made it through the first year. I do not, however, recommend it unless you are extremely disciplined (which I was not). The material flies by so fast that (to quote Ferris) if you don't stop and look around you could miss it. Being in class forces you to see the material at least once before you sit down and really read about it, and it also forces you to stay somewhat on schedule which is key. Learn from my mistakes and try not to skip anything for at least the first semester!

Cool! Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

I started up a forum based on the Student Doctor Network located at http://templemed.myfreebb.com

It's a work in progress operating on the philosophy that it's more localized to TUSOM. There are of course disadvantages and advantages to doing so but all in all, it's really there as a supplement to this information intensive site.

All the classes will have a Blackboard site - but there are no provisions for inter-class communication with the exception of the TempleMed Yahoo Group - http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/templemed/

Another site to check out: http://dnister.squarespace.com

It maybe of particular interest to the class of 2008; I have pictures I've shot throughout this past first year at this site - you guys might consider shooting a few pictures starting at Orientation as well. Fun in retrospect to look at. As Derrick the Librarian once said,

"class of 2007 enjoy all events with a camera. believe it or not ... these are the "best years of your life". so take pictures to remember..."

Now, I'm not sure whether he was being sarcastic or not ... but if you have a digital camera, it'd be great to bring it to orientation.

Random advice about orientation -
When you walk into a room, act like you own it.
Grab food and drink while you can.
During the pool party (if you have a pool party), don't be afraid to be the first one in the pool.

Read up on anatomy (after you recieve the actual material) before the first lab. It's nice to start the year off on a good foot. And if you get the chance, buy a copy of the Schneck survival guide. It's bare bones and you WILL have to read the actual lab notes, but you can annotate and stuff in it. (There have been errors in that book though. And Dr. Pearson doesn't like it so don't let her catch you with it.)

Sean2tall said:

One word about FCC - there's this book by Bates called "Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking" - I don't think we really used it throughout the year although it was available at the bookstore. If you're strapped for cash, you could probably get through the year without it; all you really need will be in your FCC binders.

Disclaimer: Unless all of that changes in Doctoring 101.

Emeri Onwunwa said:
Hey all,
I'm trying to decide between Penn State and Temple. Which is best, and why?

Temple hands down.
Beautiful Campus. (haha)
Awesome professors like Dr. Schneck who's basically written the book on Anatomy and has a CV volumes thick.
Technologically inclined.
Private study lounge.
Seven floors of unmitigated Medical School Fun - all the buildings are interconnected though.

Hey all-

I just got the big info packet today. It's got a welcome page, a calendar for the year, sheets for carpooling and roomates wanted, a disability insurance memo, a computer memo, a big list of housing in the area, a bunch of financial aid information, and an immunization history sheet.

dnister said:
I started up a forum based on the Student Doctor Network located at http://templemed.myfreebb.com

It's a work in progress operating on the philosophy that it's more localized to TUSOM. There are of course disadvantages and advantages to doing so but all in all, it's really there as a supplement to this information intensive site.

All the classes will have a Blackboard site - but there are no provisions for inter-class communication with the exception of the TempleMed Yahoo Group - http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/templemed/

Another site to check out: http://dnister.squarespace.com

It maybe of particular interest to the class of 2008; I have pictures I've shot throughout this past first year at this site - you guys might consider shooting a few pictures starting at Orientation as well. Fun in retrospect to look at. As Derrick the Librarian once said,

"class of 2007 enjoy all events with a camera. believe it or not ... these are the "best years of your life". so take pictures to remember..."

Now, I'm not sure whether he was being sarcastic or not ... but if you have a digital camera, it'd be great to bring it to orientation.

Random advice about orientation -
When you walk into a room, act like you own it.
Grab food and drink while you can.
During the pool party (if you have a pool party), don't be afraid to be the first one in the pool.

Read up on anatomy (after you recieve the actual material) before the first lab. It's nice to start the year off on a good foot. And if you get the chance, buy a copy of the Schneck survival guide. It's bare bones and you WILL have to read the actual lab notes, but you can annotate and stuff in it. (There have been errors in that book though. And Dr. Pearson doesn't like it so don't let her catch you with it.)

Hey thanks for all the info! I actually did not notice it all week! Have the orientation pictures you mentioned been taken down?

Thanks!
Sean

Sean2tall said:
Hey thanks for all the info! I actually did not notice it all week! Have the orientation pictures you mentioned been taken down?

Thanks!
Sean

I disabled the picture gallery, but for the benefit of the class of 2008, you can find the pictures I took during orientation here:

http://astro.temple.edu/~dni1/orientation/

(just click on the various pictures)

They're set at 50% quality to reduce file size and they're mainly of random people I saw that day. (Locale - Fourth Floor of the SFC)

Hey guys! I just got accepted to Temple today!! I'll be joining you guys in the fall! I am so excited! Now, I should go celebrate!! Have a good weekend everyone!!

Congratulations Med123,

I'm looking forward to meeting you and everyone else this August. Its going to be a great year.

JM. said:
I am going there in the fall!

Again!

If I pass Biochem!

Oh snap. I just figured out who "JM Walker" is.

Sean2tall said:

Thanks!
Sean

On account of Patch Adams being on TV tonight, I put the orientation pics (and all the other pics I've taken this year) back up.

Sorry for the inconvenience. :)

(The URL again is http://dnister.squarespace.com )

One more!!

Temple Class of 2008:

Sean2tall
joliejuliette
sharsky
Radiohead67
Pixye1
bkmonkey
MED123

Are any of you peeps looking for roomates? I'll be moving sometime in early August.

hey guys....i just gave up my spot at temple....... goodluck to all of you!!!!

do you guys know if temple school of medicine has a gym? i can't remember from the tour. if there's one, is it nice? do they have aerobic classes?

I remember the one in the med school being pretty tiny. We get access to the undergrad gym as well, which I am assuming is bigger.

ohh, where's the undergrad campus? is it next to the health sciences campus?

I'm not sure so I'm going to give a vague "somewhere in Philadelphia." If you go to Temple's website I'm sure it will say. Hopefully there is a pool on the main campus...

bkmonkey said:
Are any of you peeps looking for roomates? I'll be moving sometime in early August.
No roomate for me. I am going with my fiancee, and we also will be moving out there Aug. 1 or so. We will be in Roxborough, which I hope will be rad. Are you planning to live close or drive in?

About the gyms. . The health science building does indeed have a small gym, and I assume we could use the main campus gym if we want. The main campus is on Broad street as well, but it's a couple of miles further into the downtown direction.

Lost one! :(

Temple Class of 2008:

Sean2tall
joliejuliette
sharsky
Radiohead67
bkmonkey
MED123

hey did you guys get the memo regarding recommended computers for TUSM students? are you guys going to follow their guidelines? do you know if it is necessary? i have a really old laptop (windows 98, harddrive 2 GB, 64MB RAM) and was wondering if this is still fine or if i should get a new one along their guidelines?
if there are any temple students out there, can you please reply and let us know how often you guys use your computer? and if you need a laptop to bring to class?
thank you!

i'm sorta coming from right field. i'm a mac guy and am not planning on switching any time soon. i know we can get $3000 loan to buy a computer...yay more debt!!!

bkmonkey said:
i'm sorta coming from right field. i'm a mac guy and am not planning on switching any time soon. i know we can get $3000 loan to buy a computer...yay more debt!!!

Me too. I have a Powerbook that I got last year, which is awesome, and I don't intend to get anything Windows for school. I don't recall anything about computers being crucial to the curriculum at Temple, but hey there have gotta be labs if you really need windows ( :rolleyes: ) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.