2009-2010 Dartmouth Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. Thanks for the info yallayafa. I had thought the ADCOM met on Thursdays! Did you actually hear April 8th or are you extrapolating based upon how long it may take mail to reach people on the west coast? Do they send out snail-mail to those accepted THE DAY the committee meets (I wonder)?

So the Batting average average is about 750 eh? Wish I knew about the cuttoffs.

I heard that everyone would hear by April 8th provided they finish reviewing everyone by April 1st. Also, I wanted to clarify that on the day I interviewed, the batting score for acceptance is ~750. So, everyone who has been accepted, I'm assuming, has a score of 750 or higher. Good luck to all! :luck:

I heard that everyone would hear by April 8th provided they finish reviewing everyone by April 1st. Also, I wanted to clarify that on the day I interviewed, the batting score for acceptance is ~750. So, everyone who has been accepted, I'm assuming, has a score of 750 or higher. Good luck to all! :luck:

Interviews are over. All decisions should (hopefully) be made within the next 2-3 weeks so you should hear after that, if not sooner.
~Andrew

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't bother posting prelims/transitional years. I think this is complete/accurate:

Anesthesia (10):
University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals – Seattle, WA
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, MI
Johns Hopkins Hospital – Baltimore, MD
University Hospitals Case Medical Center - Cleveland, OH
University of Chicago Medical Center – Chicago, IL
University of Utah Affiliated Hospitals – Salt Lake City, UT
Virginia Mason Medical Center - Seattle, WA
Western Pennsylvania Hospital - Pittsburgh, PA (Temple)
Brigham & Women’s Hospital – Boston, MA (Harvard)

Dermatology (2):
UC San Francisco – San Francisco, CA
Emory University School of Medicine – Atlanta, GA

Emergency Medicine (4):
Boston University Medical Center – Boston, MA
Boston University Medical Center – Boston, MA
Maine Medical Center – Portland, ME

Family Medicine (1):
Grtr Lawrence Family Health Center – Lawrence, MA (Tufts)

General Surgery (5):
Hahnemann Univ Hosp - Philadelphia, PA (Drexel Univ)
Swedish Medical Center - Seattle, WA
University of Utah Affiliated Hospitals – Salt Lake City, UT
UC San Francisco-East Bay – Oakland, CA
Virginia Commonwealth Univ. Health System – Richmond, VA

Internal Medicine (Primary + Categorical = 12)
University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals – Seattle, WA
Johns Hopkins Hospital - Baltimore, MD
Massachusetts General Hospital – Boston, MA (Harvard)
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center – Lebanon, NH (Research Track with GI)
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center – Lebanon, NH (Research Track with Heme/Onc ?)
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center – Lebanon, NH
University of Massachusetts Medical School – Worcester, MA
Saint Vincent Hospital – Worcester, MA (U Mass)
NYP Hospital-Columbia University Medical Ctr – New York, NY
Einstein/Montefiore Medical Center - Bronx, NY
Rhode Island Hospital – Providence, RI (Brown)

Internal Medicine-Pediatrics (1):
Ohio State University Medical Center – Columbus, OH

Neurosurgery (1):

Neurology (1):

OB/GYN (7):
Tufts Medical Center - Boston, MA
Univ of New Mexico School of Medicine – Albuquerque, NM
Duke University Medical Center - Durham, NC
University of Connecticut Health Center – Farmington, CT
Women’s & Infants Hospital – Providence, RI (Brown)
Naval Medical Center - San Diego, CA

Ophthalmology (3):
CA Pacific Medical Center - San Francisco, CA (UCSF & DMS))
New York University – New York, NY

Orthopaedic Surgery (6):
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center – Pittsburgh PA
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA
NYU Hospital for Joint Disease – New York, NY
University of Toronto –Toronto, Ontario
Maimonides Medical Center - Brooklyn, NY (SUNY-Brooklyn)

Otolaryngology (2):
Baylor College of Medicine - Houston, TX
Stanford University – Stanford, CA

Pathology (2):
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - Iowa City, IA

Pediatrics (10):
Duke University Medical Center - Durham, NC
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia – Philadelphia, PA (Penn)
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia – Philadelphia, PA (Penn)
UC San Francisco-Fresno – Fresno, CA
Tulane University School of Medicine - New Orleans, LA
University Hospitals Case Medical Center – Cleveland, OH

Plastic Surgery (2):
University of South Florida College of Medicine – Tampa, FL
Medical College of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, WI

Psychiatry (2):
Cambridge Health Alliance - Cambridge, MA (Harvard)
UC Irvine Medical Center - Irvine, CA

Diagnostic Radiology (3):
Cleveland Clinic – Cleveland, OH
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics - Iowa City, IA

Radiation Oncology (1):

Urology (1):
Mayo Clinic Scottsdale – Scottsdale, AZ

That list seems pretty solid.

physicsnerd, do you know anything about the second look weekend? I think it is April 30th and May 1st. What do we do during those two days?

Also, what is the best way to approach the housing situation. I know there are some Dartmouth resources available but I am planning on getting my own apartment. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

That list seems pretty solid.

physicsnerd, do you know anything about the second look weekend? I think it is April 30th and May 1st. What do we do during those two days?

Also, what is the best way to approach the housing situation. I know there are some Dartmouth resources available but I am planning on getting my own apartment. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I went to revisit. It is a (very fun) infomercial for Dartmouth. There are a lot of good speakers and events. The first year med students traditionally throw a party for the prospies, so you get to meet a bunch of med students. I would definitely suggest that people go.

For rental info go here.

YAY!! accepted, interviewed 3/4 notified by snail mail the other day. definitely wanna go back and spend more time in hanover, it's gorgeous.

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know I decided to decline my acceptance to Dartmouth. It was a painful decision! Good luck to all of you in the future!

Hi everyone!! :hello:

I haven't been on here for a while, so I thought I would check in. I am very excited about revisit!!! Are there any other MD-PhD people that are planning to come early for revisit? Or MD people that want to come a few days early and spend some time exploring the area? I am coming from the west coast, so it makes sense for me to stay for a few days. I would love to find another prospy to spend time with, especially if you'd be interested in going on a hike or sharing a rental car to drive around Lebanon/Hanover :)

Let me know! I am excited to meet everyone who will be there for revisit!! And good luck to those still waiting :luck:

Last edited:
Just wait-listed, interviewed in mid-January - good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait listed yesterday as well. Anyone know about how many are wait listed? And historically there have been ~1/4 of the class off the wait list, so like ~20 or so may potentially get an acceptance?

I have heard that Dartmouth is a wait list heavy school. It is correct that some years almost 1/4 of the class has been pulled from the wait list.

Now you must realized that not every person they call (from the wait list) will not accept the spot.

So, if they have 20 open spots, I would assume that they call anywhere from 25-35 people.....

That is my assumption....don't take it for a fact....but it makes sense....I think.

So do you guys think that hearing nothing at all since your interview is better than a waitlist email? Or the other way around?

Just FYI - I received my fin aid package in the mail on Saturday. You have 14 days to accept/decline.

Just FYI - I received my fin aid package in the mail on Saturday. You have 14 days to accept/decline.

Sweet! When was your file complete with the financial aid office?
I don't mean to pry into very personal information, but was their offer generous? Also, if you have only 14 days to accept/decline, can you still go about haggling for a better fin aid package, even if let's say you have yet to receive your fin aid packages from other schools?

Sweet! When was your file complete with the financial aid office?
I don't mean to pry into very personal information, but was their offer generous? Also, if you have only 14 days to accept/decline, can you still go about haggling for a better fin aid package, even if let's say you have yet to receive your fin aid packages from other schools?

I was complete the first week of March - I'll PM you about the rest.

just got the acceptance letter! this is going to be a tough decision...

good luck to everyone still waiting!

Does anyone know if there is a Class of 2014 Facebook group? I couldn't find it while searching through FB.

Thanks!

just got the acceptance letter! this is going to be a tough decision...

good luck to everyone still waiting!

Airforce1 did you get waitlisted first?I am asking because I am waitlistled and in the email it said not to expect any movement till late May,so do us waitlisters actually have to wait till late-may or can we actually hear something before that?

No, I was not wait listed. I interviewed in late February and received an acceptance a few days ago.

So I'm in an interesting position. I interviewed on Feb 23rd and currently haven't heard anything from DMS. I know one person from my interview date who was waitlisted and there were also students that interviewed before my date that have posted here being rejected or waitlisted.
Is it possible that my file still hasn't been discussed by the committee, or am I somehow stuck in limbo?

So I'm in an interesting position. I interviewed on Feb 23rd and currently haven't heard anything from DMS. I know one person from my interview date who was waitlisted and there were also students that interviewed before my date that have posted here being rejected or waitlisted.
Is it possible that my file still hasn't been discussed by the committee, or am I somehow stuck in limbo?

In theory, everyone's file was discussed in a marathon adcom session a few days ago. You should hear something soon.

FYI, just got waitlisted by e-mail today. Interviewed 1/28.

Awang54, did you get asked to do the criminal background check?

:woot:

I just got a letter in the mail yesterday, thought it would be a rejection because no phone call happened... tore into it halfheartedly and actually ripped in half the hand-written acceptance card from DMS. Totally threw me for a loop! I interviewed on March 16th, I think. It was the last interview day I guess.

Did second look already happen here?

I just got a letter in the mail yesterday, thought it would be a rejection because no phone call happened... tore into it halfheartedly and actually ripped in half the hand-written acceptance card from DMS. Totally threw me for a loop! I interviewed on March 16th, I think. It was the last interview day I guess.

Congrats! Second look is April 30th-May 1st, so you haven't missed it. Is DMS your top choice?

Does anyone have a class schedule for the upcoming year or the previous year schedule?

Just curious for how much class there is

Hey Flicka,I interviewed on March 16th too,are you from Canada (land of ice and snow);)?

Mostly 8-noon (every day) with occasional afternoon stuff (average 1-2 days per week).

I see that there is a credit of Calculus required. Is there any way to waive it? I've taken several statistics courses in college. Or is it OK if I just take it during the summer before class starts in August?

I know that they accept AP credit for the calc requriement (as long it is on your official transcript), not sure about replacements though.

Does anyone know how much waitlist movement Dartmouth typically sees? Thanks!

Accepted!!

Canadian applicant, got my letter yesterday (Tuesday) and interviewed 02/23.

Pumped.

I see that there is a credit of Calculus required. Is there any way to waive it? I've taken several statistics courses in college. Or is it OK if I just take it during the summer before class starts in August?

You should probably check with admissions about this. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

You should probably check with admissions about this. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I'm probably paranoid or something, but could they rescind my acceptance if I ask them these kinds of questions, just worried! lol

I'm probably paranoid or something, but could they rescind my acceptance if I ask them these kinds of questions, just worried! lol

If you're already accepted and you said that you would satisfy the pre-reqs before med school, as long as you actually take those pre-reqs you'll be fine. One thing to consider, however, is that you will need to be in Hanover by the first or second week in August, so I'm not sure you'd actually have time to take a calc class before starting.

If you're really worried, you could call and pretend you're a prospective student applying for the next cyle and ask the question.

I would call, the secondary states that you simply have to take the pre-reqs prior to matriculation so you have time. If you took AP, then you're OK according to the secondary. If you didn't and its just the stats classes, I would call and find out if you could get a waiver or find out what your options for taking a calc. class are that they will accept (summer school, comm. coll., online course). They wouldn't be able to rescind the offer for asking what your options are, they would be able to if by the first day of classes you don't have a pre-req complete.

Congrats to everyone who's gotten acceptances or wait-listed recented. I was just curious if any rejections have gone out since the reportedly ultimate adcom meeting last week, and if so in what form? email or snail mail? Still in limbo myself.

Rejected MD/PhD, accepted MD. Anybody have thoughts about Dartmouth vs. BU?

In like Flynn
meebo_023.gif

Interviewed in early sept. Didn't hear anything until today by mail.

In like Flynn
meebo_023.gif

Interviewed in early sept. Didn't hear anything until today by mail.

Congrats! Quite the wait, but well worth it I'm sure =)

On another note, anyone know how fast North Park fills out? Think there'll still be openings in mid May after waitlist starts flowing?

Rejected MD/PhD, accepted MD. Anybody have thoughts about Dartmouth vs. BU?

I went to Dartmouth undergrad so i think it would be kinda strange to go back to Dartmouth med because i was apart of the undergrad scene but can't really be anymore in med school. BU for me feels like a new start. Otherwise,i would go back to dartmouth for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.