Temple!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sharsky said:
hey did you guys get the memo regarding recommended computers for TUSM students? are you guys going to follow their guidelines? do you know if it is necessary? i have a really old laptop (windows 98, harddrive 2 GB, 64MB RAM) and was wondering if this is still fine or if i should get a new one along their guidelines?
if there are any temple students out there, can you please reply and let us know how often you guys use your computer? and if you need a laptop to bring to class?
thank you!

i use my computer everyday as a first yr. if theyre still recommending that you guys get tablet pcs, know that those are great, but they arent completely necessary. i find it particularly useful for my learning style, since i like to draw a lot (as everyone who studied in the study lounge for finals knows) and i like having an easy way to use buttloads of color and erase easily ... not to mention i sent out my histo and neuro slides to my friends. all in all, a good recommendation, but plenty of people are content typing in the notes section of powerpoint lectures.

especially since like every prof uses powerpoint, its better that you get a computer and have access to the lectures that are posted ahead of time (and sometimes a split second before class starts ... ****ing slow profs...) rather than having to print out powerpoint slides ahead of time at the library where you dont have access to decent color printing nor having to print them out before you head out the door, after which the profs sometimes make new adjustments to the slides.

you definitely should get wifi if you can afford it, get as much ram as you can, and you should have a big memory (dr. marinos and dr. litvins lectures in particular are big files). get something with windows xp for maximum capability, and get yourself a memory stick in case your wifi doesnt work or someone took better notes than you or whatever.

you dont NEED to bring your laptop to class, but then again you dont NEED to bring a pencil or pen either, you follow?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the great post uclacrewdude. look forward to meeting you this fall.

sharsky said:
do you guys know if temple school of medicine has a gym? i can't remember from the tour. if there's one, is it nice? do they have aerobic classes?

The gym is located at the SFC, Lower Basement level - there are treadmills, weights, and other pieces of exercise equipment in addition to a full size basketball court (indoor of course).

I haven't used it so I couldn't tell you how nice it is - I tend to use the gym at my apartment complex instead (due to the swimming pool)

Members don't see this ad :)
sharsky said:
ohh, where's the undergrad campus? is it next to the health sciences campus?

If you consider a good five miles away (?) next to the health sciences campus, then yes. I'm not sure what the distance is but there is a shuttle that can take you there. If you drive, either practice your parallel parking skeelz or find someone who can parallel park.

dnister said:
If you consider a good five miles away (?) next to the health sciences campus, then yes. I'm not sure what the distance is but there is a shuttle that can take you there. If you drive, either practice your parallel parking skeelz or find someone who can parallel park.

Its 10 blocks to the main campus. Maybe 2 miles. Its 3 subway stops, too. If you have a semester pass for SEPTA and are coming from Center City, its totally convenient on the way in or home to take the local and go to the IBC gym on main campus.

Gorgeous, huge facility, indoor and outdoor track, karate, aerobics etc. I used it alot during first and second year. (2nd semester 2nd yr i finally broke down and joined Bally's in center city though)

HSC gym is cool though too, and much more convenient, prolly gonna start using it after I get done at 6pm every day on my current rotation, which is at Temple hospital.

How's it going Temple peeps?
Haven't been posting around here for a while.
Anybody new coming to Temple? I am moving out to Philadelphia in t-minus two weeks - Jeez there's a lot of crap to take care of before you move!

T-minus 3 weeks for me. I got my award letter today. It looks like I will borrowing lots and lots of money. Oh goody...at least we'll be in school soon.

congratulations to everybody starting medical school at temple.

has anybody received any more mail from temple lately? are we supposed to get another packet before school starts?

I heard we will be receiving more info soon. Not sure what it has in it, just that it should show up soon. I spoke with the office last Friday and they said it would be going out this week.

Yeah, I got the new packet this week. Health insurance forms, stuff you need to have filled out at the doctor, carpool list, tentative orientation schedule. That's about it, that I recall.

:D Sean

Hey,

Sorry to intrude into your thread but I didn't want to start a new thread on just this question but how long were your secondary responses to "Why Temple?" question? I dont think the secondary online says what length exactly.

Freakingzooming said:
Hey,

Sorry to intrude into your thread but I didn't want to start a new thread on just this question but how long were your secondary responses to "Why Temple?" question? I dont think the secondary online says what length exactly.

I believe I wrote about one ordinary sized-page. Nothing too crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sean2tall said:
I believe I wrote about one ordinary sized-page. Nothing too crazy.

Me too. Just about a page.

Is anybody going to be living out in the Roxborough area or thereabouts? I just sent in an application for parking, so .. if anybody wants to carpool or something, that's cool. I will be moving out there this Sat! Dang time flies. Anybody who's moving out there feel free to drop a PM, IM, e-mail, or perhaps a brick through the window at night with a note tied to it. I'm not picky. Party on!

hey folks,
i'm glad to say that i'll be joining you all in 3 weeks or so. unfort, i'm from california, which makes apartment/housing hunting a bit difficult. are people considering the graduate student housing/apartments that are located like 5 miles from campus, or are most people getting off-campus places to live. On-campus just seems like the better option given my predicament, but what do u all think? thanks for your help =)

Hey, I am not familiar with the graduate student apartments, did you end up choosing them?

Kenjamin said:
hey folks,
i'm glad to say that i'll be joining you all in 3 weeks or so. unfort, i'm from california, which makes apartment/housing hunting a bit difficult. are people considering the graduate student housing/apartments that are located like 5 miles from campus, or are most people getting off-campus places to live. On-campus just seems like the better option given my predicament, but what do u all think? thanks for your help =)

Is anybody excited to start in nearly 5 days now? :D Hope everybody's move to Phila. is going ok, and I guess we'll see ya at orientation!

-Sean

From the producer who brought you the newly overhauled and expanded Neuroanatomy Lab Resource Appendices
( http://isc.temple.edu/neuroanatomy/lab )

Comes the TempleMed Bulletin Board
http://templemed.myfreebb.com

And like PBS, it's one can show viewer support by registering:
http://templemed.myfreebb.com/profile.php?mode=register

(It's free and it'll forever stay that way; it's simply nicer to not have an atmosphere where everyone's just kind of anonymous.)

* registered users can access areas not visible to the general public

* potentially interact with students from all classes
* interact in a non-academic setting. Or academic setting if you prefer.
* coordinate clubs/events with an online forum
* list classifieds
* speak your mind more freely while flying 'under the radar'
* contribute to the bulletin board's development (such as the "Central File Nexus", which basically allows downloading of whatever is available - such as old quizzes, exams, etc...)
* get advice and feedback in a timely fashion; we have a saying - "Six Hours, not Six Months". [jab jab]

After a summer, we have 17 registered user names and over 200 posts which is a nice thing; we're just hoping it'll grow some more and prove to be even more useful for the class of 2008.
:cool:

PS: You'll have Neuroanatomy second semester. That resource is probably one you'll want to bookmark.

Like many of you, I've just started to research the "Why Temple?" question, and reading many of your posts has been very helpful, and I have some ideas for what to write about in my essay.

I do have one question, though. The question on the supplemental states:

What is the nature of your special interest in Temple University School of Medicine ?
(Use the following space, to provide information to supplement your application)

Maybe this is a stupid question but is "Use the following space..." just part two of "Why Temple?" or do they want you to explain "Why Temple?" and then go on to give them "any additional info to supplement your app," as many other schools ask.

Thanks so much!! I'd like to get this one off as it is one of the easier ones, and I have way too many of these hanging over my head. I'm an August MCATer, so while I got my primary in nice and early, I know I'm behind on the secondaries.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.....also, the space seems to go on and on forever (I tested it by just typing nonsense text in), but most of you say you limited your response a page?

Thanks again!!

Karin

i know it was very long ago! haha hope s/he still sees it!

Dude, I just seriously LOL'd. This student is now graduating from Temple!

ok story time .. i was browsing to see the first person who actually got in off the waitlist .. and this is who i found .. yea I know what you're saying, "good feelings gone" if your on the CCL at Temple right now yikes! good luck all!

ok story time .. i was browsing to see the first person who actually got in off the waitlist .. and this is who i found .. yea I know what you're saying, "good feelings gone" if your on the CCL at Temple right now yikes! good luck all!

I don't have the links, but there are two or three threads of people getting accepted off the CCL list at Temple for the last two cycles. Actually, last year everyone that posted to the thread got accepted here on SDN save for one poor kid who was left all alone...or it may have been two years ago, but I know it wasn't longer than that, as those were the only threads I was reading. What I found was that most kids were accepted between May 16 and then about the last week of June. There were a few earlier than May 15, but I didn't see anyone getting pulled from the waitlist as late as July. I'm sure it happens, but they didn't post on SDN.

I don't have the links, but there are two or three threads of people getting accepted off the CCL list at Temple for the last two cycles. Actually, last year everyone that posted to the thread got accepted here on SDN save for one poor kid who was left all alone...or it may have been two years ago, but I know it wasn't longer than that, as those were the only threads I was reading. What I found was that most kids were accepted between May 16 and then about the last week of June. There were a few earlier than May 15, but I didn't see anyone getting pulled from the waitlist as late as July. I'm sure it happens, but they didn't post on SDN.

yup, just like I said, it's the first person that I saw, doesn't matter if it truly was the last to be pulled or not .. just the first person I saw. Good luck to all.

I am planning to go to Temple in the fall too! :D Anyone have any suggestions on wear to live/apartment complexes? Anyone looking for a roomate? Let's be friends! haha.

withdrew my acceptance from temple last week, hope it goes to one of you guys

Hey,

I'm only a sophomore in college now, so I'm not entirely sure if I should be here,
but I am thinking of going to Temple Med school, and so I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers in how to get accepted there.
Theoretically, I will have a 3.65-ish science GPA and a 3.75-ish overall GPA by the time I apply, (hopefully I'll have those stats)
but I was thinking of doing that dual-degree program they have and that's what I really want to get into.
When I went on the website, they said that for dual-degree, you should have a "significantly higher" scores than for "just" the med school.
When I looked up Temple in the MSAR, its ovll and science GPA were both 3.7. So I'm thinking my stats won't be good enough to get into the program?
anyone please can help me????????
Thanks!

Since this thread is outdated (from two admissions cycles ago), it's going to be closed to avoid confusion and moved to School Specific Discussions for archiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.