2010-2011 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
I am a Canadian citizen and was interested in applying to John Hopkins. I have a cGPA of ~3.75 and 32P on the MCAT. I also have a Master's degree in Medical Sciences. Based on previous years, do you think John Hopkins is a long shot for me? Is the class profile posted somewhere?
Thanks,
maadaputtar

Hi guys,
I am a Canadian citizen and was interested in applying to John Hopkins. I have a cGPA of ~3.75 and 32P on the MCAT. I also have a Master's degree in Medical Sciences. Based on previous years, do you think John Hopkins is a long shot for me? Is the class profile posted somewhere?
Thanks,
maadaputtar

Sounds like you have a great chance. Give it a try. You and I will compete because I'm also international and I really love Johns Hopkins. ;)

god i love this school - what an honor to apply!!!

Did anyone receive the secondary yet?

What are the questions?

got the invite, looks like the same essays as last years.

Got the secondary invite this AM...Looks like the same type of questions...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, looking at the JHU secondary....why do we have to put in so many things that we already put in the primary? I'm not complaining, I'm seriously just wondering--WHY do they want our school, gpa, and mcat info, and activity names, and awards? ALL of this is in the amcas application. Why do they want to duplicate that information (which is, in my opinion, better formatted in AMCAS anyway?)

Hey, looking at the JHU secondary....why do we have to put in so many things that we already put in the primary? I'm not complaining, I'm seriously just wondering--WHY do they want our school, gpa, and mcat info, and activity names, and awards? ALL of this is in the amcas application. Why do they want to duplicate that information (which is, in my opinion, better formatted in AMCAS anyway?)

Call and ask them.

Did everyone get this secondary? I haven't received it yet, even though from their website it looks like they definitely don't screen.

Did everyone get this secondary? I haven't received it yet, even though from their website it looks like they definitely don't screen.

All I got was an email inviting me to fill it out if I hadn't already.

I think you can go ahead and do it even if you didn't get the invite.

For the awards and honors, are you guys just listing your awards e.g.: Award A, Award B, Award C?

or

Are you guys actually putting descriptions. e.g.: I recieved Award A in February for blah blah blah.

The lack of hard returns makes me think they only want lists.

For the awards and honors, are you guys just listing your awards e.g.: Award A, Award B, Award C?

or

Are you guys actually putting descriptions. e.g.: I recieved Award A in February for blah blah blah.

I'm just listing them unless its a school specific award...
I wrote down descriptions on my primaries so I'm assuming they'll know what it is
... I am getting tired of rewriting all my awards/extra curriculars/etc :bang:

or

Just listing.

Does anyone understand the context of this prompt:
"If Applicable, describe a situation where you were not in the majority."
Does it only refer to actually being an URM or can we play with the topic enough to cover more broad interpretations? ... such as, I'm a female who worked in a male-dominated medical aid corps.

Does anyone understand the context of this prompt:
"If Applicable, describe a situation where you were not in the majority."
Does it only refer to actually being an URM or can we play with the topic enough to cover more broad interpretations? ... such as, I'm a female who worked in a male-dominated medical aid corps.

I think the question is referring to any situation in which you were a minority, not limited only to ethnicity. So your example would work.

Is it alright to submit the secondary application before receiving an actual invite from the school?

For the GPA calculations, are they based on the 4.0 scale that AMCAS uses or the 4.3 scale that my university transcript uses? Also, what types of classes are included in the science GPA and in the non-science GPA?

Last edited:
Any idea what to put for "stop date" for ongoing activities, employment, etc?

Any idea what to put for "stop date" for ongoing activities, employment, etc?

I just left it blank. I tried putting "present" but it requires a date or blank.

Is it strange I haven't received a secondary yet? Verified June 2.

jhu doesnt do things in order. you're applications won't even be marked complete in order. someone who submits 3 weeks later than you can be marked complete before you are.

just gotta be patient here.

does hopkins do any screening b4 secondaries?

I'm a second year undergrad, so I'm not applying this cycle. I know one of the school's requirements is 24 hours of humanties/social science. I'm on a quarter system, and will probably be short about 3 hours when I apply. Do you think I'll automatically get screened out? I defintely will have met the requirements prior to graduation. I just trying to judge whether I should take an extra class prior to applying or not.

I'm a second year undergrad, so I'm not applying this cycle. I know one of the school's requirements is 24 hours of humanties/social science. I'm on a quarter system, and will probably be short about 3 hours when I apply. Do you think I'll automatically get screened out? I defintely will have met the requirements prior to graduation. I just trying to judge whether I should take an extra class prior to applying or not.

Usually, the requirements are needed before matriculation. So as long as you get them taken care of before starting med school, you're good.

Has anyone submitted yet?

I went to verify everything via the pdf file you can download...and on the pdf it cut off part of one of my essays...though when I view it on the actual online application, it's all there.

Did anyone else have weird pdf issues?

Has anyone submitted yet?

I went to verify everything via the pdf file you can download...and on the pdf it cut off part of one of my essays...though when I view it on the actual online application, it's all there.

Did anyone else have weird pdf issues?

Yes! Half of the "interest in medicine" essay is cut off. stupid that they allow 1100 characters if they can't get it to fit in the little space they have!

If anyone has a solution, let us know, otherwise i'm going to call them tomorrow morning.

Yes! Half of the "interest in medicine" essay is cut off. stupid that they allow 1100 characters if they can't get it to fit in the little space they have!

If anyone has a solution, let us know, otherwise i'm going to call them tomorrow morning.

SAME!!! Only for that essay. Maybe it's just a problem with the pdf conversions...b/c a few other things got cut short on mine too (my major and a date range).

Let us know what they say when you call!

My pdf preview looked strange, but everything was fine in the online version, so I went ahead and submitted.

SAME!!! Only for that essay. Maybe it's just a problem with the pdf conversions...b/c a few other things got cut short on mine too (my major and a date range).

Let us know what they say when you call!

Alright, I called admissions and they were aware of the issue, but said that all the information is in there even though we can't see it when we print it out. She said that if I wanted to check that all my stuff was there specifically, that I could call Tech Support because only they can access it right now, but I took her word for it and submitted.

Also, she said they aren't starting to print them out until next week, which isn't relevant but is an interesting thing to know!

Good luck everyone! :luck:

Alright, I called admissions and they were aware of the issue, but said that all the information is in there even though we can't see it when we print it out. She said that if I wanted to check that all my stuff was there specifically, that I could call Tech Support because only they can access it right now, but I took her word for it and submitted.

Also, she said they aren't starting to print them out until next week, which isn't relevant but is an interesting thing to know!

Good luck everyone! :luck:

Isn't it relevant in that they def arent reviewing them till next week so we dont have to submit it until then (I have other secondaries moved up on my list now)?

Isn't it relevant in that they def arent reviewing them till next week so we dont have to submit it until then (I have other secondaries moved up on my list now)?

it might still go in the order of who was completed first though...maybe?

right, but theyd still review the first batch of printed apps for interview invites all at once...am i wrong?

Did anyone get the email about sending them a printed copy? The wording was kind of ambiguous and I was confused. If we do everything online, do we have to send them anything in the mail?

Thanks.

right, but theyd still review the first batch of printed apps for interview invites all at once...am i wrong?

Yeah I think that's right.

Did anyone get the email about sending them a printed copy? The wording was kind of ambiguous and I was confused. If we do everything online, do we have to send them anything in the mail?

Thanks.

I never got that email? Are we supposed to snail mail them the pdf after submitting online????

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriGoldForPres

Thanks.

Yes, I received that e-mail. I e-mailed the school and they assured me there was no longer a need to send in a printed out copy of the secondary.

I too had a problem with the "interest in medicine" essay getting cut off on the pdf. I was worried that if we had to mail in a printed copy that this essay would not be fully represented. However, in reading the technical support section, it tells you that as long as everything is in the online application fields, they will be able to see what you wrote.

Do we get an email when our app is complete? I just submitted my secondary and LOR today...and I can't seem to find a status page where you can see what they've received/processed.

they don't "complete" applications in order, meaning someone who turns in everything after you (even a month or so) can be marked complete and reviewed before you. i suposed they look at apps in order that are marked complete, but its irrelevant because they don't complete apps in order. and i wouldnt suggest calling about your app being complete unless you wanna get yelled at.

loua0731, you will receive an email when your app is complete (a magical date that you can't predict). i believe you also receive an email after they receive your paper secondary (apparently they no longer require this as stated above so maybe this year they will do things in order???)

Hi, just to be clear, do they not want any more targeted LORs if I already have a committee letter/packet?

I submitted AMCAS June 1 and was verified June 2. Still have not received a secondary. Should I call them?

Status
Not open for further replies.