2008-2009 Albany Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true....I thought it would be a reasonable assumption that the distribution should be relatively similar year to year. But then again, who knows how the interview actually went down? We can drop the topic...just keeping myself occupied.

I don't think there's a pre-interview score; I think the score comes from the committee vote, and it's a one-time deal (i.e. updates won't change it.) Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I was told the score cut off tends to start at a certain #, and as the season goes on, it will gradually drop. As of several weeks ago, I was told the score had not dropped yet. I don't know whether this has changed at all.

For some reason, I get the impression that a lot of schools are being extra cautious/selective in offering acceptances due to "unusually large" #s of people accepting those offers, so they are afraid of over-accepting. Otoh, it also sounds like there's definitely some turn over going on, so perhaps we have a chance. Good luck everyone! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Meh... they put me on the under consideration list. Is there a lot of post May 15th movement on this thing?

I hope so. I'm also on the under consideration list. Zamn

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone come off of pre-interview hold, or does that happen later in the season?

Still haven't heard anything back. App compete late October. Am I axed?

Is the hold list a waitlist that opens up in May, or is it a rolling waitlist that accepts applicants throughout the spring?

Has anyone on "pre-interview hold" received an interview invitation?

I was never on pre-interview hold, but I just got an interview invite.

I think I was complete in October.

Was May the earliest date available to interview? I'm just wondering if they have already scheduled them that far out. I'm on pre-interview hold and have been for months. Still keeping my fingers crossed!:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Was May the earliest date available to interview? I'm just wondering if they have already scheduled them that far out. I'm on pre-interview hold and have been for months. Still keeping my fingers crossed!:xf:
I just withdrew my application. The response page displayed a few March and April interview dates, but none in May. I hope you get one of those dates. :luck:

Is anyone 100% positive about going to Albany next year? I've lived in Albany my entire life and love this school.

i was on pre-interview old since November (got an email). However, i checked my status on their website today and its says that "my file is complete and is ready to be reviewed.." anybody else have that? Thank you.

i was on pre-interview old since November (got an email). However, i checked my status on their website today and its says that "my file is complete and is ready to be reviewed.." anybody else have that? Thank you.
Have you scheduled you interview yet? If not, you will see a link that says "Interview Packet and Response Form."

Did your online status ever change after that email? I was placed on pre-interview hold, but the website status never reflected the hold. It retained the "file complete and is ready to be reviewed" throughout the hold.

i don't think website reflects hold, only interview invite

I have a check in time of 8:15 for my interview. For other people with this check in time, how long were you there? I booked my train home at 4:05, thinking I'd be there until about 2:30. (They said 5-6 hours.) I read somewhere that someone was there until 5:30 though! Is that just the later check in time? Now I'm worried I'll miss my train home or have to leave early!!

nah i was there until like 2pm. you should be fine. is your interview in the morning?

got some good news today..... happily canceling my last two interviews and looking forward to albany in the fall.

Anyone who decides to go to Albany please PM me!

Does anyone else think this sentence is really poorly written?:

What are the greatest challenges and rewards that you have or think that you will face at Albany Medical College?

Does anyone else think this sentence is really poorly written?:

What are the greatest challenges and rewards that you have or think that you will face at Albany Medical College?

yeah, that does seem a little awkward. I'm no grammar star by any means, but when I'm trying to figure out if a sentence is correct, I just cut out the 'and' and 'or' clauses and get to the primary sentence. This gives you, What are the greatest challenges and rewards that you have face at AMC?

You need to include the 'faced' since they are different forms of the verb. Also, you don't face a reward.

hi guys, i just got an interview at albany. i am from GA. i have scoured the website and interview invite/response form page and cannot find how out of staters typically travel to albany. is it cheaper to fly into NYC and get transportation to albany, or to fly into albany airport? what is typical? please help...

hi guys, i just got an interview at albany. i am from GA. i have scoured the website and interview invite/response form page and cannot find how out of staters typically travel to albany. is it cheaper to fly into NYC and get transportation to albany, or to fly into albany airport? what is typical? please help...

Don't know if it is cheaper to fly into NYC, but NYC is approx 150 miles from Albany. Look for a flight, probably not cheap.

When did you get this interview? Were you on pre-interview hold?

Nope, definitely fly to albany. Even if it were cheaper to fly to nyc it would cost you another 92 dollars roundtrip from penn station to albany on amtrak.

From there, I guess people have been taking cabs. They run quite expensive from what I hear, though (30-40 bucks).

I'd be more than happy to help out if I can. I live in albany and can give you a ride from the airport to your hotel if you'd like. PM me.

Last edited:
Don't know if it is cheaper to fly into NYC, but NYC is approx 150 miles from Albany. Look for a flight, probably not cheap.

When did you get this interview? Were you on pre-interview hold?

thanks for the response. to be totally honest with you, i have gotten 5 interviews, 2 from GA schools (my state of residence), 1 for the waitlist at MCW which i withdrew from, 1 from NYMC (interviewed on feb 3rd) and 1 from albany. however, after my NYMC interview i was POSITIVE that i was finished receiving invites. i knew that NYMC offered invites late, but wasn't sure about other schools. so i hadn't checked any other status pages for awhile. have no clue if i was on "pre-interview hold" or not. what does that even mean? :)

i took the MCAT aug 5th, was complete at albany in mid or late september.

Nope, definitely fly to albany. Even if it were cheaper to fly to nyc it would cost you another 92 dollars roundtrip from penn station to albany on amtrak.

From there, I guess people have been taking cabs. They run quite expensive from what I hear, though (30-40 bucks).

I'd be more than happy to help out if I can. I live in albany and can give you a ride from the airport to your hotel if you'd like. PM me.

that is super super nice of you! i'm sure i'll be ok with a cab, but thank you so much. i am going to try to stay with a host to cut down on the expenses.

thanks so much for the travel info. i'll book a flight to albany airport.

that is super super nice of you! i'm sure i'll be ok with a cab, but thank you so much. i am going to try to stay with a host to cut down on the expenses.

thanks so much for the travel info. i'll book a flight to albany airport.

For what it's worth, I flew into NYC for 200 bucks roundtrip (virgin airlines) and took the amtrak for 65 bucks roundtrip (they accept AAA discount). I had motivation to go to NYC because I also visited friends, but when I was searching for flights to Albany (from Los Angeles), the flight times were not as flexible and the cheapest flight I could find was almost 300 dollars. It certainly depends on where you are coming from and what travel flexibility you have, but I just wanted to point out that my experience was pretty reasonable as far as cost was concerned. Logistically, it's certainly easier to just fly into Albany than to worry about getting to the train station, the train being late, etc.

How long do you have to wait for a decision after you are complete?

How long do you have to wait for a decision after you are complete?

I was complete 9/27. Interview invite 12/10. If you are on pre interview hold it could take any amount of time up through april or whenever they stop interviewing (I think people are still on hold).

Has anyone gotten an e-mail about financial aid since their interview? I just got an e-mail about filling out their financial aid form and I was given a link to a website. I can't find any forms on there though, and I even tried logging in, which doesn't work either.
Has anyone else tried to do this? I've tried e-mailing the AMC financial aid office, but they didn't help at all. They just told me to fill out the form... even though I told them I can't find the form.

Has anyone gotten an e-mail about financial aid since their interview? I just got an e-mail about filling out their financial aid form and I was given a link to a website. I can't find any forms on there though, and I even tried logging in, which doesn't work either.
Has anyone else tried to do this? I've tried e-mailing the AMC financial aid office, but they didn't help at all. They just told me to fill out the form... even though I told them I can't find the form.

Hey, I had some trouble with the website as well, and when I emailed the Financial Aid office, I didn't get a reply. I called them and they were super helpful, so I would def try that. hope this helps!

For those who have interviewed, how long was it untill you heard back? We were told that they meet on the following tuesday to review your app/interview etc. How long did it take to get any news?

i got my news less than 1 week after. interviewed thursday, got the news wednesday. 6 days

Hey, I had some trouble with the website as well, and when I emailed the Financial Aid office, I didn't get a reply. I called them and they were super helpful, so I would def try that. hope this helps!

Okay, thanks! I'll try that then.

i got my news less than 1 week after. interviewed thursday, got the news wednesday. 6 days

Thanks. I interviewed last Tuesday so I guess I'll be looking out for an email today.

No emails for me, but with my acceptance packet I have a letter that says basically:

1) fill out fafsa

2) complete entrance loan counseling at

https://www.dl.ed.gov/ (the equals sign on my keyboard doesn't work so I can't put in the rest of the address but it should be borrowers and then enter counseling start)

Choose combination direct stafford and Direct PLUS loans counseling.

All students must also complete the 2009-2010 AMC financial aid form at:

http://webadvisor.amc.edu/WALIVE/WALIVE

Click on the "I'm new to webadvisor" link at bottom.

So, there you go for those who don't have the packet yet.

any good news? I'm also waiting to hear back...

I called this morning and they said it took them longer than expected to enter in the votes/scores. Also some were deferred until next week's evaluations. She stated that those that would be receiving emails should have them by this afternoon.

Just got the email...under consideration :lame:

Hey keep your head up. I got that same email from them. Schools like Albany put a majority of their likely admits on the under consideration list because they want to keep their accepted / matriculated ratio as low as possible. They are waiting until May 15 when dozens of students will withdraw from consideration to start giving spots.

I think "under consideration" is a good sign :)

Status
Not open for further replies.