2008-2009 SUNY Downstate Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Argghh. I just called SUNY downstate and they told me to call AMCAS to see why they havent received it. AMCAS says they mail out hard copies once a week and that SUNY Downstate has to call and request that a duplicate be sent out. Is anyone else still not checked off by the paper app or is it only me?

yea, everything on my checklist is marked off except the AMCAS paper copy...I'm not sure who to call first or if i should continue to wait. I submitted my stuff in mid july. if anyone has called, do you have their number? I do remember somewhere on their web i read that they didn't want us to call.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone possibly pursuing an MD/MPH? I'm not sure about Downstate's policy for this.. PM me, please! :)

yea, everything on my checklist is marked off except the AMCAS paper copy...I'm not sure who to call first or if i should continue to wait. I submitted my stuff in mid july. if anyone has called, do you have their number? I do remember somewhere on their web i read that they didn't want us to call.

nvm, i found the phone number. for anyone else who needs to call:
amcas number: 2028280600
downstate admissions: 7182702446

Members don't see this ad :)
Bah, damn essays. I hate that 12 and 14 are separate. Otherwise I would probably have written about why I want to go to downstate because it is in NYC.

And whats with this crap of not being able to save typed in information in the pdf?

You can save it if you are using Adobe Professional

Bah, damn essays. I hate that 12 and 14 are separate. Otherwise I would probably have written about why I want to go to downstate because it is in NYC.

And whats with this crap of not being able to save typed in information in the pdf?

You can also check out Fox It Reader, which is a bit quicker than Adobe and also its free. Hope that helps.

JARB

Downstate says they still don't have an ELECTRONIC copy of my AMCAS, I was verified in early July, so I don't understand how this is possible..Anyone else have this problem?

for me it took about a month for them to mark my AMCAS as received... i was verified 7/2 and marked received on 7/28

I was verified 7/18 and it was not until 8/5 that my amcas paper application was received and showed up on their little checklist. Since you were verified early July you could try calling or emailing them about this?

anyone else get a facebook invite for the "SUNY Downstate College of Medicine "2009" Applicants" group?

Any ideas on whether or not I should mention a fiance who will also be studying in the NYC area? I hear some schools look down on this?

The app did say that if you have special reasons, one of which being "a significant other" then you mention it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else receive a letter in the mail this week?

It says I'm placed on hold until I send a photocopy of my fall semester grade report and an update of my medical experiences in December 2008. The grade update seems like a formality (I have a 3.65/3.62). They already know that I'm volunteering again this year at the dialysis center. I guess I'll have a nice update letter to send to them in December. Hopefully I can still get an interview.

i got a letter too!!but it just said thank you for submitted you app, we have received all the necessary materials for initial review, and you will be notified if further action is taken on your app or if adcom needs additional documentation. oh and please do not call us about your status

i got a letter too!!but it just said thank you for submitted you app, we have received all the necessary materials for initial review, and you will be notified if further action is taken on your app or if adcom needs additional documentation. oh and please do not call us about your status

I got that letter as well. It was pretty funny how strongly they stated that we shouldn't call them. I almost felt threatened. I might call just to see if they strike me down or something.

JARB

They send it to everyone. I got it, and then got an interview. I think it's nice that they send SOMETHING.

I have their letterhead in my drawer now. It feels like I'm "on their radar"... ya know?

I got that letter as well. It was pretty funny how strongly they stated that we shouldn't call them. I almost felt threatened. I might call just to see if they strike me down or something.

JARB

at least you heard something, my mail/email box has been very very empty...

yeah it took me 2 weeks to get the letter. well less. its dated aug 14 and i got it yesterday

Have you checked you online status? Your letter might be in the mail.

JARB

well, my online status keeps saying I need my AMCAS application, so that's probably why I'm not hearing from them. But I can't do anything about it really...=[
thanks though for your advice

I still can't even login to the status page, after multiple dealings with them and AMCAS, downstate finally said they would look into why they haven't received even the electronic copy of my AMCAS. I submitted the secondary on 7/13 so this is all very frustrating.

I'm not going to sleep tonight until I finish this secondary. Thats my goal. :thumbup:

So my status is all green. I just want to make sure how they let you know that you are complete. Do they send out a confirmation email or do they just send out a snail mail confirm?

Thanks!

So my status is all green. I just want to make sure how they let you know that you are complete. Do they send out a confirmation email or do they just send out a snail mail confirm?

Thanks!

I dont think they send out either. If you are all green you are complete, end of story.

Thanks!

they send you a letter in the mail---but mine came a good while after i was all green-checkmarked

Wow, it seems like it takes forever for thewm to get the AMCAS/MCAT grades. I submitted it 8/20. I sure hope it does not take much longer.

Hey guys,

They have not received my AMCAS paper copy yet and its been quite a while- a month.

Also, my school sent in the committee letter in mid August (snail mail) and they still have not received them.

What's going on? I see that some people had the problem with the AMCAS copy, was it resolved on its own or did you guys have to call up?

Is there a lag time between when they receive the letters and when the status is updated? I sent my certification page and fee a week later and they have been updated already!

Hey guys,

They have not received my AMCAS paper copy yet and its been quite a while- a month.

Also, my school sent in the committee letter in mid August (snail mail) and they still have not received them.

What's going on? I see that some people had the problem with the AMCAS copy, was it resolved on its own or did you guys have to call up?

Is there a lag time between when they receive the letters and when the status is updated? I sent my certification page and fee a week later and they have been updated already!

um...i had to wait a long time before they received my amcas paper too, around a month, but they just updated it without me calling them. Eventually I got a snail mail from them saying I was complete and under review (a week after they said I was complete online). I used VirtualEval so I don't know about the letters. It probably takes longer for them to go through snail mail stuff than anything online but a month is a long time. I guess it doesn't hurt to call.

you should definitely call. My LOR was received and sent by Interfolio for awhile. However it wasn't until I called when they decided to download it

Do they send snail mail confirm to everyone? Been two weeks since I was all green and still no complete mail

For those whose LOR have been received, does Downstate indicate under the "comments" column who the LOR is from? I sent in a committee letter and most schools usually list it as "committee" or give the name of the school its from..

Just wanted to check.

Thanks

Do they have an online status check site? I never saw any mention of one in their secondary email.

I don't think this school emails you when you're complete because I just called now wondering if they had received any of my app. The person just asked for my first and last name and then said I was complete. I have no idea how long ago I actually was complete, though...

I've been complete (all green checkmarks) since mid August, but when I went back to check the status this morning, there was a new box with a red X next to it that says:

'Additional Information Received' (under requirement) and 'fall 08 sem grade report' (under comment). Does this mean I've been put on hold? It sure seems like it...

For those whose LOR have been received, does Downstate indicate under the "comments" column who the LOR is from? I sent in a committee letter and most schools usually list it as "committee" or give the name of the school its from..

Just wanted to check.

Thanks

No there are no comments written for LOR, but I had a committee letter so it could be different for individual letters

I've been complete (all green checkmarks) since mid August, but when I went back to check the status this morning, there was a new box with a red X next to it that says:

'Additional Information Received' (under requirement) and 'fall 08 sem grade report' (under comment). Does this mean I've been put on hold? It sure seems like it...

yeah i think someone else was put on hold for fall grades by downstate, but i would just call to ask them anyways. just wondering when were you complete?

yeah i think someone else was put on hold for fall grades by downstate, but i would just call to ask them anyways. just wondering when were you complete?

I was complete on 8/21.

do they automatically put you on hold for your fall grades or just if they cant make a decision?

do they automatically put you on hold for your fall grades or just if they cant make a decision?
probably if they can't make a decision. Under the interview invite thread, there are people who have gotten an invite

i got an interview invite on 9/6 via email for 9/16 interview date. sent in my info 8/4, received 8/8, amcas "paper" application received 8/19, completed 8/20. wish me luck for the interview!

The impression I got from the interview hosts today was that they are generally very loyal to New York residents, BUT they take pride in being a refuge for the many California applicants who are casualties of the insurmountable challenge of getting into the incredibly competitive schools there.

Hope that helps.

Is SUNY OOS friendly?

Got a confirmation letter about my app being complete today.

How did it take for you guys to hear back from them after receiving that letter? I almost had a heart attack seeing that letter..

Got a confirmation letter about my app being complete today.

How did it take for you guys to hear back from them after receiving that letter? I almost had a heart attack seeing that letter..

LOL I have the same question and feeling.:laugh:

hey guys i need help, i recevd a letter asking for transcript when available and Details of activities AFTER graduation. Now All these info are already on my AMCAS app, so i was frustrated as to what i should write about since i cant make up new stories I had to rewrite everything somewhat modified as the AMCAS, its as if they completly ignored the dates
and information on the AMCAS
I dont get it, anyhow i submitted it already but any comments would help. ANother long stupid wait:confused: I couldnt sign up to chk status r u sure about placing id twice?

thanks guys

Does downstate look at your app if you dont have all prereqs completed yet?

Could it be because the activities you listed on their secondary was underwhelming? I'm guessing you are a recent grad? What did you list?

Status
Not open for further replies.