2010-2011 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Thank you for your email. We are aware that you may be experiencing difficulty accessing the Hofstra University portal to complete your supplemental application. We are currently diagnosing the problem and will contact you when the issue has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions
Hofstra University School of Medicine
in partnership with
North Shore-LIJ Health System"

Members don't see this ad :)
did you get the email?

Not with the resolution of the problem. I was kidding, implying that we could crack it with a different username/password. I tried the ones used for all the different apps and nadda. Must have been an internal system error in generating access...

Not with the resolution of the problem. I was kidding, implying that we could crack it with a different username/password. I tried the ones used for all the different apps and nadda. Must have been an internal system error in generating access...

ohhh :smack: I'm smart enough to get into medical school I swear. lol I tried like a thousand different combos too.

Maybe you've just had your bell rung one too many times. ;) :p

boom!

and the puns on usernames continue. guess this is the witty secondary thread. maybe they'll select a clever class.

Got in. They just sent a new e-mail that seemed like a mish mash of the first one and confusing ending, but they basically give you a new user name.

So you have to choose two essays (500 words limit each) from four possibilities (1 extra if you're md/phd)

(1) A new Medical School will offer unique opportunities and challenges. Please discuss what you perceive some of these may be.

(2) Provide an example of your involvement or efforts in a project or activity that supports diversity in your community and/or school. How will you add to the diversity of the medical school class?

(3) Provide an example of adversity that you or someone you know has faced. Please explain how the situation was resolved, and describe both a positive and negative way which the situation could have been handled differently.

(4) Describe a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life. How do you plan to integrate it into your life as a physician?

MD/PhD applicants only: Please describe your prior research experience and future career goals.

I'm so tired of writing essays and shelling out money that I'm not even sure I'm going to complete this one. At 100 dollars and two essays it just doesn't seem worth it at this point :p

Thats weird. I have never heard of a school letting you chose which prompts to answer. oh the possibilities.

Thats weird. I have never heard of a school letting you chose which prompts to answer. oh the possibilities.

Yeah, it makes me think that if we get to choose, then the ones we select better be good, because that's the (assumed) best we could do with 4 prompts.

I just submitted. The payment confirmation looks kinda strange (both on-screen and email) so I'll call them to make sure it went through okay.

I just submitted. The payment confirmation looks kinda strange (both on-screen and email) so I'll call them to make sure it went through okay.

Did yours have the

"Please note that this email you just received was inadvertantly [sic] sent from a Test server. Please disreagard!!! [sic] This is only a Test."

message at the end?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, mine had that.

I got that same message on my payment confirmation email.

When i log into the secondary website, it lists my application under submitted. but now im unsure if the payment went through :(

For anyone interested, MDapps officially added Hofstra to their list of medical schools!

My application menu is showing one application submitted (from today) and one application processed (from the 2nd). Is that my primary? Is that what everyone else's has shown?

I think I might literally be the absolute first one to be complete at that school - did it right that night as soon as I got the app pretty much. I have no idea how much that would help or be hurt - if mine is the first application they see in their review committee (when they may not have a great idea of what their applicant pool looks like).

I wonder if I get a prize for being the first one to apply to their medical school. They should offer me admission as a reward. Please. Make it happen. :D

I really want to go here too.

So just to clarify...you all got confirmation of payment emails? Cause I didn't get an email just a confirmation screen. I have no idea if my payment/secondary submission was successful. I might have to call on monday.

I also didn't get a payment conformation email either. I had sent it once, but I don't think it went through because the next day there was still no submitted applications. I then resubmitted the secondary the next day again and it says mine is in review now so I'm assuming they got it and its paid for?

I also didn't get a payment conformation email either. I had sent it once, but I don't think it went through because the next day there was still no submitted applications. I then resubmitted the secondary the next day again and it says mine is in review now so I'm assuming they got it and its paid for?

Thanks for the response. So i have one under submitted dated yesterday...do you think that means it went through with the payment? Nothing under review but I submitted on a weekend so I prolly have to wait for Monday for that.

I think I might literally be the absolute first one to be complete at that school - did it right that night as soon as I got the app pretty much. I have no idea how much that would help or be hurt - if mine is the first application they see in their review committee (when they may not have a great idea of what their applicant pool looks like).

I wonder if I get a prize for being the first one to apply to their medical school. They should offer me admission as a reward. Please. Make it happen. :D

I really want to go here too.
I also submitted it that night (before 10:00 PM EDT). I'd bet there were 100 or less people who submitted it the first day. Brand new school and 2 intermediate-length essays were required. I think it would only help us, because even if they think our applications aren't too great, they'd still put us in a later pile just to see what the later applicants look like. Also submitting early shows we are interested in the school, and that is important for a brand new school since they can't overaccept.

Also submitted the night the secondary came out. They didn't send me a "complete" email until Friday but I was updated as complete on the website prior to that.

haha ya. I wrote both of my essays specifically for Hofstra so it took me a bit longer. Did you all just use ones from other schools?

It's only 400-500 words.

only? thats like my personal statement -_-

(3) Provide an example of adversity that you or someone you know has faced. Please explain how the situation was resolved, and describe both a positive and negative way which the situation could have been handled differently

do you guys think itd be fine to talk about a relationship problem or something? i can't really think of anything else worth talking about -_-

only? thats like my personal statement -_-

(3) Provide an example of adversity that you or someone you know has faced. Please explain how the situation was resolved, and describe both a positive and negative way which the situation could have been handled differently

do you guys think itd be fine to talk about a relationship problem or something? i can't really think of anything else worth talking about -_-

I wrote essays for 3 and 4. I got stuck on 3 for a bit feeling like you did that I didn't have anything worthwhile to write about and then then I thought "F**k it" adversity just means a hardship, difficult time, or misfortune.. so I just thought of a really s***ty situation and wrote about that. And 4 was easy to write about because well it was/is a passion of mine and I think it could be easily integrated into my future plans as a physician.
Also, word limits are LIMITS. One essay was like 350, and the other was just under 300. As long as you're getting your point across being under the word limit should be fine.

Can anyone find a posted due date for the Hofstra secondary? I've looked all over the website and I can't find it anywhere--just the deadline for the AMCAS. It's messing up my spreadsheet!

haha ya. I wrote both of my essays specifically for Hofstra so it took me a bit longer. Did you all just use ones from other schools?

No, I try not to. I am an average :oops: applicant, so I have to make sure at least my essays are stellar :D.

No, I try not to. I am an average :oops: applicant, so I have to make sure at least my essays are stellar :D.

I hear that! Hopefully they will read them be amazed and give us both interviews. :)

Last edited:
They mean the primary application before the end of August, not the completed secondary.

oh whops! good catch. no idea then. :p

These are some hard essays even if its 2 out of 4!! No idea what I'm going to write!

Just submitted. Anyone heard back about an interview? If so, how long did they take to process?

so excited for this!!!! but they're only accepting 40 students, for there first year at least

Hey folks, I'm a Downstate MS2 who just finished a program at Hofstra med to pilot the PBL cases.

Aero, what's your source on this? We were told by one of the admissions people today that they are accepting 108 students for the MS1 class this year.

Hey folks, I'm a Downstate MS2 who just finished a program at Hofstra med to pilot the PBL cases.

Aero, what's your source on this? We were told by one of the admissions people today that they are accepting 108 students for the MS1 class this year.

Don't schools usually over accept assuming that many students will end up going somewhere else?

vulcan- i forgot exactly where but i def read it..either in a pamphlet they sent out or in an email. I remember reading it, and my friend calling me the same day freaking out that they are only accepting 40 students, but since its my first choice school I sure hope Im wrong!!!!

vulcan- i forgot exactly where but i def read it..either in a pamphlet they sent out or in an email. I remember reading it, and my friend calling me the same day freaking out that they are only accepting 40 students, but since its my first choice school I sure hope Im wrong!!!!

I think what that message from the Assistant Dean means is that the first class has 40 seats in it. However, that implies they will have to ACCEPT more than that, knowing that not everyone who is accepted will actually matriculate.

So anyone know when they start reviewing apps?

Was there a place on the application to detail our activities for the upcoming year?

hey guys! for those of you who did number 4.... how did you interpret it? i wrote about gymnastics and how its been a passion of mine since i was 9 and how i would continue to do gymnastics and watch it on tv and go to meets throughout my career. like my life as a doctor wouldnt get in the way of my love of gymnastics. then my mom read my essay and said actually its supposed to be about how your passion for gymnastics is going to make you a better physician and how your passion translates to how you treat your patients...

so now i'm really confused... what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.