2009-2010 University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview Invite. OOS

Does anyone have an idea what time the interview day ends. Could I make a 5:20pm flight?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, the original email just lists the available dates. I am waiting for a reply from them with more info but was just curious as I was looking at available flights.

what did people put for the question about what other career we would do if we didn't get accepted? should we write re-apply or actually write another career we would consider?

Also, should we use the ties essay as a letter of interest (if we have no ties) or should we put that in the last essay about "is there anything more we need to know..."

Thanks!

Last edited:
what did people put for the question about what other career we would do if we didn't get accepted? should we write re-apply or actually write another career we would consider?

Also, should we use the ties essay as a letter of interest (if we have no ties) or should we put that in the last essay about "is there anything more we need to know..."

Thanks!

For the reapply question, I just mentioned that if I were unsuccesful after applying multiple times, I would consider a career in...

Thanks!

All I know is 50 words isn't nearly enough space to tackle that question.

Interview Invite. OOS

Does anyone have an idea what time the interview day ends. Could I make a 5:20pm flight?

According to my itinerary, interview day ends at 3:30. You should be fine with a 5:20 flight if your day is the same.

They're already doing interview invites??? Crap, I knew I should have been checking this thread more frequently. I guess I better get to work on that secondary. :(

So did everyone use the last essay basically as an "why u of mn" essay?

Is it a bad sign (lost email notification) that I don't have a secondary yet and I haven't been screened out? Or are there still a lot of people in limbo like me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a bad sign (lost email notification) that I don't have a secondary yet and I haven't been screened out? Or are there still a lot of people in limbo like me?

I haven't received a secondary from them, yet. Have they been doing mostly In-state secondaries and interview invites? Is there any kind of correlation there? I'm OOS.

I am oos and i just got a secondary yesterday...no worries guys im sure they are doing them in waves...

I am oos and i just got a secondary yesterday...no worries guys im sure they are doing them in waves...

Thanks! It's getting hard to keep track of my status at every school so I was wondering if I missed something. :D

Does U of M screen? I thought they give secondaries to everyone. I still haven't received one and someone here has interview already. :/

I actually left it blank. It might have helped to talk about that, but I figured if they really wanted to know they'd ask us. They have enough essays and letters and stuff to read as it is anyway.

I actually left it blank. It might have helped to talk about that, but I figured if they really wanted to know they'd ask us. They have enough essays and letters and stuff to read as it is anyway.

same here.

7. Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you would pursue is:

Is it okay to say there is nothing else you want to do? or is this too cliche?

7. Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you would pursue is:

Is it okay to say there is nothing else you want to do? or is this too cliche?

I'd say way too cliche. I think they want to see if you actually thought things through.

I did.
BTW, does anyone know what kind of screen (if any) was applied before they sent out secondaries?
edit: never mind, their website says they do screen

Last edited:
Interview invite, IS. Glad to get some instate love

Just got the secondary!!!

So are they still sending out secondaries? this gives me hope, i don't know why I would be screened out though...

Never mind..so I called and they said they are sending them out in batches. They just started last week, as we know, and you can still receive them in the next several weeks.

Last edited:
It's somewhat frustrating that there are some interviews offers before all the secondaries are handed out (at least I hope there are some left to be given out). But to the people who got interviews, big congrats! Minneapolis is one of my favorite cities, by far! Would go there any day.

Sigh... I guess I kinda figured I'd get a secondary by now... In-state 42/3.85

In the meantime, GO TWINS!

Oh, I was verified early July in case anyone asks.

Vette2k10, when did you submit your application? I can't understand how I got through the screening for U of M but got flat out rejected by some other schools already. But U of M is my top choice so no regret yet!

This is a messy process!

Last edited:
Vette2k10, when did you submit your application? I can't understand how I got through the screening for U of M but got flat out rejected by some other schools already. But U of M is my top choice so no regret yet!

This is a messy process!

I submitted my application last friday (8/21) and was complete yestarday (8/24). Good luck with the process bro:luck:

Interview invite, IS. Glad to get some instate love

Did you get an email confirming your interview date yet? I got an interview invite yesterday too, and replied almost immediately about my first choice date. However, I didn't hear back from them today, and I'm getting a little worried...

Thanks!

i replied to the invite yesterday too and haven't heard back yet :\

Hey bambi girl and exeunt -
I got an interview invite yesterday and I confirmed with my top two choices either 9/10 or 9/11, saying either would work and depending on their numbers they could fill me in either way. The lady in the admissions e-mailed me back and told me that they would send a detailed confirmation with the day tomorrow (Thursday) so I think we should all find out tomorrow for people who got invites yesterday!

Hey bambi girl and exeunt -
I got an interview invite yesterday and I confirmed with my top two choices either 9/10 or 9/11, saying either would work and depending on their numbers they could fill me in either way. The lady in the admissions e-mailed me back and told me that they would send a detailed confirmation with the day tomorrow (Thursday) so I think we should all find out tomorrow for people who got invites yesterday!

Thanks so much for the info! I'll keep my fingers crossed ...

What are the available dates?

Did you get an email confirming your interview date yet? I got an interview invite yesterday too, and replied almost immediately about my first choice date. However, I didn't hear back from them today, and I'm getting a little worried...

Thanks!

Same here. I haven't heard from them for 2 days now. If I don't get a conformation by tomorrow I'm gonna call them. Congrats on the interview tho.

AHH! I can't take this! UofM pleeeeease interview me. Gluck to all of you interviewing! I just wish I could get in on this. Keep waiting... :xf:

I'm a minny resident who was verified at the end of July and I still haven't received this one.

Also a MN resident, verified 7/27 and I have not received the secondary yet.

I am officially scared.

I applied June 24, got secondary Aug 17, completed the secondary
the same day and have heard nothing.

I am in state, actually am going to the U of M and have a 3.97 gps and 34s mcat.

I have checked the status of my secondary and though I paid on aug 17 and completed everything it says I am not complete.

So what the heck is going on? Am I going to rejected from my own state U?
That would be really messed up, considering that I got an interview at U of Hawaii, which only interviews 83 oos per cycle.

Last edited:
I am officially scared.

I applied June 24, got secondary Aug 24, completed the secondary
the same day and have heard nothing.

I am in state, actually am going to the U of M and have a 3.97 gps and 34s mcat.

So what the heck is going on? Am I going to rejected from my own state U?
That would be really messed up, considering that I got an interview at U of Hawaii, which only interviews 83 oos per cycle.

um, its only been 4 days since u submitted, relax.
as they start sending out more and more secondaries, they will take longer and longer to give out interviews

Same here. I haven't heard from them for 2 days now. If I don't get a conformation by tomorrow I'm gonna call them. Congrats on the interview tho.

did you guys get a response? i haven't yet... i actually asked if i could interview in october instead and i'm afraid i offended them, lol :(

um, its only been 4 days since u submitted, relax.
as they start sending out more and more secondaries, they will take longer and longer to give out interviews

Sorry I mispoke, I had my secondary in on Aug 17 including the payment but my secondary says incomplete. I will call them and inquire as to what is going on.

My LORs where in at AMCAS on June 24 so I can't imagine what could be holding up my application.

I have the feeling that they matched me up with an interviewer based on my previous research and what I wrote in my personal statement :) Did this happen to anyone else?

I have the feeling that they matched me up with an interviewer based on my previous research and what I wrote in my personal statement :) Did this happen to anyone else?

Buffy, when did you submit/complete the secondary for MN? Just curious.

I completed it on the 25th. They got back to me within two days. Did you put down any ties? I think the ties section may have helped me but who knows! I have a bunch of cousins who live in/near the twin cities.

I think I completed it the same day as you, maybe the day after. Yeah my ties are pretty weak. Other than college friends, just camping and fishing up in the boundary waters each year LOL.:p

Oh well, maybe my time has yet to come. Fingers crossed.

Are people still getting secondary invites? I've been verified since 7/28 and i have not received a secondary yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.