2008-2009 University of Pittsburgh Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so I am now 100% i'll be going to Pitt! :D
buying my ticket for the premat program now! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am an entering M1 (class of 2013) at UPitt and I was hoping to find out both the experiences of previous students as well as whether people in the same class as me are going to participate in this program. I am going to medical school directly after undergrad and hope to get an academic edge through this program. I wouldn't really be in it for the whole diversity/settling-in/house-hunting/exploring-the-city aspect of the program. Does anyone have any advice they could share or personal experiences with the program?

Thank you.

I don't know of anyone from Pitt on this website who did the program.

I didn't--I just started med school in august--and did fine in my classes. To be completely honest, the program isn't going to give you THAT much of an "academic edge." There's only so much they can teach you in a few weeks and once real classes start, you'll be on the same level as everyone else very quickly.

If you're just in it for the academics, you might be disappointed, in my opinion.

That being said, some people seem to have liked the program.

ishr, I don't think anyone is going to help you when you talk like a gunner, especially when you mention that you aren't really into meeting anybody or anything like that. you really think I'm going to say "hey ishr, here's what you should do if you want to beat everyone". those strategies are secret my friend, so you're gonna have to get advice about getting an "edge" elsewhere if you wanna beat me and everyone else.

the difference between me and you is that i admit what my goals are and what my attitude is. you, on the other hand, are just trying to keep up this false image when underneath you're just another "gunner". i don't see how you can fault me for wanting to explore a program that pitt has created for admitted students. this "edge" is as available to anyone else as it is available to me, and it seems as if the whole point of your post is to say something to the tune of "please be more covert about your desire to succeed in medical school, otherwise you might blow my cover since i'm trying to do it secretly". i've cruised a lot of forums and as a consequence have come across all sorts of people. most of the time, i pass off immature acts such as these as the result of internet's relatively accessible nature which invites the curious pre-pubescent web surfer to flame others indiscriminately. however, this is SDN and i expected more of a future doctor of america. you have no excuse to hide behind, and your attacks bear neither substance nor class. if your goal is to discourage others who seek a technical mastery of medicine in order to better serve the patient, then i suggest you consider a career in litigation.

Members don't see this ad :)
the difference between me and you is that i admit what my goals are and what my attitude is. you, on the other hand, are just trying to keep up this false image when underneath you're just another "gunner". i don't see how you can fault me for wanting to explore a program that pitt has created for admitted students. this "edge" is as available to anyone else as it is available to me, and it seems as if the whole point of your post is to say something to the tune of "please be more covert about your desire to succeed in medical school, otherwise you might blow my cover since i'm trying to do it secretly". i've cruised a lot of forums and as a consequence have come across all sorts of people. most of the time, i pass off immature acts such as these as the result of internet's relatively accessible nature which invites the curious pre-pubescent web surfer to flame others indiscriminately. however, this is SDN and i expected more of a future doctor of america. you have no excuse to hide behind, and your attacks bear neither substance nor class. if your goal is to discourage others who seek a technical mastery of medicine in order to better serve the patient, then i suggest you consider a career in litigation.

Didn't you notice that that no incoming students really responded to your post? Nobody is going to help you beat them, so I don't see why you even asked... probably because you have fewer than 30 posts on here. After a while you'll learn the difference between a good post and a bad one. I'm no gunner, and most people on SDN are pretty chill as well; however, don't think that we're going to give away all our strategies and reveal our Achilles heels just so you can get all honors and go into derm.

Hi,

I am an entering M1 (class of 2013) at UPitt and I was hoping to find out both the experiences of previous students as well as whether people in the same class as me are going to participate in this program. I am going to medical school directly after undergrad and hope to get an academic edge through this program. I wouldn't really be in it for the whole diversity/settling-in/house-hunting/exploring-the-city aspect of the program. Does anyone have any advice they could share or personal experiences with the program?

Thank you.

I think instead of bumping so many of the threads, you can email some of the students who current attend Pitt through the Ask a Student thing they sent us or msg people on facebook cause no one has replied to your posts. In addition, I say half a dozen current Pitt Med students are on here (Erina, Smallville, Shanster, etc - sorry if I spelled anything wrong) and it doesn't seem like they have done it or they are too busy with exams at the current moment.

I think your using of the words 'academic edge' and 'wouldn't be in it for the whole...' caused ONOY to make his comment. Especially since I believe that the program is to get students acquainted with Pitt Med or for those who haven't been in school to ease in. Most likely some of it's objectives is meeting other students, learning about Pittsburgh, etc.

Just point out what may have caused ONOY to comment on your post.

Stop being a neurotic pre-med and take it easy. At least you're in buddy- go enjoy life

hahahaha this post made me :)

nice series of posts people! dowe haha

I'm doing the program for the meeting-other-students/settling-in/exploring-the-city (I love zoos) aspect of it, so can't help you there :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I'm just so excited about the pre-mat program and I can't wait to meet Slade and the other people who are going to be there!
Good luck to you guys still on the wait list, hopefully we will see you there soon too! :luck:

agreed- I'm so excited that it's finally may that I can't even concentrate on finals right now. It'll be strange to put faces on you guys if I do get in. I half expect slade to actually be a mouse

agreed- I'm so excited that it's finally may that I can't even concentrate on finals right now. It'll be strange to put faces on you guys if I do get in. I half expect slade to actually be a mouse

we here at pitt are really into diversity in our classes.

Anyone received their financial aid package yet? Only school I'm waiting for is Pitt and we're running out of time...

Anyone received their financial aid package yet? Only school I'm waiting for is Pitt and we're running out of time...

2 weeks ago they said last week, last week they said this week... 2 days down already though... :shrug:

:wtf: my smilies are synchronized! they weren't when I pasted them... :lame:

Didn't you notice that that no incoming students really responded to your post? Nobody is going to help you beat them, so I don't see why you even asked... probably because you have fewer than 30 posts on here. After a while you'll learn the difference between a good post and a bad one. I'm no gunner, and most people on SDN are pretty chill as well; however, don't think that we're going to give away all our strategies and reveal our Achilles heels just so you can get all honors and go into derm.

Thank you for your advice. I'll try to make more posts before I ask questions next time.

Thank you for your advice. I'll try to make more posts before I ask questions next time.

He meant that he assumes that you are a new member because of the fact that your count is so low. He's implying that an experienced SDNer would know that.

try post padding for a couple thousand posts in the Class of 2013 thread then come back if you want to be taken seriously.

and-- even if you're lying, it wouldn't hurt to act interested in your future classmates when you post here; people will be much nicer to you. you can still be a gunner and wear an e-ghillie suit for SDN...

try post padding for a couple thousand posts in the Class of 2013 thread then come back if you want to be taken seriously.

and-- even if you're lying, it wouldn't hurt to act interested in your future classmates when you post here; people will be much nicer to you. you can still be a gunner and wear an e-ghillie suit for SDN...

i don't know what i've done wrong or how i've offended you... i just posted a question about a program. i already said thanks for the advice. please just leave me alone...

First, I would like to say Hi everyone!!!!...Ok...to anyone that is considering doing the pre-matric program, do you know if they will provide food and assistance around campus (like a bus pass) if we attend?

Thanks guys :)

First, I would like to say Hi everyone!!!!...Ok...to anyone that is considering doing the pre-matric program, do you know if they will provide food and assistance around campus (like a bus pass) if we attend?

Thanks guys :)

you can ride any bus for free with your pitt id card

Does that mean we will get a pitt id if we attend the pre-matric program?

In response to those asking about the academic side of the prematriculation program: The program is really aimed towards acquainting students with Pittsburgh and making sure students who have been out of academics for awhile are a bit more up to date. It doesn't give one much of an academic edge because the material taught won't differ much from that taught during the year, and there will be little content compared to the huge amount you will be expected to know. That said, it would be a good chance to practice study skills and find your weaknesses so you can work on them before the school year starts (especially if you didn't focus much on the sciences in preclinical work). I think that if you looked at our class grades, the prematriculation program had little to no bearing on anyone's performance; hard work, previous coursework, and intrinsic abilities made the most difference.

any news on the financial aid front?

another of those Pittsburgh is great e-mails....
but no financial aid e-mail...

Just withdrew, good luck to those on the WL!

I didn't get one either Chuck.. on the WL here too, guess it might be just for accepted folk!

Last edited:
I just got my aid letter via email. I got a little bit of need based aid but I got zero merit money. I'd have to take out loans for ~$49k, so Stafford won't cover it all...

I have my :xf: for WashU now, lol.

did they estimate your family contribution really high?!? That sucks, sorry ONOY!

did they estimate your family contribution really high?!? That sucks, sorry ONOY!

well I mean, now that I look at it, they gave me $10k<X<$15k in "need-based scholarship" money for next year, which I'm not complaining about. I don't have a clue what my parents' EFC is, but it has to be low.

is it 13k? ;) (62-49)
Well WashU I heard gives great need-based aid, and since you said your family is having financial difficulty, if you get in, you'll be set financially I expect! :luck:

is it 13k? ;) (62-49)
Well WashU I heard gives great need-based aid, and since you said your family is having financial difficulty, if you get in, you'll be set financially I expect! :luck:

yeah I really am not counting on getting into WashU because the odds of getting off the WL are probably ~1/14 (maybe 50/700 people)...

It would be really cheap though. Probably less than $30k/yr with their FinAid policies... that would be nice, but Pitt is manageable and I've become mentally prepared to go there.

Does anyone know when the financial aid packages are sent out? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.