2010-2011 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,
I am from out of state ....and am placed on top 1/3 of the waitlist.
The school seems great and would like to go here.
I have heard that the waitlist for OOS moves faster than for IS ....is that true?
Thanks for your help.
For anyone who wants info
3.76 GPA , 30 MCAT, NYC resident
 
Hi All,
I am from out of state ....and am placed on top 1/3 of the waitlist.
The school seems great and would like to go here.
I have heard that the waitlist for OOS moves faster than for IS ....is that true?
Thanks for your help.
For anyone who wants info
3.76 GPA , 30 MCAT, NYC resident

Their waitlist for OOS has moved faster than IS in the past years... but, I don't think anyone will be able to give you a set percentage chance of you getting in... it all depends... the top 1/3 of the waitlist consists of a lot of people and not all of them get in... I was told by the admissions office that people get off the waitlist based on the demographics of those who turned down acceptances (i.e. male, disadvantaged from west coast turns down acceptance... they accept someone with similar stats from the waitlist)...so just keep your fingers crossed (like the rest of us 🙁 ) and send in those updates.
 
Medical School application is like a roller coaster..... u go high, u go low and for some u just wait in line for the ride and hope the line moves fast
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was told by the admissions office that people get off the waitlist based on the demographics of those who turned down acceptances (i.e. male, disadvantaged from west coast turns down acceptance... they accept someone with similar stats from the waitlist)...so just keep your fingers crossed (like the rest of us 🙁 ) and send in those updates.

I'm curious about this... I asked Dr. Solhaug about it point blank, and he said it is complete nonsense.

Just saying...
 
not that im disagreeing with you, but why would the admissions office tell us bunk?

I am not one to make up random rumors... This is what the lady in the admissions office told me when i asked how they pic from the waitlist... I should have asked Dr. Solhaug when i spoke with him... I guess if he said its bs, it must be, since he is a more reliable source... either way, we are still here going crazy waiting for some movement (regardless of how the movement is arranged) :xf: 😀
 
The admissions office told me the same exact thing. They also said it doesn't matter which third of the waitlist you were placed in since they replace by demographics.
 
The admissions office told me the same exact thing. They also said it doesn't matter which third of the waitlist you were placed in since they replace by demographics.

Hmm, this is very interesting. So I guess there is no real point to the ranking then? Can't wait for the waitlist to officially start moving in May!
 
I have been in the same boat...never responded to my first (right after interview) or second(update rather recently). Could mean nothing or it could mean we are doomed. I hate the wait list.

While it's a good sign if Dr. Solhaug grants you a phone interview, it's not necessarily a bad sign if you hear nothing either. I spoke with Vera several times, sent multiple updates and requests for a phone interview, and heard nothing - no acknowledgment, no phone interview, and no invite to preview weekend. And I still got in. 🙂 So I recommend politely persevering in expressing your interest, and don't read too much into EVMS' lack of response. Things are definitely going on behind the scenes...
 
While it's a good sign if Dr. Solhaug grants you a phone interview, it's not necessarily a bad sign if you hear nothing either. I spoke with Vera several times, sent multiple updates and requests for a phone interview, and heard nothing - no acknowledgment, no phone interview, and no invite to preview weekend. And I still got in. 🙂 So I recommend politely persevering in expressing your interest, and don't read too much into EVMS' lack of response. Things are definitely going on behind the scenes...

It's good to hear from someone with the experience. I hope history will repeat itself (several times) for many people here 😀
 
i've got an interview on the 16th. I've heard various things about the interviews. Does anyone have any good info to pass? Much appreciated.
 
Hello experienced applicants!

I am applying this June for the entering class of 2012. I am a Virginia resident with outstanding extracurriculars and recommendations, but with less than stellar numbers on my application.

Activities: animal shelter volunteer, studied abroad, internship in Peds, ER scribe, volunteer EMT, lots of shadowing, tons of clubs, activities, volunteer work during undergrad like food kitchens, red cross, etc.

My overall GPA is 3.4, sGPA 3.0, MCAT 27Q. Has anyone found success with numbers in this ballpark? I know they are weak, but I feel that if I can only make it to the interview that this would be my greatest strength. I did go to a very competitive undergraduate school known for being quite difficult, not that this is any excuse for my low numbers, but I feel that I focused on relationships and extracurriculars rather than studies my first 2 years. I was on the Dean's list my last 3 semesters, however. I am currently taking classes at the local university to improve my GPA. Is this enough? I am looking to stay local, and EVMS is my abolute first choice. Thank you in advance for your imput.
 
Hello experienced applicants!

I am applying this June for the entering class of 2012. I am a Virginia resident with outstanding extracurriculars and recommendations, but with less than stellar numbers on my application.

Activities: animal shelter volunteer, studied abroad, internship in Peds, ER scribe, volunteer EMT, lots of shadowing, tons of clubs, activities, volunteer work during undergrad like food kitchens, red cross, etc.

My overall GPA is 3.4, sGPA 3.0, MCAT 27Q. Has anyone found success with numbers in this ballpark? I know they are weak, but I feel that if I can only make it to the interview that this would be my greatest strength. I did go to a very competitive undergraduate school known for being quite difficult, not that this is any excuse for my low numbers, but I feel that I focused on relationships and extracurriculars rather than studies my first 2 years. I was on the Dean's list my last 3 semesters, however. I am currently taking classes at the local university to improve my GPA. Is this enough? I am looking to stay local, and EVMS is my abolute first choice. Thank you in advance for your imput.

unless someone on this forum is from admissions, it would be all speculation. I would talk to a guidance counselor. There are students with so many different backgrounds accepted to medical school each year, it is best to diversify yourself as much as possible to standout (in a good way). Good luck, it is a grueling process, but if it doesn't happen this time around, enjoy yourself and go have an adventure (one that would help you breakout from the pack). I've got my interview in a few days, and trust me, my numbers are all over the place, but i've already been accepted to 3 other med schools this year, so you never know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i've got an interview on the 16th. I've heard various things about the interviews. Does anyone have any good info to pass? Much appreciated.


I just interviewed here back in early Feb. In my opinion, the interview was not quite as warm and fuzzy as some of the other schools I have gone to. Not to say it was aggressive or uncomfortable, it was just a little more businesslike. I would still say it was a pleasant experience.

You will be interviewed by a panel of 3 people (normally) that will include an adcom member, a physician, and most likely a medical student. Most of the standard questions will come and there is a high probability of getting at least one ethical question. I did not get "challenged" on my ethical question answer as others have reported but there was back and forth dialogue as we discussed the issue for about 5 minutes.

I have seen some of your other posts and, like you, I am a non traditional student. One thing I did notice is that EVMS seems to be a little more non trad friendly than the others schools I have visited. I noticed some older students attending class and during my interview the panel seemed to have a greater interest in how my past experiences have motivated me to pursue medicine.
 
i've got an interview on the 16th. I've heard various things about the interviews. Does anyone have any good info to pass? Much appreciated.

I think how you interview goes will completely depend on whom you get as an interviewer... if you go a few pages back, you will see comments about both extremes... there were people who complained about their interviewers being rude, unprofessional, inconsiderate... and then they are people like me 😀 who got two of the nicest interviewers I could imagine.... my interview was very, very pleasant and I was able to simply be myself...

I was prepared for the worst after reading the comments here... I had answers to every possible ethical question in my head... I was ready to be drilled... but when I saw that my interviewers were very chill... I relaxed and forgot all the memorized answers... I would advice you do the same... be prepared for tough ethical questions and a very formal interview... but if you get nicer and more relaxed people just enjoy the process!

hope that helps,
good luck
 
thanks everyone! this is a much warmer forum than others I am on. I'm really excited about the interview. I just spent a month in Africa helping teach social medicine issues to ugandan medical students, so bring on the ethical questions!! as a nontrad student, i've got plenty to talk about my past, i just hope they are interested, lol. I've heard just great things about EVMS, it is my #1 choice. being out-of-state res, well, that doesn't help, maybe i'll bake them some cookies or something..
 
I want some waitlist movementtt!!!

will it be a waste of cyberspace if I make a separate EVMS Waitlist thread where we all can post dates interviewed/waitlisted/stats if we wish and acceptances when we get in?
 
I want some waitlist movementtt!!!

will it be a waste of cyberspace if I make a separate EVMS Waitlist thread where we all can post dates interviewed/waitlisted/stats if we wish and acceptances when we get in?

I'd advise against starting another forum for that, it'd just drive you crazy. Try keeping busy and making plans for a possible year off, like traveling or working for some NGO in an exotic location. Research helps too. Good luck, keep positive but not manic!!
 
I'd advise against starting another forum for that, it'd just drive you crazy. Try keeping busy and making plans for a possible year off, like traveling or working for some NGO in an exotic location. Research helps too. Good luck, keep positive but not manic!!

lol thanks!
 
I have a quick question...

I have some things to update EVMS on so I will be sending Dr. Solhaug an update letter soon.... I also want to express my intent to attending the school if accepted.... Would it be alright to combine the letter of intent and the update letter or will it be more effective if I send in the update letter and express intent in a separate email in a few weeks? I know its a trivial detail but just wanted to check with you guys.

Thanks
 
Would it be alright to combine the letter of intent and the update letter or will it be more effective if I send in the update letter and express intent in a separate email in a few weeks? I know its a trivial detail but just wanted to check with you guys.

Thanks

do it all in one letter. The updates are a great excuse and segue into expressing interest and or commitment. GL
 
Interview this week 🙂. I will be staying 2 nights from OOS...anyone familiar with the area/already attended interview recommend anything I should checkout while in Norfolk? Is "riding the tide" a good way to get to the interview from downtonw?
Thanks!
 
Interview this week 🙂. I will be staying 2 nights from OOS...anyone familiar with the area/already attended interview recommend anything I should checkout while in Norfolk? Is "riding the tide" a good way to get to the interview from downtonw?
Thanks!

DO NOT BY ANY MEANS DEPEND ON ANY FORM OF PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION FOR ANY REASON. It is horrible here (non-existant), and it's just asking for trouble and headaches esp if you think it'll be a good way to get to the school. Definitely just either get a cab or walk (weather is supposed to be good all week except this morning).
 
DO NOT BY ANY MEANS DEPEND ON ANY FORM OF PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION FOR ANY REASON. It is horrible here (non-existant), and it's just asking for trouble and headaches esp if you think it'll be a good way to get to the school. Definitely just either get a cab or walk (weather is supposed to be good all week except this morning).

Yeah, I rented a car w/ one of those Orbitz packages lol. Thank god for Google Nav on Android.
 
so i'm just about done writing this loi and i was just wondering if you guys wouldnt mind putting in your 2 cents. i'm re reading it and its basically all about how amazing i think evms is and how its the perfect school for me and has everything i'm looking for and how all of my past educational and personal experiences have seemed to prepared me to fit with evms. and it is all true. is this along the lines of what most people put in their loi's? or am i writing something that is over sappy and seems like i am begging them to accept me...
 
so i'm just about done writing this loi and i was just wondering if you guys wouldnt mind putting in your 2 cents. i'm re reading it and its basically all about how amazing i think evms is and how its the perfect school for me and has everything i'm looking for and how all of my past educational and personal experiences have seemed to prepared me to fit with evms. and it is all true. is this along the lines of what most people put in their loi's? or am i writing something that is over sappy and seems like i am begging them to accept me...

Let's not kid ourselves, LOIs are begging the school to accept us. I'm writing mine now. The trick is to not sound like we are begging, but to sound like we are maturely begging.

I recommend to write the whole thing in the third person, or to use Yoda-like grammar. Me personally, I'm throwing in tons of quotes from Napoleon Dynamite and submitting it with an attached drawing of a Liger (half lion-half tiger, bred for its skills and magic).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
has anyone who has sent in a LOI not heard back from the dean? i sent one to him weeks ago and haven't heard back yet...
 
has anyone who has sent in a LOI not heard back from the dean? i sent one to him weeks ago and haven't heard back yet...

I'm under the impression that LOIs need to be sent only after an acceptance, whether it is on the waitlist, hold status, etc? Prior to any type of positive correspondence after the interview, it is generally frowned upon. Any thoughts?
 
i'm confused. why would you need to send in a LOI after you're already accepted to the school? did i understand you wrong?
 
i'm confused. why would you need to send in a LOI after you're already accepted to the school? did i understand you wrong?

I meant waitlist or Hold status. I've never heard of sending it immediately after an interview, but only as a way to boost your spot on the waitlist, or move from hold/alternate to the waitlist. I'm just not sure how professional it is to send an LOI after the interview. Isn't that what the interview is for, to tell them your intent? Not sure, any thoughts would be great.
 
i sent a LOI after getting on the top-third waitlist. if you just interviewed, i think you should stick to writing thank-you notes to your interviewers. at least that's what i did.
 
i sent a LOI after getting on the top-third waitlist. if you just interviewed, i think you should stick to writing thank-you notes to your interviewers. at least that's what i did.

Yeah, slight issue, accidentally forgot the EVMS student's name from the interview panel. I'll just write it to the committee chair and admissions. Yeah, LOIs should come after some sort of placement, agreed on that.
 
Yeah, slight issue, accidentally forgot the EVMS student's name from the interview panel. I'll just write it to the committee chair and admissions. Yeah, LOIs should come after some sort of placement, agreed on that.

haha, that's what happened to me too. i just called the admissions office, gave them information on when/which room i interviewed, and the lady provided me with all the names of my interviewers. i even asked how to spell the names, haha.
 
haha, that's what happened to me too. i just called the admissions office, gave them information on when/which room i interviewed, and the lady provided me with all the names of my interviewers. i even asked how to spell the names, haha.

nice! good idea.
 
There is no "rule" about sending LOI. There is no real reason to send it after you're accepted. I have heard people sending them after an interview (if the school wowed them that much). Also, it is important to distinguish a letter of interest from a letter of intent. An interest letter would just be restating that you are interested in the school and that it would be great that if you were considered. Intent, on the other hand, implies that you will guarantee your matriculation at the school if given an acceptance even if you are accepted to other institutions. A letter of intent is a powerful thing and it should be used wisely. It would be frowned upon if you issued a letter of intent, got accepted and chose to go somewhere else where you got off the waitlist.

Also if anyone has any questions about EVMS, please feel free to pm me!
 
I interviewed in October and was put in on the waitlist (top 1/3, in-state). I mailed in the thank you notes after the interview and mailed a letter of interest/update in early January. Then, I emailed another letter directly to the dean about a week or so ago. I haven't gotten any type of response from anyone. I saw on the forum that some people emailed letters and got replies / invites for phone interviews almost immediately. Should I be worried?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^ Someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, but isn't preview weekend just for accepted students, plus a few waitlisters at the very top of the list?

For accepted students, yes, but also for ANY invited WLers (not just those at the very tippy-top of this imaginary admissions hill).
 
I must admit, I'm not feeling the love on the waitlist since I didn't get an invite.....

I just spoke with the very nice lady at the admissions office and she told me that the Preview Weekend is planned and executed by students and the admissions office will not be able to answer any questions about it since they don't deal with who gets invited or anything... this could mean that whether or not you are invited has nothing to do with what your chances of getting in are...
 
Honestly it's wear whatever the hell you want. You MIGHT want to bring a polo shirt and jeans for the sessions at school, but honestly it doesn't matter. I was shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops last year.

I would bring a sweatshirt or something for this weekend, though. I think it's only going to get up to 59 during the day (which means cooler when we start drinking haha)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.