2008-2009 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by bozz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
unfortunately im oos 🙁

Here was my timeline for OOS, but I think I may have lucked out with the timing of when they were meeting to decide interviews.

I got an e-mail invitation about 5 days after my letters of rec were snail mailed to them (again I think I had fortunate timing). I interviewed at the school about 3 weeks later, but there was an option for 2 weeks later. They said to call them about a decision in 2 weeks after the interview date.

They also said their committee meets the 3rd monday of every month.

Hope that helps and good luck with the process.
 
Here was my timeline for OOS, but I think I may have lucked out with the timing of when they were meeting to decide interviews.

I got an e-mail invitation about 5 days after my letters of rec were snail mailed to them (again I think I had fortunate timing). I interviewed at the school about 3 weeks later, but there was an option for 2 weeks later. They said to call them about a decision in 2 weeks after the interview date.

They also said their committee meets the 3rd monday of every month.

Hope that helps and good luck with the process.

thanks genswim24, congrats for your interview invite. i was wondering though when exactly were you complete? i think since i was complete in august its like when they are really busy
 
on the secondary application, in the table where we have to fill out our prerequisite courses, what do we put under the column Term Completed or Anticipated?? do we use abbreviations like FR S1 for Freshman year Semester 1 ....OR.....

pls help me out, thnx

I believe all I put was something like "fall 2008, spring 2003, etc."

I just received an interview so I doubt it really makes a difference how you put it in. GL.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thanks genswim24, congrats for your interview invite. i was wondering though when exactly were you complete? i think since i was complete in august its like when they are really busy

Thanks, I was complete in mid august. I do have another friend who was complete before me who just got invited for an interview, so don't worry about the timing.

I also received the post card saying I was complete, if you did not get it how did you know that you are complete? did you call?
 
Thanks, I was complete in mid august. I do have another friend who was complete before me who just got invited for an interview, so don't worry about the timing.

I also received the post card saying I was complete, if you did not get it how did you know that you are complete? did you call?

yeah i called them on 8/28 and they said i was complete but i don't know when exactly. i sent my secondary on 8/19 and my LORs were already there by then so after 19 and before 28
 
what does it mean for the committee to meet? Does that mean they make decisions on the interviews between the last meeting and the current one? Has anyone called the admissions office to ask about their post interview status?
 
Interview invite today.
I think I was officially "complete" Aug 28th.
😱 Now officially freaking out!
 
heyy guys! i have a random question about the secondary -- for the essays, are we restricted to the small area they gave us? i didn't realize that adobe limits the space you can type in essays and three of my completed essays are way too long. should i edit them down or can i attach another sheet?
 
what does it mean for the committee to meet? Does that mean they make decisions on the interviews between the last meeting and the current one? Has anyone called the admissions office to ask about their post interview status?

I think the third monday of every month meeting decides the fate of the people post-interview. I am not positive, but that is what I took from it.

I have not called the office yet, but was wondering if anyone has too. I am going to call them next friday
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

About how long after applying to EVMS did you get a secondary app? I submitted my verified primary about 2.5 weeks ago. Still nothing! I called them, and they say it takes a month! A month! Wow they are slow!

Dom
 
Hi guys,

About how long after applying to EVMS did you get a secondary app? I submitted my verified primary about 2.5 weeks ago. Still nothing! I called them, and they say it takes a month! A month! Wow they are slow!

Dom

It seemed like they were quicker earlier in the cycle. That was the case for me and some others at least. I think now they are really swamped and so it is taking most folks longer to get their secondary.
 
are they the first school to tell about acceptances? Your two weeks are coming up!!! Good luck. I bet they waitlist a lot of people just to reevaluate them compared to the rest of the class. If they accept you this early, they really really want you to attend their school. That's what it seems to me, what do you think?
 
Is there some sort of confirmation that they received your secondary? I mailed in my application and the in-state forms last week, but I haven't heard anything from them since then, and I'm starting to worry they never got my stuff.
 
For those of us who interviewed on the 3rd or 5th of Sept. - anyone brave enough to call today? I'm thinking I will, even if it seems like desperate behavior 🙂
 
For those of us who interviewed on the 3rd or 5th of Sept. - anyone brave enough to call today? I'm thinking I will, even if it seems like desperate behavior 🙂

Go for it...just take a shot of whiskey right before to give yourself the strength.
 
Oh man, that is such peer pressure! As my sister says to people who ask if they should do something risky, "DO IT - YOU WON'T!"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm OOS. Had a crappy interviewer. The weekend is blown, mood-wise!

It's still early though, I wouldn't give up hope yet. The admissions lady did say they do look at things like letters of interest so keep that in mind.

I know some people who interviewed with me were complaining about their interviewers as well. It's unfortunate that your interviewer can completely change your chances.

Good luck with the rest of the application process, if you interviewing this early at one school I am sure things will work out for you.
 
jeez anyone else who interviewed earlier this month call? i'm tempted...
 
Yes, I used that number, genswim. I'm living in Boston, too, so if you have bad news too we should go out for some whiskey together ;-)
 
seriously me neither. i might just have to wait until the oct 15th date. :/
 
I just called and it was worth it...ACCEPTANCE 😀

I can't believe I have to sit at my desk for 3 more hours while I wait to celebrate...I am still in absolute shock. I thanked the lady over 100 times I think.

Good luck to everyone else...they always have a lot of waitlist movement
 
I just called and it was worth it...ACCEPTANCE 😀

I can't believe I have to sit at my desk for 3 more hours while I wait to celebrate...I am still in absolute shock. I thanked the lady over 100 times I think.

Good luck to everyone else...they always have a lot of waitlist movement

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :hardy: Is it really time to start an acceptance thread already?
 
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :hardy: Is it really time to start an acceptance thread already?


Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. I can't believe it is this early myself. I was expecting them to tell me to stop bothering them till next week. Hopefully good news will hit others soon so we can do a cross country cheers!
 
Congratulations! Wow, EVMS is quick! How was the interview/school environment? I'm leaving for Virginia in 2 weeks. You should definitely go out and party! HAHA. 👍
 
Congratulations! Wow, EVMS is quick! How was the interview/school environment? I'm leaving for Virginia in 2 weeks. You should definitely go out and party! HAHA. 👍

Thanks 🙂 The administration was really nice. The students were extremely helpful, made the day very relaxing. I enjoyed my time there a lot.

The questions the interviewers ask can be pretty tricky, so make sure you read the interview forum. Some of them are very nice, while others can be a little more aggressive. Mine were really friendly though so it made my time really easy.
 
Does anyone know if they accept off the waitlist before May, or is it all done after May?
 
I got excited at the possibility of a decision from my interview on the 10th, but unfortunately there is none yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
grats on everyone who got in! have a drink for all of us 🙂

oos here. waitlisted 🙁
 
congrats to everyone with an acceptance already, that is amazing!! how long do you have to wait to call after an interview? Also is it just one interview you vs. a panel of people who have read your file? I ask because interview there this week.
 
congrats to everyone with an acceptance already, that is amazing!! how long do you have to wait to call after an interview? Also is it just one interview you vs. a panel of people who have read your file? I ask because interview there this week.


You vs. 2-3 interviewers; 1 adcom, 1 faculty, 1 student (optional)

I interviewed on a Wednesday and found out Friday of the next week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.