2009-2010 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man i'm getting jammed with these secondaries. My one-month EVMS secondary deadline is like next week!! I also got another deadline the same week :scared: And I still got like 20 left... :help:

i just realized i didnt respond to your post, i totally feel ya on the secondary jam.. i dont have 20 but getting close to 10 and i am officially becoming the biggest procrastinator on earth 😎

the secondaries are taking over my life (def took my whole summer away so far!)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol, interview invites... just what I wanna hear as I delay completing this secondary and focus on other ones. 🙄

nah, jk. Congrats!
 
i posted this elsewhere, but because i'm feeling somewhat neurotic at the moment:

what should i do though? i already submitted my primaries to 18 schools with letters of rec and everything. i don't think i can ask for letters of rec from the professors again, and i don't want to go through the hassle of rewriting my personal statement.

my ideal situation would be to retake the mcat in august and somehow have the schools i applied to wait for my third mcat (which i haven't talked about in my primaries). i'm not sure if that's even possible though.

i could apply to DO schools, but since i already applied to several MD schools, is it possible to simultaneously apply to the DO schools there as well? even after i've already applied to their MD programs?

wait a year and retake in january then reapply in june. would it count as reapplying though if i rescinded my application somehow midway through the process?

I don't know much about DO schools. do most schools that offer MD programs offer DO programs too? or are those schools generally separate entities? should i go ahead with my low tier MD applications? or somehow rescind them to reply fresh somehow next year?

You should only retake MCAT this application cycle if you're sure your scores would be higher, i.e. holding steady around at least 28 on practice MCATs (the AAMC ones, they're most accurate). You should still retake in Jan or early next summer if you don't this summer.

Don't withdraw your apps that are complete (and you paid for them). If your credentials for applying next year are stronger, reapplying does not mean lower chances.

DO and MD schools are entirely separate systems. Only Michigan State and another school have both programs. Thus applying to both would not conflict in any ways. Except it's expensive ($1000) to hold a class spot for a DO school, when you have 2 weeks to decide and still waiting on admissions decisions from other MD schools. I read some ppl apply to DO schools in Sept so they are likely to have few MD decisions before havnig to reserve a DO spot for $1000 with only 2 weeks to decide.

There's a different application system for DO schools (like AMCAS for MD). Almost all DO schools require a physician letter (usu from a DO), you should have that if you want to apply.

Yes, sign up for Interfolio and tell your letter writers to send their letters there. Interfolio is a commercial letter service and will hold your letters confidential and it's trusted by all medical schools. It will hold your letters indefinitely as long as you keep paying them. It's much less than the fees to apply to 1 med school.
 
Anyone with an interview invite have a student host set up? I filled out the little form for hosting that they link to, but I haven't heard anything back. I should probably just go ahead and make a hotel reservation huh.
 
If anyone is really in a financial pinch let me know. I live in Va Beach and have a condo with an extra bedroom I'm willing to lend out (for free) to anyone who is short on cash and needs to interview. It's about a 20-25min drive from here to EVMS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an interview invite via email. God is great! I cant believe I have gotten 3 interviews thus far. Congrats to all those with interviews already and good luck to everyone else who are still anxiously waiting
 
OOS Interview yay! It's nice not hearing things for a while and getting some good news. but there were only 2 dates left in september - the 23rd and the 30th! Wednesdays are so hard to miss school esp with trying to keep grades up this semester, ah well I'm pretty happy 🙂
 
Just dropping some knowledge on here:

They aren't so strict on the 30-day deadline ("but its in your best interest")

They accept more than 3 LORs (for those of us who don't have a prehealth committee and gotta send individual letters)

The photos can be the same one; doesn't have to be on photo paper; they even accept black and white
 
For those of you that have received secondaries, how long did it take after you were verified? Were any OOS screened out before they got the secondary? What were your stats?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah, just another thing for me to compulsively check, haha

hahah no joke i have all of my status pages bookmarked and i sort of wish they didnt have status pages so i know that they would have to contact me to tell me changes and not just assume i check the status page...
 
I am interviewing on September 18th...i think i might have to end up dropping one of my classes because i am starting to realize i will miss a lot of fridays...(and thursdays)
 
September 30th for me. Anyone else have that date too? I would have gone earlier but it is all booked with DO schools.
 
Does anyone know how EVMS feels about the "in the area" letters and whether they would like to interview me. I heard that these types of letters are frowned upon....
 
Last edited:
Sorry to ask again, but does anybody know how this school views the "in the area" email/phone call. I can't find anything on their website/on last year's post that says don't ask about it.....I am very interested in this school!
 
Sorry to ask again, but does anybody know how this school views the "in the area" email/phone call. I can't find anything on their website/on last year's post that says don't ask about it.....I am very interested in this school!

First, nobody here knows the answer to this question.

Personally, I would give it a shot. However, it is only August, so it seems a tad presumptuous or pushy for this tactic this early in the cycle, but what is the worst thing they will tell you? No?

Furthermore, my guess is that very few schools accommodate these requests.
 
First, nobody here knows the answer to this question.

Personally, I would give it a shot. However, it is only August, so it seems a tad presumptuous or pushy for this tactic this early in the cycle, but what is the worst thing they will tell you? No?

Furthermore, my guess is that very few schools accommodate these requests.

Yea I think I might give them an anonymous call and see what they say. You are right, I don't want to come of as though I'm entitled to an interview. I really like this school so I don't want to ruin my chances. I just don't have that much money to fly too many times.... 🙁
 
Yea I think I might give them an anonymous call and see what they say. You are right, I don't want to come of as though I'm entitled to an interview. I really like this school so I don't want to ruin my chances. I just don't have that much money to fly too many times.... 🙁

i would call anonymously (at first). tell them money's tight, and ask if they take into consideration when you'll be in the area.

adcom's are people too, and this process is PRICEY and im sure they empathize
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to ask again, but does anybody know how this school views the "in the area" email/phone call. I can't find anything on their website/on last year's post that says don't ask about it.....I am very interested in this school!

I actually just had to reschedule with them because I got an interview with VCU and VCU couldnt schedule me for a date around my EVMS interview so I had to change EVMS to meet VCU. They were totally cool about it on the phone and totally understood. They just want to know ASAP if you need to change it because they want to give your old spot to someone else.

**I was already scheduled for an interview with them though so I guess it is a bit different...I would still call, they are quite accommodating...
 
**I was already scheduled for an interview with them though so I guess it is a bit different...I would still call, they are quite accommodating...

Thanks for the input, but that's the key difference. You were offered both interviews...Congrats by the way
 
Hey guys OOS invite here, will be interviewing relatively soon.

This school seems to conduct somewhat stressful interviews--panel-style, ethical ?'s, etc. Any med students who can comment on this? (Or whom I can PM?)

Thanks!!
 
Hey guys OOS invite here, will be interviewing relatively soon.

This school seems to conduct somewhat stressful interviews--panel-style, ethical ?'s, etc. Any med students who can comment on this? (Or whom I can PM?)

Thanks!!

I actually spoke with a current evms student a few days ago and one thing he mentioned was that they definitely asked a lot of ethical questions at his interview so it seems like you're right about that. I didn't ask if it was panel-style or individual though...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.