2009-2010 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just called EVMS...still top 1/3. I asked about waitlist movement and they said they aren't even finished interviewing yet so the WL isn't moving yet. They expect there will be a little movement starting up at the end of the month and the bulk of their movement will be after May 15th(as expected).


I was accepted off the waitlist just yesterday so I guess there is some movement already....
 
lol well thanks, but no thanks... was a great school but I can't turn down Brody tuition. Hopefully some other NC female will get the spot who really wants it.

Where did you get in, if you don't mind me asking?


UNC! evms was great but unc was ny number one. Also, im a guy so maybe its just about what state youre in, or maybe it wasnt related at all haha
 
I found out I was in the upper third of the wait list...But I called today and the lady told me the wait list consists of 350 people. What's up with that? There's no reason for the wait list to be that long...Why can't they go ahead and let people know instead of giving them false hope. I would rather know that I wasn't getting in so I can go ahead and make improvements to my application.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I officially withdrew my application after being accepted earlier this week. I had to double and triple check that my other acceptance was still good... I have this terrible fear that it was all a mistake and my other school is going to take my acceptance back or that I forgot to fill out some stupid form within a certain time-frame, which makes my acceptance expire or something. Lol... guess I'm just a crazy pre-med.

Anyways, Good Luck to everyone else!
 
So I officially withdrew my application after being accepted earlier this week. I had to double and triple check that my other acceptance was still good... I have this terrible fear that it was all a mistake and my other school is going to take my acceptance back or that I forgot to fill out some stupid form within a certain time-frame, which makes my acceptance expire or something. Lol... guess I'm just a crazy pre-med.

Anyways, Good Luck to everyone else!


Completely logical fear.. at least to me anyway! Best of luck!
 
Is the school waitlist going to move much before may?

Just called EVMS...still top 1/3. I asked about waitlist movement and they said they aren't even finished interviewing yet so the WL isn't moving yet. They expect there will be a little movement starting up at the end of the month and the bulk of their movement will be after May 15th(as expected).

More details on previous page.
 
has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet?? i really want to go here and i dunno if sending a letter would help...
 
has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet?? i really want to go here and i dunno if sending a letter would help...

Yes. I did not write a letter though. I litterally got the waitlist letter in the mail one day and before I could even ask what 1/3 I was in, got the acceptance packet the next week.

However, EVMS was not my top choice and since I was already accepted at my #1, I declined the offer. BUT if you really want to go here, I don't think writing a LOI will ever HURT your chance. You might as well... never know what will make you stand out from the others. Make the letter specific and really explain Why you want to go there
 
Hey female OOS top 1/3 waitlist here. Really hoping to get in! Interviewed January 27th. Good luck to everyone who's waiting for acceptances...its a tough process, but worth it if its your dream.
 
Just talked to admissions again today. They said that they will start examining the list starting tomorrow. And she verified how they try to replace what they lose from the class they have right now. So if any male instater with a good GPA and a so-so MCAT score wants to pass up on admission. FEEL FREE😀
 
Just talked to admissions again today. They said that they will start examining the list starting tomorrow. And she verified how they try to replace what they lose from the class they have right now. So if any male instater with a good GPA and a so-so MCAT score wants to pass up on admission. FEEL FREE😀

Thanks for the info! Does that mean they've finished reviewing all the applicants for the first decisions? I've haven't received a decision post-interview, since I interviewed less than 2 weeks ago. Should I call them?
 
Thanks for the info! Does that mean they've finished reviewing all the applicants for the first decisions? I've haven't received a decision post-interview, since I interviewed less than 2 weeks ago. Should I call them?

Well by this point, the class is full as it has been for some months. As EVMS gets rejections from applicants they have been filling them with similar applicants. I'd call, thats how i found out i was 1/3 waiting list. In the coming month is when we'll start to see movement. Keep those fingers
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just talked to admissions again today. They said that they will start examining the list starting tomorrow. And she verified how they try to replace what they lose from the class they have right now. So if any male instater with a good GPA and a so-so MCAT score wants to pass up on admission. FEEL FREE😀

Sounds like we're both in the exact same category!!! Haha, well, good luck to both of us! And everyone else still out there waiting!
 
Also in the "male in-state" category here. I have a feeling like we're not in the best cohort, but who knows. I also called today but didn't hear anything about them starting to look at applications. I guess it depends on who you talk to.
 
Also in the "male in-state" category here. I have a feeling like we're not in the best cohort, but who knows. I also called today but didn't hear anything about them starting to look at applications. I guess it depends on who you talk to.


Yea, ive called prolly 2 or 3 times a month since i interviewed a few months ago and I seem to always talk to a really nice admissions lady with what sounds like a latino accent. I always try and ask as many questions as I can fit in our 2 minute convo hah
 
has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet?? i really want to go here and i dunno if sending a letter would help...

I was accepted off the waitlist about 3 weeks ago (I got waitlisted at the end of December). I didn't write a letter but I kept in touch with them via phone, esp. the minority affairs office and I just kept reiterating my interest in the school and lo and behold I got the acceptance letter. However, a week later I got my acceptance to MCV and that's been my top school from the beginning of this game so I'm 99% sure I'll be withdrawing.
I would say at this point though, send an letter. It certainly won't hurt you
 
I was accepted off the waitlist about 3 weeks ago (I got waitlisted at the end of December). I didn't write a letter but I kept in touch with them via phone, esp. the minority affairs office and I just kept reiterating my interest in the school and lo and behold I got the acceptance letter. However, a week later I got my acceptance to MCV and that's been my top school from the beginning of this game so I'm 99% sure I'll be withdrawing.
I would say at this point though, send an letter. It certainly won't hurt you

What do you say to keep your interest apparent? And why do you talk to the minority affairs office?

Are you OOS?

I just talked to a lady on the phone today. My interviewers haven't sent in my file yet so I'm not yet reviewed. Felt like a very unlucky guy since at other school that should have quick turnaround decision I was kept waiting twice as long too. But she's nice and told me to call back next week 🙂 Also she said the adcom meet several times a week now.
 
So I received the phonecall last Friday afternoon while I was prepping a patient for surgery... I wanted to keep it on the DL until I got my acceptance packet (to make sure I really did hear those beautiful words). :soexcited:

I was waitlisted since October (interviewed in late September). Just got the invite for Preview Weekend... Can't wait!!!!

Who here is definitely going to be coming to preview? Anyone know if they are definitely matriculating (I AM!!! :biglove:)?

PS - If you really want to go here, let them know. They genuinely take it into account!
 
So I received the phonecall last Friday afternoon while I was prepping a patient for surgery... I wanted to keep it on the DL until I got my acceptance packet (to make sure I really did hear those beautiful words). :soexcited:

I was waitlisted since October (interviewed in late September). Just got the invite for Preview Weekend... Can't wait!!!!

Who here is definitely going to be coming to preview? Anyone know if they are definitely matriculating (I AM!!! :biglove:)?

PS - If you really want to go here, let them know. They genuinely take it into account!


How did you let them know?!

Also, have any IS waitlisted people got preview weekend invites yet??
 
How did you let them know?!

I called, emailed, wrote letters, got attendings and PIs to call and write... Trust me, they definitely recognize and appreciate the effort. Just don't be over the top with it. I had many months to space everything out (and it wasn't in regular intervals either), so I would probably alternate your methods so as to avoid getting annoying.

You can PM me if you have additional/more specific questions. I'm happy to help (or at least try!).
 
How did you let them know?!

Also, have any IS waitlisted people got preview weekend invites yet??


The RSVPs for preview weekend are supposed to be in by Monday, so I'm pretty sure that everyone who's invited invite has already gotten their invite.

I'm an IS male waitlister and I don't know of any IS waitlisters who've gotten invites to preview weekend, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I personally know a male in-stater who was waitlisted last year and got a preview invite (and was accepted soon thereafter).
 
I am in-state, top 1/3 of the waiting list. And I got an invite to preview weekend yesterday. Does this necessarily mean I will be accepted?
 
Very good chance. But I have heard of people going and not being accepted.

This begs the question... What are the chances of IS waitlist acceptance if *not* invited to the Preview Weekend? (upper-third male, lifetime hampton roads resident)

I don't expect anyone will know for sure... I know of someone who wasn't invited and got accepted, but I was reeeaaaally hoping I'd get invited because I'd heard that an invite to preview is a good sign for the waitlisted.
 
Hey everybody!

I just received an invitation to preview weekend; however, I called last week to check my status and I'm still wait listed in the top third (OOS Male interviewed in February). Is this some sort of mistake or is this a good sign for me? I've never heard of wait listed individuals being invited to preview weekends at other institutions, but upon reading this thread it appears that EVMS has sent out these invitations in the past. If someone could shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time!🙂
 
chanson, how much have you kept in touch with them. I am top 1/3 oos male but i interviewed back in November. I haven't really talked to them at all since, you think i might be in trouble? I have basically been sitting and waiting for them, would it do any good to call this week? EVMS's waitlist is so confusing
 
I called them immediately after receiving my wait list letter to figure out my wait list position. After I called them, I sent Dr. Solhaug a LOI and then I called again to see if they included my LOI in my file. I would give the admission office a call. The lady I have spoken to is very nice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
chanson - when did you send your LOI? I sent one too a few weeks ago and I haven't gotten an invite to preview weekend. I'm OOS female. I really really want to go to this school. I have another offer, but would totally give it up for this school. I'm not sure if I should send a letter of intent too???
 
I sent the LOI a few weeks ago as well.

chanson - when did you send your LOI? I sent one too a few weeks ago and I haven't gotten an invite to preview weekend. I'm OOS female. I really really want to go to this school. I have another offer, but would totally give it up for this school. I'm not sure if I should send a letter of intent too???
 
I sent mine in (LOI and an LOR from my lab) about a month ago and just called. They confirmed that they had it on record. Mid tier OOS from Cali. :xf::luck::luck::luck:
 
I sent mine in (LOI and an LOR from my lab) about a month ago and just called. They confirmed that they had it on record. Mid tier OOS from Cali. :xf::luck::luck::luck:

I was middle third OOS as well and got in... THERE'S STILL HOPE!!! :xf:
 
phantomx87 - you got in.... as in you got accepted off the waitlist?? I'm top third OOS and called today and they said I'm still on the waitlist!
 
phantomx87 - you got in.... as in you got accepted off the waitlist?? I'm top third OOS and called today and they said I'm still on the waitlist!

Yeah, I was in the middle third of the OOS waitlist. My acceptance letter was dated 31 March. Just keep hounding them, let them know that you REALLY want to go, and have faith!

PM me if you have specific questions about anything. Always happy to lend a hand!
 
phantom - did you get invited to preview weekend before you got accepted?

I've called them so many times and I've sent them an LOI. I'm not sure what else I can do. This whole medical school acceptance thing is so freaking arbitrary!
 
phantom - did you get invited to preview weekend before you got accepted?

I've called them so many times and I've sent them an LOI. I'm not sure what else I can do. This whole medical school acceptance thing is so freaking arbitrary!

No, I got my preview invite after I found out I was accepted. I got the phonecall a week before I got the invite, and the acceptance packet and invite arrived on the same day.

I completely feel your pain on the randomness of the application process. I have the exact same grades and slightly better MCAT than one of my friends, but he's been interviewed and accepted at pretty much all of the upper-tier schools (Penn, Harvard, Pritzker, Mayo... 12 schools applied, 12 schools interviewed, 12 schools accepted). On the other hand, I only had 5 interviews (4 of which were after Feb 1), with 2 acceptances, 2 WL, and one rejection. It's absolutely frustrating, but everything happens for a reason... This is my 3rd cycle, so (again) I completely feel your pain.
 
does anyone know how many people are on the upper third of the instate wait-list?? and whether or not i should start preparing to re-apply?
 
I highly doubt that they would give out that information. I am of the opinion that it's better to have a plan B/C/D/E... and act on it, rather than leaving it to chance. If reapplying is your backup/only choice at this point, I would say definitely start preparing now.

I would, however, caution you against reapplying in consecutive years unless there's some dramatic improvement between your the application cycles. I did exactly this, but my application had hardly changed from the 1st cycle to the 2nd. Obviously, I didn't have success with that plan. IMHO, you should be looking into a post-baccalaureate program, SMP, retaking you MCAT (if need be), etc...

PM me if you have specific questions.

PS - I am by no means a counselor... I have just been through this process too many times not to know most (if not all) the pitfalls. I can share with you (or whomever else is looking for pointers) my experiences and what guidance that helped/hindered my progress.

does anyone know how many people are on the upper third of the instate wait-list?? and whether or not i should start preparing to re-apply?
 
I was middle third OOS as well and got in... THERE'S STILL HOPE!!! :xf:

Congrats man!! Hope to become your classmate here in the next month. I do find this kind of interesting/frustrating tho, why have a tiered waitlisting system if its totally ignored? Oh and admissions said there are 350 ppl on the waitlist so top third is about 115.
 
Congrats man!! Hope to become your classmate here in the next month. I do find this kind of interesting/frustrating tho, why have a tiered waitlisting system if its totally ignored? Oh and admissions said there are 350 ppl on the waitlist so top third is about 115.

I don't think that the tiering system is completely ignored for pulling applicants off. I do, however, think that they need to revise the way that they explain it to us applicants.

The way it was explained to me at the interview, and again numerous times on the phone, is that they try to match from the waitlist with what they lose from the outright-accepted pool. Example - an IS URM female withdraws, and they look to pull an IS URM female from the WL. Make sense? I speculate that in order to find said alternate, they look at everyone fitting that description, and THEN they look at what tier that person falls under. By that train of thought, the tier method comes into play.

This is, of course, just my speculation... I could be totally way off base here. 🙄
 
Congrats man!! Hope to become your classmate here in the next month. I do find this kind of interesting/frustrating tho, why have a tiered waitlisting system if its totally ignored? Oh and admissions said there are 350 ppl on the waitlist so top third is about 115.

Does anyone they have any idea about the ratio of IS/OOS on the waitlist?

I had heard that you get a score based on your application, interview, etc., and if your score is X, you're "top third." I'm not 100% sure that the top third is mathematically the top third. I think this might be the case because has anyone heard of someone in the "lower-third?" I know I haven't.
 
Does anyone they have any idea about the ratio of IS/OOS on the waitlist?

I had heard that you get a score based on your application, interview, etc., and if your score is X, you're "top third." I'm not 100% sure that the top third is mathematically the top third. I think this might be the case because has anyone heard of someone in the "lower-third?" I know I haven't.

I personally know someone in the bottom third. It's real...but I don't know how many people are down there. I suspect that the thirds aren't really equal in population.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I personally know someone in the bottom third. It's real...but I don't know how many people are down there. I suspect that the thirds aren't really equal in population.

I'm actually glad to hear that there *is* a lower third. Out of about 10 people who I know personally and are on the waitlist, 9 of them are in the top third and 1 is in the middle third. I was honestly thinking that there wasn't a lower third because they wouldn't want to tell someone, "You're in the lower third of the waitlist."

I definitely don't think that the thirds have equal populations... it seems like almost everyone I talk to is in the upper third.

I'm not complaining though, at least I'm still in the running with some shot and, having lived 15 minutes away all of my life, I've always loved this school and seen myself going here.

Hopefully things work out:xf:
 
I am top third OOS, but I didn't get an invite to the preview weekend...should I be worried?

I know people on previous waitlists who weren't invited to preview and still go in, so I wouldn't necessarily be worried... but I'm under the impression that it's a much better sign to get an invite than to not be invited.

hope that helps
 
Status
Not open for further replies.