Where to live in Philly for a Temple Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ranibiz

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be attending Temple in the fall and am trying to figure out housing and transportation. Being from the Midwest, I don't have a good gasp on Philly. Do any current Temple students or people familiar with Philly have suggestions? I am looking at Manayunk/Roxborough/East Falls or City Center. Where do most students live? I don't want to be stuck somewhere far away from other people and safety is very important to me.

I have the option of bringing a car and I am not used to using public transportation, so I am leaning towards the Manayunk area and driving to school. Good idea? How convenient is parking? How much should I expect to pay?

I also saw the graduate housing at the Podiatry school. Any thoughts on that option?
 
I will be attending Temple in the fall and am trying to figure out housing and transportation. Being from the Midwest, I don't have a good gasp on Philly. Do any current Temple students or people familiar with Philly have suggestions? I am looking at Manayunk/Roxborough/East Falls or City Center. Where do most students live? I don't want to be stuck somewhere far away from other people and safety is very important to me.

I have the option of bringing a car and I am not used to using public transportation, so I am leaning towards the Manayunk area and driving to school. Good idea? How convenient is parking? How much should I expect to pay?

I also saw the graduate housing at the Podiatry school. Any thoughts on that option?

Public transit in Philadelphia is quite decent. I will tell you now to stay out of Germantown. East Falls you're going to encounter a LOT of Drexel med students since the campus is literally right there. Unfortuntely North Philly has a lot of bad areas.

(actually going to Drexel, but Im from the area)
 
I will be attending Temple in the fall and am trying to figure out housing and transportation. Being from the Midwest, I don't have a good gasp on Philly. Do any current Temple students or people familiar with Philly have suggestions? I am looking at Manayunk/Roxborough/East Falls or City Center. Where do most students live? I don't want to be stuck somewhere far away from other people and safety is very important to me.

I have the option of bringing a car and I am not used to using public transportation, so I am leaning towards the Manayunk area and driving to school. Good idea? How convenient is parking? How much should I expect to pay?

I also saw the graduate housing at the Podiatry school. Any thoughts on that option?
I am 99.9% sure I will be attending Temple in the fall too, got into drexel too so I at least want to go to the accepted students day. But I am also from the Philadelphia area.
Those are all good places to live, aside from East Falls because you will encounter a huge amount of Drexel students. If you will have you car, and even if you don't another area to consider is Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill. It is a great area. Mt. Airy is nice but way cheaper than Chestnut Hill. You'll honestly go broke living there but if you have a fair amount of money coming into med school then it is also also bother area to consider.

You can also message me if you have any questions.