Where to live in Philly for a Temple Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ranibiz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending Temple in the fall and am trying to figure out housing and transportation. Being from the Midwest, I don't have a good gasp on Philly. Do any current Temple students or people familiar with Philly have suggestions? I am looking at Manayunk/Roxborough/East Falls or City Center. Where do most students live? I don't want to be stuck somewhere far away from other people and safety is very important to me.

I have the option of bringing a car and I am not used to using public transportation, so I am leaning towards the Manayunk area and driving to school. Good idea? How convenient is parking? How much should I expect to pay?

I also saw the graduate housing at the Podiatry school. Any thoughts on that option?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be attending Temple in the fall and am trying to figure out housing and transportation. Being from the Midwest, I don't have a good gasp on Philly. Do any current Temple students or people familiar with Philly have suggestions? I am looking at Manayunk/Roxborough/East Falls or City Center. Where do most students live? I don't want to be stuck somewhere far away from other people and safety is very important to me.

I have the option of bringing a car and I am not used to using public transportation, so I am leaning towards the Manayunk area and driving to school. Good idea? How convenient is parking? How much should I expect to pay?

I also saw the graduate housing at the Podiatry school. Any thoughts on that option?

Public transit in Philadelphia is quite decent. I will tell you now to stay out of Germantown. East Falls you're going to encounter a LOT of Drexel med students since the campus is literally right there. Unfortuntely North Philly has a lot of bad areas.

(actually going to Drexel, but Im from the area)

I am 99.9% sure I will be attending Temple in the fall too, got into drexel too so I at least want to go to the accepted students day. But I am also from the Philadelphia area.
Those are all good places to live, aside from East Falls because you will encounter a huge amount of Drexel students. If you will have you car, and even if you don't another area to consider is Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill. It is a great area. Mt. Airy is nice but way cheaper than Chestnut Hill. You'll honestly go broke living there but if you have a fair amount of money coming into med school then it is also also bother area to consider.

You can also message me if you have any questions.