Temple!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey about CCL........I searched the SDN and found this thread from 2002 called: Anyone on Temple's CCL list hear anything yet? at this site: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=5771&highlight=LOI+temple

I got a bit depressed following these students who were in similar situation and a few of them didn't end up there. So, I am not being all too optimistic now with Temple.....so, if I don't get in, I won't be too disappointed.

MED123

Members don't see this ad.

yeah that does kind of suck- same situation we are in at the moment. Im gonna act like its a no and just move on and apply again and do stuff to make my application better- Do what I can to control the situation- not let the situation control me- in a sense. I got waitlisted at EVMS too but like I said before- I dont put too much stock into waitlists. However- hopefully we will be surprised sometime this summer.

cpatel301 said:
hello all, I have actually been on the waitlist since the beginning of february. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is alot of movement on the waitlist- or should I just forget about it and start applying again? Also, is there anything I can do to help my chances of getting off the waitlist?

I interviewed for Temple in January, and got placed on the waitlist in February... I think. Anyway, I got an email on 4/30 saying that I was in, and I should expect some snail mail. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
cpatel301 said:
yeah that does kind of suck- same situation we are in at the moment. Im gonna act like its a no and just move on and apply again and do stuff to make my application better- Do what I can to control the situation- not let the situation control me- in a sense. I got waitlisted at EVMS too but like I said before- I dont put too much stock into waitlists. However- hopefully we will be surprised sometime this summer.

thats a good philosophy. move on if you can. i got accepted off the CCL june 1st or 2nd ... i forget which now. one of my classmates got accepted like 2 days before orientation. he had his clothes shipped to him from home in seattle!

I don't know how reliable this information is, but on another thread someone said that about half of Temple's waitlist ends up getting an acceptance. If that's true, then you have a 50/50 shot, which isn't bad odds.

Good luck to those who are waiting. :luck:

werd said:
i'd chose penn state... much safer, not on probation, and better facilities. of course it's also really rural compared to temple... regarding that it depends what you're looking for. good luck deciding :luck: ... having choices is an honor :)

WE AREN'T ON PROBATION!

Bump-izzle for the Temple peeps trying to get in off the waitlist. Good luck.
Anybody new coming? (Ah I am so proud of this thread. I actually started a semi-decent one! Must. . keep . . alive. .)

Nutmegs, are you starting this year or already m1/2? (If I weren't so lazy I could probably just join the group and find out. . But I am lazy. I will get to it I swear!)

Sean

Hey all. . just checkin' in with the Temple peeps.

So. . made the final decision: Temple U. Class of 2008! I just got a call two days ago from the admissions office saying they would give me a really nice scholarship! I am gonna withdraw from my waitlists (even though I really liked them) but I'd better wait till this scholarship thing comes in writing, just to make sure it's not somebody playing a prank on me!!! :smuggrin: Did anybody else get on of these? I am so excited!

congratulations to all who were accepted to temple!!!!! enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and have a great summer. :clap: :clap:

Hey Temple people,

can someone tell me when does the orientation begin and what is the first day of class at Temple?

Thanks guys and :luck:

Hi all. Congrats to all those already accepted! I just got an email saying that I was taken off the waitlist and was accepted. :D . Now I've got to debate between Drexel and Temple. Being out in Cali, either school looks great to me but both schools also have some cons. What do you guys think?

luau26 said:
Hi all. Congrats to all those already accepted! I just got an email saying that I was taken off the waitlist and was accepted. :D . Now I've got to debate between Drexel and Temple. Being out in Cali, either school looks great to me but both schools also have some cons. What do you guys think?

Congratulations!!!! That is a good news. The waitlist started to move. Good luck to you wherever you decide to go :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
MED123 said:
Hey Temple people,

can someone tell me when does the orientation begin and what is the first day of class at Temple?

Thanks guys and :luck:
Last year it was Aug 27 for Orientation and Sept 2 for class. Can't find this year's.

luau26 said:

That does sound like a tough choice. I stopped pursuing Drexel after I got my acceptance at Temple (but I think I shouldn't have). So I have never visited but I read a lot about it.

I like how Drexel has the 2 special curriculum paths that you can choose and I think the notebook computers are important with all of your class info? They have a really big class and I think tuition is higher, right? But the location is better than Temple (less dangerous I mean).

Neither one is on the top list of schools or anything, but as far as I can tell people are impressed by the Temple name.

KarateGirl said:
Thanks Sean, phllystyl, crewdude. I'm really excited I got in. My choice is between Temple and Stony Brook. It's basically go with the one I liked better vs. go with the cheaper one. I have every reason to go to Stony Brook--lower indebtedness, good rep, the students seemed very cool--but I just see myself at Temple so much more easily, and I got a lot more excited about going there than SB. Some people think it's a no-brainer, others understand my indecision. I have until the 24th to accept at Temple, but if I want to get my $100 from SB I should figure it out this week. I am thinking about deferring a year, so I'm going to call both schools and find out what their policies are. That could end up making the difference.

And crewdude--you've been PMed. :)

P.S. I also have an interview at Drexel on Friday, which seems kinda pointless to go to. I keep almost cancelling, and then saying, "Eh, what the hell...". But I almost didn't go to my Temple interview, too, and now I'm really glad I did.

Karategirl, what did you decide? Temple or SB?

Sean2tall said:
Hey all. . just checkin' in with the Temple peeps.

So. . made the final decision: Temple U. Class of 2008! I just got a call two days ago from the admissions office saying they would give me a really nice scholarship! I am gonna withdraw from my waitlists (even though I really liked them) but I'd better wait till this scholarship thing comes in writing, just to make sure it's not somebody playing a prank on me!!! :smuggrin: Did anybody else get on of these? I am so excited!
Hey Sean,
I got a call too today for a $20,000 scholarship , I can't believe it! temple rocks!!

joliejuliette said:
Hey Sean,
I got a call too today for a $20,000 scholarship , I can't believe it! temple rocks!!

Alright!! :D:D:D Congrats! :clap: That's what mine was too. . ;) I have been checking the mail everyday to make sure I didn't hallucinate that phone call hahaha. I am excited... But I must admit I acted like an idiot on the phone. I was just like. ."You're kidding? Wow. . that's great. Really? Oh terrific." :slap:

Does this mean you will be an Owl this year too? :D

Sean

PS: Temple does indeed rock..... :cool:

Hmm. . thread didn't bump when I posted.

Sean2tall said:
Alright!! :D:D:D Congrats! :clap: That's what mine was too. . ;) I have been checking the mail everyday to make sure I didn't hallucinate that phone call hahaha. I am excited... But I must admit I acted like an idiot on the phone. I was just like. ."You're kidding? Wow. . that's great. Really? Oh terrific." :slap:

Does this mean you will be an Owl this year too? :D

Sean

PS: Temple does indeed rock..... :cool:
Hey Sean ,
Congrats!! I don't even think I deserve the scholarship..but I am not gonna say anything,

I'll see you the 23,
Cheers,
JJ

Sadly, and with great difficulty, I turned down my Temple acceptance on Monday. :( So another slot has opened.

I'm just curious--what type of scholarship was it you guys got? I want to make sure I wouldn't have qualified so I don't kick myself at some point in the future.

KarateGirl said:
Sadly, and with great difficulty, I turned down my Temple acceptance on Monday. :( So another slot has opened.

I'm just curious--what type of scholarship was it you guys got? I want to make sure I wouldn't have qualified so I don't kick myself at some point in the future.

Have fun at SB :clap: We'll miss ya in Philly!

I imagine you would be in the running for the scholarship (the one they gave me at least. .) although I don't really know what the rules are. . This one was from the admissions office (not need based I imagine, since I'm not in need) and the woman from admissions said something to the effect that it was for people who had done well and they expect will succeed at Temple. I guess it's sort of a recruitment thing (maybe to secure some people they are interested in - it certainly got me to drop my waitlists and such), although my numbers are not that awesome or anything. . maybe just on the high end for people who actually matriculate to Temple . . .? I dunno.

KarateGirl said:
I'm just curious--what type of scholarship was it you guys got?

Yeah, I'm kinda curious about that as well. I don't know of any scholarships for first years that are $20K, but I could be wrong!

Sean2tall said:
Have fun at SB :clap: We'll miss ya in Philly!

I imagine you would be in the running for the scholarship (the one they gave me at least. .) although I don't really know what the rules are. . This one was from the admissions office (not need based I imagine, since I'm not in need) and the woman from admissions said something to the effect that it was for people who had done well and they expect will succeed at Temple. I guess it's sort of a recruitment thing (maybe to secure some people they are interested in - it certainly got me to drop my waitlists and such), although my numbers are not that awesome or anything. . maybe just on the high end for people who actually matriculate to Temple . . .? I dunno.

Damn damn damn! ::kicking self:: :oops: I remember hearing about a scholarship that I thought they said they gave to students who did well during med school--there were like 2 or 4 people they gave it to per class. But I got the impression that was all there was.

Well anyway, given my situation I really don't think it would have worked out with Temple (the whole deferrment thing). But a $20K scholarship would have made it cheaper than SB. Did they tell you whether the scholarship was only for MS1, or do you get it for 4 years?

KarateGirl said:
Damn damn damn! ::kicking self:: :oops: I remember hearing about a scholarship that I thought they said they gave to students who did well during med school--there were like 2 or 4 people they gave it to per class. But I got the impression that was all there was.

Well anyway, given my situation I really don't think it would have worked out with Temple (the whole deferrment thing). But a $20K scholarship would have made it cheaper than SB. Did they tell you whether the scholarship was only for MS1, or do you get it for 4 years?
Hey KG,
they told me that the scholarship was "merit based" ( I haven't even start medical school! and I have been either rejected or waitlisted from all my top choices). They also said that it was automatically renewable every year as long as I remain in good academic standing, whatever that means, is that just passing the classes or scoring at the top? Dunno
That's all I heard from Maria, I was too happy to ask for details :)
JJ

JJ: Yeah me too. . I have also been waitlisted or rejected from everywhere else on my list actually! (we can both keep quiet about that) So it was a good surprise to hear that 1 school actually wants me there!

USSDefiant & KG: you are right there def. weren't any scholarships of this sort prior to this year. The fin.aid. guy said that only after you rocked M1 could you be considered for one or two dean's merit or something (?).

But apparently this one is new and comes from the admissions office, I imagine as a result of the whole you're-on-probation-unless-you-give-more-fin-aid deal? Maybe. .

Sean2tall said:
JJ: Yeah me too. . I have also been waitlisted or rejected from everywhere else on my list actually! (we can both keep quiet about that) So it was a good surprise to hear that 1 school actually wants me there!

USSDefiant & KG: you are right there def. weren't any scholarships of this sort prior to this year. The fin.aid. guy said that only after you rocked M1 could you be considered for one or two dean's merit or something (?).

But apparently this one is new and comes from the admissions office, I imagine as a result of the whole you're-on-probation-unless-you-give-more-fin-aid deal? Maybe. .

Damn, if I would have known about this scholarship thing, I might have kept my Temple acceptance. :) Temple kept giving me the runaround concerning financial aid.

Hey maybe if I pull this off, we can turn this into like the real Temple thread. . . Who's officially going this year? I'll start...

Sean2tall
joliejuliette
sharsky?

Sean2tall said:
Hey maybe if I pull this off, we can turn this into like the real Temple thread. . . Who's officially going this year? I'll start...

Sean2tall
joliejuliette
sharsky

i have yet to receive my acceptance packet...i'm in vancouver right now and won't get back til next week. what's in the acceptance packet? i'm curious about this scholarship now? i just submitted my FAFSA last week too...kinda late.

sharsky said:
i have yet to receive my acceptance packet...i'm in vancouver right now and won't get back til next week. what's in the acceptance packet? i'm curious about this scholarship now? i just submitted my FAFSA last week too...kinda late.

My acceptance "packet" was basically a thin envelope with 2 sheets. They said: "You're accepted. Tuition deposit is $100. Send us your transcripts when you're all done with classes and you actually completed all of them. You rule. Party on."
As far as the scholarship, I have yet to get anything in the mail. So you are not missing out on any info as of now. :D

I'll be attending Temple this fall and wanted to say hi to everyone who will be there. I look forward to meeting you all this August.

Radiohead67

where are you guys planning to live? downtown? suburbs?

Temple Class of 2008:

Sean2tall
joliejuliette
sharsky
Radiohead67

sharsky said:
where are you guys planning to live? downtown? suburbs?

I am planning to live in Roxborough, which is like a suburb, but part of Philadelphia. Me and my fiancee reserved this apartment in a complex which looks pretty cool. "Henry on the Park" it's called. Since I've got a car, I hope it shouldn't be too bad to get down to Temple. Do you have any plans yet?

I am still trying to decide which area of Philly to get an apartment. I really don't know much about the differences in cost between the suburban area and the center city area. Does anyone know if there is an area where most Temple students live?

i'm going to live in center city with my older sister (she goes to UPenn) and i'm debating if i should drive or commute. how much is parking on campus? is it safe? i'm kinda worried. i think we're looking at $1200-1400 for a 2 bedroom or maybe more? i'm not sure. she's paying $800 right now for a studio.

sharsky said:
i'm going to live in center city with my older sister (she goes to UPenn) and i'm debating if i should drive or commute. how much is parking on campus? is it safe? i'm kinda worried. i think we're looking at $1200-1400 for a 2 bedroom or maybe more? i'm not sure. she's paying $800 right now for a studio.

if youre living in center city, you dont need to drive. the month pass costs $70/month, and if youre in center city you probably wont be more than 5 blocks away from the nearest broad st. line stop (@ south st, locust&walnut, cityhall, and race&vine). i pay 1100 for my one br, but its in a nice building over by vine, so youre looking in about the right price range, maybe a little higher.

Radiohead67 said:
I am still trying to decide which area of Philly to get an apartment. I really don't know much about the differences in cost between the suburban area and the center city area. Does anyone know if there is an area where most Temple students live?

It seems like there are quite a few in Center City, most of which I imagine are public transporting it, since it's more expensive to park and live there. And then there are many who live in the neighborhoods like Manayunk, East Falls, Roxborough, and many of them drive I think. At the apartment building I am going to in Roxborough, apparently there are enough Temple med, dental students that they give a discount. I believe that the school should be sending a packet with housing/roomate stuff next month, but I just went ahead and got it squared away because I already saw the neighborhoods and stuff.

radiohead--
check out the art museam district. It's a nice area, and in the north side of center city. I can see the big maroon T on the Temple University Hospital from my window. And congrats:)

Temple Class of 2008:

Sean2tall
joliejuliette
sharsky
Radiohead67
Pixye1

Temple Class of 2008:

Sean2tall
joliejuliette
sharsky
Radiohead67
Pixye1
bkmonkey.

I just decided yesterday.

YAY! I just got the email!!!! My first acceptance!

i also got an acceptance phone call and email today...great news! i'm giving up my drexel spot and coming to temple, can't wait!

question for those of you who have been accepted already - have they sent out any information regarding the schedule for orientation or for the year (or given you an idea of when to expect it)? thanks!

congrats!!
Orientation week is from august 23rd to the 27th, and class starts on the following monday (the 30th),
That leaves plenty of time to relax :)
JJ

Alright!! Congrats all! Can't wait to see you guys out there! :D

Hey JJ: Did you get anything in the mail yet about that scholarship? They told me to expect something, but it's been maybe three weeks already.

Yeah Owls! :laugh:

Great guys. I can't wait to meet you all. What are you doing for housing? I'm still contemplating living alone versus roomates.

Kermit, I called them today to ask them if any packets have been sent regarding orientation,roomate list , or other information and they told me that they were sending that information out today.

i'm kinda wondering about housing too. have you guys started looking yet?

thanks radiohead, i'm anxious to find out some dates for exams/breaks throughout the year as i am supposed to be in a few weddings this fall (what timing) and would like to know as soon as possible if i'm goign to have to bail due to exams or something!

as for housing, definitely living alone, just found a place in center city and am psyched about it. i'm 4 years out of undergrad, ready to be done with the roommate thing even if it costs a bit more...

Status
Not open for further replies.