2008-2009 University of Washington Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an email from UW:

I got in! :eek:

Just to give you all some data:
I got my interview invite 2 weeks ago.
Went on my interview 6 days ago.
Got put under consideration 3 days ago.
Got accepted 5 minutes ago.

There is a lot of waiting. But when it happens, it happens fast.

Good luck everyone!

Wow congratulations!!! I thought that we would only hear updates right after the adcoms meetings...I guess not.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone interviewing on the 17th?

Im excited, but kind of wish I had more time for what Im sure will be a brutal interview. Also looks like I'll end up using all my vacation days so I can stay through christmas :scared:

That was the most intense interview... ever. At least I can handle anything now.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone sent a letter of interest to UW? i've been complete 2+ months and i'm getting antsy.... :D

I sent a letter of intent, but got rejected at this last exec committee meeting. oh well, i guess i didnt feel like crap about my interview for nothing..

Just as a note of encouragement: I was complete back in late September and just now am hearing from the UW as far as interviews, a good eleven weeks later.

Good God!!! I sent my check on the 12th of Sept and was complete in early October and they just cashed my check!!!!!!!!!!! I'm scared that I didn't get an interview invite yet...maybe they cashed it and i have a rejection letter coming:scared::(

...they just cashed my check!...

Me too, finally. They have got to be doing their reviews of secondaries in waves (or at least cashing the checks in waves) because I sent my stuff almost a month after you (Nov. 3rd) and received the complete email on the 17th. Here's to hoping for the best for all of us still waiting.

Last edited:
cashed my check too... its nice to know something is happening!

By the way, I have confirmation that UW reads SDN lol, hello UW.

Many schools read the boards. It makes sense to do so. Although it's anonymous, people post things like their interview date and questions, so their identity can be ascertained.

That's why it's so important to type with an appreciative tone and be polite to everyone here.

Uhh Nina, hello, you will be getting an acceptance e-mail, not a stupid little envelope.

You just never know how they will interpret and/or misinterpret things you write without knowing your personality.

:soexcited:I just called UW to ask when Alaska applicants will be receiving interview invites or rejection letters, as the first interviews in Anchorage are three weeks away, and not only did they say that invites should be going out soon but I HAVE AN INTERVIEW!!!!!

This is exactly what I needed. The economy sucks, I took a demotion to get a job, and I have spent $3k on apps with no luck anywhere else... it was looking pretty bleak.

But now I have a strange urge to play Huey Lewis and the News.

For those still waiting to hear, try giving UW a call. They were very, very nice.

It feels so good to move a tiny step along this journey. Good luck to everyone else! :luck:

:soexcited:I just called UW to ask when Alaska applicants will be receiving interview invites or rejection letters, as the first interviews in Anchorage are three weeks away, and not only did they say that invites should be going out soon but I HAVE AN INTERVIEW!!!!!

This is exactly what I needed. The economy sucks, I took a demotion to get a job, and I have spent $3k on apps with no luck anywhere else... it was looking pretty bleak.

For those still waiting to hear, try giving UW a call. They were very, very nice.

It feels so good to move a tiny step along this journey. Good luck to everyone else! :luck:

Good job! That is so exciting, good luck with your interview!

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations!!! I am guessing you're still riding the high. :)

Congrats to you too mtnman.

As for me I'm still trying to hold off on calling - at this point I figure the decision will come when it comes, and I don't want them to hate me for calling every two weeks. :p At least they cashed my check last week, I'll take it as a sign of progress. :)

Freaking awesome! You are going, right? Or are you holding out for other offers?

Yep. I just accepted the offer a few days ago.

I'm still a little shocked.

Good luck to everyone still out there!

Last edited:
I officially give up...they say another 4-6weeks of screening. WTF????? I've gone from 4-6wks to 2-3wks and now back to 4-6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so annoyed right now. Just reject me or offer an interview, how the F can it take this long???????????????????????????????????????????????:mad::thumbdown:(

Yay, UW came through after all with an interview for me!! :rolleyes::love::love: This after approximately 11 weeks of waiting. Complete on 10/1, check cashed on 12/10, and FWIW I called on 12/17 (three days ago) to check on my status and they told me that they were waiting on one last reviewer on my app. Now I have exactly 10 days to prepare. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yay, UW came through after all with an interview for me!! :rolleyes::love::love: This after approximately 11 weeks of waiting. Complete on 10/1, check cashed on 12/10, and FWIW I called on 12/17 (three days ago) to check on my status and they told me that they were waiting on one last reviewer on my app. Now I have exactly 10 days to prepare. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Congratulations!!! :highfive: That gives me hope since I was complete a week after you were, and my check was cashed recently too.

did they email or did you call?

Congratulations!!! :highfive: That gives me hope since I was complete a week after you were, and my check was cashed recently too.

Thanks breeak! I'm sure you will hear soon.

Ami, they emailed me (at 7pm, no less), but my online status check hasn't been updated to reflect the invite. Not sure if it is ever updated or not after being marked complete. Good luck!!

Hi Y'all,
I was here last year and didn't make it, but I am trying again . Congrats to all who have received an acceptance so far or an invitation to interview. I am still waiting for an interview, but I hope to get an invitation soon. Good luck to all - especially those Alaskans who are out there!

Anyone have the instate # interviewed vs. # accepted stats?

Any news lately guys? Is the ExCom meeting on Jan 7 only for Alaska??

Maybe right after Jan 16 (possibly the next WA/OOS ExCom meeting?) people will be hearing good news again!

Frannie how did it go?

anyone know where/what method to send and LOI?

Are you pre or post interview? I think that if you're pre-interview they might not care about updates ect because they gave everyone an open ended response on the secondary...I don't really know though. I know for post-interview they said you should send in new grades and "significant" updates. I just emailed an update to the main admissions address. I might f/u later with a call to see if they added it

Are you pre or post interview? I think that if you're pre-interview they might not care about updates ect because they gave everyone an open ended response on the secondary...I don't really know though. I know for post-interview they said you should send in new grades and "significant" updates. I just emailed an update to the main admissions address. I might f/u later with a call to see if they added it
pre-interview. i :love::love::love: UWSOM and I haven't heard a peep in almost 3 months :(

anyone know where/what method to send and LOI?

Stella told me that one update pre interview is fine. I can't remember what method she recommended because I have nothing to update them with, sorry!

I guess UWSOM knew I was writing them a LOI because I got an invite today!!! yay!!! now I'm totally freaking out. Any OOSers have advice? feel free to PM me. Also, is it just one group interview?

I guess UWSOM knew I was writing them a LOI because I got an invite today!!! yay!!! now I'm totally freaking out. Any OOSers have advice? feel free to PM me. Also, is it just one group interview?

I interviewed for UW in early November. As an OOS ( or rather out of region), I got rejected. I had no idea that it was so hard to get into from out of region. When I applied I just liked the school, my uncle is there in the radiology dept, and they are good in both primary care and research. I didn't find out about the WWAMI preference until interview day. When I figured this out I asked the interview director how many out of state people get in. She said last year 3500 people applied 110 get interviews and then 15 were accepted. At that point I was like... uhhh omg, why am i even here??

To put it bluntly, if you are not from wyoming, washington, alaska, montana or idaho you have a VERY small chance of getting in. I think they admit out of regioners only if they have a really strong tie to one of those states because they really really really want to train physicians who will ultimately practice in those states. My uncle knew the guy who interviewed me and sent him an email about how much I liked the school. The guy basically said that even though i was a "star candidate" i had to have a strong reason that I was better than all the stellar, in region, candidates. I guess I didn't. On the other hand, if you are from those states you have a high chance. I think I read another post that said out of the 300 Idaho people that applied 20 got in.

Also, the interview is one of the most stressful because you have three faculty all asking you questions. Lots of situational, ethical, pushy questions. It was kinda fun because it made you think. You definitely need to know the issues of washington and the area. I was asked a question specifically about a proposition on the washington ballot, and not being from the area I couldn't talk that much about it.

Anyway, congrats on your interview invitation and make a good case for yourself!!

I interviewed in November as well. It was definitely a stressful interview, they basically ask you to provide solutions to problems that have no answers and then point out all the problems with your argument. It was very different than all my other interviews...I thought mine went pretty bad but I'm still "under consideration" so who knows what they're looking for (and I have no ties to WWAMI states). It's not impossible, you could be one of the 15 out of 3500!! :) Good luck!! :luck:

Whoops! I forgot to say CONGRATS! Good timing with that LOI

I still haven't heard a peep since submitting my primary in July. Come on, at least send me a letter so I can frame it, hang it next to my TV, and stare at it during greys anatomy commercial breaks

I still haven't heard a peep since submitting my primary in July. Come on, at least send me a letter so I can frame it, hang it next to my TV, and stare at it during greys anatomy commercial breaks

You can have one of mine! Yes, that's right, they have now sent me TWO rejection letters 5 months apart!!! I mean, I get it, they don't want me, but really rejecting me twice?! That's harsh :p

You can have one of mine! Yes, that's right, they have now sent me TWO rejection letters 5 months apart!!! I mean, I get it, they don't want me, but really rejecting me twice?! That's harsh :p

For real? I can send you a dollar thru paypal, that should cover postage + envelope + gas

I hate this.

I know i should start studying for my MCAT retake, but without the actual rejection in hand, its so hard!!!!!!!!!!

I hate this.

I know i should start studying for my MCAT retake, but without the actual rejection in hand, its so hard!!!!!!!!!!

What'd they say the last time you called them?? Obviously interviews are still going out so don't lose hope!!!

Frannie how did it go?

Hello Nina (and all). My interview was definitely a mixed bag. I was a bundle of nerves after lunch, but my head interviewer was actually SUPER nice and understanding about it.

Aside from that, all of my interviewers asked fair questions and did not seem antagonistic at all. I got asked a difficult ethical question, but I stood my ground on my position. There were some health care questions that I was fairly comfortable with after reading "Understanding Health Policy" by Bodenheimer (specifically useful for UW's interview, I think). All in all, the interview was as difficult as I had expected, so it's up to the adcom (and their tape recording of it) to judge if I have what it takes. :D

Hello Nina (and all). My interview was definitely a mixed bag. I was a bundle of nerves after lunch, but my head interviewer was actually SUPER nice and understanding about it.

Aside from that, all of my interviewers asked fair questions and did not seem antagonistic at all. I got asked a difficult ethical question, but I stood my ground on my position. There were some health care questions that I was fairly comfortable with after reading "Understanding Health Policy" by Bodenheimer (specifically useful for UW's interview, I think). All in all, the interview was as difficult as I had expected, so it's up to the adcom (and their tape recording of it) to judge if I have what it takes. :D
i read that book too, its great! i highly recommend it, and when i was at NYU interviewing my student host saw me reading it and said they use in their patient-physician-society class.

and they record it?? yikes!

Any news lately guys? Is the ExCom meeting on Jan 7 only for Alaska??

Maybe right after Jan 16 (possibly the next WA/OOS ExCom meeting?) people will be hearing good news again!

Wait, Jan 7th is only for Alaska? I thought the box is green on the interview calendar thing though...how confusing! Isn't Alaska pink? Hm..:confused::confused:

Wait, Jan 7th is only for Alaska? I thought the box is green on the interview calendar thing though...how confusing! Isn't Alaska pink? Hm..:confused::confused:

Yeah I wish I knew how it worked...it's on a "pink" day right? so maybe green = any AdCom meeting, and this one falls on a pink day so it's for Alaska only?

Congrats on surviving your interview! I guess we'll know when the next WA/OOR ExCom meeting is because you'll def. hear something from it.

What'd they say the last time you called them?? Obviously interviews are still going out so don't lose hope!!!

They said (for the third time) that I'm in the screening process and it will be another four to six weeks. If you add up all the "four to six weeks" I've been told it must be more than 18-24 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

Can someone pm the link to this year's calendar? I have last years, but obviously its not quite the same

They said (for the third time) that I'm in the screening process and it will be another four to six weeks. If you add up all the "four to six weeks" I've been told it must be more than 18-24 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

I'm right there with you. I've been complete for 3 months, they cashed my check a month ago, and when I called on Monday they told me "a few more weeks". Unfortunately, at this point I'm not sure I'd take the interview if it was offered, because it would be so expensive with so little chance of paying off, and I've gotten used to the idea of staying on the east coast. If they offer me an invite before I hear from UMass or BU I may go, otherwise I just don't think I can afford it for such a small chance of getting in. I'm extremely bummed. :(

I'm just at the point where I am starting to lose hope because there are only about 10 WA interview days left.

I'm just at the point where I am starting to lose hope because there are only about 10 WA interview days left.

Really? I thought interviews went on through March....that's too bad. Good luck.

Anyone know how many interviews are given out and how many acceptances?

Status
Not open for further replies.