Tulane vs. MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

long

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering what people think about these two schools. Here are the things I've come up with as they relate to me.

Strictly looking at both schools' posted cost of attendance, it looks like I'd be coming out of Tulane with about $60,000 more of debt. Tulane wins by a mile in terms of location/weather. MCW seemed to have more married folks (I'm married with a kid,) but that's not really a big deal for me. MCW seems to have more going on in terms of research, but Tulane has a good MPH program that doesn't add any extra time onto when you would graduate. Tulane has a huge extra draw for me too, in terms of some community programs they are opening up to certain minority populations that I would really like to be involved in.

What I'm wondering about the most right now is which school would have the better 3rd and 4th year experience and if either would have a better reputation with residency directors for manufacturing well-prepared graduates. I doubt anyone would be able to discuss this comparatively though.

Oh, I also would like to head back to the Pacific NW for residency and practice. I doubt either will help me more than the other in that area though.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm giving this a final bump in the hopes that someone has some input. Otherwise, I will let it die the ignominious death of a failed thread :(

I think if the MPH is a big deal for you, Tulane might be better; MCW does have a dual degree program, but I'm not sure of the quality (so helpful, I know). On the other hand, in terms of research, I would agree with you that MCW has a bit more going on than Tulane. All I know about residency stuff is that MCW seems to have a really good reputation for anesthesiology, for what that's worth.

From your post, it seems like you are really favoring Tulane and would go there if not for the money. Many people on this forum will tell you to follow the money, and I suppose that's really not horrible advice. I'm sorry that I couldn't help you more, I'm really only familiar with MCW because it is a school I am also strongly considering and seems like a really solid school.

I was also accepted to Tulane and I think that is a wonderful program. I can't comment much on MCW, but I would highly recommend Tulane.

Their MPH program is one of the best in the country (especially in global and community health if that's your focus). They have so many opportunities to improve the community through volunteer work. Additionally, I think you get a lot of hands on experience early on, b/c there is such a huge underserved population there.

I LOVED New Orleans as well. I think it beats Wisconsin by a mile in terms of weather, people, culture, activities, just about EVERYTHING. And I may have never been to Wisconsin, but this isn't a bad assumption on my part :D

MCW is I believe higher ranked, but I don't think either school has a clear cut advantage over the other. Tulane is more well known overall b/c it has an undergraduate school which is fairly decent. Tulane also has a pretty good reputation in the South.

The 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations are done at Tulane medical center and some of the affiliated hospitals near by. I'm sure both of them are comparable.

Overall, I think it's whatever you are interested in that should determine where you go. If you like community health, global medicine, public health, working in that kind of a setting, go with Tulane. Additionally, I feel like Wisconsin weather would make me miserable so I'd want to be in a more happy and cultured place like New Orleans. Hope that helps (I apologize if I'm biased)....

Status
Not open for further replies.