To Cleveland Clinic Interviewers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the same boat as LittleRocker. CCLCM is my top choice, but I am also waiting to hear from nonrolling schools and to get financial aid packages. I expect there to be some waitlist movement, so don't give up hope.
Your situation is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You already have acceptances to six other great research-oriented schools besides CCLCM, and you're still waiting on decisions from a few more. So at least six med schools are going to be disappointed when you don't come, maybe more. Way to go with all those acceptances, by the way. :thumbup:

Hey CCLCMER. Thanks for the ray of hope. Not meaning to be pessimistic. I appreciate your optimism and sincerely do hope that we do see some movement off the waitlist. Heck, I would be ecstatic!
I wasn't meaning to criticize you. It's just that there are a lot of people out there with multiple acceptances, and they will have to decline all but one soon. When they do, some spots will open up at every med school, including CCLCM.

Members don't see this ad.

Got the notification that I'm on the hold list today. :) Thank God I'm still in the running! Does anyone know how large the waitlist at CCLCM is?

are they inviting all hold people to second look?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an email informing me that I am on hold, however they invited me to the CCLCM second look. CCLCM is still my top choice however, I don't want to get too excited because I don't want to get let down. I look forward to meeting other prospective students at second look.

*Edit*- Xylitol, at least from what the letter said that was attached along with the hold email I don't think they are inviting all hold people to second look. I'm not sure how many people they are inviting from the hold list.

Last edited:
I just received an email informing me I am on hold, however they invited me to the CCLCM second look. CCLCM is still my top choice however, I don't want to get too excited because I don't want to get let down. I look forward to meeting other prospective students at second look.

I have been on hold since December, and I just received an invitation to the second look weekend as well...

Odd... I just got the email about second look but not the hold email.... They wouldn't invite me if I was rejected right??

I'm sad because the second look overlaps with the second look of Vandy and Weill..... I really want to go and CCLCM is def my top choice but i know my chances of getting in from the waitlist are slim.

Hmm. I did not get any such email about second look...

I wonder if that means anything. I hope it just means that my email is slow.

Just got the hold letter in the mail to go along with the email. I guess it's not over yet! :D

This sounds scary, no email to me :(

No email here either. Someone have the guts to call and ask tomorrow?

No email here either. Someone have the guts to call and ask tomorrow?

Not I, I would be rather devastated if I don't hear something positive, and I don't think they will say the email must have been lost on its way :)

I emailed them to ask about it. :) Hopefully I will have a response for you guys soon.

Hey..For those who DID get a second look invite. Could you let us know if...

1. You were also invited to case 2nd look weekend
2. How close to CCLCM are you?

I spoke with the admin office and they said those are the 2 main factors of hold pool people being given second look invites. That you aren't necessarily out of the running if you didn't get one and the hold pool is not technically ranked yet.....still is unsettling though.

Members don't see this ad :)

I spoke with the admin office and they said those are the 2 main factors of hold pool people being given second look invites. That you aren't necessarily out of the running if you didn't get one and the hold pool is not technically ranked yet.....still is unsettling though.

Thanks for getting that info for us.

1. You were also invited to Case 2nd look weekend?

I haven't been invited to Case 2nd look weekend.

I'm currently living on the East Coast, so not super close. I will have to book a plane ticket.

1. I was accepted into CCLCM but was put on hold at Case. I didn't get a second look invite to Case, as far as I am aware.

2. I am in Arkansas so I will have to fly (again... /sigh)

Yes all 32 acceptances have gone out. Everyone who has not been rejected is still considered in the "hold pool." A waitlist has not been made yet. The waitlist is unranked but will be divided into top, middle and bottom. The office said those who interviewed and haven't heard anything yet will get a letter this week telling them that they are hold pool or rejected.

Decisions on whether to accept/reject must be made by april 15 for those who have been offered. At this time all 32 have accepted their spots and must relinquish all acceptances to other schools by april 15. However, if those accepted to CCLCM are taken off a waitlist at another school between april 15-May15 they have until may 15 to let CCLCM and will be let out of their contract.

THey sounded skeptical that anyone would decline their acceptance and as I said until this point everyone has tentatively said yes. So I wouldn't expect too much movement on the waitlist. I personal think there might be 0-3 spots that open, more likely the 0 end. They also said they try to keep their class even..ie if a guy drops his spot they fill it with another guy etc. Soo...yeah...

Anyways, best of luck ya'll in whatever your adventures might be. Hope you are all looking at acceptances elsewheres. I do believe me and this forum done unless a miracle happens and I get pulled off the waitlist. God Bless. Peace out.

i've noticed some inconsistences between recent posts in regard to the waitlist...how can the hold pool not be ranked (as recently posted)? it seems to me that some people, such as zpiff and Dango, are already "ranked." zpiff because he said he was notified of his "top" group status and Dango because he has been invited to second look without the two criteria (case second look and proximity). if we've already been on hold, will another letter be sent soon telling us of our tier status? i am confused...

on another note, i believe CCLCM interviewed 250 this year (according to recent Insight newsletter)...obviously 32 have already been accepted...but does anyone know how many were rejected and how many were waitlisted?

Last edited:
Hi Everyone. Just wanted to chime in on this thread, I was accepted in the last batch on 3/5 along with Little Rocker. :p. I am thrilled and admittedly mystified about how they chose out of so many people. I am definitely going to both the Case UP and College second looks in April, I hope to meet some of you there :)

Officially, I think that CCLCM SAYS that the waitlist is not ranked (this was in direct response to asking them on my interview day), but obviously they may have their own internal ranking system for grouping applicants. I think that if you are serious about wanting to attend CCLCM, writing letters of intent will definitely help you distinguish yourself from the maybe people on hold, although the degree to which it helps is probably modulated by how many people write letters of intent. CCLCMer would probably have more inside knowledge and additional info on this.

Good luck to you all! :love::luck:

Hey guys, after I was rejected I inquired as to how to increase the strength of my application for next cycle. Here was the reply I got:

Sorry it took me some time to get back to your request. Here is what I would recommend. Rewrite the essays. We pay a lot of attention to all of them in the secondary. Do additional shadowing with a doctor and describe how much time you spent on that in the activities list. Describe in detail more about your volunteer activities with the church and others. We look for sacrifice of personal time for others. Interviewers look for folks who are humble, show evidence that they are willing to say “I made a mistake,” evidence of forgiveness etc. but overall I believe your interviews went well. Good luck next year but I wouldn’t be surprised if you don’t get an offer somewhere this year.

Warm wishes,
Kathy Franco

Let's take a look at her last sentence again:

"Good luck next year but I wouldn’t be surprised if you don’t get an offer somewhere this year."

Either her use of litotes was an accident or she was being a complete $%&#* (especially considering her friendly sign off). I thought she was really nice when I met her...

Hey guys, after I was rejected I inquired as to how to increase the strength of my application for next cycle. Here was the reply I got:

Sorry it took me some time to get back to your request. Here is what I would recommend. Rewrite the essays. We pay a lot of attention to all of them in the secondary. Do additional shadowing with a doctor and describe how much time you spent on that in the activities list. Describe in detail more about your volunteer activities with the church and others. We look for sacrifice of personal time for others. Interviewers look for folks who are humble, show evidence that they are willing to say “I made a mistake,” evidence of forgiveness etc. but overall I believe your interviews went well. Good luck next year but I wouldn’t be surprised if you don’t get an offer somewhere this year.

Warm wishes,
Kathy Franco

"Good luck next year but I wouldn’t be surprised if you don’t get an offer somewhere this year."

Either her use of litotes was an accident or she was being a complete $%&#* (especially considering her friendly sign off). I thought she was really nice when I met her...

hmm, very interesting...

however, this is what i think:

look how she says, "good luck next year" then immediately says "but" after that, i.e. she's about to say something different. Therefore, the only thing different from thinking you're not getting in this year (when she said "good luck next year") is "being surprised if you don't get in this year". That's why I think it was a spelling mistake.

hope that makes sense...lol

:D

I don't think she was trying to be rude at all. :) The last sentence is the kind of thing that sounds friendlier when spoken. I think she meant that she wouldn't be surprised if you got in somewhere this year.

Warm wishes,
Kathy Franco

Anyone think that the reason why the rest of us havent heard is because we are getting a snail mail rejection instead? I certainly hope not but I cant help but to consider the possibility.

Anyone think that the reason why the rest of us havent heard is because we are getting a snail mail rejection instead? I certainly hope not but I cant help but to consider the possibility.

I wish I knew the answer to that. Everything about this program tugs at my heartstrings, so it's hard to deal with all this uncertainty. I would give anything to be able to attend. :/

Got the notification that I'm on the hold list today. :) Thank God I'm still in the running! Does anyone know how large the waitlist at CCLCM is?
Sorry, I'm not sure, but I will try to find out next time I see Dean Franco.

are they inviting all hold people to second look?
No, only some of the people on hold.

Odd... I just got the email about second look but not the hold email.... They wouldn't invite me if I was rejected right??
No, if you got invited to second look, you were definitely not rejected. :p

i've noticed some inconsistences between recent posts in regard to the waitlist...how can the hold pool not be ranked (as recently posted)? it seems to me that some people, such as zpiff and Dango, are already "ranked." zpiff because he said he was notified of his "top" group status and Dango because he has been invited to second look without the two criteria (case second look and proximity). if we've already been on hold, will another letter be sent soon telling us of our tier status? i am confused...
There are tiers of hold this year, which they didn't do before. But within a tier, there won't be a ranking. Hope that makes sense.

on another note, i believe CCLCM interviewed 250 this year (according to recent Insight newsletter)...obviously 32 have already been accepted...but does anyone know how many were rejected and how many were waitlisted?
No, but I will see if I can find anything out for you guys.

Hi Everyone. Just wanted to chime in on this thread, I was accepted in the last batch on 3/5 along with Little Rocker. :p. I am thrilled and admittedly mystified about how they chose out of so many people. I am definitely going to both the Case UP and College second looks in April, I hope to meet some of you there :)
Congrats, and glad you can make it. :hardy:

I think that if you are serious about wanting to attend CCLCM, writing letters of intent will definitely help you distinguish yourself from the maybe people on hold, although the degree to which it helps is probably modulated by how many people write letters of intent. CCLCMer would probably have more inside knowledge and additional info on this.
I agree. A LOI probably doesn't help before you get on the waitlist, but once you are on it, Dean Franco will want to know if you really want to come here. Also, if you have any updates (new grades, pubs, ECs, etc), you can send those to her too.

Sorry, I'm not sure about this either. Good luck, I hope things go well for you. :xf:

Warm wishes,
Kathy Franco

Please accept my apology. It should have read "do get an offer."

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Couldn't help but peek into this thread... congrats to everyone who's been accepted to CCLCM! And now I see that Dr. Franco has a SDN account. I think things just got a little bit awkward for ONOY..

Couldn't help but peek into this thread... congrats to everyone who's been accepted to CCLCM! And now I see that Dr. Franco has a SDN account. I think things just got a little bit awkward for ONOY..

haha :) I was already rejected (not even put on hold) so it couldn't really get any worse for me regarding CCLCM! I'm considering not even reapplying to med school after my ePiC fAiLuRe this cycle. I hate to let people tell me that I can't do something, but that's exactly what's happened.

P.S. Apology accepted Dean Franco, and, as previously stated, I did think you were really nice when I met you. You remind me of the most recent dean of my tutorial program.

FYI, CCLCM's First Match list (from word of mouth)

Int Medicine
Duke
Beth Isreal
Michigan
UNC
Yale
Stanford
Cornell
Vanderbilt

General Surgery
Wash U (StL)
Brown

Neurosurgery
Emory
George Washington

Orthopedics
Hospital for Special Surgery
UCSF
Utah

Ob/Gyn
Beth Isreal
Hawaii

Urology
Cleveland Clinic
Wake Forest

Opthamology
Clevaland Clinic
UCSD

Pediatrics
CHOP (UPENN)
Duke

Anesthesia
Cleveland Clinic

Rad Onc
Rochester

Radiology
UPENN

Pathlogy
Mass General

Dermatology
Yale

Emergency Medicine
Cincinnati

Wow is that really her?
Yes. Does it really surprise you that she'd be reading SDN?

JDWflash44 said:
Thanks for posting the match list, JDWflash44. It's a pretty awesome day here in Cleveland. :hardy: :banana: :soexcited:

Int Medicine
Duke
Beth Isreal
Michigan
UNC
Yale
Stanford
Cornell
Vanderbilt

General Surgery
Wash U (StL)
Brown

Neurosurgery
Emory
George Washington

Orthopedics
Hospital for Special Surgery
UCSF
Utah

Ob/Gyn
Beth Isreal
Hawaii

Urology
Cleveland Clinic
Wake Forest

Opthamology
Clevaland Clinic
UCSD

Pediatrics
CHOP (UPENN)
Duke

Anesthesia
Cleveland Clinic

Rad Onc
Rochester

Radiology
UPENN

Pathlogy
Mass General

Dermatology
Yale

Emergency Medicine
Cincinnati

Awesome match list! I know you mentioned it was just word of mouth, but I only counted 29 students. Did some students not match, or are they doing something else for the upcoming year?

Awesome match list! I know you mentioned it was just word of mouth, but I only counted 29 students. Did some students not match, or are they doing something else for the upcoming year?

They all matched. Some students are staying on to pursue a PhD or other degree.

I think what is even more impressive is the number of folks who matched at their top choice. For instance, all 3 ortho people matched at their #1.

Impressive indeed.:thumbup:

So if we're on the hold list and we didn't get invited to the Second Look, is it safe to say we probably have no chance of getting in?

Well, she obviously didn't want OnlyNeedOneYes to think she was insulting him. :)

Yeah I was glad she cleared that up, I was a little surprised/insulted when I didn't understand how to interpret what she was saying. I mean, I don't anticipate getting in anywhere but I didn't need to hear it bluntly. It was nice of her to come on here and post.

So, who is all thinking of going to the revist at CCLCM?

I'm going to revisit! and I'm excited to meet everyone. :)

I'm revisiting too :p It takes me a whole day to fly out to Cleveland, so unfortunately I'm going a day early...since it would be humanly impossible to take a red-eye :D

So, who is all thinking of going to the revist at CCLCM?

I'm going to revisit! and I'm excited to meet everyone. :)

I'm revisiting too :p It takes me a whole day to fly out to Cleveland, so unfortunately I'm going a day early...since it would be humanly impossible to take a red-eye :D
I'm glad you guys could all come. It's going to be awesome! I'll see you at the student lunch on Friday. :)

Alright guys, I went ahead and made our class Facebook group (and revealed my secret identity in the process :eek:)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=69334532457
I already knew who you were. I was sitting at your table today at lunch, so now we're evenly outed. ;) Hope you and everyone else had a great time this week, and also hope to see you all in July! If anyone has questions or needs help with anything (finding housing, etc.), feel free to PM and I will help you or help you find someone else who can help you.

Any Updates for people on the Wait List?

So if we're on the hold list and we didn't get invited to the Second Look, is it safe to say we probably have no chance of getting in?

I was wondering the same thing. It seems strange that some were invited and some weren't. Any insight?

I was wondering the same thing. It seems strange that some were invited and some weren't. Any insight?

I am in the same boat. Just think of it positively, we still have a chance. Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.