USC (Keck) vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where Should I Go To School?

• USC

Votes: 92 68.1%
  • Tufts

Votes: 43 31.9%

• Total voters
COA for Tufts is $89,040 off-campus and USC is $80,680. Ouch.
yea they're both sooo expensive, but Tufts gave me a scholarship so Tufts it is.

Members don't see this ad.

yea they're both sooo expensive, but Tufts gave me a scholarship so Tufts it is.

Woo hoo! Awesome. But, watch....USC is going to offer you one too and you will have returned to your original dilemma.

Reactions: 1 user
Woo hoo! Awesome. But, watch....USC is going to offer you one too and you will have returned to your original dilemma.

HA! I wish. They already gave out all of their scholarships, so unless someone turns down their scholarship there's a slim chance of me getting one.

Members don't see this ad :)
HA! I wish. They already gave out all of their scholarships, so unless someone turns down their scholarship there's a slim chance of me getting one.

Why is it that USC doesn't offer need based aid? And does it mean that most of the students who attend USC can at least afford half of it?!

Why is it that USC doesn't offer need based aid? And does it mean that most of the students who attend USC can at least afford half of it?!

I have no idea why. When I first heard that I'm like is that even legal?! lol. It seems like a terrible flaw of the school, especially one that stresses diversity.

I think people either can afford (hence the nickname University of Spoiled Children) or they just have a crazy amount of loans (stafford and grad Plus etc.). And a small few get merit scholarships. To be fair I've heard they offer more aid during the remaining years of med school just not he first year. But I wouldn't one to take a chance on that.

They should really update their MSAR info because they state that "Awards are based on need, as demonstrated through a financial statement. Merit based awards are also available." 90% are on financial aid and the average indebtedness 194K according to MSAR but according to USNews (2015 data is from 2013), same indebtedness but only 81% receiving any financial aid.

Folks are withdrawing from USC like rats fleeing a sinking ship.
Well this bodes well for my chances of getting off the waitlist. I'll just pretend I haven't read anything about the financial aid packages yet and keep thinking about how much I enjoyed USC :p

Reactions: 1 users
They should really update their MSAR info because they state that "Awards are based on need, as demonstrated through a financial statement. Merit based awards are also available." 90% are on financial aid and the average indebtedness 194K according to MSAR but according to USNews (2015 data is from 2013), same indebtedness but only 81% receiving any financial aid.

Yea it's very misleading, but when I called the financial aid office last week the lady specifically told me they don't offer any need based aid. virtually everyone just has to take out loans unless you got a merit scholarship.

Last edited:
Whhhhaaaat! What is it????

Word from the USC thread is CoA first year is 86k. It's starting to make me reconsider USC, especially since my state school is "only" 52k the first year.

Word from the USC thread is CoA first year is 86k. It's starting to make me reconsider USC, especially since my state school is "only" 52k the first year.

Your state school is very good, and you'll get more for your money there in regard to living.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like USC is the west coast version of BU. It really sucks that the two best schools I got accepted to are so stingy with financial aid.

Reactions: 3 users
It sounds like USC is the west coast version of BU. It really sucks that the two best schools I got accepted to are so stingy with financial aid.
I beg to differ.
I got a generous need based scholarship from BU and my parents make $100k+.

Yea I remember thinking that when I was applying. They are so similar. Sorry, I hope it works out for you. At the end of the day, all doctors are able to pay off their debt. I think we'll all be fine.

I beg to differ.
I got a generous need based scholarship from BU and my parents make $100k+.

I am from a single parent household making ~40K, and BU gave me 15K/year, which was less than most lower ranked schools gave me. The breaking point was that their loans didn't even cover the remaining COA.

Last edited:
I am from a single parent household making ~40K, and BU gave me 15K/year. Maybe my perception of 'generous' is different than yours. The breaking point was that their loans didn't even cover the remaining COA.
I personally believe 15k in scholarship + BU loans is A LOT of financial aid, regardless of family situation. Theoretically, this is medical school and you are considered an independent. And all doctors are able to pay off their debt and live comfortably anyways

I've heard BU tends to be more generous with their financial aid.

I like to think of it as the good weather tax.

I personally believe 15k in scholarship + BU loans is A LOT of financial aid, regardless of family situation. Theoretically, this is medical school and you are considered an independent. And all doctors are able to pay off their debt and live comfortably anyways

I agree. I come from a family below the poverty line and despite my nontrad status, my savings are nearly depleted from postbac. None of the six schools that accepted me gave me need-based financial aid (except for one unofficial offer from SB). 15K is truly a lot in need-based aid.

Is it really fair that just because someone's parents make a little more that that student has only loans offered? In the end all of us will be doctors who can pay off our loans. If there's a huge difference in price than I guess that's one way to choose, but ultimately go where you'll be most happy. Hard to put a price on happiness.

Reactions: 2 users
tufts didn't give me anything; it's unbelievable. my parents only have 5k in their bank account. I honestly do not know how Tufts calculated my aid. I got all loans-- 111,446$ in loans for MD MBA. I honestly do not know what to do

I think you made a good decision. Money aside, your self-described reasons for Tufts seem more substantive like family, support, liking Boston, wanting to do residency in Boston.

Your pros for USC sounded more like a curious tourist. GL.

I think you made a good decision. Money aside, your self-described reasons for Tufts seem more substantive like family, support, liking Boston, wanting to do residency in Boston.

Hahaha. Thanks, and I think that's accurate.

That last statement actually helped me a bit with my own school choice. So double thanks. :)

Jesus! Well it's looking like Tufts it is then...
Based on your financial profiles now on both it looks like Tufts is now the better choice. I'm assuming you're not born into affluent circumstances where money is not an issue.

I'm eagerly awaiting to hear about your decision. I'm leaning heavily towards my Eintein scholarship over Keck as well.

I'm also curious to hear your decision. Mainly because I'm a nosy git.

Hey guys, I'm actually freaking out because this financial situation has made me realize that I really really want to go to USC . I really don't want to be in Boston/the Northeast (unless it's NYC) for another 4 years. I think I will be so depressed. I really want to be in a new environment. But taking on that much debt may not be wise. Currently, I'm trying to apply to a scholarship program to see if I can get all 4 years funded. As crazy as it seems, at the moment I'm leaning towards USC.

Hi RocDiva,
I know people have already said this, but if I were in your shoes, I would really think about which place would make you happiest. I spent a year in Boston for my post bac-program and, probably because I'm a born and raised Californian, I found the cold lifestyle over there miserable. It made me never want to leave the west coast again, but maybe that's because CA is home for me. I have also visited friends at USC several times, and the atmosphere of that school just appeals to me in so many ways. Sadly I was rejected from there a while ago. Perhaps you can justify giving less weight to the financial factor of your decision - Just because you don't have a scholarship now doesn't mean you can't keep applying over the summer and during medical school.

in conclusion - follow your heart.

Last edited:
Hi RocDiva,
I know people have already said this, but if I were in your shoes, I would really think about which place would make you happiest. I spent a year in Boston for my post bac-program and, probably because I'm a born and raised Californian, I found the cold lifestyle over there miserable. It made me never want to leave the west coast again, but maybe that's because CA is home for me. I have also visited friends at USC several times, and the atmosphere of that school just appeals to me in so many ways. Sadly I was rejected from there a while ago. Perhaps you can justify giving less weight to the financial factor of your decision - Just because you don't have a scholarship now doesn't mean you can't keep applying over the summer and during medical school.

in conclusion - follow your heart. we're all driven individuals, you'll find a way to make your dreams a reality.

Thanks. I really appreciate this post.

You could call USC, tell them about your scholarship at Tufts, and they could possibly throw some money your way (which I would think would be a merit scholarship). You never know what could happen until you try!

Hey guys, I'm actually freaking out because this financial situation has made me realize that I really really want to go to USC . I really don't want to be in Boston/the Northeast (unless it's NYC) for another 4 years. I think I will be so depressed. I really want to be in a new environment. But taking on that much debt may not be wise. Currently, I'm trying to apply to a scholarship program to see if I can get all 4 years funded. As crazy as it seems, at the moment I'm leaning towards USC.

I'm in the same boat, but both of the options I'm considering are in SoCal. I'm feeling insane for leaning towards USC as well... but I somehow feel like it'll be worth it in the end.

You could call USC, tell them about your scholarship at Tufts, and they could possibly throw some money your way (which I would think would be a merit scholarship). You never know what could happen until you try!

My brother got accepted to USC this year and tried leveraging more money, they basically told him to take a hike lol.

Yep I already tried leveraging money, and unfortunately they did not budge :(

Yep I already tried leveraging money, and unfortunately they did not budge :(

I feel your pain. I ultimately want to be on the west coast, but for me I couldn't justify the price tag relative to my state school, especially given that the match list this year shows that it's entirely possible to get there from here. If you really will be miserable here, then USC may be the best option, but the last thing you want is to find yourself cornered into a high-paying specialty(or working a high-paying position that makes you miserable) you hate just so you can pay off that debt. At least, that's how I thought about it. I'd like to leave poverty behind sooner rather than later and become more settled sooner rather than later. I also have family and will be 34 when I start residency, though, so those are factors that affected my decision that may not affect you. This is how I ultimately ended up dropping USC in favor of UMass.

BTW, did FL schools not show you any love?

Heads = Tufts
Tails = USC

Anyone have a quarter?

Fwiw, tails never fails.

I feel your pain. I ultimately want to be on the west coast, but for me I couldn't justify the price tag relative to my state school, especially given that the match list this year shows that it's entirely possible to get there from here. If you really will be miserable here, then USC may be the best option, but the last thing you want is to find yourself cornered into a high-paying specialty(or working a high-paying position that makes you miserable) you hate just so you can pay off that debt. At least, that's how I thought about it. I'd like to leave poverty behind sooner rather than later and become more settled sooner rather than later. I also have family and will be 34 when I start residency, though, so those are factors that affected my decision that may not affect you. This is how I ultimately ended up dropping USC in favor of UMass.

BTW, did FL schools not show you any love?

So I only applied to Miami and I was WL, and I removed myself from the WL a few weeks back. I'm not sure if I regret that now or not, but my thinking then was that I really didn't want to be at a school that had internal ranking. The students seemed on edge, plus the first 8 weeks are hell because they cram all of anatomy into 8 weeks and the students were complaining a lot about that.

It's weird because I changed so much throughout this process (I mean it is a year long process). So initially I didn't mind being in Boston, but if I'm hoest I didn't really think it would come down to this. Now that I truly imagine myself there I'm freaking out a little bit.

And good for you. I'm sure you'll be happy at UMass :)

So I only applied to Miami and I was WL, and I removed myself from the WL a few weeks back. I'm not sure if I regret that now or not, but my thinking then was that I really didn't want to be at a school that had internal ranking. The students seemed on edge, plus the first 8 weeks are hell because they cram all of anatomy into 8 weeks and the students were complaining a lot about that.

It's weird because I changed so much throughout this process (I mean it is a year long process). So initially I didn't mind being in Boston, but if I'm hoest I didn't really think it would come down to this. Now that I truly imagine myself there I'm freaking out a little bit.

And good for you. I'm sure you'll be happy at UMass :)
So if you went to USC, you'd have to take 80K in loans, and if you go to Tufts, you'd have to take 40K in loans?

Yep per year. So 345k total loans vs 160k.
So is it just weather that's making you hate Boston? Even though it makes you quite close to your family. Tufts is also "true" P/F, correct?

So is it just weather that's making you hate Boston? Even though it makes you quite close to your family. Tufts is also "true" P/F, correct?

Yea Tufts is a true P/F. Well it's the weather, the city of Boston and it might actually be good for me if I got away from my family. Plus I really want a change of scenery. In addition, USC has a much better hospital, my preferred patient population, better facilities, and a stronger SNMA community which is something that is really important to me. USC is also significantly more diverse than Tufts. I don't think I'd be miserable at Tufts, but I just greatly prefer USC.

I already withdrew from USC... I just can't justify the cost difference for me (which will be similar to yours). I know you are leaning towards USC, but please just make sure you understand the full extent of what almost 200k of extra debt means: less flexibility in specialty and job options, possibly having to delay starting a family or buying a house, not being able to save as much for retirement (or not being able to save as early) and therefore probably working past normal retirement age.

Obviously if you feel 100% certain that staying in Boston would make you depressed and make it difficult for you to do well in school, then take on the extra debt. But if you can stomach another four years in Boston, then go to Tufts.

Remember, medical school only lasts four years, but an extra 200k in debt is almost certainly going to affect you for at least 10-20 years, if not more.

Also re: the weather, I keep telling myself (I'm staying in the northeast for med school) that next winter can't possibly be as bad as this winter was...right?!? At some point we have to catch a break.

*cue next 4 years of horrific winters

Yea Tufts is a true P/F. Well it's the weather, the city of Boston and it might actually be good for me if I got away from my family. Plus I really want a change of scenery. In addition, USC has a much better hospital, my preferred patient population, better facilities, and a stronger SNMA community which is something that is really important to me. USC is also significantly more diverse than Tufts. I don't think I'd be miserable at Tufts, but I just greatly prefer USC.
I don't know how one can complain about Boston, since it's a great city but to each his own. I also think you might greatly appreciate having you family close by in the same state, so that chores are completed, your family can cook you meals, etc. while you're hunkering down studying for exams. That being said if you're going to be unhappy starting off by going to Tufts and might feel isolated from your classmates (I'm guessing due to not having too many URMs in the class), then you should go to USC.

I don't know how one can complain about Boston, since it's a great city but to each his own. I also think you might greatly appreciate having you family close by in the same state, so that chores are completed, your family can cook you meals, etc. while you're hunkering down studying for exams. That being said if you're going to be unhappy starting off by going to Tufts and might feel isolated from your classmates (I'm guessing due to not having too many URMs in the class), then you should go to USC.

Well my family is 90 minutes away, so it wouldn't be like that but I probably could visit once a month.

I already withdrew from USC... I just can't justify the cost difference for me (which will be similar to yours). I know you are leaning towards USC, but please just make sure you understand the full extent of what almost 200k of extra debt means: less flexibility in specialty and job options, possibly having to delay starting a family or buying a house, not being able to save as much for retirement (or not being able to save as early) and therefore probably working past normal retirement age.

Obviously if you feel 100% certain that staying in Boston would make you depressed and make it difficult for you to do well in school, then take on the extra debt. But if you can stomach another four years in Boston, then go to Tufts.

Remember, medical school only lasts four years, but an extra 200k in debt is almost certainly going to affect you for at least 10-20 years, if not more.

Thanks for offering this perspective. Wow would it really take that long to pay off 200k? Whats the average amount of years it takes a doctor to pay off let's say 170k in debt?

Well my family is 90 minutes away, so it wouldn't be like that but I probably could visit once a month.
Well, I'm saying your family could come visit you and stay over taking care of cooking, laundry, chores while you hunker down for exams. Try to understand the real difference of 185K in debt when it comes to finances. Might help to talk to someone in finance or banking in this regard, esp. since you don't necessarily want finances to dictate what specialty you choose.

If it's really going to affect you that much on the way you approach medical school mentally, bc it seems like there is so much more than meets the eye when it comes to why you like USC, then it may be better just to bite the bullet and take on the extra debt. Just make sure you have a realistic picture of what that debt is.