2010-2011 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone received an interview invite lately? I've been complete for 6 weeks and haven't heard anything

Call them. I was complete around the same time..i called them today to ask and this nice lady told me that i will be getting an interview invite very soon🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys

Just wanted to post (since I was on here daily before I found out) that I was accepted! OOS, 3.63 GPA, MCAT near the school's average (I haven't told anyone my score and I'm not about to post it online to the world), and many EC's (research, VA volunteering, music performance, volunteering in Ghana, etc). I interviewed on 9/17.

Good luck to everyone waiting for an interview, going to your interview, waiting for a response (the worst part), and hopefuls from the waitlist!

Congratulations Beachbum!!! 👍
 
Why post your GPA but not your MCAT? Clearly if it is below 30 like the friends I knew who got in schools with a 26 MCAT or 25 MCAT or 24 MCAT in the past in Fl. its cuz you made up for it with a high GPA like they did. And if it is because you don't want people to feel bad, well this is SDN where everyone has high MCAT scores so its not out of place.

But at any rate congrats.

To people interviewing, how long after completion have you been hearing? Is there a way besides calling of finding out status at EVMS? Most schools have a status check online but I couldn't find one for EVMS.

Is it wise to send updates to EVMS to let them know you are still interested like works at other schools? I ask cuz some don't take updates like USF and Albany post secondary. So wanted to know how receptive EVMS is and whether it helps.

At the interview, they will tell you that you can call their office ~2 weeks from your interview day to check on your status. When I called, they also said they would be sending something in the mail around Oct 15, so I'm guessing they also have an acceptance packet. I'm not sure the average time for them to get that packet out post-interview though. I think for a good number of rolling admissions schools it's 4-6 weeks. As far as updates, I don't remember specifically what they said...but I'm pretty sure they didn't say not to send things
 
To people interviewing, how long after completion have you been hearing? Is there a way besides calling of finding out status at EVMS? Most schools have a status check online but I couldn't find one for EVMS.

I haven't seen mention of a status site anywhere.

As far as the timeline goes...
Complete 8/5, interview invite 8/18, interview 9/22 and called on 10/4 and received a decision.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why post your GPA but not your MCAT? Clearly if it is below 30 like the friends I knew who got in schools with a 26 MCAT or 25 MCAT or 24 MCAT in the past in Fl. its cuz you made up for it with a high GPA like they did. And if it is because you don't want people to feel bad, well this is SDN where everyone has high MCAT scores so its not out of place.

But at any rate congrats.

To people interviewing, how long after completion have you been hearing? Is there a way besides calling of finding out status at EVMS? Most schools have a status check online but I couldn't find one for EVMS.

Is it wise to send updates to EVMS to let them know you are still interested like works at other schools? I ask cuz some don't take updates like USF and Albany post secondary. So wanted to know how receptive EVMS is and whether it helps.
Why no MCAT score? Because it's my personal decision to not share it with anyone but the admissions board. Another reason why I shouldn't post it on SDN: Time and time again, adcoms prove that numbers matter!...just not as much as people think. I'm positive that there are plenty of people with significantly higher numbers than me that could fill every spot in that school. Why don't they? Because numbers are only part of the equation and have minimal indiciation that you actually know what it is to be a doctor. Just because your numbers are very average relative to most applicants, that doesn't mean that you can't/won't get in. Your motivation and passion in medicine matter infinitely more (well...within reason)

I just wanted to clarify 😉 I appreciate the congrats and I wish you the best of luck!

p.s. My MCAT score would only make people feel better about theirs, definitely not the other way around.
 
can anyone recommend a nice hotel that is near EVMS? (preferably one that has a shuttle to/from the airport?)
 
Ive been complete here since mid august and still havent heard back...
anyone have suggestions on what to do?

I was complete about one week after you and apparently missed the last wave of invites. I wonder if they have started sending post-secondary rejections
 
I submitted my app quite a while ago but haven't received confirmation that my app is complete. Are they generally slow, or should I be worried? How long did yall take to hear about your status after submitting the secondary?
 
I submitted my app quite a while ago but haven't received confirmation that my app is complete. Are they generally slow, or should I be worried? How long did yall take to hear about your status after submitting the secondary?

Complete 8/24. I think I submitted about 3 weeks before that so the beginning of August. Still waiting on a decision...
 
I submitted my app quite a while ago but haven't received confirmation that my app is complete. Are they generally slow, or should I be worried? How long did yall take to hear about your status after submitting the secondary?

Sent mine on Monday and complete Friday of the same week. Maybe the big obnoxious express shipping envelope helped !?!?!
 
Hey, congrats to everyone with acceptances and invites.

How strict is EVMS with that 1 month deadline to submit the secondary? I kind of forgot, and its been like 3 months...ahh
 
Hey,

I haven't applied to EVMS yet but I'm thinking of it.. do you think its wayy too late to apply? im OOS, MCAT 30S and cGPA 3.65

also- whats the word limit/character limit for the secondary application?

Thanks!
 
Got the letter in the mail today! Officially accepted (already knew by phone), but it's nice to have the official letter! Good luck everyone..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, but not expecting to get an acceptance there at all..
nooooooooooo y not? does it have to do with how your interview went? cuz ur stats are great and mine and uhmmm so if you not hopeful then i should forget i even interviewed there
 
nooooooooooo y not? does it have to do with how your interview went? cuz ur stats are great and mine and uhmmm so if you not hopeful then i should forget i even interviewed there

Student interview I thought went well, but I didn't get a good read on how the faculty interview went. My stats in their lower range, so I figured the chances weren't great. Also, I'd rather have it in my mind that I won't get accepted, then not be so upset when/if the time comes..
 
I think that you misunderstood the thread. He was saying that he had lower stats for John Hopkin's...

How is 3.98/4.0 34 on the MCAT low scores exactly😕😕😕

Sorry but you do realize the GMS kids from BUSM who get into EVMS or from Gtown SMP or from EVMS's own SMP program have lower stats then you right?

and lower I mean 3.2 30, and then 1 year of grad GPA.

You have a 4.0 or close to it according to what you told us way back when on the BUSM thread.

That's hardly low.

You have a MCAT score that is clearly in the 90th percentile. That is clearly not low. So don't tell me that you have lower stats and even if you do its more like lower end for WashU or some top 20 schools.

Not lower end for EVMS.

EVMS's SMP program has had people in it with less then 3.0 in their BCPM GPA and just barely 3.1 or 3.0 in their main GPA and a low 30s MCAT like below yours. I'd not be surprised if there are people that are like them in this range. so calling your stats low is not exactly fair in the context of this particular school or really any school for that matter.
 
I think that you misunderstood the thread. He was saying that he had lower stats for John Hopkin's...

What Bengarama said is correct.

I was very happy with my score. I'm not saying that is is "low" by any means, but considering the spread of MCAT scores for Hopkins, it is in their lower range.

Edit: And sorry for spamming the EVMS thread.. back on topic!
 
Waitlisted: 3.7 / 39Q / IS

Not a big surprise, seeing how I decided I was not going to put up with my interviewer's rudeness.

This was not an isolated incident, but rather the final straw on many encounters I have had with EVMS through the last few years in which they have displayed a high degree of 'unprofessionalism'. (I have lived in the EVMS community my whole life)
 
Waitlisted: 3.7 / 39Q / IS

Not a big surprise, seeing how I decided I was not going to put up with my interviewer's rudeness.

This was not an isolated incident, but rather the final straw on many encounters I have had with EVMS through the last few years in which they have displayed a high degree of 'unprofessionalism'. (I have lived in the EVMS community my whole life)

I was also waitlisted here and was appalled at how rude and aggressive my interviewers were 😱. In fact I was certain I'd be rejected considering how atrocious the whole experience was. The medical student interviewer was extremely condescending, which only served to give me the impression that if this is how the students are at this school, I don't even want to go here.👎 Very unprofessional.
 
I was also waitlisted here and was appalled at how rude and aggressive my interviewers were 😱. In fact I was certain I'd be rejected considering how atrocious the whole experience was. The medical student interviewer was extremely condescending, which only served to give me the impression that if this is how the students are at this school, I don't even want to go here.👎 Very unprofessional.

Yikes! I'm so sorry to hear you all had such a bad experience! 🙁

Just so people don't think ALL interviews at EVMS are aggressive and unprofessional, I did have a very good experience there. Both of my interviewers (both faculty members) were incredibly friendly and seemed to only want to get to know me. They definitely questioned me about my views on health care reform, but I was able to defend myself and when I finished they said, "You have clearly thought this through..good job." It was certainly one of the most laid back interviews I've had.

I think at this school it really is luck who you end up with across the table.
 
Waitlisted: 3.7 / 39Q / IS

Not a big surprise, seeing how I decided I was not going to put up with my interviewer's rudeness.

This was not an isolated incident, but rather the final straw on many encounters I have had with EVMS through the last few years in which they have displayed a high degree of 'unprofessionalism'. (I have lived in the EVMS community my whole life)

I was also waitlisted here and was appalled at how rude and aggressive my interviewers were 😱. In fact I was certain I'd be rejected considering how atrocious the whole experience was. The medical student interviewer was extremely condescending, which only served to give me the impression that if this is how the students are at this school, I don't even want to go here.👎 Very unprofessional.

great I have an interview here soon and this did NOT help my nerves. But thanks for the honesty
 
So on the acceptance letter, one of the conditions states that "students should hold no more than one acceptance at a given time...EVMS reserves the right to withdraw its offer of acceptance to an applicant who does not follow this guideline."

I know students shouldn't, but I thought that students could hold on to them while considering, or at least until financial aid info comes out.. is this an exception?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So on the acceptance letter, one of the conditions states that "students should hold no more than one acceptance at a given time...EVMS reserves the right to withdraw its offer of acceptance to an applicant who does not follow this guideline."

I know students shouldn't, but I thought that students could hold on to them while considering, or at least until financial aid info comes out.. is this an exception?

Yeah I stared at that statement for a while when reading the acceptance info..I can't imagine that they would actually withdraw their acceptance offer if they found out you were holding onto another one from a different school. People clearly do it. I'm planning on holding onto two while I find out financial aid information and where my significant other will be.

Like gujudoc said, might not hurt to call and ask, but I can't imagine they would (a) find out or (b) actually care/do anything about it. It's probably just trying to discourage you from holding multiple.
 
So on the acceptance letter, one of the conditions states that "students should hold no more than one acceptance at a given time...EVMS reserves the right to withdraw its offer of acceptance to an applicant who does not follow this guideline."

I know students shouldn't, but I thought that students could hold on to them while considering, or at least until financial aid info comes out.. is this an exception?

Ok so I just looked at last years thread because I thought I remembered them talking about this (how pathetic and creepy is that!? Yikes..will be so glad when this cycle is over so I can get off SDN!)...here's what one person said:

When I went down to drop off my signed paperwork and deposit, I specifically asked about this. The woman basically said not to worry about it if you legitimately have not decided because you are waiting for more information (other acceptances, financial aid packages, etc.). Although the AAMC verbiage is very specific, they seem to understand that this is a very fluid process. I think they just want to avoid the people who procrastinate for no good reason, or hold them out of spite/ego.
 
Waitlisted: 3.7 / 39Q / IS

Not a big surprise, seeing how I decided I was not going to put up with my interviewer's rudeness.

This was not an isolated incident, but rather the final straw on many encounters I have had with EVMS through the last few years in which they have displayed a high degree of 'unprofessionalism'. (I have lived in the EVMS community my whole life)

I was also waitlisted here and was appalled at how rude and aggressive my interviewers were 😱. In fact I was certain I'd be rejected considering how atrocious the whole experience was. The medical student interviewer was extremely condescending, which only served to give me the impression that if this is how the students are at this school, I don't even want to go here.👎 Very unprofessional.

I would be very interested for the name of the medical student that interviewed you. It is really annoying how a single person can ruin the reputation for an entire school. Could you message me if possible?
 
I would be very interested for the name of the medical student that interviewed you. It is really annoying how a single person can ruin the reputation for an entire school. Could you message me if possible?

I'm a little bit hesitant since I don't have an acceptance yet anywhere and I don't want to be identified, you know, trying to stay anonymous. But yes, I felt terribly abused during the interview, and if you look back at the interview feedback that you can find on sdn, there are other reports of this, I think under the "things I wish I knew before I interviewed" section?? I think that is where it is?
I considered contacting the Dean of Admissions because it was so over the top.
I've had a fair number of interviews too, so it's not like I don't have anything to compare to.
Oh well, I'm glad others had a good experience and luck with this school. I clearly have not. Sometimes this is just the luck of the draw.
I went into the application and interview with an upbeat, happy, would definitely go here attitude. I guess, I don't have to say anything more than this; sure got that spirit kicked out of me.👎
 
Status
Not open for further replies.