2008-2009 Jefferson Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there is any additional information you would like to provide please include it in the box below. (500 char)

Members don't see this ad.

LOR- 1 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics, and 1 humanities.

I posted this question somewhere but no one responded...
Do y'all think it's "ok" to email them and let them know instead of 1 LOR from those listed above, I have 3 bio (2 graduate science/1 undergrad research) and 1 humanities?!?!?
They did say email them if otherwise...but wondering if I'll be standing out in a "bad" way...:confused:
Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Optional 500 characters to tell them something else about yourself...is that a joke? 5 lines worth of text...curious as to what they're looking for there, explanation of a poor grade?, more detail about who you are?, etc etc...

I posted this question somewhere but no one responded...
Do y'all think it's "ok" to email them and let them know instead of 1 LOR from those listed above, I have 3 bio (2 graduate science/1 undergrad research) and 1 humanities?!?!?
They did say email them if otherwise...but wondering if I'll be standing out in a "bad" way...:confused:
Thank you in advance!
Im glad you mentioned that...I just sent them the ones I had
2 bio, 1 chem, 1 shadowing, 2 humanities and 1 PI...I guess I should email them

If you cant get the letters they want then what other option do you have?

Optional 500 characters to tell them something else about yourself...is that a joke? 5 lines worth of text...curious as to what they're looking for there, explanation of a poor grade?, more detail about who you are?, etc etc...

Perhaps.. a beautiful haiku about why you'll be an excellent candidate?:laugh:
I felt the same way about GW 10 line crap.

hahaha, I filled it out....it was kind of hard getting my pt across in 3 sentences though.

Im glad you mentioned that...I just sent them the ones I had
2 bio, 1 chem, 1 shadowing, 2 humanities and 1 PI...I guess I should email them

If you cant get the letters they want then what other option do you have?

You know..
Who da heck have LORs from all the science courses??!!
I mean a GOOD, STRONG LOR!!
I rather have a strong LOR than crappy generic ones.. so..
I guess I'll e-mail them to let them know I stand against them :laugh:

You know..
Who da heck have LORs from all the science courses??!!
I mean a GOOD, STRONG LOR!!
I rather have a strong LOR than crappy generic ones.. so..
I guess I'll e-mail them to let them know I stand against them :laugh:
Its times like these that I wish my UG had a Premed committee

I can't find the "Information for Prospective Students" brochure, which describes academic and technical standards. Does anyone have a link for it?

So what happens if you took physics four years and 350 miles ago?

Time to email admissions~ <3

Edit: NEVERMIND! I've learned to read! The exact text on the website is

Jefferson'sWebsite said:
We prefer to receive a recommendation from a preprofessional committee. If there is no such committee, letters should be provided by individual faculty members (one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Humanities, if possible). Applicants who have been involved in graduate programs are encouraged to provide additional letters from their graduate schools. The deadline for the receipt of letters of recommendation is January 1.

wtf?! is the
only for people who don't have a committee letter?! My committee letter doesn't have a humanities person! This is my first choice school. Am I screwed. Ugh! Please respond if anyone knows. I'm freaking out a little.

Secondly, if I'm not screwed, would it be inappropriate to use the essay prompt to discuss what sets me apart from other candidates, or are they looking for explanations about grade fluctuations? The essay topic seems really open ended.

Members don't see this ad :)
wtf?! is the
only for people who don't have a committee letter?! My committee letter doesn't have a humanities person! This is my first choice school. Am I screwed. Ugh! Please respond if anyone knows. I'm freaking out a little.

Secondly, if I'm not screwed, would it be inappropriate to use the essay prompt to discuss what sets me apart from other candidates, or are they looking for explanations about grade fluctuations? The essay topic seems really open ended.

Key phrase here is "if possible." :):thumbup:

edit: oops... my fault, I didn't see that post with the updated info... whew... excited to work on a secondary I don't have yet! woot! But still, if anyone can answer my second question above about what is appropriate for the prompt, that would be awesome.

wtf?! is the

It says they prefer committee letters, so I don't think you need to worry about it.

The essay is only 500 characters, so I don't really know how much you could really say about what sets you apart in such a small space.
I used it to add an update (started a job since submitting AMCAS).

Hey Guys...I emailed them in regards to LORs...and they said the ones I was sending were fine

2 bio, 1 chem, 1 humanities, and a MD

Hope this helps.

Anyone else apply to Jefferson and verified but did not yet get the secondary?

Because I have not yet gotten it.

When you guys submitted the secondary online, was it immediately updated on the status page? I sent it in yesterday and now it still says Secondary app not received.

I am in the same boat as you. I wouldn't worry about it thought as I have only gotten 5 of about 18 2ndaries so far.

When you guys submitted the secondary online, was it immediately updated on the status page? I sent it in yesterday and now it still says Secondary app not received.
I just submitted and it says the same. I'm not worried though since it clearly showed it was submitted.

You guys know if Jefferson is one of the schools that screens after your AMCAS has been verified? I'm trying to figure out which ones screen and which don't since I've already received 4 secondaries even though I'm not verified yet.

I submitted my app. a few hours after getting it yesterday, and my status page said the same. However I just check it and now it says that it was received. I think that it takes a little while for them to "receive" it and update the status page. Hang in there.

I appreciate all the responses! Whew... lol

I was wondering the same thing. I checked my spam box and it didn't show up there. I'm wondering if they're sending secondary invites out in batches depending on when you submitted your AMCAS.

So far I've received 6 secondaries out of 29 schools that I applied to.

You guys know if Jefferson is one of the schools that screens after your AMCAS has been verified? I'm trying to figure out which ones screen and which don't since I've already received 4 secondaries even though I'm not verified yet.

Anyone, anyone?? You've all been verified if you've received the secondary, right?

Anyone, anyone?? You've all been verified if you've received the secondary, right?

Jefferson sends secondary invites to all AMCAS applicants according to my handbook.

Am I correct in assuming that the "additional information" section provided is meant to be some kind of haiku-length personal statement?

App from Jefferson
Whatever shall I write here
In this little space

If I am using my school's letter service, are they requiring that I have them digitally fax my LORs to them? In other words, they don't want to deal with paper? It's going to cost me an extra 30-45 just for my school to do this option. I think I'm not going to go with this particular school.

II. Letters of Recommmendation are to be transmitted via VirtualEval, InterFolio or FAXED to our digital secured FAX line at (215) 503.8877. If you are unable to supply the requested recommendations please indicate this in the optional text box provided
near the bottom of this form (Additional Information).

Did the application link disappear for anyone else? It doesn't show up on the site anymore.

hey jeff ppl. Jefferson loves volunteer experience so dont forget to talk that up on your app.

anyone submitting without adding a 500-character statement? just curious

I did, but then again I could not figure out what to write with my 500 characters. I figured that anything that I came up with would be forced. I hope that my primary app. sells itself!!!

I did, but then again I could not figure out what to write with my 500 characters. I figured that anything that I came up with would be forced. I hope that my primary app. sells itself!!!

i'm in the same position---sitting here trying to figure out what I want to say and not coming up with anything that sounds genuine

Still have yet to receive this one... my primary has been verified (monday morning).

did anyone send an e-mail to them? I sent one regarding LORs and it says it wasn't able to transmit thru, can someone verify the e-mail address is [email protected]. Thank you!

My AMCAS hasn't been verified yet, but I'm trying to figure out what to put in the short essay. I don't really know what they're asking for. If anybody has any direction at all for either what they put, or what they suggest to put, let me know. Thanks.

My AMCAS hasn't been verified yet, but I'm trying to figure out what to put in the short essay. I don't really know what they're asking for. If anybody has any direction at all for either what they put, or what they suggest to put, let me know. Thanks.

bumpa loompa boopadi ba....

bump.

P.S. - After hours of working with the character constraints, I have come up with the following 439 character masterpiece....

Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice.

Last edited:
Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice. Jefferson is my first choice.

Fix the typo and you've got a winner.

Does anyone's status still say the secondary hasn't been received after having submitted it? I figure I'll give them until tomorrow morning and then I'll call.

Does anyone's status still say the secondary hasn't been received after having submitted it? I figure I'll give them until tomorrow morning and then I'll call.

Mine still does say "not received." I emailed admissions and they said it takes them 24hrs to update the system, although it has been more than 3 days since I submitted and they still haven't updated it.

what if my verbal is significantly below 8 cutoff and i tell amcas to expect an august 18th score later on...will jefferson throw away my app or will they send me a secondary and hold my app until the august scores are in?

Mine still does say "not received." I emailed admissions and they said it takes them 24hrs to update the system, although it has been more than 3 days since I submitted and they still haven't updated it.

Maybe they meant "one business day" when they said "24 hours." Due to the holiday weekend, the admissions staff was probably not updating application statuses everyday. I would wait another couple days and then call or email.

Maybe they meant "one business day" when they said "24 hours." Due to the holiday weekend, the admissions staff was probably not updating application statuses everyday. I would wait another couple days and then call or email.

I submitted on July 1, a Tuesday, so 2 business days passed before July 4, but still nothing. So, I contacted Admissions and re-submitted it. Hopefully, it will show up in the system tomorrow? ::crosses fingers::

EDIT: showed up today, less than 24hrs after submission. As Hiro says in Heroes, "Ya-ta!!!!" ::fixes glasses:: =P

Last edited:
is everyone writing something in the open quick response section?

they give you space for 500 characters? do they want something substantive that shows you researched the school? or would this be overdoing it and they just are giving you room for something that MUST be said? any thoughts... seems to small a space to say anything real.

Does anybody know where to find the address to mail in the LORs? I COULD fax it, but it'd cost 40 dollars from my letter service since it is considered expedited.

Also, did you guys write anything for the 'please provide more information section?' should i write a quick explanation for my poor grades?

I applied to Jefferson last year, and although I did get into a few schools, Jefferson was not one of them. I thought I would offer some advice. I submitted my secondary application in July, and by mid-September, my on-line secondary page still said that my file was incomplete; keep in mind, I had completed my application well-before then. I had to give them a call personally, and soon after I called them, they changed it to complete. I don't know what this means. To be honest, I felt like they just didn't look at my file until I decided to call them up, which I felt was a bit unfair considering I paid that enormous fee. As of one year later, I still have not heard word from them - not even a rejection notice.

This is no way is meant to speak negatively of the school, but I did get a negative impression from the admissions department. My biggest piece of advice is to show a lot of interest in the school; call them up, send them an interest letter, write the "optional" essay, etc. I think that once you show that interest, you are bound to get an interview invite if you meet their average GPA/MCAT average.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.