2009-2010 Dartmouth Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The apartment that I'm renting will be unfurnished. Does anyone know where the cheapest furniture stores are? I would prefer to get flat pack furniture (i.e. Ikea style... needs to be assembled) so that I can fit it in my car.

Thanks!

Hi futuremdtobe,

I suggest asking your question on the 2014 facebook page as well (I know other Dartmouth folks check there and might have suggestions). Some of our class took a trip down to Ikea near the start of school to get furniture. Others rented a moving van and went to a local good-will type shop called "the listen center" that is in the upper valley--I made use of Craig's list.

BJ's--the local equivalent of a "Costco" might have some sort of flat pack furniture--not really sure...

Rural

The apartment that I'm renting will be unfurnished. Does anyone know where the cheapest furniture stores are? I would prefer to get flat pack furniture (i.e. Ikea style... needs to be assembled) so that I can fit it in my car.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
how come the facebook group is so inactive? is there a google groups in addition to this or somewhere else where people are communicating??

Do we have to complete any first aid course before matriculating? i.e. being certified in CPR?

I'm not sure. Probably a function of the small class size. Plus I don't think that most of these types of groups are too incredibly active, just in general. Don't worry though, I'm sure our class is going to be awesome!

(and I think the facebook group is it, as far as I know)

Don't bother buying an Otoscope or Ophthalmoscope. Those instruments will be hanging on the wall of any exam room you go into (and cost way too much). Reflex hammers will also be in the room, but they're cheap, so why not? I'm not sure what else they want you to get...

You do need a stethoscope. I got the Cardio III and like it.

The order deadline is coming up in a few days and I was wondering...do I really need to order this early to have the stethoscope by mid Aug? Or is it OK to order during mid Aug and have it a bit later? (just wondering because On Doctoring will start)

Is there a consensus that only the stethoscope is really the only thing that we MUST get..and that the other equipment will generally be found in the examination room?

Does anybody know if we need to buy textbooks? if so, wheres the list?

Not sure if the class websites are up yet--but if so, you'll find syllabi, etc by logging in with the same name/password as your dartmouth email at this link:

https://www.dartmouth.edu/~blackboard/cas_index.php

You may just want to wait until you get to campus--many people don't buy any textbooks or use the ones on reserve at the library.

The order deadline is coming up in a few days and I was wondering...do I really need to order this early to have the stethoscope by mid Aug? Or is it OK to order during mid Aug and have it a bit later? (just wondering because On Doctoring will start)

Is there a consensus that only the stethoscope is really the only thing that we MUST get..and that the other equipment will generally be found in the examination room?

You'll want your stethoscope pretty early in the year (last year we had our first clinic time at the beginning of September)--I'd go ahead and order soon. I think the other equipment all falls under the nice to have category (not a must).

These are all the textbooks you will probably need for the first two years:

Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy (They have a softcover too, but this is one book you'll want to keep).
BRS Physiology
BRS Pathology
First Aid for the USMLE Step I

Thanks! The class websites aren't up yet, so I'll most likely wait until classes start before I get the books.

when do we get notice of where we're placed for On Doctoring?

I'm not sure of the exact date--but know that we didn't learn ours until after classes had started (I would guess you'll know by the end of August).

Any suggestions on a good bank in the area for a chequing account? Thanks

Hi everybody!

Does anyone remember the name of this very very pleasant lady, with brown hair, that gives the introduction speech to all interviewees?

I can't seem to remember...I think her first/last name has Bull or something. A little help is much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.