2008 - 2009 New York Medical College Secondary Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ar2388

rads resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are no essays or any questions really, but I will post the LOR and LOE info in the next post.

Members don't see this ad.

General Information about Letters of Evaluation

• Our Mailing address is:
New York Medical College
Office of Admissions, Room 147
Administration Building
Valhalla, NY 10595
  • All letters must be on official letterhead.
  • Please request that your AMCAS ID be included on your letters.
  • All letters must be submitted directly to us by the Premedical Committee, the career placement office, the individual letter writer, or an approved online evaluation service. You may not submit letters yourself.
  • Re-applicants must re-submit Letters of Evaluation.
  • All required documents must be postmarked by January 31, 2009.

NOTE: If you graduated prior to 2006 (this does not include 2006) and are unable to obtain Letters of Evaluation from your school, we will accept other academically oriented letters. However, keep in mind that providing us with the requested letters will strengthen your application.

Undergraduate School Letters

• If your college has a Premedical Advisory Committee, a Letter of Evaluation from the Committee is preferred and will fulfill all undergraduate requirements. A committee letter does not require the names of individual letter writers.
  • If your college does not have a Premedical Committee, Letters of Evaluation from three undergraduate professors including at least two from science (biology, chemistry, physics, biomedical engineering or bioengineering). These must come from faculty who have taught you in class or have supervised independent research for which you have received credit.
  • One Letter of Evaluation must be from the department in which you majored, whether science or non-science.
  • Graduate School Letters
    If you are a matriculated graduate student or you have completed a graduate degree, please read this section.
    In addition to the undergraduate evaluation letters:
  • A letter from a faculty member in your department is required. This must come from faculty who have taught you in class or have supervised independent research for which you have received credit. If the letter is from a science faculty, it can substitute for one undergraduate science letter.
  • If you have just begun your graduate studies, or are in a non-degree program, you must submit one Letter of Evaluation from a faculty member whose graduate level class you attended or are attending this semester.
Optional Letters

• Letters from employers and/or volunteer clinical and community service experiences can be important. Although not required, letters from such experiences where you have spent significant amounts of time are recommended.
  • Employment references and references from volunteer work are excellent but they do not substitute for academic references.
  • Additional evaluations do not need to be listed unless you need to verify it has been received when you check your application status online.

We should have a timed race to see who can complete the application the fastest, the winner gets an automatic acceptance

Members don't see this ad :)
did i read it correctly in that if you are using a pre-health committee, you only need to list the school it is coming from? (and can leave all the names of recommenders blank?)

It's a bit early and my reading comp. is sucking..

Do we need undergraduate and graduate letters (since I'm in grad school?

So in instructions, it says... "completed these premed requirements or have them in progress."

I still have 1 bio class and 1 English class that I need to complete, and I've signed up for them for the fall semester. I haven't started the class though, obviously. Does this still count as "having them in progress"?

My school doesn't have a pre-med committee. It says we need at least two science letters...I have three, so do I still need the non-sci letter? If I don't, would I just put the third sci letter in the spot reserved for this non-sci letter? Advice from anyone who's had experience with this would be appreciated.

My school doesn't have a pre-med committee. It says we need at least two science letters...I have three, so do I still need the non-sci letter? If I don't, would I just put the third sci letter in the spot reserved for this non-sci letter? Advice from anyone who's had experience with this would be appreciated.

I dont have a committee either. Im gonna say you need to get a non-science letter if at all possible....however, just call admissions...i did earlier today about a question on the sec. and they answered quickly

P.S. cool name

We should have a timed race to see who can complete the application the fastest, the winner gets an automatic acceptance

LOL. You mean whoever can complete it the slowest gets an acceptance. har har har. :laugh:

About the letters, I also have the same questions because they list on their website that you must have at least 2 sci faculty letters and at least one in your major. So I didn't get a non-sci letter. if anyone fins out, please post it. THANKS!!

Don't we already have this thread? A lot of us got it on Tuesday.

Well I probably win then. I submitted it a good 10 minutes after I got the email Tuesday. Got to love the no essay apps!

UVAbme2009 - you can probably answer this for me since you go to UVA too :) I'm assuming you got that LoR from a prehealth advisor after the "interview." That is the "committee letter" right? Did you submit that or the individual LoR's?

I know that at least one of my science loR's should be really good whereas I don't have a clue what my prehealth advisor wrote... so I'm still debating.

From my understanding, we can't send like a "packet" of LoR's... right?

Members don't see this ad :)
About the letters, I also have the same questions because they list on their website that you must have at least 2 sci faculty letters and at least one in your major. So I didn't get a non-sci letter. if anyone fins out, please post it. THANKS!!

I only had 3 science letters, and when reading the req's, it said that at least 2 must be science and 1/2 must be from a major. So, from my undergrad, I don't have a non-science but i think its ok.

UVAbme2009 - you can probably answer this for me since you go to UVA too :) I'm assuming you got that LoR from a prehealth advisor after the "interview." That is the "committee letter" right? Did you submit that or the individual LoR's?

I know that at least one of my science loR's should be really good whereas I don't have a clue what my prehealth advisor wrote... so I'm still debating.

From my understanding, we can't send like a "packet" of LoR's... right?
I marked down that I was sending in both, which I have. I sent in the committee letter along with four individual letters (two major, one non-major, one PI). The committee stuff is so annoying because schools aren't consistent with their definition. Maryland told me the committee letter refers to ALL my letters, even though I'm the one sending everything in through Interfolio.

Its good to find a non-science one anyway. The vast majority of schools so far have required 2 science and 1 non-science.

I'm sending mine by my interfolio. No committee here...thankfully. I don't think they care THAT much, as long as they get the letters. They just don't want you sending them from your apartment or something.

I only had 3 science letters, and when reading the req's, it said that at least 2 must be science and 1/2 must be from a major. So, from my undergrad, I don't have a non-science but i think its ok.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It says "at least 2" must be science, but it doesn't say that you MUST have a non-sci.

Hey everyone, this might help some of you with the LOR stuff.
At my school they dont' provide a committee letter, per se, but they do collect all the letters, place them in a packet, and upload them into VirtualEvals. I called NYMC and told them all this and they said that this would count as a "Committee" on the LOR section of the application.
Hope that helped

At my school they dont' provide a committee letter, per se, but they do collect all the letters, place them in a packet, and upload them into VirtualEvals. I called NYMC and told them all this and they said that this would count as a "Committee" on the LOR section of the application.
Hope that helped

Hmm,

That stinks. They just copied and pasted the instructions. I just listed the required letters and left the optional ones blank because it really isn't a committee letter, but my school is like another VirtualEvals.

So they say that Bio, Chem, Phys, etc. counts as `science`. I`m a physiology major, so my science letters are from Physio professors. Does anyone think this will be a problem? Anyway, my pre requisite courses each had 600 or more people in them soooo.......the prof was more like a celebrity instead of a teacher.

So they say that Bio, Chem, Phys, etc. counts as `science`. I`m a physiology major, so my science letters are from Physio professors. Does anyone think this will be a problem? Anyway, my pre requisite courses each had 600 or more people in them soooo.......the prof was more like a celebrity instead of a teacher.

I would assume that physio will count under the umbrella of biology for their purposes.

I would assume that physio will count under the umbrella of biology for their purposes.

Thanks! So that makes two who agree.

So I submitted the secondary (greatest secondary ever by the way), and I checked my status and it's a tad confusing.

Under "secondary application" it says that it was received, and the payment was received, etc.

Then under that it says in bold (as a title) "Letters of Recommendation received" or something like that.

I know this might sound like a dumb question, but does that mean that the letters have ACTUALLY been received or is that a title? For those of you who definitely wouldnt have the recs in, what does it say?

Thanks!

So I submitted the secondary (greatest secondary ever by the way), and I checked my status and it's a tad confusing.

Under "secondary application" it says that it was received, and the payment was received, etc.

Then under that it says in bold (as a title) "Letters of Recommendation received" or something like that.

I know this might sound like a dumb question, but does that mean that the letters have ACTUALLY been received or is that a title? For those of you who definitely wouldnt have the recs in, what does it say?

Thanks!

I wondered the same thing when I saw that....but there is no way that it means they are received....didnt they even say somewhere that it might take a week or whatever to verify letters? plus I think under the heading it says that letters arent verified until reviewed.

This is what my application status page says:

Letters of Evaluation Received
In order to view your received evaluations your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office.

I'm guessing that doesn't mean the letters were actually received, but it's the section title under which your LOEs will go once they have been received.

Copied from their instructions:

• If your college does not have a Premedical Committee, Letters of Evaluation from three undergraduate professors including at least two from science (biology, chemistry, physics, biomedical engineering or bioengineering). These must come from faculty who have taught you in class or have supervised independent research for which you have received credit.
  • One Letter of Evaluation must be from the department in which you majored, whether science or non-science.

So from my understanding, they want 3 LORs total and 2/3 must be science and 1/3 is from your major dept, whether it is science or not.

My question is:
If I am a bio major, does that mean I need 3 science LORs?

Thanks!

Copied from their instructions:

So from my understanding, they want 3 LORs total and 2/3 must be science and 1/3 is from your major dept, whether it is science or not.

My question is:
If I am a bio major, does that mean I need 3 science LORs?

Thanks!

Im gonna go with a no on this one as well....you need at least 2 science profs. and if one of those is not in your major then have at least one other professor who is in your major....otherwise I think a science prof. who is in your major satisfies both qualifications

Can you send in more than 3 letters? I have 5 that's coming from Interfolio, 3 of which fulfills NYMC's requirement

Can you send in more than 3 letters? I have 5 that's coming from Interfolio, 3 of which fulfills NYMC's requirement

yes, it says somewhere in the instructions that optional letters are encouraged from people outside of school....I sent in 5 as well

Im gonna go with a no on this one as well....you need at least 2 science profs. and if one of those is not in your major then have at least one other professor who is in your major....otherwise I think a science prof. who is in your major satisfies both qualifications

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..........

So they want 3. Out of the 3 they want 2 science. Out of the 3 they want 1 in your major. But if my major is bio, then the 3rd one can be from any prof.

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

wow 100 bucks to tell them that I have no relatives that attended there, nice!!!

wow 100 bucks to tell them that I have no relatives that attended there, nice!!!

thankfully they seem to be accepting fee waivers this year, although somewhere else they say they do not.....

Hope that helped

Um they just told em the opposite, that I eneded to list each individual writer in the packet. Lol?

Thanks!

This is what my application status page says:

I'm guessing that doesn't mean the letters were actually received, but it's the section title under which your LOEs will go once they have been received.

ya i agree with chad. i think once your letters are actually received, they'll place it under that title "Letters of Evaluation Received"

Um they just told em the opposite, that I eneded to list each individual writer in the packet. Lol?

haha seriously? well i guess it's too late for me since i already submitted. i wish everyone in their office was on the same page, though... :-/

So if I have more than 3 letters, do I enter the other two on the next page under OPTIONAL evaluator? It asks for course and college info but my letters are from EC and volunteering at a clinic??? What did u guys do?

thankfully they seem to be accepting fee waivers this year, although somewhere else they say they do not.....

how do i get a waiver? i was late for amcas' fee waiver. can i still qualify?

Haven't gotten this secondary yet

I have a pre-med committee letter...should I also be sending in more letters of recom?

I have 3 science letters, and no non-science too. I just put my third in the non-sci spot and submitted it. =P

I did 2 science, 1 non, and 2 volunteer/personal... hope they are ok with that- there were enough blank areas for it lol

submitted and lor sent to them (through interfolio not sure if on official letterhead though :/ )

did i read it correctly in that if you are using a pre-health committee, you only need to list the school it is coming from? (and can leave all the names of recommenders blank?)

Can someone answer this? This is my assumption as well...

Can someone answer this? This is my assumption as well...

That sounds about right......if you have doubts just call there number...its easy and fast and they are very helpful...I called earlier today

ok so i'm doing 2 sciences, 1 non-science and 1 from my volunteer club.

so I put the 1 from my volunteer club under optional 1, just the name and title, but then when i click continue it says I have to enter in the course# and name etc...
So how do you guys enter in the optional letters?

ok so i'm doing 2 sciences, 1 non-science and 1 from my volunteer club.

so I put the 1 from my volunteer club under optional 1, just the name and title, but then when i click continue it says I have to enter in the course# and name etc...
So how do you guys enter in the optional letters?
I put N/A...and then 0 for credit hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.