2008-2009 Duke Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I have a feeling UCLA, Duke, Stanford and Vandy are all going to come at once. At least with UCLA, we have reason to believe that the prompt is the same as last year. With Duke... I don't know what changes were made, so I'm too scared to continue working on it.

Yeah I am expecting Duke, Stanford and Vandy to come at about the same time. That is if I get a secondary for Vandy...

Members don't see this ad.

Haha I love how this thread is two pages long already and the secondary isn't even out...

Oh the dread of the Duke secondary....

Application's up and they are starting to let people log in. Just got an email, will update with essays later.

5 Essays, no limits...
What is the most significant moral or ethical dilemma that you have faced in your life (excluding academic dishonesty)? Describe how you dealt with and potentially resolved it, including beliefs, resources, individuals, etc. How did this dilemma and its resolution change your life and what, if any, impact will this have on your future as a health care provider?

What do you consider to be professional behavior? Provide an example of the kind of professional behavior you will exhibit as a physician.

How will you add a unique dimension to our medical school community? In answering this question, please also describe your greatest strength? What is your most significant vulnerability? Please understand that the "strength/vulnerability" questions will in fact require two separate responses; they are two different questions. They are both important but not necessarily related.

What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients?

What relationship in your life has best prepared you for a career as a physician?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Beat me to it! And I just got the email one minute ago!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea, I have a feeling UCLA, Duke, Stanford and Vandy are all going to come at once. At least with UCLA, we have reason to believe that the prompt is the same as last year. With Duke... I don't know what changes were made, so I'm too scared to continue working on it.

Oh you're so smart Shemarty, I just got UCLA and apparently Duke is out too... et tu Stanford?

Yay I got it too but man, this one is going to take me awhile....

Sweet, the one I had started drafting is still a prompt this year. "what relationship..."

Yay.

Application's up and they are starting to let people log in. Just got an email, will update with essays later.

5 Essays, no limits...
What is the most significant moral or ethical dilemma that you have faced in your life (excluding academic dishonesty)? Describe how you dealt with and potentially resolved it, including beliefs, resources, individuals, etc. How did this dilemma and its resolution change your life and what, if any, impact will this have on your future as a health care provider?

What do you consider to be professional behavior? Provide an example of the kind of professional behavior you will exhibit as a physician.

How will you add a unique dimension to our medical school community? In answering this question, please also describe your greatest strength? What is your most significant vulnerability? Please understand that the "strength/vulnerability" questions will in fact require two separate responses; they are two different questions. They are both important but not necessarily related.

What has been your most humbling experience and how will that experience affect your interactions with your peers and patients?

What relationship in your life has best prepared you for a career as a physician?

Professional behavior... what the.. that totally came out of left field

thankfully, I've gotten the other essay prompts in some form or the other on other secondaries!

Does Duke screen at all? I didn't think they did, but I haven't gotten the e-mail yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually didn't receive the e-mail either. I guess they're sending it out in waves.

I'm determined to finish the UCLA secondary before I get access to Duke's.

I really don't want to work on three monster secondaries simultaneously. :(

Wow...seeing that list of prompts almost makes me not want to apply anymore. Somehow none of those prompts overlap with my other essays so I gotta write 5 new ones. Are there any other short answer/free response questions aside from these essays?

And I haven't gotten my e-mail yet either but maybe it'll say 'Congratulations, you've been selected to skip our secondary application'...I won't hold my breath for that though.

Wow...seeing that list of prompts almost makes me not want to apply anymore. Somehow none of those prompts overlap with my other essays so I gotta write 5 new ones. Are there any other short answer/free response questions aside from these essays?

And I haven't gotten my e-mail yet either but maybe it'll say 'Congratulations, you've been selected to skip our secondary application'...I won't hold my breath for that though.

They don't screen, so you'll definitely receive an e-mail inviting you to complete their secondary.

Yea, these don't overlap with anything else I've written either. Duke's secondary was like this last year, too. So most of us are more intimidated than surprised.

As intimidating as Duke's secondary is, you all have 4 months to complete it! So don't stress too much about it. Duke really is non-rolling.

Does anyone know if this year's secondary questions are similar or same to the ones given out last year?

Maybe I'll get the same prompts when I apply next year. Wishful thinking...

The prompts from last year are linked from the main index on the secondary application thread.

Funny how UKentucky competes with Duke's secondary.When you say that Duke doesn't screen does that mean that it reads ALL applications, even with lower GPAs? Or does it mean that it just takes your money?I was surprised about the lack of rolling admissions. That means that there are no benefits to applying early, right? Is this information in MSAR?

Funny how UKentucky competes with Duke's secondary.When you say that Duke doesn't screen does that mean that it reads ALL applications, even with lower GPAs? Or does it mean that it just takes your money?I was surprised about the lack of rolling admissions. That means that there are no benefits to applying early, right? Is this information in MSAR?

By non-rolling they just mean that all admission decisions are made at one time, probably in March. It is still to your advantage to apply early, because the earlier you apply the more interview spots that will be available in the future, and therefore the greater chance that you will actually get an interview. But unlike rolling admissions, interviewing earlier won't increase your chances of getting admitted.

Wow.

I always looked at people's mdapps and wondered why anyone would withdraw from Duke just because the secondary was long. After all, it's DUKE.

Now I understand. :eek:

I'm still writing them, though.

Doctorobvious is right re: nonrolling admissions. The interview spots DO run out; we do offer regional interviews, but some people are unhappy that they don't get to visit campus. Also, one advantage to applying early that was not mentioned in other posts: the earlier in the application process that someone reads your essays/looks at your app, the less other stellar apps they have to compare it to. I did hear someone on the admissions commitee say that their standards are much higher by the end of the season just due to the number of apps they are sorting through by then.

How Burnsie got in after submitting her secondary ON the deadline and interviewing in February is beyond me, but my sources say it had to do with offers of $$$.

Anybody get the e-mail after yesterday's initial wave? I'm still waiting....

Sheesh. Dukie, where are you?

Yup, got it this morning at like 5 am my time. Their application service is NICE, too. Really really well-organized and set up.

would you mind posting this year's prompts please?

5 Essays, no limits...

:D Good luck!

Got it! Whew. I've never stressed so much for about an unscreened secondary. Kind of embarrasing.

Still haven't received it here, IS as well. Honestly, I'm kind of thankful as I'm trying to finish up three others before I start the Duke monster.

no duke for me either :(..but essays are all done :)

anyone know what the secondary fee is?

How Burnsie got in after submitting her secondary ON the deadline and interviewing in February is beyond me, but my sources say it had to do with offers of $$$.
ahem, I submitted a full WEEK before the deadline...that's like, crazy early.

Only one changed from the ones I pre-wrote using last year's prompt. The new one I wrote on a 12 hour flight today :eek:...I am sick of writing, but happy to be done. One more secondary to go...
We are almost done with th most tedious part...:)

yeahhhh.....I think I'll save these essays for some day when I'm reallllllllllllly bored. I am beginning to understand the statement on the page they made about how they have a massive amount of people trying to submit the secondary just before the deadline.

How long are your essays guys.. mine are all over the place. I'm really afraid of having 1 little essay since most are long:

2. Ethical dilemma:

2500 chars

2. Professional Behavior:

2100 chars

3. How are you unique:

3500 chars

4. Most humbling experience (probably gonna add to this):

1000 chars :scared:

5. Relationship that most influenced you:

1500 chars

1. Ethical dilemma: 2234

2. Professional Behavior: 1812

3. How are you unique: 2517

4. Most humbling experience: 2153

5. Relationship that most influenced you: 2393

1. Ethical dilemma: 2234

2. Professional Behavior: 1812

3. How are you unique: 2517

4. Most humbling experience: 2153

5. Relationship that most influenced you: 2393

Nice, that's pretty even. My goal is to be submit by 2 am today.

Damn... we're not supposed to send LORs in unless we get an interview. :scared:

Your application is almost ready to move into the screening phase.

clean.png
1. COMPLETE: Submit and lock my application
flag.png
2. INCOMPLETE: Pay my application fee.
The payment gateway will be opening shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please check back to submit your payment and move your application to screening.

No need to rush guys! They are not ready yet.

Your application is almost ready to move into the screening phase.

clean.png
1. COMPLETE: Submit and lock my application
flag.png
2. INCOMPLETE: Pay my application fee.
The payment gateway will be opening shortly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please check back to submit your payment and move your application to screening.

No need to rush guys! They are not ready yet.

Very good to know! Thanks!

On my essays I am keeping the character count down to 1000 or less, because I have heard numerous times that addcomms become bored reading like everyone else, and just wish to have succinct answers to their questions. After all, there is no point in being wordy when someone has to read hundreds of these things.

What do others think about this? Is the consensus for length or short sweet quality that leaves the addcomms wishing to learn more about you?

Status
Not open for further replies.