2008-2009 SUNY Downstate Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also submitted before I received an official secondary invite and according to the invite, it says, and I quote, "If you have not already done so, please submit your secondary." So I doubt that they would "throw it out" or anything. Wait a couple more days and check the status page.

i still have not gotten an official invite so i cannot check the status page since i dont really have the info needed to log in.

Members don't see this ad.

i still have not gotten an official invite so i cannot check the status page since i dont really have the info needed to log in.

Your login ID and password are your AMCAS ID number.

Still waiting on some green checks on the status page. I hate calling these places because most of the time I feel like the people answering the phones absolutely hate me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on some green checks on the status page. I hate calling these places because most of the time I feel like the people answering the phones absolutely hate me.

ditto in terms of waiting for the green light. I don't get how there's an X on the paper AMCAS application, seeing as how 1) it is no longer paper, and 2) they should have received it by now. hmmm....

PS: they do hate you...hahaha

I now have green checks! Although there isn't one next to the AMCAS paper application. I don't feel like calling, so could anybody else that has submitted let me know if you have the same?

I now have green checks! Although there isn't one next to the AMCAS paper application. I don't feel like calling, so could anybody else that has submitted let me know if you have the same?

i have all green except for my LOR :-/
i submitted on the 8th i think

I only have a green check for my MCAT and LORs...Submitted the 9th

I have checks by all of mine except the AMCAS paper app...I wonder why it takes so long for them to receive those?

i heard from U Buffulo that AMCAS only last week started to mail out the paper applications.

I called today and they said it was ok to send more than 3 letters even though it states on the website to not =/...any ideas?

Just curious, did anyone receive a letter in the mail asking for confirmation of your MCAT score? They marked mine received on the site on July 15th, but I got a letter today that was dated the 21st asking for verification of my MCAT (whatever that means).

How should we input the semester and year for coursework? At my school we have Fall and Winter semesters. Is that what I should put?

Members don't see this ad :)
How should we input the semester and year for coursework? At my school we have Fall and Winter semesters. Is that what I should put?
i just did it however my school usually does it, so i did fall 2007 and spring 2008 for example

I got a snail mail letter saying "we got your crap so dont call"

What am I supposed to do if my paper app refuses to get checked off.....
Just give the admissions office a polite call. It's probably just a small mistake on their part.

Argghh. I just called SUNY downstate and they told me to call AMCAS to see why they havent received it. AMCAS says they mail out hard copies once a week and that SUNY Downstate has to call and request that a duplicate be sent out. Is anyone else still not checked off by the paper app or is it only me?

I can't login to that status page, the username and password are both your AMCAS id? when I enter it the page just refreshs and empties the fields =P

I can't login to that status page, the username and password are both your AMCAS id?

Yes, your AMCAS ID goes into both fields. Make sure you choose the right application year. If the problem persists, check back again later. The system could be in the process of an update or a maintenance.

Is the secondary screened or sent to everyone?

Downstate does not screen for secondaries.

Argghh. I just called SUNY downstate and they told me to call AMCAS to see why they havent received it. AMCAS says they mail out hard copies once a week and that SUNY Downstate has to call and request that a duplicate be sent out. Is anyone else still not checked off by the paper app or is it only me?

Hmm, that's weird. They received my paper app just fine last week.

Yes, your AMCAS ID goes into both fields. Make sure you choose the right application year. If the problem persists, check back again later. The system could be in the process of an update or a maintenance.

I still can't login to their checklist, is anyone else having an issue with their site?

I still can't login to their checklist, is anyone else having an issue with their site?
I'm logging in without any problems. Try giving the admissions office a call. Maybe they haven't received notice from AMCAS regarding your application.

How long is it taking for them to update status?

I submitted secondary 7/24 and I still have Xs next to AMCAS, application fee, and secondary...

I just printed out the first page you get once you sign into FAP. thats what i did for Yale as well.

are you at the engineering school? my english classes were a little weird too. one was a normal english one and the other was a "first year seminar" but i did not have enough room on the app to write both the dept and the course #, so i just wrote the course number.. i think the name of the courses will help determine things? if it sounds like an english class, hopefully it will be ok?:confused: my two classes were:
1) studies: language and literature
2) Legacy of the Mediterranean

I'm completing my second english course next year, should I just put the course description in and leave the grade area empty?

couple of questions that haven't been asked before:

1. How did you guys deal with entering your science courses where the lab is a different course than the lecture? By different course I mean, different number, different name, different credit hours, different grade but same semester. Do I just add the credit hours from the lecture and the lab?

2. it says: "If you are enrolled in a graduate program, your faculty advisor/major professor must submit a letter of recommendation. This should be in addition to the letters specified above." What does this mean? I already submitted a letter from my research mentor to the premed committee...is that good enough? I also have another letter being written up for me from a professor of mine and my supervisor during my summer internship. Do either of these count for what they want?

Any responses/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

1. How did you guys deal with entering your science courses where the lab is a different course than the lecture? By different course I mean, different number, different name, different credit hours, different grade but same semester. Do I just add the credit hours from the lecture and the lab?

Treat it as another class. Enter its info the same way.

2. it says: "If you are enrolled in a graduate program, your faculty advisor/major professor must submit a letter of recommendation. This should be in addition to the letters specified above." What does this mean? I already submitted a letter from my research mentor to the premed committee...is that good enough? I also have another letter being written up for me from a professor of mine and my supervisor during my summer internship. Do either of these count for what they want?

Are you in grad school? If you are, someone (your advisor or professor) representing the grad school should submit a letter.

Treat it as another class. Enter its info the same way.

so do i attach another sheet since there aren't spaces for individual labs?

Are you in grad school? If you are, someone (your advisor or professor) representing the grad school should submit a letter.

yes, i'm in grad school. my "adviser" doesn't even know me.. i literally pass her in the halls and she doesn't recognize me. So you're saying as long as the person is a prof at the school its ok right?

Thanks for the help.

If I recall correctly, the form was just a table. I filled in my lab info in the row below the corresponding class info. If you want to make it really obvious, you can add "lab" to the name of the lab, if it doesn't already include it. Don't sweat it too much. They ask for a transcript when you get accepted anyway. This form is hardly official.

yes, i'm in grad school. my "adviser" doesn't even know me.. i literally pass her in the halls and she doesn't recognize me. So you're saying as long as the person is a prof at the school its ok right?

The part you quoted earlier said advisor/professor. So yes, a professor who taught one of your grad classes is fine.

My organic chemistry lab is also a separate class from the lecture. I called them, and they said to just write the labs on an additional sheet of paper since there are only two slots under organic chemistry. Make sure to indicate, "see additional sheet." Hope that helps!

My organic chemistry lab is also a separate class from the lecture. I called them, and they said to just write the labs on an additional sheet of paper since there are only two slots under organic chemistry. Make sure to indicate, "see additional sheet." Hope that helps!

I decided to attach an additional sheet last night since all four of the science requirements have a separate lab. I'll make sure to stick "see attached" somewhere.

Thanks!

Has anybody else gotten a letter (snailmail) that asks for additional info...?

I got one saying to list my activities from 7/2007 to present chronologically because the information was hard to piece together from my AMCAS.... but now I'm trying to figure out how to make it clearer. I was going just to list it in a table with dates and descriptions (that is what they ask for), but should I just copy the descriptions/information from AMCAS?

I just don't see how to make this any clearer than how it was listed on AMCAS :confused: any ideas?

I got one saying to list my activities from 7/2007 to present chronologically because the information was hard to piece together from my AMCAS.... but now I'm trying to figure out how to make it clearer. I was going just to list it in a table with dates and descriptions (that is what they ask for), but should I just copy the descriptions/information from AMCAS?

I just don't see how to make this any clearer than how it was listed on AMCAS :confused: any ideas?
ouch.. how weird. i havent heard a word from them but maybe i will soon

ouch.. how weird. i havent heard a word from them but maybe i will soon

i know. i thought it was weird too. (also weird is how it came to my parents' house but the letter saying i was complete came to my apartment). at least they aren't holding my application from being reviewed until they get this b/c apparently that is the case for some of the additional info requests they make.

I decided to attach an additional sheet last night since all four of the science requirements have a separate lab. I'll make sure to stick "see attached" somewhere.

Thanks!

Hey did you manage to figure out how you will throw in the "See Attached" into the form?

I'm using Adobe Pro so I guess I can add extra text throughout the form. Just wondering where you stuck that line.

I was thinking of adding that text as "*SEE ATTACHED*" RIGHT BELOW where it says "Course Title"

Idid....they asked me for a copy of my upcoming fall grades, which I find weird because my GPA is really high and I cant get them until december anyways.

Idid....they asked me for a copy of my upcoming fall grades, which I find weird because my GPA is really high and I cant get them until december anyways.

same. so what does this mean? are they putting the application on hold or what?

same. so what does this mean? are they putting the application on hold or what?
yeah we are on hold until they get them....My bet is they wanna make sure we are still interested in there school in dec/jan after acceptances are sent out.

atleast you have an excuse to study this semester...I was hoping to take it easy, but not anymore, lol.

you made me laugh, then realize that i can't take it easy either. 5 classes, 13 credits (so worth more than just 13 credits!), plus continuing ec's. yay!

Hey did you manage to figure out how you will throw in the "See Attached" into the form?

I'm using Adobe Pro so I guess I can add extra text throughout the form. Just wondering where you stuck that line.

I was thinking of adding that text as "*SEE ATTACHED*" RIGHT BELOW where it says "Course Title"

I used the typewriter feature (available in newer pro versions) to add a line under the table that says "Continued on additional sheet"

They are weird, they asked me for my mcat results, a month after it was available on the THX site.

Status
Not open for further replies.