2008-2009 University of Pittsburgh Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know when the financial aid packages are sent out? Thanks!

They started sending them out last week and are continuing to do so in order of completion of your fin aid file. I think a bunch just went out today, but more are coming tomorrow and into next week!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I know the financial aid packages can sometimes be really disappointing. But if you really love Pitt, don't let money stop you. I know it's scary to think of all the debt, but you need to go to a school that will make you happy.

I got maybe $8600 in need based aid and no merit money for my first year, but I managed. You'll find out about plenty of scholarships when you're here (we get emails all the time). I promise, there are ways to make it work :)

does anyone know if the Darragh apartments have carpet or another type of flooring? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other waitlisters get a heart attack again this morning? I guess it'll open starting Monday...

why, did you get one of those Pittsburgh e-mails?

You are receiving this because you are currently on our waitlist. While AMCAS rules indicate that an applicant can hold a seat at only one medical school after May 15th, you can hold any number of waitlist spots up until the day of matriculation. Next week we will begin accepting applicants from our waitlist. We hope your continued presence on our wait list indicates continued interest in Pitt Med.

Best regards,

Beth Piraino, MD

Professor of Medicine

Associate Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine

Any other waitlisters get a heart attack again this morning? I guess it'll open starting Monday...
Yep. The next email I get from Pitt better be an acceptance after all the heart attacks they have given me. :)

I love the new yorker! It's so pretentious yet so satisfying to read. I've been submitting cartoon captions for that contest for months with little luck... I guess I have virtually no career options in stand up..

Did anyone else on the WL get another email this morning asking how interested you are? I'm not sure how elaborate of a reply I need to send cuz I previously submitted a LOInterest.

Members don't see this ad :)
You got another email from Dr. Piraino!? I did not.

Yes I got another email from Dr.Piraino this morning.

This is what it says:

Dear MedYEP:
Next week we plan on moving to our wait list, and we feel you are an excellent potential fit for Pitt Med. We are writing to inquire about your level of interest in attending school here. Please let us know so that next week we can factor this into our decision.
With regards,
Beth Piraino, MD
Professor of Medicine

What do you guys think it means that the email didn't go out to everyone?

This is what it says:

Dear MedYEP:
Next week we plan on moving to our wait list, and we feel you are an excellent potential fit for Pitt Med. We are writing to inquire about your level of interest in attending school here. Please let us know so that next week we can factor this into our decision.
With regards,
Beth Piraino, MD
Professor of Medicine

What do you guys think it means that the email didn't go out to everyone?

I think it is pretty obvious what it means! They want to make sure you at least say you are going to attend before they send you their official acceptance offer.

Congrats

I am assuming you are in their first round of post May 15th acceptance offers

I think it is pretty obvious what it means! They want to make sure you at least say you are going to attend before they send you their official acceptance offer.

Congrats
I hope you are right! I really don't want to get my hopes up and then not be accepted! I have major butterflies already. :scared: :xf:

I feel really good for you MedYEP... For them not to admit you at this point would seem so grotesque I can't imagine that be reality.

Anyone have a sense of the size of the waitlist... number already admitted? I guess after May 15th they'll know how many spots are open...

I called in today and was told Darragh St apartments are completely full for next year... any other ideas of where I can live within walking distance of campus? I'm not too high and Squirrel Hill/Shadyside, but at the same time don't want to deal with freshmen yelling outside at 3 am the night before a test. Seems like an intractable situation for me.

I feel really good for you MedYEP... For them not to admit you at this point would seem so grotesque I can't imagine that be reality.

Anyone have a sense of the size of the waitlist... number already admitted? I guess after May 15th they'll know how many spots are open...

well they interview a relatively large # of applicants and I do not know how many the reject post-interview....soooooooo who knows

does anyone know when waitlist movement starts for Pitt and how they notify you (via email, phone, snailmail)?

I called in today and was told Darragh St apartments are completely full for next year... any other ideas of where I can live within walking distance of campus? I'm not too high and Squirrel Hill/Shadyside, but at the same time don't want to deal with freshmen yelling outside at 3 am the night before a test. Seems like an intractable situation for me.

Look at north oakland, near craig street (just north/north-west of carnegie mellon. very popular. Though, Squirrel Hill's fantastic-- and the bus is free, 6 or 7 pass through forbes/murray intersection, and only takes 10-15 minutes, plus you get more for your money.... like a grocery store!

Thanks! Good luck to everyone on the WL!:luck:

Is there a "survival guide" or anything like that for Pitt where I can find out about housing and other school information?

Also, I have a doctor's appointment on Tue and was wondering if there is a health/immunization information form for Pitt that my doctor needs to fill out?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

hmm, wondering about that too (the doc thing)

also, add yourself to the waitlist thread! :)

Congrats!!! I knew you'd get the good news after that email. Are you headed for pitt? How did they notify your acceptance. Congrats again!!!

Congrats!!! I knew you'd get the good news after that email. Are you headed for pitt? How did they notify your acceptance. Congrats again!!!

Thanks. :) I got an email and my status page changed. Pitt is my first choice so I'm pretty sure I will be going there - but I would really like to see my fin aid package before I commit 100%.

Thanks! Good luck to everyone on the WL!:luck:

Is there a "survival guide" or anything like that for Pitt where I can find out about housing and other school information?

Also, I have a doctor's appointment on Tue and was wondering if there is a health/immunization information form for Pitt that my doctor needs to fill out?

Thanks to anyone that can help!

There is a form but you can't access it online that I know of. They'll send it to you. When you go to the doctor, it'd be good to get a print out of all of your immunizations and dates so you'll have that ready for the form.

Congrats!

Look at north oakland, near craig street (just north/north-west of carnegie mellon. very popular. Though, Squirrel Hill's fantastic-- and the bus is free, 6 or 7 pass through forbes/murray intersection, and only takes 10-15 minutes, plus you get more for your money.... like a grocery store!

Speaking of which, I'm moving into a two-bedroom, two-bathroom condo in North Oakland, off Fifth and Craig (10 min walk, 5 min free bus ride to Scaife), and I'm looking for a roommate! It's huge- by far bigger than Darragh- and is off all major bus routes in Pittsburgh (airport 40 min, grocery store 10 min, downtown Shadyside 10 min, shopping 15-30 min), and up the street from restaurants, shops, and the Carnegie museums. It's available beginning of June, and comes furnished, so will be especially convenient for you pre-mats and summer researchers. PM me for more info!

Accepted today from WL! Check those status pages! Good luck everyone!

congrats jack!! Are you going to attend?

Nothing here yet. Interestingly, I'm torn.... I love Miami. Loved Pitt @ Interview. It's bittersweet not having a choice.... :p Congrats guys!

I am definitely going to attend Pitt, it's my top choice!

Also, I wanted to mention that I did get the e-mail last week asking me about my level of interest in Pitt since someone sent me a PM asking me about that.

guys, don't forget to send in the 100$ deposit!! it's due by the 24th

guys, don't forget to send in the 100$ deposit!! it's due by the 24th
Since I was accepted off the WL Friday, they told me they want my decision by June 1st, so does that mean that my deposit is due June 1st? I haven't received my official acceptance packet in the mail so I'm not sure if there are directions there.

Since I was accepted off the WL Friday, they told me they want my decision by June 1st, so does that mean that my deposit is due June 1st? I haven't received my official acceptance packet in the mail so I'm not sure if there are directions there.

I got the instructions in my mail packet. Just call them tomorrow to make sure, but I'm pretty sure you're safe till you get your packet. The 24th deadline is intended for those accepted before the 15th I think. :)

Withdrew my acceptance today, good luck to those on the WL :)

hey ONOY, congrats! did you get your finaid from WashU? Did you try to bargain with Pitt?

Thanks! :) I just ended up saying f*** it, so I didn't try to bargain. I got my WashU aid letter online b/c I called them so they gave me a link. WashU was about $15k/year cheaper for me because of great need-based aid.

Got a $20k/year merit scholarship from Pitt!! :D I'm so happy already and I don't even know what need based aid I'm getting. :love:

any news from anyone this past week?

I would also recommend looking at apartments in Bloomfield - it's way cheaper than Sq Hill / Shadyside and a great family neighborhood. I would usually walk to class but you can also take the 54C bus or bike - all three take less than half an hour from where I lived.

I could talk about Pittsburgh forever but if you have any questions about neighborhoods etc feel free to PM me - I've lived here my whole life and went to Pitt for undergrad so I know the area pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.