2008-2009 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Placeholder for Prompt

Members don't see this ad.

MCW LOR Requirements

*Letters of Recommendation*

All letters of recommendation must be signed, printed on institutional letterhead and received directly from the author, university advising office or approved electronic provider. Letters from independent study, lab, and/or research courses _do not meet our requirement._

*Required **Undergraduate Letter(s):*

You will select one of the following options:

·One Premedical Advisory Committee Letter
·A packet of letters sent from your undergraduate institution (must include a letter from a Biology, Chemistry or Physics classroom professor).
·Two separate letters from classroom professors (one of which must come from the Biology, Chemistry or Physics department).

*Required** Graduate Letter(s): *(_in addition_ to undergraduate letters):

You will select one of the following options:

Recently Accepted - 1 letter
·One letter from the dean or department chairman - this letter must include a statement indicating that they are aware of your medical school application.

Currently Enrolled – 2 letters
·One letter from a major professor or thesis advisor
·One letter from the dean or department chairman - this letter must include a statement indicating that they are aware of your medical school application.

Previously Enrolled – 1 letter
·One letter from a major professor or thesis advisor

* Never Enrolled*

* Optional Letters *(Not Required)
You may add up to three optional letters of recommendation to your file. These are generally personal or professional in nature, such as research, clinical or work supervisor or a physician. If these are in a "packet" they need NOT be listed individually.

The most important part of your application to MCW is to apply early. It is one of the only schools in the nation that creates a final total score associated with your application that includes a score based on the date you completed your secondary. I wish I knew how important applying early was to MCW when I applied last year. I live 1 mile from MCW and didnt even get an interview despite having above average grades and MCAT for matriculation. I was accepted as an OOS student to two public schools in different states but never even got an interview at MCW.

To be honest I think MCW is a POS school. I am glad I will not be attending.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after verification till you guys got the MCW secondary e-mail?

mcw was really quick- they sent me mine around 11am on the 24th- 2 hrs after amcas released the first load of verified applicants. im pretty sure they send secs to all applicants, and there are no essays, so dont worry!

mcw was really quick- they sent me mine around 11am on the 24th- 2 hrs after amcas released the first load of verified applicants. im pretty sure they send secs to all applicants, and there are no essays, so dont worry!

Yes, everyone gets a secondary; however, if you're competitive, they'll send you an e-mail (sometime during the season) stating that you've been put into a smaller group of applicants eligible for an interview.

BTW..speaking from expereince.

Last edited:
Yes, everyone gets a secondary; however, if you're competitive, they'll send you an e-mail (sometime during the season) stating that you've been put into a smaller group of applicants eligable for an interview.

BTW..speaking from expereince.

Awesome, well hopefully I'll get the secondary e-mail soon... I was verified this morning...

Awesome, well hopefully I'll get the secondary e-mail soon... I was verified this morning...
Yeah Mine was sent right away, but dont forget to check y our Spam, thats were my email ended up.

Members don't see this ad :)

The e-mail I was referring to comes after you fill out your secondary (come on now, gotta take your money first :)). Also, I wouldn't expect it a day or two after you're complete; as I said earlier, it can come at anytime during the application season.

Yeah Mine was sent right away, but dont forget to check y our Spam, thats were my email ended up.

Ooh, that sucks. What mail service (i.e. Yahoo, GMail, etc.) are you using? I have GMail, and they're pretty good about sorting about Spam accurately. What email address was it sent from? I can always send it to my safe senders list to make sure it goes straight to my Inbox.

I think in general it's a good idea for everyone applying to check their Spam everyday just to make sure something important didn't get thrown in there.

Ooh, that sucks. What mail service (i.e. Yahoo, GMail, etc.) are you using? I have GMail, and they're pretty good about sorting about Spam accurately. What email address was it sent from? I can always send it to my safe senders list to make sure it goes straight to my Inbox.

I think in general it's a good idea for everyone applying to check their Spam everyday just to make sure something important didn't get thrown in there.
Im using my schools email..so who knows?

where are all you guys from? Any of you applying EDP?

Also, I too got the secondary within hours of being verified on the 24th, however just today was able to have my letters sent out, so they should be here this week I hope.

Application complete 6/30 for me... Yay my first complete file!

The most important part of your application to MCW is to apply early. It is one of the only schools in the nation that creates a final total score associated with your application that includes a score based on the date you completed your secondary. I wish I knew how important applying early was to MCW when I applied last year. I live 1 mile from MCW and didnt even get an interview despite having above average grades and MCAT for matriculation. I was accepted as an OOS student to two public schools in different states but never even got an interview at MCW.

To be honest I think MCW is a POS school. I am glad I will not be attending.

Does anyone know if you get these bonus points in your score for completing the actual secondary they send, or when your entire file is complete?

Does anyone know if you get these bonus points in your score for completing the actual secondary they send, or when your entire file is complete?

i sure hope it's for completing the actual secondary since everything's complete except for my MCAT scores

Anyone know?

I dunno, I "certified" my secondary on 6/25, but am still waiting for them to get my letters which were sent on Tuesday. I hope they give us some credit for having "certified" the secondary fairly quickly.

Are there any essays on the secondary for MCW?

has anyone heard anything yet regarding their secondary? Anyone know when they start offering interviews, I know they are on a rolling acceptance deal, so I was hoping we start hearing this week. Anyone know any differently?

has anyone heard anything yet regarding their secondary? Anyone know when they start offering interviews, I know they are on a rolling acceptance deal, so I was hoping we start hearing this week. Anyone know any differently?
hahaha dont count on it...I wouldnt expect nothing august or sept at the earliest.

Is everyone calling letters sent from Interfolio a "packet"?

Has anyone had trouble submitting the payment via credit card online? I tried it yesterday, and was told there was a "run time error". So I emailed the admissions office and they told me that the problem was fixed...but it happened again today. Am I the only one??

Does anyone know if you choose the "packet" option, how many letters are required?

so, 1 science, and 1 non science??

and then three additional ones that you add on at the end?? Someone please help. I feel like I should know the answer to this....but I dont'.

Does anyone know if you choose the "packet" option, how many letters are required?

so, 1 science, and 1 non science??

and then three additional ones that you add on at the end?? Someone please help. I feel like I should know the answer to this....but I dont'.

ya, at a minimum you need two letters from classroom instructors, one of which must be a science professor. After those two you can add up to three additional letters. For example, I had a letter from a physics professor and an english professor, and then I got one from someone who has known me professionally and been my supervisor for ~5 years.

Wow, MCW is really on the ball. I had submitted my app a while ago, but my letters were uploaded to VirtualEvals today and my status was marked as complete within just a few hours. :thumbup::thumbup:

Wow, MCW is really on the ball. I had submitted my app a while ago, but my letters were uploaded to VirtualEvals today and my status was marked as complete within just a few hours. :thumbup::thumbup:

Did they send you an email? How do you know if you are complete.

Did they send you an email? How do you know if you are complete.

I didn't get an e-mail when I was marked complete, but you can check the status page on the secondary website.

If my school is sending letters through virtual evals should I list the additional letters that I would liked to have reviewed at the bottom or no need to? thank you!

If I have a committe letter + packet, which option do I do?

And I have to get a letter from my Department chair as a grad? WTF.

On that note, I'd like to rant a bit.
I'm a grad student and trying to get a letter from my dean is like pulling teeth..pulling frikkin' teeth!!!!!!!
I don't know how many times I've stressed that I need it ASAP. He doesn't seem to care that students in his program are trying to succeed.

:mad: Still waiting.....

any one know how long it takes for instate residents to get verified by the Higher Education Aids Board...just sent mine out today

Don't expect to hear anything until about September 1 if you were complete the first day possible, and don't worry too much if you don't hear anything for even a bit after that. I think that's when I got the invite.

As for the in-state resident verification, I think that went pretty fast too.

Prowler (or anyone that can answer this)... what is considered late at MCW...I know they get a ton of apps and admit on a rolling basis

If I have a committe letter + packet, which option do I do?

And I have to get a letter from my Department chair as a grad? WTF.
I found this under the FAQ section of the website after I submitted the application. Crap...I may have chosen the wrong one.

Premedical Advisory Committee Letter: If your school has a Premed Committee that generates a cumulative letter. This is generally a single letter, but may have other letters attached.
Undergraduate institution packet of letters: If your undergraduate institution has a service that compiles all your letters and forwards them together with a cover letter.

Prowler, is that time frame similar for EDP applicants?
No, I would recommend calling (or checking the website) for that, because they interview in September.

Brodie - you should definitely try to be complete before August 1, but you're definitely pushing it if you wait until September 1.

can you be considered complete before residency is confirmed? thats all i am waiting on right now

Status
Not open for further replies.