Temple!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean2tall

Pathology Resident
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Anybody set on going to Temple in the fall? Anybody considering? I will probably be there! Go Owls!

Ok party on. .

Sean

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of now I'm headed to Temple. Just holding out on my waitlist at Loyola (and NU too, but we all know how many people get in from NU's waitlist). I'd be psyched to head to Temple though!

I just withdrew my seat from Temple over the weekend. Hope it helps someone. :)

Wow cool . . thanks for responding everybody!

PakFist: Thanks!

KarateGirl: Awesome ... I liked it there on my interview. Is Temple a possible contender for you? Oh .. and how's karate? ;)

Dr.B: That's pretty much the situation I'm in. I am on the waitlist at Pitt, but Temple actually wanted me so I am happy with that.

and Adapt!: congrats on your several acceptances! I'm sure you helped out somebody for sure.

Anybody else thinking Temple 2008?

Sean:D

I am going there in the fall!

Again!

If I pass Biochem!

Originally posted by jmwalker
I am going there in the fall!

Again!

If I pass Biochem!

Haha, best luck! :clap:
You will be . . 2nd yr?

You will be . . 2nd yr?
Yes, (s)he will be. UCLAcrewdude goes there too. I interviewed, got waitlisted, and will be turning down my spot. Great people and great hospitals at Temple, but as far as I'm concerned, UMass just can't be beat.

Hey Sean--I went to my interview on Tuesday, and I liked the school a lot more than I thought I would. My interviewer said she's going to push for an acceptance for me as much as she can, so there's a real possibility I'll get in. I'm already in at Stony Brook, which is half the price, but I liked the feel of Temple better, and I'd really like to be in an urban setting. If I do get in, it will be a tough call.

After seeing the neighborhood Temple's in, I'm glad I know how to kick some a$$. :)

Originally posted by KarateGirl
After seeing the neighborhood Temple's in, I'm glad I know how to kick some a$$. :)

:laugh: Have you ever had to do that? Maybe I will get a chance to practice my Kung Fu if the neighborhood is as bad as they say it is ;)

Anyway . . From what I understand you should have a decision pretty quick. My friend was there on Monday. Being that this is the last week of interviews, they should have the decisions out fast. So . . . best of luck and congrats on it going so well. I liked it too but sometimes SDN gets me down with everyone trying to pick between Harvard, and Hopkins. Good to hear somebody else likes it! Now you might be stuck with a hard choice :cool: Haha, seeya

Sean

Originally posted by Sean2tall
:laugh: Have you ever had to do that? Maybe I will get a chance to practice my Kung Fu if the neighborhood is as bad as they say it is ;)

No, thankfully, the only time I've had to use my skills is when I'm sparring with the guys in my class. Now I wonder if all this training was meant to help me defend myself against some native Philadelphians. ;) You can tell just by walking around that the neighborhood is bad. But then, I did my undergrad in Baltimore, so it's not unfamiliar.

Anyway . . From what I understand you should have a decision pretty quick. My friend was there on Monday. Being that this is the last week of interviews, they should have the decisions out fast.

I heard they're getting back to people in 2 - 3 weeks. My interviewer said that the committee meets every Friday, and she wanted to present me as soon as possible, so I'm figuring it'll be soon.

So . . . best of luck and congrats on it going so well. I liked it too but sometimes SDN gets me down with everyone trying to pick between Harvard, and Hopkins. Good to hear somebody else likes it! Now you might be stuck with a hard choice :cool: Haha, seeya

Thanks. :) Yeah, sometimes reading the SDN forum is disheartening, but you have to remember 1. where the opinions are coming from, 2. there really are no bad med schools in the US, and 3. you can do as well as anyone in any top 10 school if you work hard and kill your boards. The only real advantage of being in a top school is name recognition. The rest is just ego. Atmosphere is really important to me, and I think the schools I'm looking at have a really pleasant and social learning environment. My tour guide at Temple said she couldn't believe how much time she's had to do things other than study. Now that's what I want to hear!

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Sean2tall
Being that this is the last week of interviews, they should have the decisions out fast.

Sean

Oh No! Is this week really the last week of interviews for Temple?

Originally posted by PsychoLulu

Unfortunately that's what I heard. .
:(

They told my group on Tuesday that we were the last ones.

did anybody get dr. eisen as their interviewer? my interview was really short and i'm kinda concerned. also it didn't feel like he was interested in my clinical and researcn experience...i dunno. i liked temple too and my sister lives there so i won't mind going there. is the class full already? are they still sending out offers or only waitlists?

Originally posted by sharsky
did anybody get dr. eisen as their interviewer? my interview was really short and i'm kinda concerned. also it didn't feel like he was interested in my clinical and researcn experience...i dunno. i liked temple too and my sister lives there so i won't mind going there. is the class full already? are they still sending out offers or only waitlists?

I thought my interview was sorta average and pretty short (25 min?), but I got in. I think that Temple is often just checking with the interview to make sure that you are a nice person rather than grilling you about your experiences. They are supposed to be laid-back, so I understand. Anyhow, I believe they are still accepting people for a while. I don't know how long, but I went to a tour of the West Penn Hospital campus this week and they said, "interviews are over, but acceptances will be continuing until ___" I forget how long. So if you want to get in, I bet you have a fine chance. I E-mailed my interviewer to say thanks and I enjoyed the school a few days after, and he ended up writing a note on my acceptance letter! Best luck!

A couple of guys in my group were complaining about their interviewer, saying he didn't seem interested in much of anything they were saying. So if it's the same guy you had, then don't worry--he was like that to everyone. The impression I got was that the interview was to get to meet you in person so they could make sure you have a personality, and to verify the information in your app so they could present you to the committee in as accurate a way as possible.

My interviewer also did say that they are still giving out acceptances, so it's not too late. I'd imagine their waitlist will have a lot of movement, too, so even that wouldn't be the kiss of death. Good luck!

Hey,

Of the interviews I've been on, this one particularly sticks out in my head.

I interviewed back in September, but I think I had this guy, too. My interview was literally 12 minutes, and he didn't care about a thing I said. He asked 3 questions, and as I finished my answer to one he would move on to another. There was absolutely no flow of conversation.

A couple of other kids in my interview group had him, too. Though their interviews lasted a little longer (I think they hit the 20 minute mark), they reported a similar seemingly apathetic attitude from him.

I got in the first day possible. I definitely wasn't expecting that.

Don't worry; interview length means nothing.

hey guys,
thanks for the encouragement and hope...my interview with that guy really got me worried. it's funny 'coz he kept asking me about my family background and he started talking about chinese people living in other parts of asia like philippines, malaysia, etc (i'm chinese but grew up in the philippines). but other than that...he didn't ask me about my extracurricular activities.

is Temple considered a state school for pennsylvania? how are they on accepting out of state applicants or is it only recommended to apply if you are a PA resident.

thanks

Let us know what the word is, those of you who interviewed!

KrispyKreme: I believe it is considered "state affiliated." I think there is a $5,000 tuiton decrease if you are from PA. They take 50% PA residents I think, but there are plenty of others out there. A fair percentage are from CA.

Originally posted by krispykreme001
is Temple considered a state school for pennsylvania? how are they on accepting out of state applicants or is it only recommended to apply if you are a PA resident.

thanks

i think we're a state school, but we have a high # of students from other states, including yours truly.

to all the people who had a crappy interview; dont worry, i got that dude also. i even saw him in line at the lunch truck last month. i tried talking to him, and even during lunch he was kind of a jerk. oddly enough he is the ONLY staffer ive met at school who has ever been a douche to me -- the deans, the profs, they all rock.

edit: PM me or AIM if you wanna talk about life at temple in general. but be cool -- i have an aversion to douchey typical pre-meds.

hey crewdude,
Would you mind talking about your experience at Temple so far? I got a really good feel about the school, but it would help to hear from a current student what it's like there.

Originally posted by KarateGirl
They told my group on Tuesday that we were the last ones.

ummm....I'm so confused now....Both KarateGirl and Sean2Tall are pretty sure that Temple ended their interviews already, but I just called them and the secretary that picked up the phone said A) they are interviewing until the end of April and B) they are sending out interview requests until the middle of the month. However she also did sound *slightly* annoyed - do you think she was giving me false info/hope just to get me off the phone? (She did end the less than 30 second call with a curt "Anything else?")

Sorry to be so neurotic! (Neurosis=pre-med's prerogative)

ummm....I'm so confused now....Both KarateGirl and Sean2Tall are pretty sure that Temple ended their interviews already, but I just called them and the secretary that picked up the phone said A) they are interviewing until the end of April and B) they are sending out interview requests until the middle of the month. However she also did sound *slightly* annoyed - do you think she was giving me false info/hope just to get me off the phone? (She did end the less than 30 second call with a curt "Anything else?")

Sorry to be so neurotic! (Neurosis=pre-med's prerogative)

Hey I would take the office secretary's word over mine any day! I bet they have changed their mind or something since last they said they were finishing. Because I don't think it would do them any good to lie, then you might just call back later ;). Best of luck!!

Yaaaaa! There's still hope - it's a Passover Miracle!

I'd rather believe the secretary than whoever I talked to. If she's right, then there must be more open spots, meaning better chance of acceptance. :)

Hey peeps. . I heard that Temple is starting a new curriculum that is more "new wave". I forget the details but I think it will be system based or blocks or something. Anyhow, did anybody hear that? I was told it would be starting in 2005, so I imagine it will not never affect those of us starting the old curriculum, but does anybody know?

Was that a creative bump (>10 char.) or what? :D

Temple is 60% instate, 40% out of state and if you want to know if we are still interviewing - its simple, I will ask one of the tour guides. The guy that is an odd sort of pain in the ass is like that to everyone and I don't know why they even let him talk to prospective students, he is horrible for recruitment. On another note - he has a health issue that may be having effects on his affect. But then again - he has been like that for years so who knows.

I don't think the incoming first years are going to have a curriculum change, I think it is going to be the class after them. But Crewdude - we get new seats in Kresge B for next years lectures taht I won't be attending!

I heard yesterday that Temple's class is full and that those who have not heard anything will soon be receiving rejections letters. They are printing them out as I type...

They aren't interviewing anymore, they stopped a few weeks ago. I asked a tour guide.

Demosthenes_7 said:
I heard yesterday that Temple's class is full and that those who have not heard anything will soon be receiving rejections letters. They are printing them out as I type...

Where'd you hear that? According to my interviewer they weren't full a couple of weeks ago. Besides, rejection isn't the only other option. They can still send out waitlist spots, and I'd guess a lot of people can get in from there. Anybody know if they rank the waitlist?

KarateGirl said:
Where'd you hear that? According to my interviewer they weren't full a couple of weeks ago. Besides, rejection isn't the only other option. They can still send out waitlist spots, and I'd guess a lot of people can get in from there. Anybody know if they rank the waitlist?

Did you ever find out about yours?
My friend interviewed at the same time and he has gotten an acceptance recently! Good luck! :luck: Am I abusing the shamrock? I think not!

Sean2tall said:
Did you ever find out about yours?
My friend interviewed at the same time and he has gotten an acceptance recently! Good luck! :luck: Am I abusing the shamrock? I think not!

No, I haven't heard yet, and I'm getting uneasy since my interviewer said she wanted to present me as soon as possible. So I may be needing that shamrock!

So does anyone know what the chances of getting in are for someone on the continuing candidates list at Temple is? Is that basically a waitlist or what? I wanted to get a feel for what my chances of getting in there are, but the secretary was a little terse with my questions.

Holayter said:
So does anyone know what the chances of getting in are for someone on the continuing candidates list at Temple is? Is that basically a waitlist or what? I wanted to get a feel for what my chances of getting in there are, but the secretary was a little terse with my questions.

All I can say is what happened to me. I got on the CCL 3-4 weeks after my interview in early Jan and then was accepted in March... I wasn't expecting to hear back from them until May 15, so it might be a little more active than your standard "waitlist," or maybe they were just getting quite a few people who were declining acceptances early on.

KarateGirl said:
No, I haven't heard yet, and I'm getting uneasy since my interviewer said she wanted to present me as soon as possible. So I may be needing that shamrock!

Hey KG, did you ever find out?
:luck: Sean

Sean2tall said:
Hey KG, did you ever find out?
:luck: Sean

No. :( I called yesterday, and they said that final decisions were being mailed out at the end of this week. That doesn't bode well. I really thought I'd at least make the waitlist, after the way my interviewer raved about me and my application. Oh well, I'm meant to go where I'm meant to go. And it's still not over just yet.

Whoa, that was weird! I got both an email and snail mail letter yesterday basically telling me I was on the waitlist, and then tonight I got home to find an email telling me I've been accepted. Those admissions people work fast! :laugh:

So, I'm in. :clap: Now I just have to figure out what the hell I am going to do with myself. :confused:

Hey all,
I'm trying to decide between Penn State and Temple. Which is best, and why?

KarateGirl said:
Whoa, that was weird! I got both an email and snail mail letter yesterday basically telling me I was on the waitlist, and then tonight I got home to find an email telling me I've been accepted. Those admissions people work fast! :laugh:

So, I'm in. :clap: Now I just have to figure out what the hell I am going to do with myself. :confused:
All right! Woo! :clap: That's awesome. Now you have to choose between Temple and Stony Brook, is it?

Emeri: I am not really sure which is really better. I did not apply to Penn State just because I wasn't real excited about the location and nothing really got me excited from their website. I guess neither of them are really prestigious, but I have heard some good things about the reputation of Temple's docs. I have not really looked into Penn State that much.

KarateGirl said:

Congrats and good luck with your decision!

*cough*CHOOSE TEMPLE*cough*

Emeri Onwunwa said:
Hey all,

i'd chose penn state... much safer, not on probation, and better facilities. of course it's also really rural compared to temple... regarding that it depends what you're looking for. good luck deciding :luck: ... having choices is an honor :)

werd said:
i'd chose penn state... much safer, not on probation, and better facilities. of course it's also really rural compared to temple... regarding that it depends what you're looking for. good luck deciding :luck: ... having choices is an honor :)

Neither is Temple on probation anymore.

Emeri Onwunwa said:
Hey all,

one is in penntucky. the other is in philadelphia.

Whoa, that was weird! I got both an email and snail mail letter yesterday basically telling me I was on the waitlist, and then tonight I got home to find an email telling me I've been accepted. Those admissions people work fast!

So, I'm in. Now I just have to figure out what the hell I am going to do with myself.

good work, karategirl!! congratulations!! if you want, i can pm you what i pm'ed some other kids who were trying to decide between temple and other schools. otherwise, you see the aim icon right there.

Anybody else thinking about going to Temple this year?

Sean

PS: bump. That is all.

Thanks Sean, phllystyl, crewdude. I'm really excited I got in. My choice is between Temple and Stony Brook. It's basically go with the one I liked better vs. go with the cheaper one. I have every reason to go to Stony Brook--lower indebtedness, good rep, the students seemed very cool--but I just see myself at Temple so much more easily, and I got a lot more excited about going there than SB. Some people think it's a no-brainer, others understand my indecision. I have until the 24th to accept at Temple, but if I want to get my $100 from SB I should figure it out this week. I am thinking about deferring a year, so I'm going to call both schools and find out what their policies are. That could end up making the difference.

And crewdude--you've been PMed. :)

P.S. I also have an interview at Drexel on Friday, which seems kinda pointless to go to. I keep almost cancelling, and then saying, "Eh, what the hell...". But I almost didn't go to my Temple interview, too, and now I'm really glad I did.

hello all, I have actually been on the waitlist since the beginning of february. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is alot of movement on the waitlist- or should I just forget about it and start applying again? Also, is there anything I can do to help my chances of getting off the waitlist?

Status
Not open for further replies.