2009-2010 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds verrrrry promising. It seems they sent a bunch of waitlist emails on the 14th. If you haven't gotten anything, they may be waiting for someone to drop a spot so they can give it to you. :xf: :luck:

I would love to think that lol but i emailed the adcom office and was told that they would be finishing up reviews of all applications probably BY the end of this coming week.... but have you (or anyone) heard of that happening to somebody?? where they withhold letting you know about the status of your application because they are wanting to just offer you an acceptance/admission spot instead...?

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to think that lol but i emailed the adcom office and was told that they would be finishing up reviews of all applications probably BY the end of this coming week.... but have you (or anyone) heard of that happening to somebody?? where they withhold letting you know about the status of your application because they are wanting to just offer you an acceptance/admission spot instead...?

From earlier posts, it looks like that might've happened to sistadoc.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds verrrrry promising. It seems they sent a bunch of waitlist emails on the 14th. If you haven't gotten anything, they may be waiting for someone to drop a spot so they can give it to you. :xf: :luck:
Lol. As much as I would LOVE to believe this was true, IDK if it is.. because It's different for me to have received an out-of-committee email/letter and be waiting then to not have heard ANYTHING at all, you know?? It's been over a month since I interviewed and still have gotten NOTHING... so it makes me kinda nervous...

So did everyone who has received an email/letter concerning being (super or regular) waitlisted (or even being accepted), receive an out-of-committee email/letter first?

Lol. As much as I would LOVE to believe this was true, IDK if it is.. because It's different for me to have received an out-of-committee email/letter and be waiting then to not have heard ANYTHING at all, you know?? It's been over a month since I interviewed and still have gotten NOTHING... so it makes me kinda nervous...

So did everyone who has received an email/letter concerning being (super or regular) waitlisted (or even being accepted), receive an out-of-committee email/letter first?

sistadoc didn't, which is why I said that. She interviewed in February and got accepted in April with no OOC email. But you're right; maybe they haven't reviewed you yet.

To answer your question, I got the OOC email 2 hours before my waitlist letter.

Does this mean that they will finish reviewing people who interviewed on the last interview days? Or, does this mean that they will finish reviewing everyone (waitlisted people included)?

Does this mean that they will finish reviewing people who interviewed on the last interview days? Or, does this mean that they will finish reviewing everyone (waitlisted people included)?

are u waitlisted?? when was YOUR interview date??

I believe she meant that they are going to finish reviewing applications, for the first time around. (AKA: I think the people who havent received an Out-of-committee email/letter yet). I called her today, and she said that they still have a lot of ppl holding 2 or more spots, so she cant tell me anything right now... and they're just playing a waiting game right now... ::sigh::

sistadoc didn't, which is why I said that. She interviewed in February and got accepted in April with no OOC email. But you're right; maybe they haven't reviewed you yet.

To answer your question, I got the OOC email 2 hours before my waitlist letter.

2 hours??! Seriously.... lol ok THAT is a little weird.. but i called her (Ms. Walk) today and she told me that she still cant tell me anything because theyre waiting on ppl with multiple acceptances to drop some and MAKE A CHOICE! hopefully that will be soon.... :xf:

2 hours??! Seriously.... lol ok THAT is a little weird.. but i called her (Ms. Walk) today and she told me that she still cant tell me anything because theyre waiting on ppl with multiple acceptances to drop some and MAKE A CHOICE! hopefully that will be soon.... :xf:

This is ridiculous...I thought the deadline for selecting only one school was May 15. Also, If you got accepted off a waitlist after May 15 and now hold two or more acceptances, didn't you have enough time to think about what school you really wanted to go to before May 15??? This is agonizing and frustrating...

This is ridiculous...I thought the deadline for selecting only one school was May 15. Also, If you got accepted off a waitlist after May 15 and now hold two or more acceptances, didn't you have enough time to think about what school you really wanted to go to before May 15??? This is agonizing and frustrating...

I guess people can afford to lose the money, and when it comes to a big decision such as where to spend your time for the next four years, sometimes it's a drop in the bucket. With getting accepted after May 15, a lot of people hope to get off a waitlist but don't necessarily expect to get off a waitlist, and as a result don't necessarily obsess and daydream and think about that which has not happened. Money and financial aid could be playing a role in holding their new acceptance(s). Some people may have gotten multiple offers after May 15th and not had to pay yet. Etc, etc.

There are a lot of factors at play. I know it's frustrating, but "it is what it is." As annoying as that phrase is to me, it's true. What can we do but wait?

Since May 15th fell on a Saturday this year, I do know of some applicants who extended their decision making into that Monday (a couple of people that I know personally just made decisions last Friday). For the most part, I believe the hold-up with the waitlist movement lies with those applicants accepted to Howard earlier on who chose not to give up their seat while holding out for other acceptances that they might have just received this month (I could be wrong though).

Anyway, good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those that I will be seeing in July!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since May 15th fell on a Saturday this year, I do know of some applicants who extended their decision making into that Monday (a couple of people that I know personally just made decisions last Friday). For the most part, I believe the hold-up with the waitlist movement lies with those applicants accepted to Howard earlier on who chose not to give up their seat while holding out for other acceptances that they might have just received this month (I could be wrong though).

Anyway, good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those that I will be seeing in July!
wait... so people were allowed to wait till Friday to make their decision?? .. and your friends who didnt make their decision till recently, were they deciding to go (or not to go) to Howard??

I withdrew my acceptance via email about a week ago, it seems like they just saw it. I 100% understand how frustrating the waiting is, but they'll eventually get to you if it's meant to be =]

wait... so people were allowed to wait till Friday to make their decision?? .. and your friends who didnt make their decision till recently, were they deciding to go (or not to go) to Howard??
No one was "allowed" to wait past the deadline. However, if someone who was accepted to Howard early on receives an acceptance from another school within the time frame of the May 15th decision day, then it's not unlikely that they may need additional time to make a decision. Unlike someone who had multiple acceptances early on in the application season (these people should not have needed additional time to reach a decision). To my understanding, Howard (as well as other schools) do stay on top of people who may be holding on to multiple acceptances (whether recently or not) so that the class can be filled in a timely fashion.

It would make sense that the waitlist would not see much movement until a couple of weeks after the May 15th deadline, seeing as how the committee has to go back and review applicants and adjust for those withdrawing their seats at this time.

A couple of people withdrew and some accepted.

With all the expected movement there is really no way to gauge accurately what's going to happen. If you would like, you can look at the HUCM 2014 facebook group to see how many have been accepted thus far (keep in mind some people from other HUCM classes are in this group and I think there may be some people in the group who might be withdrawing or have withdrawn already.

I know this is a tough time for people on the wait list, but don't worry yourself silly about something that is out of your hands.

I withdrew my acceptance via email about a week ago, it seems like they just saw it. I 100% understand how frustrating the waiting is, but they'll eventually get to you if it's meant to be =]
what do you mean, it seems like they just saw it? They prolly just sent you the confirmation email, huh?

No one was "allowed" to wait past the deadline. However, if someone who was accepted to Howard early on receives an acceptance from another school within the time frame of the May 15th decision day, then it's not unlikely that they may need additional time to make a decision. Unlike someone who had multiple acceptances early on in the application season (these people should not have needed additional time to reach a decision). To my understanding, Howard (as well as other schools) do stay on top of people who may be holding on to multiple acceptances (whether recently or not) so that the class can be filled in a timely fashion.

It would make sense that the waitlist would not see much movement until a couple of weeks after the May 15th deadline, seeing as how the committee has to go back and review applicants and adjust for those withdrawing their seats at this time.

A couple of people withdrew and some accepted.

With all the expected movement there is really no way to gauge accurately what's going to happen. If you would like, you can look at the HUCM 2014 facebook group to see how many have been accepted thus far (keep in mind some people from other HUCM classes are in this group and I think there may be some people in the group who might be withdrawing or have withdrawn already.

I know this is a tough time for people on the wait list, but don't worry yourself silly about something that is out of your hands.

Lol, easier said than done! :)

what do you mean, it seems like they just saw it? They prolly just sent you the confirmation email, huh?

They sent me an email about multiple acceptances a week after I withdrew my acceptance. Apparently they didn't see my withdrawal email until I mentioned it in my response. The admissions office might be understaff, but they do stay on top of people with multiple acceptances.

SoOoOooo... WHO ELSE is waiting to hear back still?? / who has let go their acceptance?

:xf:

SoOoOooo... WHO ELSE is waiting to hear back still?? / who has let go their acceptance?

:xf:

I am, but to some degree I have lost hope. I must admit, I read through almost all 28/27 pages of this thread. I can only imagine how many students have been placed on this Super Alternate list and by just sheer statistics can say: it's unlikely.

The majority of students who apply to Howard, due to the school's lower standards than most medical schools, will accept their acceptance. Hence forth, making it unlikely that even 1/4th the spaces will open up. My advice to those in my situation is to look towards alternative arrangements, because you can have hope, but also realism! :luck:

I am, but to some degree I have lost hope. I must admit, I read through almost all 28/27 pages of this thread. I can only imagine how many students have been placed on this Super Alternate list and by just sheer statistics can say: it's unlikely.

The majority of students who apply to Howard, due to the school's lower standards than most medical schools, will accept their acceptance. Hence forth, making it unlikely that even 1/4th the spaces will open up. My advice to those in my situation is to look towards alternative arrangements, because you can have hope, but also realism! :luck:
were u a super alternate too?? {{Cuz if you were, i definitely wouldnt give up hope... just pray!}}

were u a super alternate too?? {{Cuz if you were, i definitely wouldnt give up hope... just pray!}}

Hence, my response to your original question. Yes, I am on the super alternate list. I will not be praying, because I am an atheist!

No, i actually havent heard anything back yet... at all. I asked Ms. Walk if my app has gone to committee yet and she said that they are still working on it.... sigh...

Just read Ms. Walk's email. Chances look slim, but there's still a chance and I welcome it! Good luck to all of us. We will all end up where we are supposed to be when we are supposed to be there. Trust. :luck:

Just read Ms. Walk's email. Chances look slim, but there's still a chance and I welcome it! Good luck to all of us. We will all end up where we are supposed to be when we are supposed to be there. Trust. :luck:

What did Ms.Walk's email say? Thanks

That they're not seeing as much movement as they have in the past (last year they pulled 45 students from the list, whereas they've had no movement in the past 7 days). They only expect to pull 2 people max from the list every week, and will make every effort to contact by email/phone.

Ms. Walk will be on vacation but movement will still happen without her.

I'm still holding out for all of my waitlists, and there's a school that I have heard NO word from, so I'll keep hope alive. If it doesn't pan out, I'll take the year off to take more classes, take the MCAT again, look into new volunteer experiences, and re-apply for 2016. I'll apply MUCH earlier (was verified in November) and leave no room for error. One more time and that's IT!!!

I'm still holding out for all of my waitlists, and there's a school that I have heard NO word from, so I'll keep hope alive. If it doesn't pan out, I'll take the year off to take more classes, take the MCAT again, look into new volunteer experiences, and re-apply for 2016. I'll apply MUCH earlier (was verified in November) and leave no room for error. One more time and that's IT!!!

What happened to 2015??

What happened to 2015??

I want to have a solid year of full-time grades on my transcript to boost my AMCAS GPA. If I apply now and take those courses, I may be weeded out at schools that will think I haven't done anything to improve my application, even though I will be in the process of taking courses. Plus, I'd have to apply right now and what have I done since this application cycle started? Not much to warrant a second shot. I'm fine with taking the extra time off. I rushed through this process 100% and even though I've been out of school for a considerable amount of time, I figure two more years won't hurt. There are people starting medical school in their 40s.

I want to have a solid year of full-time grades on my transcript to boost my AMCAS GPA. If I apply now and take those courses, I may be weeded out at schools that will think I haven't done anything to improve my application, even though I will be in the process of taking courses. Plus, I'd have to apply right now and what have I done since this application cycle started? Not much to warrant a second shot. I'm fine with taking the extra time off. I rushed through this process 100% and even though I've been out of school for a considerable amount of time, I figure two more years won't hurt. There are people starting medical school in their 40s.

Yea... you're very right actually.... well i wish you the best of luck with everything! :)

This has been a very quiet thread. Obviously, there isn't much to report seeing as HUCM hasn't seen much movement. I'm wondering how many SDNers are actually on the super alternate list? Maybe we can start a list of those who have been keeping the faith and still hope for a breakthrough... with one month to go. Supposedly, this year has shown an opposite trend from the previous years. However, I still remain hopeful as 5 students were accepted off last year's waitlist a week before classes began.

Anyway, I just wanted to gauge where the list stands from our small sample size.

Super alternate
NoCrystalStair Int:3/9 WL: 4/27

Status
Not open for further replies.