-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 Case Western Secondary Application Thread
Started by aixoise
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
.
Last edited:
M
mmagnett
Am I the only one who thinks its crazy that we need our parents information? I am almost 24, I am not a dependent and I am paying for medical school on my own? I don't understand? At what age are we REAL people..18..21..28?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This week is the LCME site visit, so yeah, it's kind of a big deal right now!Yea, the wait is killing me too. Don't forget that the LCME is coming there in late March (now or in a few days). I interviewed in late February and they spoke briefly about it. So, I am pretty sure that they are making sure everything is in order for when the LCME people visit.
I know, it sucks. There is no age at which Case recognizes you as financially independent. You could be 44, and you'd still have to provide family income info. Of course, the parents of a 44-year-old med student are probably retired, in which case they shouldn't have too much of an expected contribution.Am I the only one who thinks its crazy that we need our parents information? I am almost 24, I am not a dependent and I am paying for medical school on my own? I don't understand? At what age are we REAL people..18..21..28?
M
mmagnett
This week is the LCME site visit, so yeah, it's kind of a big deal right now!
I know, it sucks. There is no age at which Case recognizes you as financially independent. You could be 44, and you'd still have to provide family income info. Of course, the parents of a 44-year-old med student are probably retired, in which case they shouldn't have too much of an expected contribution.![]()
Haha. That makes me feel better!

Am I the only one who thinks its crazy that we need our parents information? I am almost 24, I am not a dependent and I am paying for medical school on my own? I don't understand? At what age are we REAL people..18..21..28?
I agree. However, I was told the reason why they want that information, even if you are an independent, like ourselves, is because of "expected family contribution", a flawed metric if there ever was one. The idea is that your family, even if you are an independent, will provide you with financial support for medical school(even if this is not true like it will be for me). They even ask parental information for applicants that are 30+ years old.
Plus, I think parental information is required by all schools for financial aid.
I agree. However, I was told the reason why they want that information, even if you are an independent, like ourselves, is because of "expected family contribution", a flawed metric if there ever was one. The idea is that your family, even if you are an independent, will provide you with financial support for medical school(even if this is not true like it will be for me). They even ask parental information for applicants that are 30+ years old.
I can vouch for this. I'm a non-trad, and I still needed to submit my parents financial/tax information even though I'm 32.
I can also confirm that 2007 tax information is acceptable if your parents file late. I would call the financial aid department to be sure, but that's what I did.
Just got my alternate list email after being put on hold in October.
Does anyone know how likely is it to get accepted off the waitlist for Case?
The Case Western alternate list thread from 2007 suggests that a huge majority gets alternate listed but only a few get accepted from that pool.
Does anyone know how likely is it to get accepted off the waitlist for Case?
The Case Western alternate list thread from 2007 suggests that a huge majority gets alternate listed but only a few get accepted from that pool.
Alternate list here as well.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, my gf just got put on the alternate list today as well...what's that mean? I read up on some of the older threads at CWRU (from 06 and 07) and it didn't look too promising. Does anyone know legitimately if Case takes anyone off the alternate list?
Thanks,
CT
Thanks,
CT
I'm in!!! I was on hold since last year
is it just me, or does it seem like the adcom gets together on tuesdays and makes announcements and stuff for wednesdays?
The adcom meets on Mondays with announcements usually going out on Tues or Wed. However, waitlist movement can happen anytime during the week as the full adcom won't be making those decisions and has finished meeting for the year.
I'll see YOU guys in Cleveland. 
I'm off! I'll be in town tonight if anyone wants to hang out.
I'm off! I'll be in town tonight if anyone wants to hang out.
I'll see YOU guys in Cleveland.
I'm off! I'll be in town tonight if anyone wants to hang out.
I'll be off myself in a few hours.👍
We need to find all the SDN people somehow...
I'll be off myself in a few hours.👍
We need to find all the SDN people somehow...
Haha. SDN is so like fight club. In each medschool there's always a number of infiltrants.

#1 - The first rule of SDN is, you do not talk about SDN.
#2 - The second rule of SDN is, you DO NOT talk about SDN.
...which makes it really hard to find other SDNers...

What are y'all wearing to all of the gigs? Business casual?
Business casual here, but that's such a vague term...:cry:
You are ugly , but I still want your body.What are y'all wearing to all of the gigs? Business casual?
You are ugly , but I still want your body.
Oh, ok. So, nothing, right???
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
, Cleveland.🙂I'm HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE! 
See, they said "business casual" but I think they mistyped. Business casual usually means a suit and tie, but I definitely did not bring that. Formal means tux. 😛
Anyway, whatevs. I'm sure whatever we wear it'll be no biggie. I'm wearing jeans and a blazer.
What are y'all wearing to all of the gigs? Business casual?
Business casual here, but that's such a vague term...:cry:
See, they said "business casual" but I think they mistyped. Business casual usually means a suit and tie, but I definitely did not bring that. Formal means tux. 😛
Anyway, whatevs. I'm sure whatever we wear it'll be no biggie. I'm wearing jeans and a blazer.
Is it normally this windy?!😱

Is it normally this windy?!😱![]()
Who knows! But it doens't feel any different than Montreal.
(Posted from the Intercontinental. hehehe.)
Is it normally this windy?!😱![]()
No. It's usually sunny and warm.

In all seriousness, it's not normally this windy, but the temps do vary a lot. Keeps you on your toes!
Only on second look weekends. 😉Is it normally this windy?!😱![]()
Had a great time at Second Look. I feel very, very, comfortable about coming to Case. Now the only thing left to do is wait for financial aid packages and see if there are any game-changers. I'm fairly sure I met one or two regular SDN posters but I can't be too sure. You know, Fight Club rules and all.
I think it's fairly obvious who I am, though.
I think it's fairly obvious who I am, though.
Unfortunately, I was unable to attend 2nd look and wanted to know if there was anything important covered that I missed(financial aid info, things to do, housing, etc)?
Had a great time at Second Look. I feel very, very, comfortable about coming to Case. Now the only thing left to do is wait for financial aid packages and see if there are any game-changers. I'm fairly sure I met one or two regular SDN posters but I can't be too sure. You know, Fight Club rules and all.
I think it's fairly obvious who I am, though.
I met at least four who weren't super sneaky about who they were.
You, cheasus, and amph, I did not officially meet in an SDN context, however...
Unfortunately, I was unable to attend 2nd look and wanted to know if there was anything important covered that I missed(financial aid info, things to do, housing, etc)?
You missed four free drink tickets, dinner with alumni, a guided housing/cleveland-in-general bus tour, a condensed IQ session, a Christian Essman drum solo (!!!), a couple parties, a session on healthcare disparities 🙂thumbup🙂, bowling/guitar hero/rockband downtown, and two exceptionally (we're told) sunny days.
The financial aid director was unable to attend, so no finaid session.
They said all handouts/presentations will be made available to you only via iApply later on this week, though, so you're still ok there. Also, the students have put together an annotated google map of the area which we will also be linked to.👍
Hey! It was great to meet a few (or more?) of you. Second look was a blast! And you're all even cooler and more talented in person!! 😀😀
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had a great time at Second Look. I feel very, very, comfortable about coming to Case. Now the only thing left to do is wait for financial aid packages and see if there are any game-changers. I'm fairly sure I met one or two regular SDN posters but I can't be too sure. You know, Fight Club rules and all.
I think it's fairly obvious who I am, though.
Whoa! Totally not obvious. (I'm probably obvious since I'm a freakin' canuck!)
The only people I'm certain that I met were JuliaGuila, Myuu, and sirius(I think?) Who else did I meet (cheasus? amph?)!?
You guys are fun bunch. I had a blast getting to "50".
Let me know where each of you ends up. 🙂No. It's usually sunny and warm.
In all seriousness, it's not normally this windy, but the temps do vary a lot. Keeps you on your toes!
Only on second look weekends. 😉
Turned out to be not as cold as I thought it was after a few more layers of clothing and two days of unseasonably warm weather.👍
yeah right, it's always windy here...I seriously think they should start to use the wind power for electricity here...Anyway, hi to all of you, med students!!!
Hiiiii! It was so nice meeting you!
Yeah, it was great...pretty excited that my future classmates are so cool/interesting.
Highlight had to be Christian playing 2 drum solos.
How awesome was that?!
Hey! It was great to meet a few (or more?) of you. Second look was a blast! And you're all even cooler and more talented in person!!
Whoa! Totally not obvious. (I'm probably obvious since I'm a freakin' canuck!)
The only people I'm certain that I met were JuliaGuila, Myuu, and sirius(I think?) Who else did I meet (cheasus? amph?)!?
You guys are fun bunch. I had a blast getting to "50". Let me know where each of you ends up.
You also met Copacetic! Did you ever find the third canuck? I think he was on my bus tour.
I agree, it was an amazing weekend all around! And it was great to meet some of you - I know that I met Myuu, Julia, Vihsadas, but not sure about anyone else... feel free to identify yourselves! 😀
Nice new kitty avatar! Is this one yours?Anyone who didn't come missed out on a very charming second looker... i would be lying if i said that she doesn't add bonus points to CWRU in my book.
This would be so much easier to confirm/support if I knew who you were.
In summary, the ones of you I know I met are all fantastic people. I can't wait to see you in July!
...I will see you in July... right?!

SUP nice to meet a lot of you I'm hoping this weekend. I only know that I for sure met one person, but I'm sure I talked to probably all of you, as I think I eventually did make it around to you all.
I was one of the few guys dancing at the Velvet Dog Friday night until 2 AM ha, ummmm also was bowling for a lot of Saturday night.
I was one of the few guys dancing at the Velvet Dog Friday night until 2 AM ha, ummmm also was bowling for a lot of Saturday night.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K