2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some locations...

Elmsford-5 minute drive
Tarrytown-10 minute drive
Valhalla near the train station-5 minute drive
White plains-15 minute drive

I also know some people who live in NYC but that commute is kind of harsh...

Members don't see this ad.

so for those of us that still haven't heard i just called and the person on the line let me know that they are still working on decisions and we won't hear until after the 15th which is interesting since earlier this week i was told i would hear before the 15th ...
o well :(

I was sent an e-mail where NYMC asked me if I would like to be placed on the wait list. They asked me to reply back with my response and to include my phone number. I replied back to the email stating that i would like to be placed on the wait list. however, they never sent me a confirmation that I have been
placed on the wait list. Has anyone else replied to this email with no response?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are some locations...

Elmsford-5 minute drive
Tarrytown-10 minute drive
Valhalla near the train station-5 minute drive
White plains-15 minute drive

I also know some people who live in NYC but that commute is kind of harsh...

Don't forget Pleasantville, a few miles away and a college town of Pace University. Nice Starbucks, too. Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow are pretty much the same area. They're on the Hudson River.

Basically it's City of White Plains or any hamlet/village within the towns of Greenburgh (Elmsford, Tarrytown, etc.) or Mt. Pleasant (Valhalla, Sleepy Hollow, Pleasantville, etc.)

I was sent an e-mail where NYMC asked me if I would like to be placed on the wait list. They asked me to reply back with my response and to include my phone number. I replied back to the email stating that i would like to be placed on the wait list. however, they never sent me a confirmation that I have been
placed on the wait list. Has anyone else replied to this email with no response?

i never got a response either... but i'm sure its fine

Ok so I visited the campus a few days ago, and I know this is probably gonna sound crazy - but doesn't it kind of remind you of shutter island (like in the movie)? Idk, i just got this vibe, and it looks like it too! What do you guys think??
:scared:

Ok so I visited the campus a few days ago, and I know this is probably gonna sound crazy - but doesn't it kind of remind you of shutter island (like in the movie)? Idk, i just got this vibe, and it looks like it too! What do you guys think??

Haven't seen the movie - you thought it was like a psych institution?

Actually, were you near the School of Health Sciences & Practice building? That one DID actually used to be a psych institution back in the day. It was (believe it or not) converted into a student dorm in the 70's (before the apartments were built), and then the graduate school opened there in 1982.

The tallest building on campus (Munger Pavilion) was a main building of Grasslands Hospital, built around World War I. And the administration building (Sunshine Cottage) used to be a children's hospital.

So if you're noticing early 20th century medical architecture - that's why.

For people that go to NYMC now. What would you recommend cell phone wise? I am about to get a new phone, most likely a black berry with Verizon or iphone with AT&T. I know some schools require certain phones so you can link up to their hospital and such. I am not sure if NYMC has anything like that going on? Also, how is the service? Any help would be great. Thanks.

For people that go to NYMC now. What would you recommend cell phone wise? I am about to get a new phone, most likely a black berry with Verizon or iphone with AT&T. I know some schools require certain phones so you can link up to their hospital and such. I am not sure if NYMC has anything like that going on? Also, how is the service? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Nope, no phone requirement for 1st or 2nd year. I can't comment on 3rd/4th years, but I'd wait until then to buy anything specific. For now just get whatever phone you'd like :)

Hi, have a question for those who are knowledgeable about off campus apartments. I'm planning on bringing my small dog with me but I've been searching on craigslist and the rent for most places that do allow pets are soo pricey (~1000-1200 for a 1 bedroom/bath)! Almost as bad as renting in Manhattan...Does the school maintain a list of students looking for roomies and their lifestyle preferences?

Thanks for your help. I liked the area and am originally from the 5 boros of NYC but find it shocking that housing up there shouldn't be more reasonable/affordable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, have a question for those who are knowledgeable about off campus apartments. I'm planning on bringing my small dog with me but I've been searching on craigslist and the rent for most places that do allow pets are soo pricey (~1000-1200 for a 1 bedroom/bath)! Almost as bad as renting in Manhattan...Does the school maintain a list of students looking for roomies and their lifestyle preferences?

Thanks for your help. I liked the area and am originally from the 5 boros of NYC but find it shocking that housing up there shouldn't be more reasonable/affordable.

Westchester is just as expensive, if not more so, than NYC. It's one of the wealthiest counties in the nation. The off-campus budget provides $1000/month for rent because that's about what it costs.

You should contact NYMC's housing department. I think they may provide some help in finding roommates. It's often accomplished via advertising on the listserv (only from a NYMC email address).

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of NYMC's clinical sites for years 3 and 4? Or a link to a webpage with the list? I've been searching on NYMC's site, SDN and Googling and can't find it.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of NYMC's clinical sites for years 3 and 4? Or a link to a webpage with the list? I've been searching on NYMC's site, SDN and Googling and can't find it.

I could break it down by each specialty but it'll take too long..here it is though

WMC
Norwalk Hospital (CT)
Greenwich Hospital (CT)
Montefiore North (Bronx)
Metropolitan (Manhattan)
St. Vincents Bridgeport (CT)
Richmond University Hospital (Staten Island)
VA Montrose (central Westchester)

And then for Family medicine you can do NYC, WMC or Ulster county but I'm not sure how that is set up. Also possible major additions include Hackensack University Medical Center

Just to emphasize something that has remained unclear, even though it has been stated before, all 2nd years who wanted mostly NYC rotations got what they wanted, and most only have to do at most 1 or 2 rotations out of the 7 elsewhere (and usually its Peds at WMC which is great).

I could break it down by each specialty but it'll take too long..here it is though

WMC
Norwalk Hospital (CT)
Greenwich Hospital (CT)
Montefiore North (Bronx)
Metropolitan (Manhattan)
St. Vincents Bridgeport (CT)
Richmond University Hospital (Staten Island)
VA Montrose (central Westchester)

And then for Family medicine you can do NYC, WMC or Ulster county but I'm not sure how that is set up. Also possible major additions include Hackensack University Medical Center

Just to emphasize something that has remained unclear, even though it has been stated before, all 2nd years who wanted mostly NYC rotations got what they wanted, and most only have to do at most 1 or 2 rotations out of the 7 elsewhere (and usually its Peds at WMC which is great).

Ah, thank you!

They need to update their website. I found this:

Academic Medical Centers
Westchester Medical Center
University Hospitals
Danbury Hospital
Metropolitan Hospital Center
Specialty Hospitals
The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary
Affiliated Hospitals
Benedictine Hospital
Calvary Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital, Suffern
Greenwich Hospital
Kingston Hospital
Montefiore Medical Center, North Division
Mount Vernon Hospital
Northern Westchester Hospital Center
Norwalk Hospital
Phelps Memorial Hospital Center
Richmond University Medical Center
Saint Joseph's Medical Center, Yonkers
Saint Vincent's Medical Center, Bridgeport
Sound Shore Medical Center of Westchester
Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center
VA Hudson Valley Health Care System
Affiliated Ambulatory Care Programs
Center for Comprehensive Health Practice
http://www.nymc.edu/AboutNYMC/AffiliatedHospitalsAndOrganizations/AmbulatoryCarePrograms.htmlWestchester Institute for Human Development

Oh wow, so I got in here last year and I just wanted to say, the website looks awesome! It was so strange last year. Good job NYMC on updating that.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in!

The website is correct. Affiliated organizations are more expansive than just third year medical students. It includes electives, fourth year rotations, residencies/fellowships as well as faculty appointments.

Remember, med school is "undergraduate medical education". There are also GME programs.

This year, some students began doing surgery at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center. Not sure if it's a formal arrangement with the hospital or just with the surgeons (in general, most physicians are not hospital employees).

Hackensack University Medical Center may be an addition because they're affiliated with Touro. Whether or not we get them is not set in stone.

The addition that IS occurring is Phelps Memorial Hospital Center (Sleepy Hollow). NYMC affiliated with them this year, and according to the press release there will be med student rotations as well as residency programs in medicine, peds, and OB/GYN.

Danbury Hospital is on the way out (got paid off by Caribbean schools, I heard) but not until medical students and residents finish their programs. So they're still on the list.

So, again, the website is correct.

Last edited:
The website is correct. Affiliated organizations are more expansive than just third year medical students. It includes electives, fourth year rotations, residencies/fellowships as well as faculty appointments.

Remember, med school is "undergraduate medical education". There are also GME programs.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Are there any health forms, etc. that we need to complete if we plan to matriculate to NYMC???

I know NYMC doesn't require a background check, but I just wanted to see if anyone had heard anything about health/immunization forms that we may have to complete before orientation??

Called this morning, the lady asked for my name and checked my status... She said I will be receiving something in the mail within the next few days... Should I safely assume that it's a rejection?
Interviewed 3/18 and heard nothing yet btw... Am I the only one?

Not necessarily - I got my waitlist letter via mail!

Called this morning, the lady asked for my name and checked my status... She said I will be receiving something in the mail within the next few days... Should I safely assume that it's a rejection?

Before they were sending the waitlist by mail, but I think they changed to email. Sounds like it might be a rejection :( But at least if it's a waitlist you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Can someone provide links to on campus housing options- how do incoming students pick roommates/sign up for housing etc- is it late to be doing this? I was accepted a week ago and im trying to get this sorted out before traveling for a while.

Are there any health forms, etc. that we need to complete if we plan to matriculate to NYMC???

I know NYMC doesn't require a background check, but I just wanted to see if anyone had heard anything about health/immunization forms that we may have to complete before orientation??

Yeah you need forms. They come out June sometime, I got them earlier because I requested them. So if you want a copy to get a head start on the 5000 titers then pm me with you email! :)

Just got accepted this morning! But I think I will be withdrawing....good luck to all of you on waitlist....hang in there!!!

Just got accepted this morning! But I think I will be withdrawing....good luck to all of you on waitlist....hang in there!!!

i'm glad there is movement in the waiting list. i was beginning to think that 5/15 deadline was just a joke.:p

interviewed 2/3, waitlisted 4/7, accepted yesterday.

so waitlist movement has started.

Hey guys, I just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to those waiting.

I also withdrew my acceptance a few days ago...good luck to everyone waiting!

Congratulations on the acceptance gth796g! I'm also waitlisted at NYMC so I was wondering how they contacted you when you got the acceptance and if you did anything special to get off of the waitlist ( i.e. LOI/ routinely calling admissions). Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Congrats again! 15 k less in loans sounds awesome!

Is this 15K/yr or 15K one time? Either way, a little extra help would be great.

What exactly does "renewable" mean? Do we need to maintain our low-income status? Under what circumstances would they not renew the scholarship, except if we don't do well academically obviously?

i think its just academically and thats it - at least thats what it says in the e-mail. I will know more once I get the formal letter next week

Thanks for the info. Also, does anyone know what the summer schedule is like for NYMC students? At another school that I'm considering, M2 and M3 students also have classes during a summer semester for which they pay additional tuition. Does NYMC have this as well?

Just withdrew from the waitlist. One less person vying for a spot. Good luck!

Congratulations on the acceptance gth796g! I'm also waitlisted at NYMC so I was wondering how they contacted you when you got the acceptance and if you did anything special to get off of the waitlist ( i.e. LOI/ routinely calling admissions). Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Thanks. I was contacted by email for the acceptance. I did send a LOI right after I was waitlisted. I also tried calling the admissions office, but it is impossible to get a hold of anyone besides the administrative assistant who answers the phones. Good luck!

Hey everyone, just released my acceptance to here. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.