2012-2013 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 Words Max.)
Please list the undergraduate university you are attending or have graduated from.

Have you graduated?
If yes, what have you been pursuing since you graduated? (150 Words Max.)

Are you currently working for or have worked for one of the following organizations?

Are you participating or have participated in a study abroad program at your university?
If yes, please give a short description. (100 Words Max.)

What was the single most meaningful volunteer experience you have had? (150 Words Max.)

List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college. (150 Words Max.

Are you fluent in a second language?
If yes, what language do you speak?

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (e.g. athletics, art, music, items you collect, genre or favorite author reading material). (150 Words Max.)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't mind me, just another applicant....

Does anyone have an MSAR handy or remember what Tulane's class profile looked like (e.g., average GPAs and MCAT scores)? I'm very interested in applying here, but need to know if I'll be competitive once I get my MCAT scores back.

Thanks in advance.

Don't mind me, just another applicant....

Alright man, this is like the 20th time I've seen you post the exact same thing. What was the point?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have an MSAR handy or remember what Tulane's class profile looked like (e.g., average GPAs and MCAT scores)?

Median: 3.55, 32Q, class size 188, 85% OOS.

just a side note: their average verbal score is an 11. that's irregularly high for a school with a 32 cumulative average...seems like they have a bias towards that section?

Median: 3.55, 32Q, class size 188, 85% OOS.

just a side note: their average verbal score is an 11. that's irregularly high for a school with a 32 cumulative average...seems like they have a bias towards that section?

Much obliged, folks. That is a little weird. I don't think I've ever seen a school with such a bias toward verbal. Weird.

Just popping in! :) Secondary info anyone?

smart. 10,221 apply and 407 are interviewed.

I just happened to be looking at my interview folder from Tulane and based on Class of 2015, it was 10,210 applicants and 637 interviews. So maybe a little nicer that those numbers but no safety.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just happened to be looking at my interview folder from Tulane and based on Class of 2015, it was 10,210 applicants and 637 interviews. So maybe a little nicer that those numbers but no safety.

thanks for the info. i used the MSAR, but i'm not sure which class it's from.

does anyone know when Tulane sends out secondaries or what the prompts are?

Just got the secondary but I don't have time to look at the prompts.

Just got the secondary

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 Words Max.)
Please list the undergraduate university you are attending or have graduated from.

Have you graduated?

Are you currently working for or have worked for one of the following organizations?

Are you participating or have participated in a study abroad program at your university?

What was the single most meaningful volunteer experience you have had? (150 Words Max.)

List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college. (150 Words Max.

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (e.g. athletics, art, music, items you collect, genre or favorite author reading material). (150 Words Max.)

if we have had no leadership positions, are we really just supposed to write "I have not held any leadership positions."? or try to use some examples of how we have acted like a leader in other situations

if we have had no leadership positions, are we really just supposed to write "I have not held any leadership positions."? or try to use some examples of how we have acted like a leader in other situations

I would put down positions that can be construed as leadership, even if it's not the typical "I was secretary of this club and organized this long-term service project." For example, I'm including my role as an alumni advisor to a statewide organization for high school students. If you never did anything that involved leadership, I would just be honest and state that instead of trying to shoehorn in isolated experiences where you acted like a leader, because it seems like a very cut and dry question.
I feel you, though. Leadership in extra-curriculars is not one of my strong points =/ Hopefully the time I spent doing other things will make up for that.

Should we describe said leadership experiences, though? Since the limit is 150 words? I want to simply put "SEE AMCAS" but I'll hold my tongue.

Also, after reading some of last year's thread and witnessing the Great Cullings of July and August, I'm wondering if it'd be appropriate to send the adcom an update at the end of July (assuming I survive that long)? So I can update them on grades for my summer classes? I'd also use that opportunity to explain a downturn in grades during a certain semester. I didn't explain in my PS because I really wanted to focus on the positives & my motivations for medicine....but now I see on Tulane's secondary there isn't a place to explain lapses or provide the adcom with "anything else you'd like us to know" like on some secondaries I've received. Would a pre-fall, pre-interview invite update letter not be a good idea?

ETA: I'm very interested in the MD/MPH program, but I'm not 100% sure. Is checking that box just a gauge of interest? Are the combined degree programs' admissions processes separate from those who just apply regular MD? Basically I'd love to talk in an interview about why I'm interested in an MPH, but if I have a better chance of getting in with only MD, that's what I'll be going with.

Last edited:
Do they have fee waivers if we have FAP?

EDIT: Yes they do, a fee reduction from 125 to 62.50

Just got the secondary

Have you graduated?

Can anyone forward me the Tulane secondary e-mail? I just got it an hour or so ago, and was trying to make a folder in my e-mail to hold all the secondary e-mails... and they ALL disappeared. I have friends who have forwarded me the ones from other schools, but I can't find anyone who applied to Tulane. I have contacted the Tulane admissions office via e-mail, but I'm anxious. My email is [email protected]

Alternative Service Spring Break doesn't = study abroad does it? Maybe I'm being neurotic here...:cool:

I would put down positions that can be construed as leadership, even if it's not the typical "I was secretary of this club and organized this long-term service project." For example, I'm including my role as an alumni advisor to a statewide organization for high school students. If you never did anything that involved leadership, I would just be honest and state that instead of trying to shoehorn in isolated experiences where you acted like a leader, because it seems like a very cut and dry question.
I feel you, though. Leadership in extra-curriculars is not one of my strong points =/ Hopefully the time I spent doing other things will make up for that.

Should we describe said leadership experiences, though? Since the limit is 150 words? I want to simply put "SEE AMCAS" but I'll hold my tongue.

Also, after reading some of last year's thread and witnessing the Great Cullings of July and August, I'm wondering if it'd be appropriate to send the adcom an update at the end of July (assuming I survive that long)? So I can update them on grades for my summer classes? I'd also use that opportunity to explain a downturn in grades during a certain semester. I didn't explain in my PS because I really wanted to focus on the positives & my motivations for medicine....but now I see on Tulane's secondary there isn't a place to explain lapses or provide the adcom with "anything else you'd like us to know" like on some secondaries I've received. Would a pre-fall, pre-interview invite update letter not be a good idea?

ETA: I'm very interested in the MD/MPH program, but I'm not 100% sure. Is checking that box just a gauge of interest? Are the combined degree programs' admissions processes separate from those who just apply regular MD? Basically I'd love to talk in an interview about why I'm interested in an MPH, but if I have a better chance of getting in with only MD, that's what I'll be going with.

it says list, so just list your leadership positions, that's what I'm taking it as.

I received the email as well. Time to get to work!

Can any current students weigh in on the Baton Rouge vs NO clinical program? Can we choose after second year or are we locked in from the time of matriculation? I think both sound good and am leaning towards checking both boxes on the secondary.

What is this baton rouge noise? Seems interesting

I think that's what I'm going to do. I didn't have anything in college, but at work? Yeah, I guess. It seems pretty specific so I'm just going to say I didn't have any.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I didn't have anything in college, but at work? Yeah, I guess. It seems pretty specific so I'm just going to say I didn't have any.

i'm sure you can find something to write about in terms of your leadership. i think leaving it blank is a mistake. they must value leadership if they ask about it specifically.

Anyone else having trouble with this most meaningful volunteer experience question?

Anyone else having trouble with this most meaningful volunteer experience question?

Just start writing about what you got out of an experience and hopefully it'll go from there.

Does anyone know if we can apply for both options (Baton rouge or New Orleans)? I don't care which one and would rather pick both if it improve my chances.

Does anyone know if we can apply for both options (Baton rouge or New Orleans)? I don't care which one and would rather pick both if it improve my chances.

They let you check both boxes.

I know the website technically allows you to check both, but the question does only ask for one...I'd like to check both, but I feel like that wouldn't be following the instructions.

If it wasn't acceptable to check both they wouldn't give you the option to check both.

thoughts on using a volunteer experience from high school? i talked about it briefly in my personal statement, but i'd like to use this to expand on it because it's what turned me to medicine. i wouldn't have too much more to say about my volunteer experiences from college aside from what's in my primary already.

I wrote about a specific meaningful encounter while volunteering. I think its pointless to just spill the same information reworded.

any thoughts on what to do if my PS was mainly about my most meaningful volunteer experience? I dont want to beat a dead horse....

Sent in my secondary a few days ago but I think this is going to be a long shot for me since my MCAT score I just got back is a 27... not quite the 30 requirement you seem to need...

Sent in my secondary a few days ago but I think this is going to be a long shot for me since my MCAT score I just got back is a 27... not quite the 30 requirement you seem to need...

30 is an average, not a requirement. You will have a shot if everything else in your app is on point.

sorry if this is a stupid question, but would volunteering to lead a fundraiser event (logistics, planning, executing, etc) be considered a "volunteer" experience? or would you consider that more leadership..?

sorry if this is a stupid question, but would volunteering to lead a fundraiser event (logistics, planning, executing, etc) be considered a "volunteer" experience? or would you consider that more leadership..?

Spin it whichever way you want.

Another question on the "most meaningful volunteering experience" question:

I wrote about my most meaningful experience in AMCAS after checking the box indicating it was most meaningful! I can't go into any more depth than I have already in the AMCAS description of this "most meaningful" activity. I was thinking about write about something else entirely but wouldn't it seem weird if I wrote about another "most meaningful" volunteer experience (seeing as "most meaningful" should indicate that there is only one such activity of this level of meaning). Thoughts on this?

Thanks!

How do we tell if the school has received our letters of recommendation?

How do we tell if the school has received our letters of recommendation?

On a related note, does anyone know if they send out a "complete application" email or if we can check our application status without calling them?

My letters are all in, secondary submitted yesterday but the confirmation screen just said something like "thanks for registering," not your application is now complete ...

Status
Not open for further replies.