2009-2010 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh...i thought that the next message was going to be someone with acceptance. rejection, or waitlist. Instead I find a "Bump" :smack:

Kiddin on the Bump of course :D. I hope you find a place to stay Spoonbig21. Maybe split the hotel price 50/50 with someone interviewing?

Not a bad idea! Sorry about the lack of an acceptance, rejection or waitlist :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does this school screen secondaries? I submitted like... weeks ago, got all my other secondaries/rejection-before-secondary from the other schools I applied to, but I still did not get a request for a secondary. @@"

So, anyone interviewing this Friday want to go to Poor Richard's with me afterwards? It's less than a mile away ^_^

Members don't see this ad :)
So, anyone interviewing this Friday want to go to Poor Richard's with me afterwards? It's less than a mile away ^_^

Haha, I'd definitely be down. Kinda curious to see what the nightlife is like in Scranton. And don't worry! I'm sure you'll do fine.

Does anyone know what the general time from status "Application Sent to Screeners for Evaluation" to an invitation invite/decline?

Congrats to all those who got acceptances!

FYI, Poor Richard's is in a bowling alley behind Steamtown Mall. It's on the same street as TCMC (Washington Avenue).

It's not a place a ton of med students hang out, but if you are a die-hard office fan it's definitely worth the short drive. Also in the shopping center next door from the bowling alley is Alfredo's Pizza Cafe, which also got an office mention. I can kind of point out every office mention in Scranton except Carbondale, which is where the dental hygienist lady Dwight was with in the wedding was from... I know it's a suburb of Scranton somewhere but I haven't gone there yet.

Also, the conference room you all will be in between interviews and activities looks out to the PA/Penn paper building shown in the credits... so you can get in the mood and hum the office theme all the way to your interview if you fancy.:laugh:

Does anyone know which day the committee is meeting this week to decide on acceptances? I would like to try to send positive mental vibes on that day, if possible.

Can you just copy and paste your essays into the Commonwealth Secondary from Word or do you have to type it all out??? Also how long after you submitted your secondary have you heard about interviews.. I'm submitting mine in the next couple of days and just wanted to get an idea how long I'll be waiting??

Can you just copy and paste your essays into the Commonwealth Secondary from Word or do you have to type it all out??? Also how long after you submitted your secondary have you heard about interviews.. I'm submitting mine in the next couple of days and just wanted to get an idea how long I'll be waiting??
Yeah, you can copy and paste the essays for TCMC. After you submit your secondary it takes about a week to become "complete" status for review/screeners. But, I don't know how long it takes them to make a decision on an interview invite. As far as I know, over a week.

Does anyone know which day the committee is meeting this week to decide on acceptances? I would like to try to send positive mental vibes on that day, if possible.

Yup, they met this past week, but they told our group that they didn't quite get to everyone from that time-frame, so don't be worried if you don't hear anything immediately.

I just have to say that I really really liked this school. I had the worst time ever getting there, but the actual interview day was great.
The airline made me check my carry-on because they overbooked and there was not enough room inside for all the carry-ons. Then they LOST MY BAG. I got in at 11pm going...OH NO. So I had to go shopping at 10am (because nothing opened earlier) to try to find a suit, socks, shoes, UNDERWEAR, make-up and hair stuff to make it to the noon interview day. Needless to say, I was a wreck up until I was actually clothed and there (and I managed to show up on time but still be "late" because they thought everyone was already there and started early!).

sassilysweet, that really sucks. How much did you end up spending that morning?
Close to $300. I didn't have time to go to a lot of stores, but luckily I found things that worked at the Gap. The black pants I will definitely wear again, $50. The only shirt ($50) that fit under the only black jacket I found ($98) is kind of ugly. I left the tags on the jacket though and am going to try to return it tomorrow, hehe.
Another $40-50 on shoes that I didn't need but will wear again, plus the other necessaries. It adds up. I am going to try to bully the airlin into either paying for it all or giving me a free flight voucher.

Waitlisted today...thought interview went well, but I guess you can never really tell. Hopefully I'll get in later on

OOS, interviewed on 10/16

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, they met this past week, but they told our group that they didn't quite get to everyone from that time-frame, so don't be worried if you don't hear anything immediately.

I just have to say that I really really liked this school. I had the worst time ever getting there, but the actual interview day was great.
The airline made me check my carry-on because they overbooked and there was not enough room inside for all the carry-ons. Then they LOST MY BAG. I got in at 11pm going...OH NO. So I had to go shopping at 10am (because nothing opened earlier) to try to find a suit, socks, shoes, UNDERWEAR, make-up and hair stuff to make it to the noon interview day. Needless to say, I was a wreck up until I was actually clothed and there (and I managed to show up on time but still be "late" because they thought everyone was already there and started early!).

One of my friends in the Charter Class at TCMC got in wearing jeans and a t-shirt on his interview day thanks to a similar situation... I can't even imagine how his interview went but apparently it went well enough.

Just interviewed here last week and for a new school, they really have their **** together. I got a cozy feeling with the staff and students and even the building. I didn't really explore scranton but my home is two hours away so not too bad actually. They seem to have a lot of kids from PA; I'm OOS and slightly worried on my chances, they don't prefer PA residents do they? I mean they aren't exactly a state school and all...

Just interviewed here last week and for a new school, they really have their **** together. I got a cozy feeling with the staff and students and even the building. I didn't really explore scranton but my home is two hours away so not too bad actually. They seem to have a lot of kids from PA; I'm OOS and slightly worried on my chances, they don't prefer PA residents do they? I mean they aren't exactly a state school and all...

But remember that they said they are trying to keep the class percentages at 70% in state, 30% OOS. As long as you convinced them that you were planning on staying in the area it should be fine. I think (hope) that as long as us OOSers got interviews they are not going to consider it much further ;)

Well, the whole point of building a new medical school in PA is to keep physicians in the state - PCP mainly. The idea is: PA residents know what PA is/offers (meaning, PA residents understand rural PA is not an attractive/not much to offer place to live if you don't have family/friends in the area).

I think one of the statistics they (TCMC) states is the retention of physicians in the area physicians do their residency (it's over 60% - over 60% of physicians stay in the area they do their residency). So, most IS students want to stay in PA after medical schools/residency, which is a difficult promise for OOS students to make. Sassilysweet has the right idea: make TCMC aware that you wish to stay in the state to start your career. I feel TCMC may keep the percent of OOS locked until they start to see the retention rates of OOS students, but who knows.

What's the best way to let the school know that, if accepted, you would be more than willing to stay in the area? I absolutely loved this school and would stay but don't want to seem like I'm trying to tell them what they want to hear. I've already interviewed and said I would like to live in a close knit town. Any ideas?

Does anyone know what the general time from status "Application Sent to Screeners for Evaluation" to an invitation invite/decline?

Congrats to all those who got acceptances!

for what its worth, mine was ~5 days..not very high stats, OOS

I'm kind of worried about interviewing here though..everything I've read about the school makes it seem like a great place to study, and I absolutely love the fact that the dean keeps a blog, but I'm a city kid (though I don't have hesitations about rural medicine, I just don't have that much experience with it either)

Waitlisted today...thought interview went well, but I guess you can never really tell. Hopefully I'll get in later on

OOS, interviewed on 10/16

:( Well - better than getting rejected! Hopefully you will get in off the waitlist! glad to hear the interview went well. :xf:

how long does it typically take from the time of submitting your secondary (considering my lors were already there) to being marked as complete....i know i am quite late but i was wondering how much time i should give them before i call to see if i'm complete

thanks!

for what its worth, mine was ~5 days..not very high stats, OOS

I'm kind of worried about interviewing here though..everything I've read about the school makes it seem like a great place to study, and I absolutely love the fact that the dean keeps a blog, but I'm a city kid (though I don't have hesitations about rural medicine, I just don't have that much experience with it either)

We are really not so much "rural" although that is available pretty close by. We aren't New York or Philly but there are a lot of small & medium towns in this country-- we are the rule not the exception! Scranton is medium sized. But not really rural, don't worry!

Well, the whole point of building a new medical school in PA is to keep physicians in the state - PCP mainly. The idea is: PA residents know what PA is/offers (meaning, PA residents understand rural PA is not an attractive/not much to offer place to live if you don't have family/friends in the area).

I think one of the statistics they (TCMC) states is the retention of physicians in the area physicians do their residency (it's over 60% - over 60% of physicians stay in the area they do their residency). So, most IS students want to stay in PA after medical schools/residency, which is a difficult promise for OOS students to make. Sassilysweet has the right idea: make TCMC aware that you wish to stay in the state to start your career. I feel TCMC may keep the percent of OOS locked until they start to see the retention rates of OOS students, but who knows.

Hey congrats on your interview invite! I was really hoping to hear back from here soon. I was wondering if you knew what day your application was sent to the screeners. Your MD apps page said that you were complete on 10/22/09...but I am wondering if there was a delay between that date and the date they posted you as having been sent to screeners?

Can someone who is from the area or going to TCMC help me out with some travel issues?
1. where is the best place to stay
2. i need to get from scranton to princeton, NJ ... and i'm not renting a car. whats the best way to get there? is there an amtrack stop?
3. is there a bus system to get from a hotel to the school or should i just take a taxi?

PM me

Can someone who is from the area or going to TCMC help me out with some travel issues?
1. where is the best place to stay
2. i need to get from scranton to princeton, NJ ... and i'm not renting a car. whats the best way to get there? is there an amtrack stop?
3. is there a bus system to get from a hotel to the school or should i just take a taxi?

PM me

I can help with part of this-- the Radisson has a TCMC rate & is walking distance to the school. There is no Amtrack stop you probably need a bus from Princeton to Scranton (both MARTZ & Greyhound come here). Good Luck, Scranton is a very walkable city and most things are close.

We are really not so much "rural" although that is available pretty close by. We aren't New York or Philly but there are a lot of small & medium towns in this country-- we are the rule not the exception! Scranton is medium sized. But not really rural, don't worry!

Thanks for pointing that out! I just looked up some more information about Scranton, I didn't realize that its a fair-sized city, roughly the same size as my hometown :)

I'm really excited about interviewing here, though its scheduled all the way in January.

Do you think there is any chance to get an earlier one by calling (maybe scoop the seats of people that may have withdrawn)?

Interview invite today :D
Earliest dates available were in Feb. March dates available as well...

:love:TCMC, I <3 you and am waiting ever so patiently to hear back...it was the 2 mark on Friday...I guess I will wait another 2...le sigh

:love:TCMC, I <3 you and am waiting ever so patiently to hear back...it was the 2 mark on Friday...I guess I will wait another 2...le sigh

You and I both! I loved this school. I would be thrilled to attend! Anyone actually get news this past week?!

Congrats! Yeah, I tried to pick the earliest interview available (I did not want to be interviewing in March - decision in April does not sound like fun)

Hey! Congrats on the interview! Do you know when your application was sent to the screeners?

So interview tomorrow. What's the deal with the parking? Is street parking hard to get? There is a reference to a municipal garage in the email... how far is this and how much does it cost?

Sorry if this has been asked already.

NO PROBLEM parking. There is plenty of street parking w/ meters up to 10 hours (quarters only = 30 minutes). The day runs from 12:00PM - 5:30PM. There's also some garage, but I'm not sure what the story is with that.

NO PROBLEM parking. There is plenty of street parking w/ meters up to 10 hours (quarters only = 30 minutes). The day runs from 12:00PM - 5:30PM. There's also some garage, but I'm not sure what the story is with that.

Thank you!

So interview tomorrow. What's the deal with the parking? Is street parking hard to get? There is a reference to a municipal garage in the email... how far is this and how much does it cost?

Sorry if this has been asked already.
Good luck!

If you're inept at parallel parking (like me) the municipal garage is 2 blocks down from TCMC's location at Lackawanna College on North Washington street.

Oh... they give you lunch here. I've seen a lot of people eat before coming. Don't bother. Food is provided by the Lackawanna College cafeteria which is catered for by a North Scranton restaurant called Stirna's which has good food. I know that was random, but random facts can't hurt... and I'm braindead from anatomy right now.

If you're inept at parallel parking (like me) the municipal garage is 2 blocks down from TCMC's location at Lackawanna College on North Washington street.

Oh... they give you lunch here. I've seen a lot of people eat before coming. Don't bother. Food is provided by the Lackawanna College cafeteria which is catered for by a North Scranton restaurant called Stirna's which has good food. I know that was random, but random facts can't hurt... and I'm braindead from anatomy right now.

Yeah the lunch part is not clear in the invite email response. It just said to come between noon & 12:30, not that there was anything going on during this time.
And eat the brownies. Otherwise you will have 5 people come up to you at the reception telling you to eat the brownies :D

Yeah... the brownies are pretty good :). I've gained like 3 pounds since matriculating... mostly during human structure and function :(.

I was also bugging out about parking but I found one right near the school and didn't even get at ticket when my meter went over a few hours =).

Brownies were great and the food was okay, they were little sandwich/buns and stuff.

I'd be really excited if I got into here.

For anyone that interviewed...would you mind PMing me what the interview was like/ examples of questions that were asked! TCMC still is not listed on the interview feedback section! Thanks!

Just got my acceptance e-mail this morning, interviewed on Oct. 30. So excited! :)

Just got my acceptance e-mail this morning, interviewed on Oct. 30. So excited! :)

Congrats to you both.
I also interviewed Oct. 30th and am still waiting to hear...I hope it doesn't take another 2 weeks!! :scared:

Congrats to you both.
I also interviewed Oct. 30th and am still waiting to hear...I hope it doesn't take another 2 weeks!! :scared:

I called the admissions office today to ask about why we hadn't heard anything (this was before I checked my e-mail), and was told that the committee had to cancel their meeting two weeks ago (aka the meeting during which we should have been reviewed), thus our delayed acceptances. During the interview day, they did mention that there might be 3 or 4 students who got rolled over to the next committee meeting if they didn't have time to go through everyone's files...so maybe that happened, and you plus 2 or 3 other students will be reviewed in two weeks. :( Waiting is so hard to do, though!

Waitlisted... Was really looking forward to some good news, but hey, still could turn into good news. Good luck to all who are still waiting!

Waitlisted... Was really looking forward to some good news, but hey, still could turn into good news. Good luck to all who are still waiting!

In the same boat as you Spoonbig...the hardest part will be waiting ~5 months for May to roll around..good luck

In the same boat as you Spoonbig...the hardest part will be waiting ~5 months for May to roll around..good luck

I completely agree. But good things come to those who wait, I really hope, haha. Good luck to you too!

Status
Not open for further replies.