What would be the pros/cons of attending OUWB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlashMed13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have done quite a bit of research on the school but wanted to see if anyone could present me with additional information on pros/cons for Oakland's medical school.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Ppl generally prefer you present your researched list rather than asking us to do all the work for you on the off chance we come up with something you haven't.

I have a lot of thoughts about OUWB, tho, and am happy to share but how about you go first? I'm interested!

The pro/con list would be vastly different depending on your desires (ie where you are from, do you want academic medicine, competitive specialty, etc)

Personally, I think a competitive specialty and/or academic medicine probably isn't a problem for a top OUWB student. They had three ortho matches in their first class (out of 47 graduating.) A MGH anesthesiology match, a Harvard Longwood psych match. Lots of strong Midwestern academic institutions. Granted, if you have a precise place in mind where you want/need/must go, a more prestigious/established school might count for something. But I saw a lot to be excited about in that inaugural match list.

The fact that WB has very strong ortho and optho departments (with research opportunities) probably counts for something too. Small class size presumably yields more opportunities, as well.