You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 Stony Brook Secondary Application Thread
Started by genswim24
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Congrats, I: 9/19 called today and still under review LOL.I: 12/1 and got the acceptance letter today! I'm not sure if I'll be going here but it's great to have some options.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats, I: 9/19 called today and still under review LOL.
wow, hang in there redrumi!
2
235009
I: 12/1 and got the acceptance letter today! I'm not sure if I'll be going here but it's great to have some options.
congrats!
aren't you also in at sinai and/or nyu? or am i thinking of someone else?
you realize that SB is half price and you'll save tons on living expenses 😉 ...just wanted to throw that out there 🙂
Thanks 😀 lol I'm in at Cornell. This is very true. I'm holding onto all my options until I get financial aid and all that jazz. I just wasn't crazy about Long Island but other than that I thought SB was great.congrats!
aren't you also in at sinai and/or nyu? or am i thinking of someone else?
you realize that SB is half price and you'll save tons on living expenses 😉 ...just wanted to throw that out there 🙂
Thanks 😀 lol I'm in at Cornell. This is very true. I'm holding onto all my options until I get financial aid and all that jazz. I just wasn't crazy about Long Island but other than that I thought SB was great.
Word lyss i am waiting on the nyc schools but lets just say that Sb is madd cheap and has offered some nice stuff. I am still obsessed with columbia tho
hell yea! The SUNYs definitely give great bang for the buck. SB has a great reputation, great opportunities and an amazing price!Word lyss i am waiting on the nyc schools but lets just say that Sb is madd cheap and has offered some nice stuff. I am still obsessed with columbia tho
2
235009
Word lyss i am waiting on the nyc schools but lets just say that Sb is madd cheap and has offered some nice stuff. I am still obsessed with columbia tho
SB's facilities are nicer than columbia's. and if you think that being in washington heights is the same as being in other parts of NYC (like at cornell or nyu) then you are in for a rude awakening.
good luck 🙂
2
235009
skin md i was born and raised in washington heights.... its home for me and i love it there. i went to school at hunter right next to cornell and lived in the dorms which was a block away for nyu. Im pretty sure i kno lol
oh, my bad 😀
but i still stand by my first sentence 😉
haha 😆skin md i was born and raised in washington heights.... its home for me and i love it there. i went to school at hunter right next to cornell and lived in the dorms which was a block away for nyu. Im pretty sure i kno lol
2
235009
ARe u planning on going to sb over upstate?
yea....though i loved upstate i dont think i can live in upstate NY. i wrote a somewhat exhaustive review of my take on all four SUNYs in the thread i started about choosing between them.
haha 😆
shhh! i know i got owned...no need to rub it in
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey sflo we interviewed at columbia on the same day. not sure i know which one you were though.
but anyway yes sb facilities are nicer than columbia's. i work there now and my lab hasn't been renovated for 30 years.😱
so i'm waiting for columbia decision too. i don't know if it's just me but columbia med students are all so awesome that i felt i won't be awesome enough to fit in.
On a separate note I got a housing selection form from SB today. They look pretty nice but the word is to stay away from on campus housing right?
but anyway yes sb facilities are nicer than columbia's. i work there now and my lab hasn't been renovated for 30 years.😱
so i'm waiting for columbia decision too. i don't know if it's just me but columbia med students are all so awesome that i felt i won't be awesome enough to fit in.
On a separate note I got a housing selection form from SB today. They look pretty nice but the word is to stay away from on campus housing right?
hey sflo we interviewed at columbia on the same day. not sure i know which one you were though.
but anyway yes sb facilities are nicer than columbia's. i work there now and my lab hasn't been renovated for 30 years.😱
so i'm waiting for columbia decision too. i don't know if it's just me but columbia med students are all so awesome that i felt i won't be awesome enough to fit in.
On a separate note I got a housing selection form from SB today. They look pretty nice but the word is to stay away from on campus housing right?
i got that too, and yes the word on the street is that is best to live off campus.
interviewed 1/13 got accepted today!! 1/27
its my first acceptance and i really liked sb. def loved the people, thay all seemed really happy with their choice to go there.
did anyone else here interview on 1/13 with me?
congratulations, visit the official acceptance thread for the class of 2013 and let us know more!
interviewed 1/13 got accepted today!! 1/27
its my first acceptance and i really liked sb. def loved the people, thay all seemed really happy with their choice to go there.
did anyone else here interview on 1/13 with me?
congrats. that is wicked fast. what are your stats, if you don't mind?
i got that too, and yes the word on the street is that is best to live off campus.
i got the selection sheet too, but i dont plan on living on campus. how do we maneuver living off campus? i remember them mentioning it during interviews, but i dont remember details.
hey mcguyver we did??????????? I hear you about columbia. I was blinded by sum students awesomeness, but i loved it and the people. my interviewer was the sweetest woman. I am trying to puta name witha face. My pic is in the premed pic thread if that helps. how about u.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=361316&page=40 here is the thread. maybe that will help u realize who i was that day at our interview.
congrats. that is wicked fast. what are your stats, if you don't mind?
B:10 P:8 V:9 Q
GPA 3.2
BCPM 2.9
not proud of them, i guess sb liked my secondary and interview.
i was told by my advisors i probably wouldnt even get an interview (as bad as it sounds, i'd like to rub it in their faces
)Just got waitlisted via email after calling the office to see if a decision had been made (they told me no over the phone though, weird). Interviewed 12/11. I probably wasn't going to attend over Downstate anyway (didn't like the idea of living in the boonies) but it would have been nice to have an acceptance from them.
i got the selection sheet too, but i dont plan on living on campus. how do we maneuver living off campus? i remember them mentioning it during interviews, but i dont remember details.
look at the acceptance thread for more info. some current students have shared how they managed to get off campus housign before school started
I was put on the wait list today....so frustrating!
Does anyone know the odds of being accepted from the wait list? Is it different if you are a non New York resident?
Thanks and congratulations to everyone who got in!!
Does anyone know the odds of being accepted from the wait list? Is it different if you are a non New York resident?
Thanks and congratulations to everyone who got in!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
B:10 P:8 V:9 Q
GPA 3.2
BCPM 2.9
not proud of them, i guess sb liked my secondary and interview.
i was told by my advisors i probably wouldnt even get an interview (as bad as it sounds, i'd like to rub it in their faces)
Wow, did you rock your interview or something to get an acceptance within two weeks of interview? Well done!
sooooo excited, I came home from a meeting today to find a UPS letter envelope sitting on my stoop. "Noooooo. Nooo way", I thought as took it inside and discovered that I did indeed-somehow-manage to get accepted to Stony Brook!!! I am fairly certain that I will be attending, I was really impressed and really liked this school.
Then I yelled with excitement which made my dog, Lambeau, run away from me and is now shaking sitting on the stairs.
Oh, just for a timeline, I interviewed the first week of January.
Then I yelled with excitement which made my dog, Lambeau, run away from me and is now shaking sitting on the stairs.
Oh, just for a timeline, I interviewed the first week of January.
Wow, did you rock your interview or something to get an acceptance within two weeks of interview? Well done!
I guess they just really liked me and thought i would be a good fit. I would say my interview went really well and i actually had a good time talking to the dean.
Hi, so this is a little crazy but I'm a senior now and am sending in my application this summer for the 2010 class. I will be traveling for the year between graduation and (hopefully) med school enrollment. This means I have to organize my trip with the ability to zip back up to NY for an possible interview. When is the window of time that SB does most of their interviews? What's latest time anyone you guys have had an interview? How flexible are they when choosing a date for your interview?
This is still all up in the air but I'm thinking if for the chunk of time most likely for interviews, I am volunteering at a school in the Bahamas b/c I can count on quick transportation to NY from there. Once interview time is over, I'm going to lose myself to South America, hopefully finding a hospital in the farthest corners of the jungle in which i do some more volunteering.
Is this plan too crazy?? I've pretty much been waiting my whole life for both of these points: med school acceptance and getting lost in the jungle...but it's pretty tricky to make both of them work out.
Lauren
This is still all up in the air but I'm thinking if for the chunk of time most likely for interviews, I am volunteering at a school in the Bahamas b/c I can count on quick transportation to NY from there. Once interview time is over, I'm going to lose myself to South America, hopefully finding a hospital in the farthest corners of the jungle in which i do some more volunteering.
Is this plan too crazy?? I've pretty much been waiting my whole life for both of these points: med school acceptance and getting lost in the jungle...but it's pretty tricky to make both of them work out.
Lauren
Is this plan too crazy?? I've pretty much been waiting my whole life for both of these points: med school acceptance and getting lost in the jungle...but it's pretty tricky to make both of them work out.
Lauren
i think interviews can run as late as april for some schools. so i think your best plan would be to stay in the country (or somewhere you can zip back quickly) from graduation till april 2010 (or whichever date you're accepted from your top choice). then you'll still have several months to get lost in the jungle...
B:10 P:8 V:9 Q
GPA 3.2
BCPM 2.9
not proud of them, i guess sb liked my secondary and interview.
i was told by my advisors i probably wouldnt even get an interview (as bad as
it sounds, i'd like to rub it in their faces)
Wow we have almost identical stats and interviewed around the same time....and both got accepted......life is sweet......congrats!!!! Ur right I think we had killer secondaries and interviews......hope to see you in august
So I'll be in Stony Brook towards the end of February. I'm wondering if the interviews are laid back and if there are any tupe of questions Stony likes to pose.
The interviews were definitely stress-free for me. Both of my interviewers were very conversational. Stay calm when presenting yourself, and you should be fine. The usual questions are "Why medicine?" and "talk about your research" etc but check out the SDN interview feedback for more.
So I'll be in Stony Brook towards the end of February. I'm wondering if the interviews are laid back and if there are any tupe of questions Stony likes to pose.
They were very ethical for me. A lot of questions like: "Would you lie to save a patient's life?" "Why would someone dying refuse an artificial organ?" There were also questions on my application essays. I think I posted some of my interview questions in a mid Nov. post on this site. It probably all depends on your interviewer. Good luck!
just wanted to say congrats to those who just got accepted!! SB is def my first choice for next year! keep us posted on everything!
They were very ethical for me. A lot of questions like: "Would you lie to save a patient's life?" "Why would someone dying refuse an artificial organ?" There were also questions on my application essays. I think I posted some of my interview questions in a mid Nov. post on this site. It probably all depends on your interviewer. Good luck!
Yes, it depends on the interviewer. Luckily, I didn't have any ethics questions to think about.
The interviews weren't bad. Both people I had were very nice and welcoming. Definitely wanted to make sure that you knew what you were getting into and if you had explored other careers (I guess to gauge dedication?). Anyway, it probably is dependent on who you get...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
are they still sending out interview invitations?
got my invite last wednesday
good luck during your interview!
just cuious..did anyone here like shadow a student at SB (or any school) that they loved for a day before your interview? or is the interview the first time you usually see the campus?
just cuious..did anyone here like shadow a student at SB (or any school) that they loved for a day before your interview? or is the interview the first time you usually see the campus?
the interview was th efirst time i saw the campus. Im not sure if there is an option to shadow a student.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K