2009-2010 Dartmouth Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In like Flynn
meebo_023.gif

Interviewed in early sept. Didn't hear anything until today by mail.

Congrats Bryson!

Are you going to second look?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did DMS 1st year change to pass/fail for 2010 entering class?

Will there still be the quizzes every 2-3 weeks?

I couldn't find any information about if the acceptance is conditional and stuff like that. I know DMS requires at least 3 years of school in USA or Canada, I'm in my 4th/senior year right now and if I were to fail a course or to get a D in a course or two, would they rescind???

I couldn't find any information about if the acceptance is conditional and stuff like that. I know DMS requires at least 3 years of school in USA or Canada, I'm in my 4th/senior year right now and if I were to fail a course or to get a D in a course or two, would they rescind???

good question! i'm sure a lot of people are slacking off after getting accepted. any one have an answer?

good question! i'm sure a lot of people are slacking off after getting accepted. any one have an answer?

I'm not 100% sure about Dartmouth's policy, but in most schools, you just have to pass your classes prior to matriculation, if you're already accepted.

I'm not 100% sure about Dartmouth's policy, but in most schools, you just have to pass your classes prior to matriculation, if you're already accepted.

Physicsnerd, do you have any input on Dartmouth's conditions?

Physicsnerd, do you have any input on Dartmouth's conditions?

I know that you must finish the pre-reqs before matriculating. I'm not sure, however, whether a D or F in a class that is not a pre-req would affect you acceptance. Do the acceptance letters say anything about that?

If you're worried, you may want to give the admissions office a call. They are the best source of information. The simplest solution is just not to get any Ds or Fs :p I mean, if you're doing that badly in a class (that isn't needed to graduate or is a pre-req for med school), why not just withdraw?

Just breathing some life back in to this thread!

Has anyone else heard back recently?

Also does anyone know when the August orientation week/start of class is? Sorry if it was posted already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orientation starts 8/9.

Hey physicsnerd (you're doing an MD/PhD right?), how does one typically go about applying to the MD/PhD program at Dartmouth? Do most students come in as MD/PhDs or do a lot of them apply during first year? I may be considering adding a PhD if I decide to come.

I am wondering about shuttles. I am looking for a place to live right now and price/quality is gravitating me toward Lebanon. Are there shuttles available from Lebanon to DHMC and/or DMS? If so, can you provide a link to their schedules and stop locations?

Thanks! : )

I am wondering about shuttles. I am looking for a place to live right now and price/quality is gravitating me toward Lebanon. Are there shuttles available from Lebanon to DHMC and/or DMS? If so, can you provide a link to their schedules and stop locations?

Hi diAGNOSTIC,

Here's the shuttle schedule. I'm a first year student at Dartmouth--several fellow students use the shuttle regularly.

http://www.advancetransit.com/

Orientation starts 8/9.

Hey physicsnerd (you're doing an MD/PhD right?), how does one typically go about applying to the MD/PhD program at Dartmouth? Do most students come in as MD/PhDs or do a lot of them apply during first year? I may be considering adding a PhD if I decide to come.

Hi,
So almost everyone in the MD/PhD program started in the program. Occasionally, however, people are accepted from within Dartmouth (med or grad school). You still need to go through the application process as an internal candidate. I know several people who have applied in the last few years as internal candidates and I only know of one who was accepted so it is by no means a sure thing. Still, it's worth a shot.

I see your background is engineering, so something that may be easier to get into than the MD/PhD program (if that doesn't work out) is the joint MD/MS with the engineering school.

I'm glad ruraldr posted that link. One thing to be aware of, however, is that if you come to Dartmouth you NEED to have a car. Being on the AT line is great (free public transportation). The problem is that most of the busses only run from about ~6 or 6:30 am until 7 pm. There will be rotations when you need to be at the hospital earlier than that and many nights you'll want to be in the library later than that. Also, the shuttles don't operate on the weekend. And, your On Doctoring could be 50 miles away (like mine was). So, it's great to live close to the AT but it cannot be your only means of transportation.

Last edited:
Hi,
So almost everyone in the MD/PhD program started in the program. Occasionally, however, people are accepted from within Dartmouth (med or grad school). You still need to go through the application process as an internal candidate. I know several people who have applied in the last few years as internal candidates and I only know of one who was accepted so it is by no means a sure thing. Still, it's worth a shot.

I see your background is engineering, so something that may be easier to get into than the MD/PhD program (if that doesn't work out) is the joint MD/MS with the engineering school.

Ok, I think that's basically the story at the schools I'm still considering. I like how you can do ANY PhD at Dartmouth in the MD/PhD program. I guess that's probably because it's not NIH funded huh?

Ok, I think that's basically the story at the schools I'm still considering. I like how you can do ANY PhD at Dartmouth in the MD/PhD program. I guess that's probably because it's not NIH funded huh?

I think the lack of a MSTP grant does give us some more flexibility (we also take internationals). Although, we just applied for a MSTP grant and were told that even if we were to get the MSTP we would still allow people to do the PhD in what they want since the MSTP grant only funds a small portion of the spots in almost any program.

I'm glad ruraldr posted that link. One thing to be aware of, however, is that if you come to Dartmouth you NEED to have a car. Being on the AT line is great (free public transportation). The problem is that most of the busses only run from about ~6 or 6:30 am until 7 pm. There will be rotations when you need to be at the hospital earlier than that and many nights you'll want to be in the library later than that. Also, the shuttles don't operate on the weekend. And, your On Doctoring could be 50 miles away (like mine was). So, it's great to live close to the AT but it cannot be your only means of transportation.

~Andrew

Is there any way to survive without a car in 1st year? I might not be able to bring one, would the On Doctoring ppl assign you a spot at DMHC instead? Were there any students that didn't bring cars in your year?

Is there any way to survive without a car in 1st year? I might not be able to bring one, would the On Doctoring ppl assign you a spot at DMHC instead? Were there any students that didn't bring cars in your year?

For 1st year you can request to have On Doc at DHMC or the VA (busses go there too). It's possible, but not ideal to not have a car in first year. There were a couple of people in my class who did not have cars in 1st year and they were ok. Honestly, though, if you're not going to have a car you really want to live in Hanover so that you have easier access to Dartmouth.

~Andrew

Thanks Ruraldr and physicsnerd. I do have a car. I can't imagine not having the option to drive up in Hanover. Anyways thanks again for the advice. I will still use the shuttle service I'm sure.

Are non-need-based scholarships likely at Dartmouth? I was accepted to Boston University's MD/PhD program and Dartmouth's MD program. I'm probably going to go to Boston unless Dartmouth offers some amazing financial aid.

Are non-need-based scholarships likely at Dartmouth? I was accepted to Boston University's MD/PhD program and Dartmouth's MD program. I'm probably going to go to Boston unless Dartmouth offers some amazing financial aid.

Hi Naijaba,

I found Dartmouth's financial aid to be very generous (better even than my state school) but am unsure of the break down of need based vs. non-need based. If you haven't gotten your financial aid from them, or have and don't feel that it measures up I know they are willing to take calls/discuss your situation with you.

Best of luck with your decision!

Honestly, if you really love research I'd go with the fully-funded MD/PhD program over a MD program any day. I love Dartmouth, but I wouldn't have come here over a MD/PhD program.

during the financial aid presentation on the interview day, we were told there is no merit scholarship. it's all need based.

Question for any current students: how's living in hanover/lebanon?

I'm not really that familiar with the area - is there a lot to do around Dartmouth?

Last edited:

I'm not really that familiar with the area - is there a lot to do around Dartmouth?

hahaha.....

uhm, depends. if you are outdoorsy you'll never be bored.

Personally, I love living here (better than Ottawa or SF Bay Area, not quite as good as Portland, OR). Winter = skiing (Dartmouth owns a skiway that's not too far from campus and good (for east coast) skiing is about 30-45 min away in Vermont). Skating on the pond is fun (a lot of pickup hockey games). IM sports.

Summer = hiking, kayaking, etc.

Because Dartmouth is here, there are lots of speakers, shows, events around campus. I actually spend a decent amount of time in the jewelry studio. There are a few bars around campus. Honestly, I'm not often bored.

I agree with physicsnerd42--its a nice place to be able to live. Friendly people, not a ton of traffic so I don't waste time traveling. I have a dog and it's been nice for him to be out of the city. Great walking trails/lake/river access and more great talks/shows on campus then I actually have time to attend.

Having moved here from a city the things I miss most are:

1) easily getting to see big name music shows--can do it, but means I have to travel down to Boston or up to Montreal.

2) great food. There are fun restaurants but not the breadth you would find in a city.

With that said--I feel like it's been worth giving up having those things on an everyday basis for the benefits of the school, my classmates and the beautiful surroundings.

Hi, I was a bit worried about my grades this year, but I wanted to ask if you think they would rescind my acceptance based on a 70 as a one of my final marks this year. I haven't been able to keep up my academics as well as my other years and as a result have earned one 70 and one 75, in an otherwise 80+ year. I know I'm probably freaking out, but they wouldn't take away my precioussss acceptance right? :scared:

Hi, I was a bit worried about my grades this year, but I wanted to ask if you think they would rescind my acceptance based on a 70 as a one of my final marks this year. I haven't been able to keep up my academics as well as my other years and as a result have earned one 70 and one 75, in an otherwise 80+ year. I know I'm probably freaking out, but they wouldn't take away my precioussss acceptance right? :scared:

Isn't a 70 like a B- in Canada? I doubt you'll lose your acceptance over a B or 2.

Current students: What are some of the reasons that you decided to go to Dartmouth?

Current students: What are some of the reasons that you decided to go to Dartmouth?

People get along/collaborate here. Med school is tough enough on its own, so I wanted to go a place where people get along. The faculty treat us like junior colleagues. I wanted to do the research that was going on here. I loved the location. It just felt right.

I liked the small size of the school/stories of friendly/helpful faculty and teaching focused attendings at the hospital.

I was excited to be near great outdoors opportunities and in a place that would be comfortable/easy to live as a student and on a student budget.

The financial aid package was solid and coming to Dartmouth moved me to the same coast as my family.

My favorite things as a current student have been how bright, motivated and involved my fellow students are and how available my teachers have been.

I feel like anything I ask to do I get the answer "yes" (from faculty spending one on one time with me in the anatomy lab to review dissections that were confusing to physicians at the hospital letting me shadow them/watch surgeries etc.)

I love that the deans know me by name and send me opportunities that they think I'll be interested on based on knowing me.

It has been a busy but happy year. :)

People get along/collaborate here. Med school is tough enough on its own, so I wanted to go a place where people get along. The faculty treat us like junior colleagues. I wanted to do the research that was going on here. I loved the location. It just felt right.

Sounds like Dartmouth has a great community/atmosphere.

If you don't mind telling me, what research did you find interesting there?

I liked the small size of the school/stories of friendly/helpful faculty and teaching focused attendings at the hospital.

I was excited to be near great outdoors opportunities and in a place that would be comfortable/easy to live as a student and on a student budget.

The financial aid package was solid and coming to Dartmouth moved me to the same coast as my family.

My favorite things as a current student have been how bright, motivated and involved my fellow students are and how available my teachers have been.

I feel like anything I ask to do I get the answer "yes" (from faculty spending one on one time with me in the anatomy lab to review dissections that were confusing to physicians at the hospital letting me shadow them/watch surgeries etc.)

I love that the deans know me by name and send me opportunities that they think I'll be interested on based on knowing me.

It has been a busy but happy year. :)

Wow, thanks for the insight. Sounds like a really amazing place!

Sounds like Dartmouth has a great community/atmosphere.

If you don't mind telling me, what research did you find interesting there?

There's a lot of biomedical engineering going on here: imaging, protein engineering and nanotech. I'm in a lab that uses nanoparticles (antibody targeted and un-targeted) to kill tumors. There's good stuff going on in the med grad departments too.

For the financial aid stuff, does anyone know what forms/information is needed (including parental info)? Thanks!

I withdrew today. Best of luck to all the waitlisters out there!

I'm on the waitlist and really want to get into DMS as my top choice school... I've already sent in updates so I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Do I just have to cross my fingers and keep waiting? Any other suggestions?

If you have updated the school with all new and relevant information, then you need to sit tight and cross your fingers.

The director of admissions stated that and sort of LOI is not helpful. Your "batting average" has already been determined. The only thing that can help is a substantial update (publications, grades).

Good luck.

Has anyone gotten mail regarding how to set up your email and stuff?

Doesn't seem like anyone has heard anything for awhile now...anyone out there to disprove this?

Withdrew my acceptance, good luck all.

Woke up this morning with a phone call from Dartmouth; accepted off the wait list!

I had scenarios in my head of intensely waiting until August 8th...I am extremely grateful for not only being accepted but also being informed of it so soon. I will definitely be going to Dartmouth.

Good luck to all who are still waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.