2012-2013 Louisiana State University - Shreveport Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, but for those of you applying here, how are you working through the whole Shreveport being one of the only schools that doesn't take letters directly from AMCAS? Should I tell my career center to send letters to AMCAS and directly to Shreveport?

Just curious, but for those of you applying here, how are you working through the whole Shreveport being one of the only schools that doesn't take letters directly from AMCAS? Should I tell my career center to send letters to AMCAS and directly to Shreveport?

Yes, you are correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to much action going on so far, maybe everyone is still studying for MCAT. I am ready to take this monster and let it all be over!

EDP here! Submitted my application last night, just waiting for AMCAS verification and letters of rec.

Anyone else doing EDP?

Have you already received your secondary?

I have not. I don't think they're getting sent out until the end of the month, though. I'm not exactly sure when secondaries come out? I thought that AMCAS didn't release apps until June 27th or so, but my AMCAS says it is now available to med schools, so I really have no idea. It was just verified on the 18th, though, so your mileage may vary.

Are you EDP, NodForce?

EDP here. Verified last week but no 2ndry yet.

I have not. I don't think they're getting sent out until the end of the month, though. I'm not exactly sure when secondaries come out? I thought that AMCAS didn't release apps until June 27th or so, but my AMCAS says it is now available to med schools, so I really have no idea. It was just verified on the 18th, though, so your mileage may vary.

Are you EDP, NodForce?

I'm not EDP, but I am trying to apply as early as possible to as many schools as possible. Third application cycle and I'm just hoping to hear something back early as possible!

On the secondary for LSU-Shreveport, do they ask you to report if you have ever been arrested even if the charges have been expunged?

I have not received a 2ndry yet but I'll let you know when I get it. I know LSU New Orleans sent their 1st ones out on June 29th. You may want to try their forum since their 2ndry should be similar to Shreveport's.

After looking at previous years' application threads, it seems that Shreveport doesn't send out secondaries until July 10-14th or thereabouts. Hopefully it's relatively short since that's a quick turnaround for EDP deadline on August 1!

Hey Guys. Just wanted to say I'm applying ED as well. Trying to think positive, but does anyone have any ideas on the numbers in terms of how many applications they get for ED and how many the accept? Anyone know the lowest MCAT score they've accepted. Much appreciated and good luck the rest of the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I *believe* I saw on a previous thread that one year they got 22 EDP applications and took 18 or 19. Don't quote me on that, though... I know at New Orleans, you have to have a 3.5 and a 10 on each MCAT section so I assume that the guidelines are similar at Shreveport.

I really hope you're right passerine, but I'm skeptical because those numbers seem way too high. 18/22 is way too high of an acceptance rate.

I thought the same thing when I saw that thread. It may have been that they interviewed 22 EDP and took 18 or 19 of those who interviewed.

Got the secondary about an hour ago. We have to talk about our most fulfilling experiences in healthcare, leadership, research, and volunteering. (Why can't they just look at AMCAS?)

It doesn't specifically say, but if I have no actual research to my name, I guess I can skip that part? Unless I can talk about working in a lab on campus, but I doubt that's what they want.

They also have us list the grades we got in pre-reqs, as well as psychology and foreign language classes. And there's a place to explain hardships.

Last edited:
Got my secondary today around 4:00pm. I've completed most of it, but I have one question. Should I only add 6 hours of my additional required course work, or all of the classes I have that fall within the categories given in the form?

On the secondary for LSU-Shreveport, do they ask you to report if you have ever been arrested even if the charges have been expunged?
Did not see a specific question about that on the secondary.

Did not see a specific question about that on the secondary.

LSUNOLA does ask for this though.

Anyone here using the LSU premed committee? Insights into how long it will take to be completed/submitted? e.g. are we talking end of July or early September here?

Got my secondary today around 4:00pm. I've completed most of it, but I have one question. Should I only add 6 hours of my additional required course work, or all of the classes I have that fall within the categories given in the form?
It should not hurt to add all of the biology, chemistry, physics, and English courses since they are already on the AMCAS. I would also add any psychology and foreign language courses.

LSUNOLA does ask for this though.

Anyone here using the LSU premed committee? Insights into how long it will take to be completed/submitted? e.g. are we talking end of July or early September here?
If you are EDP, LSUHSC-S needs to receive those letters before August 1st.

If you are EDP, LSUHSC-S needs to receive those letters before August 1st.

I'm not EDP, just worried that becoming complete too late will lower my chances of snagging an interview.

Got the secondary about an hour ago. We have to talk about our most fulfilling experiences in healthcare, leadership, research, and volunteering. (Why can't they just look at AMCAS?)

It doesn't specifically say, but if I have no actual research to my name, I guess I can skip that part? Unless I can talk about working in a lab on campus, but I doubt that's what they want.

They also have us list the grades we got in pre-reqs, as well as psychology and foreign language classes. And there's a place to explain hardships.

ETA: I'm taking a final prereq over the summer. Should I wait until the end of July to submit the secondary so that grade be included? Or submit ASAP and update them with the grade later?
For EDP 2ndry, it may be too late to wait till the end of July. I would try to call LSUHSC-S admissions and ask what needs to be done. They may let you send them an official transcript directly once you have a letter grade. On the AMCAS, there should be a course status that indicates your course is in progress but you can call them and ask them too. For EDP, AMCAS should be submitted ASAP so it has time to be verified before August 1st deadline.

For EDP 2ndry, it may be too late to wait till the end of July. I would try to call LSUHSC-S admissions and ask what needs to be done. They may let you send them an official transcript directly once you have a letter grade. On the AMCAS, there should be a course status that indicates your course is in progress but you can call them and ask them too. For EDP, AMCAS should be submitted ASAP so it has time to be verified before August 1st deadline.

Whoops, I should've specified in my post that I'm not EDP. I'll still contact them to ask if they'd rather me submit before the grade or after.

ETA: E-mailed admissions and received a response within a few hours. I was told that since I'm not EDP, I can wait until the end of July to submit my secondary, so my summer prereq grades will be in.
So, I'm assuming I won't be at a disadvantage in getting an interview if I wait a few weeks to turn it in at the end of summer session, because they're going to concentrate on EDP first. According to the website, they don't send out interview invites for regular decision until October anyway.

Last edited:

The LSU pre-med committee meets every two weeks beginning in May (running til September, I think), and they review 25 applicants per meeting. I believe if you are EDP you had to turn in your application to the committee before most applicants, so they can review you in the first set of meetings.

I'm not ED and turned my application into the committee about five days before the deadline. My letters from them were just submitted to AMCAS this week (you'll get an e-mail notification). The committee says they review applicants in the order in which their committee applications were completed, but this includes when your professors turned in their LORs to them.

Last edited:
Any idea what days/when they will begin reviewing completed applications for early decision? How does the process work once you submit everything?

Any idea what days/when they will begin reviewing completed applications for early decision? How does the process work once you submit everything?
From last year's forum, it looks like they did not interview anybody before the second half of September. It also looks like the first acceptance notices went out the first week of October but I may be wrong since they are obligated to let EDP applicants know of their decision by October 1st. A rejection notice later than that date will make it nearly impossible to apply to some of the other schools with earlier general admission deadlines.

They should start reviewing them pretty much as soon as everyone is complete, I think. They almost have to, in order to send out interview invites for August/September so that everyone has an answer by October 1. Unfortunately there haven't been too many EDPers on the previous years' threads (at least for Shreveport), so there's not too much to look back on.

Just out of curiosity, would any EDP applicants mind sharing what it is about LSU-S that strongly appeals to them? I'm applying to all LA schools RD and think I'd choose N.O. if I had to pick right now, but that's probably because I've toured it before and it's closer to home. I'd like to hear people's reasons for applying ED to Shreveport, because obviously that's some passionate & committed interest. Maybe some current students could chime in with what they think about their school?

I just want to hear various opinions so I can learn as much as I can outside of the school website...the Shreveport threads seem to be pretty quiet most of the time on SDN =/

Just out of curiosity, would any EDP applicants mind sharing what it is about LSU-S that strongly appeals to them? I'm applying to all LA schools RD and think I'd choose N.O. if I had to pick right now, but that's probably because I've toured it before and it's closer to home. I'd like to hear people's reasons for applying ED to Shreveport, because obviously that's some passionate & committed interest. Maybe some current students could chime in with what they think about their school?

I just want to hear various opinions so I can learn as much as I can outside of the school website...the Shreveport threads seem to be pretty quiet most of the time on SDN =/

I did EDP at S'port for a few reasons.

1) I've been told by a number of people in the know that they really look highly on people who have done ED. Mostly its because they are usually the safety school and like to know they have sure-bet students. In fact, if you look at the numbers, ED is the way to go if you have all your ducks in a row.

2) I'm from North-LA. If I have to go through Hell, I'd rather go through it knowing my family and friends are just down the road (or in my mom's case, the hall). Also, people from NOLA seem to hate S'Port because it's 'boring'. It's not boring, it's just different. I'm from the country and like Shreveport because everyone seems to also be from the country or grew up there or whatever. In other words, I want to be around people that don't look at me stupid because I wear boots and say, "I'll tell you what" or "Where's the cornbread, ya'll?"

3) Finally, Shreveport is a regional healthcare center. LSUHSC-S has the best burn unit in the state, it is the regional trauma center, cancer center, biomedical research center, etc. All things being equal, I want to train and learn at a medical school that is attached to the best hospital in the area, not just another hospital in town.

I want Shreveport because it's home. I live in Baton Rouge now and as much as I love it, I can't wait to get back home and walk around the R.W. Norton gardens, eat a Strawn's pie, catch a movie at the Robinson, and drink a beer at Our Place.

Thanks for the response, cbgeek! Interesting points, especially about the regional healthcare center. That never really occurred to me.

...Now, if/after I interview there, I'm gonna have to go sample one of these "Strawn's pies" of which you speak :)

Thanks for the response, cbgeek! Interesting points, especially about the regional healthcare center. That never really occurred to me.

...Now, if/after I interview there, I'm gonna have to go sample one of these "Strawn's pies" of which you speak :)

It's right down the road on King's Highway. My dad has been taking me there and George's my whole life. Everyone gets the Strawberry, but I think the chocolate is best.

How much info should I put in the 255 character prompts? Do I need to just identify them and let my AMCAS app do the talking or should I go into as much detail as the space provided will allow me?

I think I'm going to try to shorten my "most meaningful descriptions" on AMCAS for the secondary, but basically say the same thing. I'd like to say "see AMCAS" but if they want these answers right in front of them on the secondary, I might as well just repeat myself and not risk looking like I don't want to spend time on this particular app.
Although, I wonder, when it says "most fulfilling experience" should I talk about a particular volunteer activity in general (like I did on AMCAS), or one SPECIFIC experience that occurred through that activity?

That's a good question. I'm going to talk about my time with the organization through which I had my most meaningful volunteer experiences.

I feel like the whole app is very vague. I'm worried they did that on purpose so the app would be a kind of "test". As a potential med student, I am naturally stressed about any test I encounter. Real or perceived. :)

1. I chose Shreveport because it's a smaller school and seems to have a really nurturing atmosphere. I believe Shreveport's classes are about 115-120 compared to NO's 180-190. Coming from one of the biggest universities in the country, you really come to appreciate the value of a small class size when it comes to learning; of course, you give up some opportunities in areas like research, but feeling comfortable and at home was more important to me.

2. Oddly enough, I chose Shreveport the city over New Orleans as well, even though I adore New Orleans. Lower cost of living + less traffic + fewer distractions + safer.

Overall, it's just a matter of personal taste, I suppose.

Has anyone been able to call the office to check on application status? I've tried the last two Thursdays at the designated times but it goes straight to the answering service... I left a voicemail too, but no one has gotten back to me :(

Same. I called only yesterday, but several times, at the time they alloted. One ring and straight to voicemall. Frustrating. I just want to make sure they received all the materials. Hopefully they have, because I think it will be too late next thursday to mail a check in before the August 1 deadline if I find out something is missing.

I called this afternoon and explained that I had called yesterday, etc. Ms. Hatcher said she had to leave the office yesterday afternoon, and she went ahead and checked my file for me today. She was super nice, and I'm all complete! I'm sure you can call Monday and explain and she will work with you.

As a born and raised Shreveporter, Strawn's chocolate pie is definitely the one you want to try.

Status update email: "Your application is under consideration for a possible interview."

Anyone else get anything?

Status update email: "Your application is under consideration for a possible interview."

Anyone else get anything?

I got exactly the same thing today. I guess this is the standard "complete" e-mail. I'm RD, so based on last year's thread I'm not expecting to get an interview invite til early September or late August (at the very earliest).

Last edited:
Based on last year's threads, the RD interviews start toward the end of September/beginning of October and continue through the spring, sometimes even as late as April. They seem to admit within a month or so of interviewing most of the time.

Here's the time frame and list of deadlines from the Shreveport website: http://www.lsuhscshreveport.edu/Admissions/TimelineandDeadlines.aspx

Basically (from what I can tell), they start interviewing RD people while they're sending out EDP decisions, and start notifying people between the end of October or early November on through the spring as people interview. Not sure if the interviews take place in the order that applications are completed, or level of interest, or what.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.