2010-2011 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i can't find the time anywhere. i scheduled 10/29. where did you guys get 8-4?

As wanderer100 said earlier in the thread once you schedule your appointment you get the confirmation email which contains an ics file. If you use Google Calendar you can automatically add the interview to your calendar and it shows up as 8A to 4P. I could also see the time in the message itself (using gmail). I think this will work w/ other calendars as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview Invite for Hofstra!! The earliest date to schedule an interview seems to be November 1st, however I chose November 15th due to other interview conflicts.

Secondary Sent 8/18, Complete: 8/24, Invite: 10/4

I am super emocionado!

Secondary Sent: 9/16
Invite: 10/4
Interview Date: 10/26

:luck: to everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary submitted 9/30
Interview invite 10/4
Interview date 11/12
:luck: to ALL!

WOW TjChamp, that is a incredibly fast response!

You mind if I ask what your stats look like?

(Mad jealous :D, GOOD LUCK!)

Anyone interviewed here yet? I'd like to know what the interview was like, any strange questions asked, etc.. Thanks!

@ Thaw, I was complete around midnight last friday, and received an interview invite this afternoon. Response in half of a business day, basically. Their admissions staff appears to be on their game, pretty impressive.

WOW TjChamp, that is a incredibly fast response!

You mind if I ask what your stats look like?

(Mad jealous :D, GOOD LUCK!)
Average Applicant.. 3.5 and high 20s.. but crazy clinical and extra-curriculars.. Good luck wunandonly:thumbup:

Last edited:
Anyone interviewed here yet? I'd like to know what the interview was like, any strange questions asked, etc.. Thanks!

@ Thaw, I was complete around midnight last friday, and received an interview invite this afternoon. Response in half of a business day, basically. Their admissions staff appears to be on their game, pretty impressive.
congrats bro.. when are you interviewing?

@sphun65

Wow, that's amazing.

I submitted around 9/17, I'm hoping I get something soon. =/

Complete 9/30.
Interview invite today!
Interview 11/5
3.6 & 30

This is my top choice school! I hope I get in here!

congrats bro.. when are you interviewing?

I picked October 28. I got the email to my phone, and then ran over to a computer to register for a day. I imagine that helped!

thawunandonly said:
@sphun65

Wow, that's amazing.

I submitted around 9/17, I'm hoping I get something soon. =/

I wouldn't lose hope just yet. It's pretty clear that some of us got a big break with the fast response. We didn't blow their doors down with our stats, so keep the faith! And focus on other schools too. No need to choose definite favorites this early, you never know who might surprise you with an interview invite. Was definitely a big surprise for me.

Got my interview invite yesterday but due to a new job i missed it until today ==;;

dates available are now 10/9 and after

Complete on 9/23
Invite 10/4

Cant wait, I didnt receive the initial secondary until i called 3 weeks later =[ but this makes up for it haha ^^

Anyone interview here yesterday? How did it go?

I'm interviewing here Friday and definitely feeling like a guinea pig not knowing what to expect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I interviewed yesterday and will give a few highlights -

- Talk with Dean Smith in the AM
- 2 30-45 min interviews
- FinAid talk
- Tour of med school building
- Lunch
- Bus tour to affiliate hospitals/simulation center

Overall the day was a little long but definitely very informative. The new med school building looks a little plain from the outside but it is beautifully renovated inside with mostly study space, a cafeteria, lecture hall, library, and a structure (anatomy) lab. The admissions staff were extremely friendly and super eager to answer our questions and get feedback since it was their first interview day ever. The curriculum is very non-traditional and has a very heavy case-based, independent study approach with very little lecture time. There are 5-6 fully integrated courses over the first 2 years. The coolest part, I think, would be to be a part of the first class ever, as it opens huge opportunities if you choose to stay with the school/health system.

Any other questions feel free to PM me!

Hey all, I interviewed yesterday and will give a few highlights -

- Talk with Dean Smith in the AM
- 2 30-45 min interviews
- FinAid talk
- Tour of med school building
- Lunch
- Bus tour to affiliate hospitals/simulation center

Overall the day was a little long but definitely very informative. The new med school building looks a little plain from the outside but it is beautifully renovated inside with mostly study space, a cafeteria, lecture hall, library, and a structure (anatomy) lab. The admissions staff were extremely friendly and super eager to answer our questions and get feedback since it was their first interview day ever. The curriculum is very non-traditional and has a very heavy case-based, independent study approach with very little lecture time. There are 5-6 fully integrated courses over the first 2 years. The coolest part, I think, would be to be a part of the first class ever, as it opens huge opportunities if you choose to stay with the school/health system.

Any other questions feel free to PM me!

How was the interview structured? Is it 2 faculty members interviewing you at the same time or at different times? (I don't think you can have a student interviewer, after all) Was it open file or closed file? Were there any absurd questions or was it just standard "talk about this experience"?

Our interview day ended by 2:40PM yesterday. It might be tight getting to JFK for 6:10 though b/c of traffic, esp. if you leave later. The end of the day is a bus tour to the tertiary hospitals and to their sim lab (very nice), but if you're worried about your flight perhaps you can ask to leave before then. Also if you're planning the public transportation route note that the commuter rail departs only about once an hour.

How long? Do you think I will be able to get over to JFK for a 6:10 flight outta there?

Honestly if you catch a cab to JFK by 3 you should be OK. Even if it takes you 2 hours, which it won't, you'll be fine.

How long? Do you think I will be able to get over to JFK for a 6:10 flight outta there?

Honestly,
I would try to find a flight thats later if its possible. Traffic in NY is very unpredictable. If you end up staying until 4, you might get stuck in rush hour on the way to the airport. In no traffic, you would be able to get there in an under an hour. In traffic, it could take up to 3 hours. Also, check-in is not a 5 minute wait at JFK

When I drove home from Hofstra after the interview there was zero traffic all the way heading towards the city. Only leaving Manhattan was there traffic, but you're not doing that.

It will not take 3 hours to get from western Nasau County to Eastern Queens. There will 95% chance be zero traffic going into the city. You will be fine. Your interview will get out when they say it will, only a little earlier. Take a cab to be safe. You'll be at JFK in 20-40 minutes.
Enjoy the interview--it's awesome there!

congrats to everyone with interviews! esp you guys who got them like 3 days after applying that is truly amazing!

i was just wondering.... i applied at the beginning of sept and my status still says this:
Your application is complete, but we have received an overwhelming number of applications from qualified individuals like yourself, and we are still in the process of reviewing your materials to determine your status. We will notify you of your status via email, or you may check back here to view your current status.

anyone else in the same boat?

congrats to everyone with interviews! esp you guys who got them like 3 days after applying that is truly amazing!

i was just wondering.... i applied at the beginning of sept and my status still says this:
Your application is complete, but we have received an overwhelming number of applications from qualified individuals like yourself, and we are still in the process of reviewing your materials to determine your status. We will notify you of your status via email, or you may check back here to view your current status.

anyone else in the same boat?

I'm in the same boat. I submitted 8/31 and my status says the same thing.

It is what it is. They're reviewing the app. It will probably take some time just like every other school.

How were their interviews? Did they ask really hard questions? Healthcare policy, ethics?

How were their interviews? Did they ask really hard questions? Healthcare policy, ethics?

Very conversational, app related questions. They're all super nice, no need to worry!

Hofstra's admissions office just told me that applicants who submit their secondary in October will receive equal consideration as those who submitted in the summer. In other words, October is not considered "late," and there is no penalty.

Was really pleased to hear this.

Hofstra's admissions office just told me that applicants who submit their secondary in October will receive equal consideration as those who submitted in the summer. In other words, October is not considered "late," and there is no penalty.

Was really pleased to hear this.

Any school will say that. They're rolling admissions, so it does matter.

well, its true for october only because Hofstra started looking at applications alot later than most schools do. If you apply in november-december, than you will def be considered late

Hofstra isn't totally rolling - I asked during my interview and was told that they will not begin deciding upon acceptances until January (at the earliest) so anyone interviewing before then will be fine :)

The number 800 was thrown around on this thread before and brought up during my interview day.

Someone from Hofstra said this? Wow. Feeling a little less special right now! :cool:

Worth a thought because I can't imagine they will get more than 2000-3000 completed applications.

Someone from Hofstra said this? Wow. Feeling a little less special right now! :cool:

Worth a thought because I can't imagine they will get more than 2000-3000 completed applications.

Well, I'd still take it with a grain of salt. Two different people mentioned two different time frames for decisions - one said January another February, and the website says December. New school so I guess it's a bit of figuring it out as they go along. ;)

how about this? don't worry about it. turn your app as soon as possible while making sure you have good answers. nuff said about who said this and that.

how about this? don't worry about it. turn your app as soon as possible while making sure you have good answers. nuff said about who said this and that.

Thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

According to their FAQ,

Do you give preference to in-state applicants?
No, we do not give preference to in-state applicants.

Who gives the interview? Dean? Assnt dean? Whos on interview committees?

Complete post-9/29
Interview on 12/3!
Anyone else on the same date?

Interview on 10/19, anyone else going to be there?

Interview on 10/19, anyone else going to be there?

I'm going to be there. I can't wait to see how admissions handles a tour of a new school. I think this is going to be a great school. See you tomorrow.

So, I was complete 8/31 and still no word. Safely assume that an interview isn't headed my way? Ahhh...med school.

Did anyone do the adversity essay? What is an example of an adverse event - any help appreciated

Who gives the interview? Dean? Assnt dean? Whos on interview committees?

You'll meet the Asst. Dean of Admissions and the Assoc. Deans of Education in the morning for a welcome/introduction, then you interview with faculty members. You'll have two faculty interviews that are approx. 45 minutes each and are one-on-one. One faculty interviewer will have your complete application including all grades & MCAT scores, the other will only have the parts of your AMCAS & secondary that relate to your experiences and your personal statements/essays. During lunch you'll meet the Dean of the SOM, Dr. Smith, and some other administrators and faculty. So you'll meet everyone but you'll interview with faculty. I have no idea who is on the committee that makes the final decisions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.