University of Tennessee c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildZoo

Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone specifically mention that they are applying to UTK this year, but since I'll be joining the class of 2020 I figured I would start this thread. I might even be able to answer some questions!

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to take a shot at applying! Last minute add-on. I visited the school and loved it and the area! I do have a lower GPA but it's high enough to apply there as an OOS applicant. Phew!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I was hesitant because od my GPA but my husband was like "what do you have to lose?!" So I figured I would! He has a pretty solid job here in KC and that's another reason why I was hesitant but since he's all for it, might as well!

Hello! I'm applying to UT! I'm out of state, and my gpa isn't amazing... (3.5 overall, 3.4 science, 3.25 last 45), but I'm determined to make it to some vet school. Even so... I'm already preparing for rejections. I'm thinking about retaking courses I made Bs or Cs in for next year and gaining more experience in wildlife and large animal.

I applied to six schools- VT, FL, CA (long shot), LA, GA, UT.

Im applying to Mizzou(IS), K state, UTK, Michigan State, illinois, and washington state. Bonne chance!

Well Knoxville is a lovely place and from what I've seen UTK is a great school :) I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you guys!

I'm out of state as well. If I could change one thing it would be the OOS tuition lol

I'm thinking about retaking courses I made Bs or Cs in for next year and gaining more experience in wildlife and large animal.
Retaking B's probably wouldn't do much for you, retaking C's maybe would if you get A's. Depends on the classes and also on how the school handles retakes (some average the two grades, others do grade replacement).

Want want want.
Definitely applying, good luck to everyone!

When do OOS applicants typically hear from UT about interviews?

Everyone hears at the same time - should be late November to early December.

Thanks!

Can you tell me the pros and cons of UTK? I have never been there or to Tennessee in general. I'd like to know more about this university :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
First year applicant here! Resident, non-traditional. Really hoping to get in this cycle. Anxious to get an answer at all. Oh- how the time between submission and acceptance/rejection DOES NOT FLY AT ALL haha

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to UTK as an OOS first time applicant. Love the school... now we just wait!

Reactions: 1 user
Nope. I think interviews will start going out in December !

Their website says that we should know by December 15th!

a little less than a month! They still haven't told me if my biochem course matches their biochem pre-req........ did anyone else run into this issue?

a little less than a month! They still haven't told me if my biochem course matches their biochem pre-req........ did anyone else run into this issue?
way back when I applied :oldman: I had that issue. They finally figured out that it would only be worth 1 semester and they required 2. I ended up taking the overview course over the summer at MTSU. This was 8 years ago though...

way back when I applied :oldman: I had that issue. They finally figured out that it would only be worth 1 semester and they required 2. I ended up taking the overview course over the summer at MTSU. This was 8 years ago though...

good gosh... my biochem is only good for 4 credits (one semester)..welp... if they have an issue with this I'll just withdraw my application because I refuse to take part two of any biochem course :rolleyes:

good gosh... my biochem is only good for 4 credits (one semester)..welp... if they have an issue with this I'll just withdraw my application because I refuse to take part two of any biochem course :rolleyes:
It was because it didn't cover the topics they wanted. The MTSU course was actually a really good course.

Did they ask for further information on your biochem course? Cause mine is only one semester and 3 credits but I haven't heard from them regarding any questions for it..

I got the same email, and haven't heard back, either. My biochem class is pretty tough (taught as a graduate level class), and I would be annoyed if I'm going through all this work and it doesn't count!

Did they ask for further information on your biochem course? Cause mine is only one semester and 3 credits but I haven't heard from them regarding any questions for it..

They told me to send them a copy of the biochem syllabus, which I did . I am now waiting to hear back from them regarding whether or not it matches. I think you're fine if they haven't contacted you about it!

I got the same email, and haven't heard back, either. My biochem class is pretty tough (taught as a graduate level class), and I would be annoyed if I'm going through all this work and it doesn't count!
mine was tough, too. But they wanted specific topics covered. So it doesn't matter how tough it is.

Oh no, I understand that. I just meant that it would suck to go through all this work and it not count anyway!

Man, I'm glad I didn't have to go through that :/ my biochem class was only 3 credits but I guess they already knew it matched their requirements because they never asked me about it. Good luck you guys!

They told me to send them a copy of the biochem syllabus, which I did . I am now waiting to hear back from them regarding whether or not it matches. I think you're fine if they haven't contacted you about it!

Sweet! Thank you :)

Anyone know what traffic is like into UTK? Visiting to discuss residency tomorrow and our hotel checker-in person recommended an hour to get there at 8:15 am....our hotel is 6.9 miles away

Looks like interview invites went out last year at 12/10... not long now, guys!!

Guys, check your email. I just received early notification for an interview!

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't...... but then again, I haven't even received an email back about my biochem pre-req. I sent them my syllabus and haven't heard back from them...sigh* ah well.. life goes on :)... Do you know if they do IS or OOS first? One wave or multiple waves?

I haven't...... but then again, I haven't even received an email back about my biochem pre-req. I sent them my syllabus and haven't heard back from them...sigh* ah well.. life goes on :)... Do you know if they do IS or OOS first? One wave or multiple waves?
If I'm remembering correctly the interviews were all in the same week but they had different days for IS/OOS

I received an early notification for an interview today (11/24) also! Mine is 1/23! Good luck!

I got my early interview notification yesterday as well! Mine's set for January 9th. D: Could anyone with experience give any reassurances or tips for the interview? Is there anything in specific to watch out/prepare for? Or does it depend on the people that are interviewing you? I've heard that some are more "rigorous" and other times that the interview was pretty much a casual conversation.

I got my early interview notification yesterday as well! Mine's set for January 9th. D: Could anyone with experience give any reassurances or tips for the interview? Is there anything in specific to watch out/prepare for? Or does it depend on the people that are interviewing you? I've heard that some are more "rigorous" and other times that the interview was pretty much a casual conversation.
Just relax and don't be too anxious, it is a very conversational interview. In mine it really seemed like they just wanted to get to know me. They asked me a few things about my experiences, asked about my life outside of vet med a little bit, and I think asked one question about my opinion - the importance of the human-animal bond I think. Don't worry if you need to take time to think about your answers! It's better to take a minute to think of what you really want to say than to try to answer so fast that you just say the first thing that comes to mind.

They did ask me what I thought I could bring to the class that nobody else could, which was one of the more difficult questions. I don't much like talking about myself in that way ;)

Every year, the people interviewing change. So while there are the standard questions everyone is asked, who interviews you will play a big role in the nature of the interview. There is nothing to "watch out" for - no one is trying to trick you. You just need to be yourself - for better or worse - and answer the questions honestly.

Just received notification of early interview! I think this is only sent to IS students, others should hear back soon :)

on this note, it seemed to be open file to me because they asked about things in my application.

They've changed it in the last few years. I think they still have access to your PS, but it is otherwise closed.

on this note, it seemed to be open file to me because they asked about things in my application.

Thanks for the help! I didn't mean "watch out for" as in watching out for trickery. Just things that seem to be commonalities among all interviewers. From the vibes I get from people, it's just sort of like a conversation instead of a series of "unfair" questions which I can tell from mock-interview experience do exist.

I didn't know this forum existed! I received my early notification of an interview on Tuesday (11/24) for in state residency. I am a UTK undergrad currently. My interview is Jan. 23rd. Which is the last day of interviews. Does anybody know how they organize the interviews? I didn't know if it had anything to do with your current ranking whether your interview was early or late. Or if it is just me overthinking it!

OOS applicant here, wondering if any other OOS'ers have heard back? I imagine we'll be the last to know, but just curious ;)

I didn't know this forum existed! I received my early notification of an interview on Tuesday (11/24) for in state residency. I am a UTK undergrad currently. My interview is Jan. 23rd. Which is the last day of interviews. Does anybody know how they organize the interviews? I didn't know if it had anything to do with your current ranking whether your interview was early or late. Or if it is just me overthinking it!

The day of your interview is randomly assigned... It is not associated with rank at all.