U of Illinois c/o 2024 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone receive the letter listing outstanding prerequisites? I believe I should have all covered, but my letter doesn't specify either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Will be pulling myself from the waitlist. Good luck to those of you on it!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
are you taking any this current semester? If not, definitely contact ASA and check about it.
No, the only classes I am taking are the two I have left towards my Bachelor's degree. I guess I should call before it's too late to make sure. I just assumed that they would say something at some point lol

I think our presenter mentioned something about Teaching Assistant jobs but I can't remember exactly. Did he say it wasn't feasible to do so while enrolled? Does anyone else have any on-campus jobs that you know of? I would love to work at the school since I'll have to be on campus so much.

To be honest, I would try to wait until you're in classes to see whether or not you want to work and go to school. I know many students that do NOT want to work, especially given course load, clubs, extracurricular and maintaining your well-being (eating, sleeping, exercising, non-study time). That being said, I do work. I started over the summer (moved up in June) and then went to part time during the school year. Luckily my job is animal-orientated and SUPER understanding and flexible. I started and 20 hours a week, and by week 2 I was panicking. I have since dropped to 12 hours a week and although it definitely means I need to manage my time wisely, it's manageable. THAT BEING SAID everyone is different, everyone devotes different amount of hours to study, but my tried and true advice would be to ease yourself into it. Vet school is a completely different ball game than HS or Undergrad. Better to feel like you can add a little more in than start out drowning. Not to mention, school jobs are posted throughout the year, and of course those would be most understanding of your course schedule.

How do you typically travel from the village to vet med? Do you take the shuttle or do you drive?

Some of my classmates take the bus from The Village. It's free with UIUC ID, but you would just have to be very conscious of bus schedules and that would mean last minute needing to stay late, etc may be an issue.

Can I sign up even now?? I remember parking all the way end of the F30 on the interview day and I hated it so much
I think you need a student ID number or netID so once you get one of those in May-ish you can

I'm a first year and they told us we couldn't buy a parking pass until the end of July. Start practicing your parallel parking hahaha. (That's not a joke) =D

I've been looking at all the things going on at the main campus. Is it feasible to go work out, eat, study etc. there during the day?

As @batsenecal mentioned, anything is feasible if your prioritize it, HOWEVER some things to note:

- Vet med is it's own little world, if you go on campus there will be LOTS of traffic, not so much parking, and lots of students. I prefer staying on the vet med side.
- There is a gym that is free for you in the bottom of the Small Animal Clinic, you just have to sign a waiver and clean up after yourself.
- There are plenty of study rooms/areas etc
- There is Einsteins bagels for coffee (aka the life source), bagels, sandwiches, pastries, etc.
- There are fridges and microwaves in Einstein, around the corner from the Atrium in BSB (Basic Sciences Building, where you all interviewed), and in LAC (Large animal clinic).
- There are TONS of lunch lectures hosted by clubs. RSVP and get free food (club membership may be needed, some clubs let you just line up at the end, or if you didn't RSVP will still let you line up at the end)
****Note on this note****Think about investing in a really great tupperware/silverware combo. Less waste at lunch lectures, and sometimes there's enough to take some home for another meal!

Saying all that, if you feel you prefer the vibrancy of the full campus, more power to you! It's just not my thing.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For those looking for housing, after April 15th there will be an unofficial FB made for your class that the upperclassmen will also have access to. There will be TONS of people posting about roommate opportunities/vacancies in addition to selling supplies to you firsties (required/suggested texts, coveralls, required supplies, etc). Many things can be bought on the cheap! And trust me, if you bring your anatomy book to lab, it may get gross, so that may not be something you want to get new anyway!

Your official fb page that will be your class only will be made closer to August. It's great for sharing study guides, asking questions etc.

Things that are helpful to know:
- Anatomy Lab: The only dress code is long pants and closed toed shoes. You could wear leggings and boots if you wanted. However, you do get gross, so most people like to wear old scrubs etc.
- You will get all major holidays off!
- Your boots for palpation and your coveralls do NOT need to be a specific brand/color/kind for palpations. You can buy them from SAVMA, or elsewhere, it doesn't matter (on the FB page as mentioned above.)
- UNLESS you plan on being a part of the wildlife clinic, your rabies series won't be due to be complete until you start rotations in mid-October. (If you are thinking about joining WMC, go ahead and get it completed BEFORE school starts, it helps). That being said, it's a long course! (6 weeks if I remember correctly, 3 shots total). KEEP IN MIND, many insurances DO NOT cover rabies pre-exposure prophylaxis (call and check with yours), and in that case it is expensive. If you want to wait until you are around campus, McKinley can do it (they started a few weeks prior to school) but you have to have your school ID, or the Walgreens on Neil St carries it (call beforehand to make sure they have a vial in stock for you). I personally went through Walgreens. Each shot was roughly $350 (x 3 shots). Budget for this!
- There is a counselor in vet med, but there are 360+ student on campus so start looking into how you are going to maintain your mental health and well-being now. That's not to freak anyone out, it's just nice to have the time to plan/make arrangements. Vet school is hard and stressful. Ensure you take care of yourself! Start learning how to meal prep/budget/and manage your time.

When I think of more I'll post, or answer questions. RELAX guys! First year is a huge transition. Take this time to enjoy yourself.

Reactions: 8 users
To be honest, I would try to wait until you're in classes to see whether or not you want to work and go to school. I know many students that do NOT want to work, especially given course load, clubs, extracurricular and maintaining your well-being (eating, sleeping, exercising, non-study time). That being said, I do work. I started over the summer (moved up in June) and then went to part time during the school year. Luckily my job is animal-orientated and SUPER understanding and flexible. I started and 20 hours a week, and by week 2 I was panicking. I have since dropped to 12 hours a week and although it definitely means I need to manage my time wisely, it's manageable. THAT BEING SAID everyone is different, everyone devotes different amount of hours to study, but my tried and true advice would be to ease yourself into it. Vet school is a completely different ball game than HS or Undergrad. Better to feel like you can add a little more in than start out drowning. Not to mention, school jobs are posted throughout the year, and of course those would be most understanding of your course schedule.

Some of my classmates take the bus from The Village. It's free with UIUC ID, but you would just have to be very conscious of bus schedules and that would mean last minute needing to stay late, etc may be an issue.

I'm a first year and they told us we couldn't buy a parking pass until the end of July. Start practicing your parallel parking hahaha. (That's not a joke) =D

As @batsenecal mentioned, anything is feasible if your prioritize it, HOWEVER some things to note:

- Vet med is it's own little world, if you go on campus there will be LOTS of traffic, not so much parking, and lots of students. I prefer staying on the vet med side.
- There is a gym that is free for you in the bottom of the Small Animal Clinic, you just have to sign a waiver and clean up after yourself.
- There are plenty of study rooms/areas etc
- There is Einsteins bagels for coffee (aka the life source), bagels, sandwiches, pastries, etc.
- There are fridges and microwaves in Einstein, around the corner from the Atrium in BSB (Basic Sciences Building, where you all interviewed), and in LAC (Large animal clinic).
- There are TONS of lunch lectures hosted by clubs. RSVP and get free food (club membership may be needed, some clubs let you just line up at the end, or if you didn't RSVP will still let you line up at the end)
****Note on this note****Think about investing in a really great tupperware/silverware combo. Less waste at lunch lectures, and sometimes there's enough to take some home for another meal!

Saying all that, if you feel you prefer the vibrancy of the full campus, more power to you! It's just not my thing.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For those looking for housing, after April 15th there will be an unofficial FB made for your class that the upperclassmen will also have access to. There will be TONS of people posting about roommate opportunities/vacancies in addition to selling supplies to you firsties (required/suggested texts, coveralls, required supplies, etc). Many things can be bought on the cheap! And trust me, if you bring your anatomy book to lab, it may get gross, so that may not be something you want to get new anyway!

Your official fb page that will be your class only will be made closer to August. It's great for sharing study guides, asking questions etc.

Things that are helpful to know:
- Anatomy Lab: The only dress code is long pants and closed toed shoes. You could wear leggings and boots if you wanted. However, you do get gross, so most people like to wear old scrubs etc.
- You will get all major holidays off!
- Your boots for palpation and your coveralls do NOT need to be a specific brand/color/kind for palpations. You can buy them from SAVMA, or elsewhere, it doesn't matter (on the FB page as mentioned above.)
- UNLESS you plan on being a part of the wildlife clinic, your rabies series won't be due to be complete until you start rotations in mid-October. (If you are thinking about joining WMC, go ahead and get it completed BEFORE school starts, it helps). That being said, it's a long course! (6 weeks if I remember correctly, 3 shots total). KEEP IN MIND, many insurances DO NOT cover rabies pre-exposure prophylaxis (call and check with yours), and in that case it is expensive. If you want to wait until you are around campus, McKinley can do it (they started a few weeks prior to school) but you have to have your school ID, or the Walgreens on Neil St carries it (call beforehand to make sure they have a vial in stock for you). I personally went through Walgreens. Each shot was roughly $350 (x 3 shots). Budget for this!
- There is a counselor in vet med, but there are 360+ student on campus so start looking into how you are going to maintain your mental health and well-being now. That's not to freak anyone out, it's just nice to have the time to plan/make arrangements. Vet school is hard and stressful. Ensure you take care of yourself! Start learning how to meal prep/budget/and manage your time.

When I think of more I'll post, or answer questions. RELAX guys! First year is a huge transition. Take this time to enjoy yourself.
Question about the rabies shots. How long are they good for? I got mine done last year in order to be able to shadow at the vet clinic. My employer covers all of them, so I'd redo them before my contract is up if needed.

Question about the rabies shots. How long are they good for? I got mine done last year in order to be able to shadow at the vet clinic. My employer covers all of them, so I'd redo them before my contract is up if needed.

I would check with ASA because there are different protocols for different settings and I'm not sure what the school requires. High risk can be due every 6 months (if I remember?) sometimes it's 2-3 years. Some people choose to have a titers test instead of revax (see how complex we're getting...haha). I would just shoot them an email or call as to what they want specifically. I can't imagine they would require you to revax after a year, but better get the final word from them. Make sure you still have record of all 3 shots, they need you to send in proof.

It will be school specific on how long they are good for, but you won't need to repeat the series, just get titers. As long as your numbers remain above lowest acceptable level there, you just repeat titers every so often. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Yep you def can’t actually buy a pass until July but they’ll still let you get on the waitlists once you are officially a student with an ID number.

You need a titer every 2 years I believe so you likely will be good until the start of 2nd year, but you could definitely get a titer and see where your levels are at now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just pulled myself from the waitlist as well. Hopefully it gives someone a better chance. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I actually just asked asa about the rabies vaccines and titer, they said just send in my most recent titer, last year, and that would suffice. I am going to get another one done this year just to give me extra time to set up a new Dr in Illinois.

I actually just asked asa about the rabies vaccines and titer, they said just send in my most recent titer, last year, and that would suffice. I am going to get another one done this year just to give me extra time to set up a new Dr in Illinois.
The student health center can also do titers here!

Always call your insurance to check about rabies vaccine coverage. On a quick look through on my Insurance’s website it said it wouldn’t be covered. When I called to check and explained that I was in a high risk field, they covered them.

Sometimes, if you are super lucky, they might cover you individually because post exposure shots are way more expensive and most of the time they would have to cover that.

Reactions: 1 users
I just called my insurance about the rabies vax and they said it is covered if you get bit or if you want it done because of owning a pet, etc. It isn’t covered if a school/job requests it.. So I’m going to be just saying I want it due to have a pet and I should be good. Just wanted to let everyone know to definitely double check with your insurance - could surprise you!!

When do we get our student email? Is this after April 15th?

Has anyone not received their acceptance letter? I'm still waiting on mine

I was wondering when the admitted students page would be updated? It still says class of 2023. It might be an ASA question though. They're already used to me emailing them lol. maybe they're doing it differently and just sending us the info by email? I just dropped off my deposit to be sent at the post office yesterday

I was wondering when the admitted students page would be updated? It still says class of 2023. It might be an ASA question though. They're already used to me emailing them lol. maybe they're doing it differently and just sending us the info by email? I just dropped off my deposit to be sent at the post office yesterday
They’ll eventually update it, but it likely won’t be for a bit. We’ve got 3rd years going into clinics soon and their white coat, OSCEs for 2nd and 3rd years, finals next week for 1st and 3rd years, and 4th years going into their Professional Development for their last few weeks of school, all within this month.
It’ll basically be all the same stuff for you guys, just minor adjustments on the dates.

Reactions: 1 users
I just called my insurance about the rabies vax and they said it is covered if you get bit or if you want it done because of owning a pet, etc. It isn’t covered if a school/job requests it.. So I’m going to be just saying I want it due to have a pet and I should be good. Just wanted to let everyone know to definitely double check with your insurance - could surprise you!!

My insurance also said they can cover it as long as I get the injection in an office setting by an in network medical doctor.

The problem is I cannot find anyone who can provide this!! Can anyone tell me where you guys got your shot other than Walgreens or McKinley Health Center?

My insurance also said they can cover it as long as I get the injection in an office setting by an in network medical doctor.

The problem is I cannot find anyone who can provide this!! Can anyone tell me where you guys got your shot other than Walgreens or McKinley Health Center?
Some people contact their local county public health office. Some will do vaccines and rabies vaccines. There’s also “travel clinics” for people traveling out of country who need the weird vaccines like rabies and yellow fever. Not sure they’d be in network though.

My insurance was weird. My GP said she couldn’t give it because the office just wouldn’t order it. So I tried the county health department who did have it but, for some reason, my insurance wouldn’t cover it there???

In Ohio pharmacists are allowed to administer vaccinations. My mom happens to be a pharmacist so I asked her. After trying everywhere I was able to get it through a grocery store pharmacy

I was their guinea pig because they had never given a rabies vaccine before. So each time I went, a different pharmacist gave it to me.
Depending on the manufacturer it’s super bright neon pink

Thank you. After doing long research and making calls, I finally found a place that I can get cover.

They can order the rabies vaccine for me, but they have two brands: Imovax ($443.99) and RabAvert ($411.99) without insurance cover.

Does anyone know which one I should get? Thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you. After doing long research and making calls, I finally found a place that I can get cover.

They can order the rabies vaccine for me, but they have two brands: Imovax ($443.99) and RabAvert ($411.99) without insurance cover.

Looked at my vaccine card from the school clinic - they gave me the RabAvert. Idk if it matters, really, but just passing along info :)

I apologize if this has been mentioned already, but if I got my rabies 2 years ago and my titre comes up positive, I should be okay, right?

I apologize if this has been mentioned already, but if I got my rabies 2 years ago and my titre comes up positive, I should be okay, right?

No worries, messages get lost. Someone above asked ASA, and was told they just need to submit proof that they had protective titer levels:

No worries, messages get lost. Someone above asked ASA, and was told they just need to submit proof that they had protective titer levels:
Thank you!! I thought I remembered reading that, but I scrolled up and couldn't find it. I'll just get another titre and hope it'll be okay!

Looked at my vaccine card from the school clinic - they gave me the RabAvert. Idk if it matters, really, but just passing along info :)
Mine was also rabavert. Not sure if there’s really any difference between the two kinds or not

How is Winfiels Village? My boss recommended them to me. He told me his wife and him lived there while he attended in the 2000's.
Also has anyone received the hard copy of their acceptance?
A few of the doctors I work with right now recommenced Winfield village as well to love at. I’ve been looking into it, seems really nice!

January 17, 2021 is that last day of Winter Break next yr.
We get December 19 to January 17 off for winter break??? I thought we only got like 2ish weeks off in winter??

• Hmm
For any IS students who have a parent/guardian that is a veteran, UIUC does offer a Child of Veterans Tuition Waiver which is applicable to vet students. Just wanted to put that out there because I don't think a lot of people know about it.

Does anyone know of any scholarship applications we can fill out?

Does anyone know of any scholarship applications we can fill out?

There aren't really any through the school for first years unless you decide to apply for the military veterinary program, which you'll get information for during the first quarter (and also isn't really through the school). You could look at external scholarships though.

We get December 19 to January 17 off for winter break??? I thought we only got like 2ish weeks off in winter??
No clue where you heard that from but we follow the same calendar for breaks and such as the main university so we do have that long ass winter break

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
No clue where you heard that from but we follow the same calendar for breaks and such as the main university so we do have that long ass winter break
Oh that's super nice!! I think I was just assuming it would be the same as the other schools I have looked into (Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc.)
Do you have a link to the academic calendar/where did you find the calendar you posted before? I have been trying to find it with no luck...

Oh that's super nice!! I think I was just assuming it would be the same as the other schools I have looked into (Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc.)
Do you have a link to the academic calendar/where did you find the calendar you posted before? I have been trying to find it with no luck...
The one I posted before is only available to students and you have to sign in to get it, but for breaks, you can look through the main university’s academic calendar. The ones past fall 2020 could potentially change a bit, but for the most part they should be accurate

For any IS students who have a parent/guardian that is a veteran, UIUC does offer a Child of Veterans Tuition Waiver which is applicable to vet students. Just wanted to put that out there because I don't think a lot of people know about it.

Is this only for in state students?

Will there be a way for us to find roommates before april when the waitlist moves? I am trying to do housing..not sure if anyone else feels the same?

Will there be a way for us to find roommates before april when the waitlist moves? I am trying to do housing..not sure if anyone else feels the same?
Definitely get on the free and for sale page. People post houses that they’re looking to fill rooms in. If you want people in your class, you could wait until your class page gets made by ASA and post there.