University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a facebook page?

Members don't see this ad.

First off congrats to those who were accepted. I am new to the forum. I wasn't matched but I was waitlisted per TCOM portal, interviewed in November (in state). Anyone else? When should I expect to hear back from the school?

Congrats to those who matched!!!

I got matched to another school, and I'd like to think that my prematch at TCOM went to one of you guys! We're all gonna be doctors!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
First off congrats to those who were accepted. I am new to the forum. I wasn't matched but I was waitlisted per TCOM portal, interviewed in November (in state). Anyone else? When should I expect to hear back from the school?
Same here. Does everyone that interviewed and didn't match get put on the waitlist? And what are the chances of getting pulled off the waitlist if I'm not medsci?

Bummer, waitlisted, just double checked my portal. Congrats to all who matched!

Congrats on all who matched! TCOM is FRAT-TASTIC!

Has anyone here been/know anyone who has been on the TCOM wait list or any other in-state list?
How big are those lists usually? Are you informed of your position on the list by the school?

Has anyone here been/know anyone who has been on the TCOM wait list or any other in-state list?
How big are those lists usually? Are you informed of your position on the list by the school?

Look up Roshie on here. She was waitlisted and showed a good example of what letters of intents can do if done right.

waitlisted according to my applicant portal, no official email or anything yet.

Have any accepted students been contacted for a background check? I was accepted before Christmas and haven't heard anything yet.

Have any accepted students been contacted for a background check? I was accepted before Christmas and haven't heard anything yet.
Silence for me since about October. The last communication I had was to submit transcripts and I only knew they were received because they removed it from my to do list. Maybe now that match day has passed we will start to hear more?

Do any of the current students mind sharing some insight on the student community/bonding/supportiveness? I know that TCOM has one of the bigger class sizes so I was just wondering what the atmosphere is like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of the current students mind sharing some insight on the student community/bonding/supportiveness? I know that TCOM has one of the bigger class sizes so I was just wondering what the atmosphere is like.

The bonding is huge and everyone works together. Definitely not a gunner type atmosphere. However, try to make sure you choose your resources wisely because you'll be presented to way more than you need. I think the downside to this is that the class avg is usually very broad throughout since most of everyone is getting the resources and help they need which means in order to be in the top you have to work way harder and if you distance yourself and don't utilize your peers and resources it's very easy to drop to the lowest rank even if you're a few pts below avg. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 5 users
official waitlist notice came via snail mail today if anyone is curious.

Reactions: 1 user
The bonding is huge and everyone works together. Definitely not a gunner type atmosphere. However, try to make sure you choose your resources wisely because you'll be presented to way more than you need. I think the downside to this is that the class avg is usually very broad throughout since most of everyone is getting the resources and help they need which means in order to be in the top you have to work way harder and if you distance yourself and don't utilize your peers and resources it's very easy to drop to the lowest rank even if you're a few pts below avg. Just my 2 cents.
yup I second this.

Does anyone know how waitlist acceptances work? Do they just go down the list as people drop or do they review files again and make X amount of calls after a few weeks or a month? I'm a little confused just because you don't have to put a deposit down. So how do they know exactly how many people they have in their class? Thanks.

Does anyone know how waitlist acceptances work? Do they just go down the list as people drop or do they review files again and make X amount of calls after a few weeks or a month? I'm a little confused just because you don't have to put a deposit down. So how do they know exactly how many people they have in their class? Thanks.

TCOM is very receptive to letters of intents so I guess that's a factor in their decision? You'll hear more towards May when people hear back from other schools and decide to go there instead. Not sure if the list is ranked or now, however. Each applicant has their own "score" based on their admissions equation thing on their website so I guess they would rank yall based on that.

TCOM is very receptive to letters of intents so I guess that's a factor in their decision? You'll hear more towards May when people hear back from other schools and decide to go there instead. Not sure if the list is ranked or now, however. Each applicant has their own "score" based on their admissions equation thing on their website so I guess they would rank yall based on that.

Ok thanks. I suppose I should get to writing then.

Can a current student talk about where most of the students live? And does TCOM do class facebook pages?

Reactions: 1 users
I'd say the vast majority live within 10-15 minutes of campus. Yes, there is a FB page for each class.

Just some points on what to do if on the waitlist:
1) Write a letter of intent, it helps out

2) Start beefing up your profile now! Do you think you have a weakness? Work on it! It sounds intuitive, but you'd be surprised how people go "oh whatever" to their own profiles. If you need more experience, do some shadowing, if your MCAT is horrible, weigh it with your GPA and see if you need to retake it. If you have a bad GPA (I did) and are adamant about TCOM or Texas, check out the MedSci program. Anything you do to beef yourself up, you should put into the LoI to show that even during downtimes, you are growing as an individual!

3) Plan out backups, and be ready to execute on crucial dates:
-13 March (MedSci apps due)
-1 May (TMDSAS/AMCAS/AACOMAS opens)
-1 June (submissions ready to turn in, also there is a massive shift in the waitlist in 2-3 week increments from this date)
-20 July (school starts, waitlist only accepts like one or two more people this week)

I wish everyone the best of luck on the waitlist; it is a rough few months, but keep at it and constantly work to improve yourself, and you will be a-ok! Any questions, feel free to ask or PM: I was a MedSci and had a less-than-happy GPA :)

Reactions: 4 users

https://www.facebook.com/groups/332513393626595/

This group was started by TCOM admissions, but I'm not sure why nobody joined. By this time last year, more than half our class was in that group. Did they not attach the link to your acceptance e-mails?

Edit: The fastest way to get people in the group would be to message Mike Kennedy and see if he can send the link I attached out to the rest of the class. It's going to be difficult for everyone to find that other group.

Yep, I'd stick with the "official" class page that has Mike Kennedy as an admin. I think eventually almost everyone will be on there.

Would any current TCOM/former MedSci student mind commenting on what to expect during this time in the application cycle? I've been waitlisted and have been told by professors that TCOM is just waiting for my Anatomy and Physiology grades (these two classes don't finish until early April) before making a decision. Should I hope to hear back from them after I update those grades? If you were waitlisted, how long did you wait to received your acceptance? Thank you in advance.

Does anyone know whether or not someone with an MCAT less than 28 would be required to retake the MCAT if accepted to the Medical Sciences program? And if they are is there a minimum they must score?
Thank you!

Does anyone know whether or not someone with an MCAT less than 28 would be required to retake the MCAT if accepted to the Medical Sciences program? And if they are is there a minimum they must score?
Thank you!
There is no official minimum MCAT score for MedSci or TCOM.

Thank you!
If you have a 28+, you don't have to take the MCAT prep course. Lower you have to take but they don't make you submit a score to GSBS or anything. You're "required" to take the MCAT again within so much time of completing the course, but you don't ever actually have to provide any proof.

I second @Roo14 - you are required to take the MCAT prep course, but you are not required to retake the MCAT. It is in your best interest for a retake so that you can make a better score. The whole point of MedSci is to become a more competitive medical school applicant, right? But with the new MCAT, I'm not sure how that will play out.

If we are rejected, would we find out today on Match Day?
Last year I was waitlisted on match day, and a friend was immediately rejected that same day. So if you see rejected; better luck next year; if you see waitlisted, keep the hope and do all the things already suggested.

Best of luck.

I'll be the first to say it but I got my rejection letter last week :(

I'll be the first to say it but I got my rejection letter last week :(
Don't give up! I was rejected 4 times before I got in
Just keep working hard and don't be discouraged!

Just some points on what to do if on the waitlist:
1) Write a letter of intent, it helps out

2) Start beefing up your profile now! Do you think you have a weakness? Work on it! It sounds intuitive, but you'd be surprised how people go "oh whatever" to their own profiles. If you need more experience, do some shadowing, if your MCAT is horrible, weigh it with your GPA and see if you need to retake it. If you have a bad GPA (I did) and are adamant about TCOM or Texas, check out the MedSci program. Anything you do to beef yourself up, you should put into the LoI to show that even during downtimes, you are growing as an individual!

3) Plan out backups, and be ready to execute on crucial dates:
-13 March (MedSci apps due)
-1 May (TMDSAS/AMCAS/AACOMAS opens)
-1 June (submissions ready to turn in, also there is a massive shift in the waitlist in 2-3 week increments from this date)
-20 July (school starts, waitlist only accepts like one or two more people this week)

I wish everyone the best of luck on the waitlist; it is a rough few months, but keep at it and constantly work to improve yourself, and you will be a-ok! Any questions, feel free to ask or PM: I was a MedSci and had a less-than-happy GPA :)

Could you guess or do you know about what percentage of people off the wait list actually get in?

Thanks!

Could you guess or do you know about what percentage of people off the wait list actually get in?

Thanks!
I really have no idea about the number of people on the waitlist or how many are accepted. 2014 stats show that 837 interviews were given and from that 454 acceptances were offered, from which 228 were chosen. I estimate:
-75% of people interviewed were waitlisted or accepted, 25% were rejected
-About 120 accepted during prematch/match and stayed there
-About 110-120 were accepted from the waitlist
-If they sent out 300-400 offers for immediate acceptance, then most likely the other 200-300 were waitlisted (MedSci included)

Really, it is a complex question to answer just because there is no indication on waitlist size, as well as there being so much overlap between Texas schools (since the TMDSAS application itself is extremely cheap, and there are no good excuses to not apply to TCOM) and those that are admitted. I wish I could give you a better estimation, but AFAIK, it sounds like it would be between 150 and 300 people.

TCOM offered me a scholarship. I have to accept by March 13th. Does anyone know if I can accept but without actually committing to the school? I haven't gotten any official package from TCOM or anything and I am still on the waitlist for other schools. Of course I would still love going here but I'm just keeping my options open

I really have no idea about the number of people on the waitlist or how many are accepted. 2014 stats show that 837 interviews were given and from that 454 acceptances were offered, from which 228 were chosen. I estimate:
-75% of people interviewed were waitlisted or accepted, 25% were rejected
-About 120 accepted during prematch/match and stayed there
-About 110-120 were accepted from the waitlist
-If they sent out 300-400 offers for immediate acceptance, then most likely the other 200-300 were waitlisted (MedSci included)

Really, it is a complex question to answer just because there is no indication on waitlist size, as well as there being so much overlap between Texas schools (since the TMDSAS application itself is extremely cheap, and there are no good excuses to not apply to TCOM) and those that are admitted. I wish I could give you a better estimation, but AFAIK, it sounds like it would be between 150 and 300 people.

It is complicated. Thanks for your estimation though! :)

TCOM offered me a scholarship. I have to accept by March 13th. Does anyone know if I can accept but without actually committing to the school? I haven't gotten any official package from TCOM or anything and I am still on the waitlist for other schools. Of course I would still love going here but I'm just keeping my options open

Congrats! I also received a scholarship with the same deadline. I'm still unsure where I want to attend but I did formally accept the award today.

When did y'all receive the scholarship offer?

Those who got the scholarship, congratulations! Is it a substantial amount (meaning will cover half, quarter or full tuition)? Are you OOS or IS? What is the basis of the scholarship award? Merit or need-based, or military, etc., or just random? How many folks get the scholarship, if you know? Sorry for too many questions.

The scholarship I received was need-based and it covers my full tuition. All I did was fill out the general scholarship application shortly after being accepted. (Not sure if that factored in though).

The scholarship I received was need-based and it covers my full tuition. All I did was fill out the general scholarship application shortly after being accepted. (Not sure if that factored in though).
Where did you find the general scholarship application? I didn't know we were supposed to fill one out.

Shortly after being accepted I logged on to the student portal and starting exploring it (probably out of excitement), I went to the student center and found scholarships section. I had time to spare so I started filling out the general scholarship application. I'm not sure if I had to fill one out for the scholarship I received but there are a bunch of other scholarships available that do require a general application. Although some scholarships ask for secondary apps or essays.

Congrats on the full ride!

That is what the jar of tongue depressors are for in the exam room :p (jk)
But there are plenty of awesome 'pay-it-forward' chances in school :D