2008-2009 Albany Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is just my opinion that you can't judge a city's crime rate by a cab ride. I want to reassure you that the area around albany is safe, and I can only disagree with you that albany is run down.

Let me give an example of my own experience. My first interview was at a school that I was really interested in. I thought the area around my hotel was awful (there were a lot of bombed out warehouses). I came awful close to just saying, this city is crap compared to albany. But then I realized I was only seeing a slice of this city, I hadn't seen the downtown area or anything. Later I spoke with my friend who is from that area and told her I felt like the city didn't seem too nice compared to albany, and she agreed that it had its rundown part - as do ALL cities- but that it had its nice parts too. So anyway, I feel like it's hard to judge a city by your first impression (especially in winter, haha). But we have no time to see any of these cities so what do you do? Go with your gut I guess, and try to read about them.

You see, I'm a native to this area and I'm a little touchy haha. Anyone who ever wants to pm me to ask anything specific is always welcome to, by the way.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to post that today I was invited for an interview at the end of april. I'm excited to visit Albany and see the school. I'll be arriving the afternoon prior to my interview-- any suggestions about what to do/see? Any current students I can stay with? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I was on the UC list. I thought I'd be waiting a while longer to hear any news. Good Luck!

Yeah, I was on the UC list. I thought I'd be waiting a while longer to hear any news. Good Luck!

You must have had some pretty good committee review scores. Congrats! I called the office a few minutes ago to ask if there were any forms or financial aid documents I should be looking for...some other schools that I am waitlisted at sent financial aid forms anyway. She said that she didn't know of any forms for those on the UC list, but she also said (again, canned response probably) that they are "expecting significant movement" come May 15th. We'll see. Not to take away from your acceptance though, that's great news.

dodger--i received an email about a month ago from the financial aid office asking me to fill out an online application. i haven't filled it out yet because there are 3 essays asking me why i choose albany. I'm currently on the UC list...so I'm not able to really answer the questions yet. Just thought i'd let you know.

Thanks everyone!

It came via email. The email said that an official letter is on its way.

FWIW - I never recieved any notice about filling out financial aid info.

Thanks everyone!

It came via email. The email said that an official letter is on its way.

FWIW - I never recieved any notice about filling out financial aid info.

Hey! congratulations! :thumbup: Are you decided or is it still up in the air?

Interviewed and received email that I am on the UC list.

The student mixer was good, nice bunch of students, seemed very happy with the school

School tour guide was enthu, good facilities. Anatomy lab from outside, as good as it can get, contrary to some of the postings

Was interviewed by two faculty members. Very nice folks, very objective, wanted to understand my commitment, what it takes to be successful at med school and as potential good doctor. Good discussion.

Admissions folks were good, really appreciated the email response that I got within a week of interview. Few colleges are that prompt.

Will go to Albany if I get it.

Wish me luck and to others on the various wait/hold lists.

All the best to the folks who got accepted.

Interviewed and received email that I am on the UC list.

The student mixer was good, nice bunch of students, seemed very happy with the school

School tour guide was enthu, good facilities. Anatomy lab from outside, as good as it can get, contrary to some of the postings

Was interviewed by two faculty members. Very nice folks, very objective, wanted to understand my commitment, what it takes to be successful at med school and as potential good doctor. Good discussion.

Admissions folks were good, really appreciated the email response that I got within a week of interview. Few colleges are that prompt.

Will go to Albany if I get it.

Wish me luck and to others on the various wait/hold lists.

All the best to the folks who got accepted.

Nice to hear about a pleasant experience at Albany, good luck in the weeks to come; hopefully you can make your way in off off of that UC list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if it is possible to find out where one ranks on the UC list? Would they tell you on the phone that you are near the top or near the bottom etc.?

Well, I interviewed on 03/16, but wasn't discussed until 03/31. I heard yesterday that I am on the UC list.

Does anyone know if it is possible to find out where one ranks on the UC list? Would they tell you on the phone that you are near the top or near the bottom etc.?

They are pretty tight-lipped about that. I don't think they are game to tell rankings, especially because there are still interviews pending.

I got in too on the 1st! I am so excited to finally get starting planning for next year! I personally loved the school, and the faculty were fantastic. I got in off the UC list, which obviously seems to have a good amount of movement, even early on.

Well, I interviewed on 03/16, but wasn't discussed until 03/31. I heard yesterday that I am on the UC list.

I was in ur interview grp on 3/16. I was told that I've been placed on the UC too since the end of last week. I really enjoyed my stay at Albany, hope we both get in eventually :).

I heard from the medical students I was with that the UC/waiting list even moves A LOT at Albany, so you have hope of getting in for sure. One guy was even quoted as saying "Probably 60-70% of people who interviewed last year actually ended up with an acceptance offer, just some came REALLY late". Although I think this was a bit of an exaggeration, it does show that their UC and waiting lists are known to move! One girl I stayed with even got in the day before orientation began!

I got in too on the 1st! I am so excited to finally get starting planning for next year! I personally loved the school, and the faculty were fantastic. I got in off the UC list, which obviously seems to have a good amount of movement, even early on.

How do you hear when you get off the UC list? Is it email or postal mail?

Thanks!

Through email....

"Dear _____

Congratulations!

We just couldn't wait to tell you that you have been accepted for
admission to the Albany Medical College.

A letter of acceptance, which describes the conditions upon which
this offer is made is being sent via surface mail and should arrive
within a week to ten days.

We hope you are as pleased to receive this good news, as we are to
send it."

And it was just on a random day... I literally opened the email in the middle of working and had no idea what to do. I turned to my boss and said "I got into medical school?"

Anyone interview last week and being considered today?

guessing from the lack of posts today that the committee didn't meet? Or, no one on sdn interviewed last week...

uhhh i got an interview invite a few days ago..... isn't it a bit late?! I was kind of shocked...

So, funny story. I talked to Joanne Nanos last Wednesday over the phone and she wanted to let me know that they weren't going to be inviting me for an interview, but she wanted to make sure that I had a plan for next year since I had participated in the Albany Med REU program last summer and also one of my LOR writers was an Albany alum. I told her that I was accepted somewhere else and she was somewhat shocked and then she said not to add insult to injury, but I would be receiving an e-mail letting me know the status of my application. This morning I got an e-mail saying I was put in the "hold" category haha. After she told me I wasn't going to be invited for an interview...oh Albany you're so special.

Has anybody heard anything today?

Yeah, I got my interview invitation on the 16th. Saw an email from Albany and thought "oh boy another rejection via email." Needless to say I was shocked.

I haven't been following this thread too closely...has anyone determined what it means to be in the 'under consideration' category? It is my understanding that this category is not the official waitlist. Is this correct?

Has there been any movement from this category in the past few weeks?

Under consideration means that Albany treats their applicants like ****.

There, I said it.

Many schools have these categories. Pre May 15th they put everybody who isn't immediately admitted into an under consideration category. They move the list periodically throughout the admissions cycle and admit students accordingly all the way through May 15. On that day (or somewhere around it). They turn the UC category into a waitlist, which I believe is ranked.

There is movement in the UC category, as I was admitted from it in April. I feel like this is common at many schools.... hate the system not necessarily Albany.

PS- The waitlist also moves quite considerably at AMC from what I hear. So just have hope and hang in there, it's a LONG drawn out process anywhere you apply.

Interviewed a week and a half ago, got on the waitlist today. I liked Albany, too bad ... anyone else hear recently?

I never interviewed, and I received my rejection email on April 24th. I just thought that I would share it, as it is a creative way to reject people.

Dear David:

Earlier this season, your application was reviewed by our admissions
committee and placed in the "hold" category. This designation
provides a reserve group of applicants should we find that an
inadequate number of files were initially screened for interview.
Now, as we near the end of the interview season, we know that we have
met our goal. Thus, I am writing to tell you that your status has
been changed to "no interview".

We appreciate the interest that you have expressed in the Albany
Medical College and wish you good luck in your pursuit of a medical
education.

Sincerely,

Joanne Nanos, MS, EdS.
Director of Admissions and Student Records

I feel loved. :laugh:

I never interviewed, and I received my rejection email on April 24th. I just thought that I would share it, as it is a creative way to reject people.

BOOO.. hang in there, i'm also on several waitlists w/ zero acceptances...

one of these schools will pull through...

Also got the "under consideration" email this morning. Thought the interviews went really well. This brings me to a point that has ticked me off throughout this whole process:

What's with the lack of transparency at some schools? I don't understand why Albany doesn't accept any updates. I don't understand why Albany (and most schools for that matter) won't tell you where you sit on the wait list. Why not be clear with how you evaluate applicants if you have a points system?

I agree with the whole lack of transparency issue. I think its a problem with MOST schools.

Albany was the only school I applied to that didn't accept updates but I took a hard copy of what I wanted to send them to my interview and gave it to the admissions office, they accepted it there.

Obviously this doesn't help you since you've already interviewed but i'd call them and say something to the effect of, "I had an update that I wanted to leave with you during my interview but I soon realized after finishing up the day that I left before giving to the office staff. Can i email it to you so that it can be included in my file?" Its worth a shot.

I agree with the whole lack of transparency issue. I think its a problem with MOST schools.

Albany was the only school I applied to that didn't accept updates but I took a hard copy of what I wanted to send them to my interview and gave it to the admissions office, they accepted it there.

Obviously this doesn't help you since you've already interviewed but i'd call them and say something to the effect of, "I had an update that I wanted to leave with you during my interview but I soon realized after finishing up the day that I left before giving to the office staff. Can i email it to you so that it can be included in my file?" Its worth a shot.

It might be worth it to send it, but when I talked to the Admissions Office a few weeks ago, they made it pretty clear that the rankings are set in stone.

I agree that the entire process pretty much sucks. However, given that Albany and other schools receive upwards of 9000 applications to review, I really don't think they have the time to go over updates throughout the application season. I don't really think updates to other schools are all that effective either, your make or break moment comes with the interview. It sucks, but it is a result of the way the system is set up.

Albany was the one school I interviewed at where the actually explained their process. They rank every aspect of your application and the total number is set in stone and confidential. As they interview more people they change the number that corresponds to acceptance, under consideration, and rejection so they end up accepting the right number of students. It sucks and I wish the whole process was better, but at least Albany is attempting to have applicants understand what goes on "behind the scenes". At other schools it seems like much more of a crapshoot.

For those of us on the UC list-

Should we be hearing soon whether we're on the waitlist or, umm, no longer under consideration?

Boo to albany for being so indecisive...

For those of us on the UC list-

Should we be hearing soon whether we're on the waitlist or, umm, no longer under consideration?

I thought everyone who was UC goes to the waitlist... I think everyone from that pool is ranked after may 15.

I thought everyone who was UC goes to the waitlist... I think everyone from that pool is ranked after may 15.

Interesting. I know that they've been pretty tight-lipped about list rankings up until this point, but I wonder if they'll be more willing to tell us where we stand after they've scored everyone who they've interviewed

Interesting. I know that they've been pretty tight-lipped about list rankings up until this point, but I wonder if they'll be more willing to tell us where we stand after they've scored everyone who they've interviewed

This is the last response I got from the office. May 7.

"As of right now there has not been any
recent movement from the UC category. I would suggest if you don't hear
something by the 15th to send an email and inquire about movement then,
as I anticipate we may have a better idea. I hope this is helpful."

This is what I got in April

"As it gets closer to May 15th this Under Consideration
category will begin to move and by the beginning of June you may be
asked to be on the wait list. That is really all I can tell you at this
point."

It sounds like around May 15 they start the list moving and then once june rolls around and they have refilled their class, they ask if people would want to remain on a wait-list.

Hey all,

I withdrew earlier this week, hoping that it would get the waitlist moving sooner! Good luck, i hope someone here gets my spot!

snorezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

its an awful quiet may 15, no?

Hey everyone, I was waitlisted but have withdrawn my application, as I have been accepted to my first choice. So one fewer for you guys to compete with. Best of luck to you all!

Hey everyone, I was waitlisted but have withdrawn my application, as I have been accepted to my first choice. So one fewer for you guys to compete with. Best of luck to you all!

Congrats and thanks. Where u going?

I just called the office and they said they are still working on figuring out how many spots they have. They said that by the end of the week or the beginning of next week they will start contacting people about acceptances, and then at the beginning of June the rest will be invited to go on the waitlist, or rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.