You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 Johns Hopkins Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
seems like a lot of people have been offered waitlist offers.. does anyone know if the class is tentatively full yet or still some spots available?![]()
I know that the waitlist has about 200 people on it, and in the past two years there has been a drastic decrease in the number of people Hopkins takes from the waitlist (used to be ~50, less than 5 the past two years). I would guess, since a few people have said they were offered spots off the waitlist last week, that you could count the number of remaining spots on one hand.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
baltimore is cold too. i say go with the money!! to futuremdcna
Money is important, no argument there. Ultimately, however, you will have no problems paying back your loans, so do consider where you will enjoy spending the next four years.
So what is the general consensus on housing here? Are a lot of you living in Reed, Canton/Fells, or anyone going further out to Federal Hill or elsewhere? Is there a place people talk about finding housing? I figure they would give out our contact info to everyone in June sometime, but I'm just wondering before that what people are planning as of now..
So what is the general consensus on housing here? Are a lot of you living in Reed, Canton/Fells, or anyone going further out to Federal Hill or elsewhere? Is there a place people talk about finding housing? I figure they would give out our contact info to everyone in June sometime, but I'm just wondering before that what people are planning as of now..
I heard that most first-year students live in Reed Hall. I'm looking at places in Charles Village, Butcher's Hill, and Fells.
About 70% of med14 lives in Reed. The rest live mostly in Mt. Vernon and Fells.
Yeah I'm trying to find a place I might be able to stay for more than just a year... I'm looking in Fells and I think I should check out Mount Vernon..
Last edited:
I know that the waitlist has about 200 people on it, and in the past two years there has been a drastic decrease in the number of people Hopkins takes from the waitlist (used to be ~50, less than 5 the past two years). I would guess, since a few people have said they were offered spots off the waitlist last week, that you could count the number of remaining spots on one hand.
We are offering over 30 positions off of the waiting list this year, much of this was by design...
got the call this morning, so i guess it is moving!!! 😀
hey rjdmmfl, any idea if movement is still happening off the waitlist or is it over?
Obviously rjdmmfl will know better than me, but it seems like they are doing it like most other schools this year.. in that they had their initial wave from the waitlist about two weeks ago and gave everyone till June 1st to decide, and then are in the process of sending out a second, smaller wave to fill those that declined the first one and so on.
got the call this morning, so i guess it is moving!!! 😀
congrats happysmiles! what school were you originally going to?
The schools were I've been wait listed are tiers above where I've been flat out accepted. Is it time to lose hope?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We are offering over 30 positions off of the waiting list this year, much of this was by design...
Hey rjdmmfl, I saw where you said this was by design, and I am just wondering why ya'll did it that way this year. I was accepted off the waitlist and ultimately decided to turn it down because I already felt 100% sure that I would have a very positive and enjoyable experience at the school I had already committed too, whereas I felt I would be taking a chance by accepting at Hopkins because I was honestly only in Baltimore for 24 hours for my interview. I feel like had I been invited to second look weekend and experienced more of what Baltimore had to offer as a city, and meet some of the other people who would ultimately matriculate there, I would have been more likely to choose Hopkins. I obviously do not know this for sure, but I was just wondering why they would plan to take that many people off of the waitlist (and I am assuming that in doing so they just accepted less people??) instead of just accepting those students that were at the top of the waitlist and inviting them to Second Look. That's all! Thanks! 🙂
Hey rjdmmfl, I saw where you said this was by design, and I am just wondering why ya'll did it that way this year. I was accepted off the waitlist and ultimately decided to turn it down because I already felt 100% sure that I would have a very positive and enjoyable experience at the school I had already committed too, whereas I felt I would be taking a chance by accepting at Hopkins because I was honestly only in Baltimore for 24 hours for my interview. I feel like had I been invited to second look weekend and experienced more of what Baltimore had to offer as a city, and meet some of the other people who would ultimately matriculate there, I would have been more likely to choose Hopkins. I obviously do not know this for sure, but I was just wondering why they would plan to take that many people off of the waitlist (and I am assuming that in doing so they just accepted less people??) instead of just accepting those students that were at the top of the waitlist and inviting them to Second Look. That's all! Thanks! 🙂
Accepting 5 off the waitlist, which is how it went the past few years, is way too few. Puts you at the edge of overenrolling every year, which puts a lot of stress on the administration. 2 years ago was almost a complete disaster. So we underadmitted a bit. But you can never predict how this stuff works. It might be back to 5 next year, it might be 60.
Shame you didn't consider Hopkins, but I'm sure you're going to a great school. You'll be fine, we'll be fine, it all works out.
Accepting 5 off the waitlist, which is how it went the past few years, is way too few. Puts you at the edge of overenrolling every year, which puts a lot of stress on the administration. 2 years ago was almost a complete disaster. So we underadmitted a bit. But you can never predict how this stuff works. It might be back to 5 next year, it might be 60.
Shame you didn't consider Hopkins, but I'm sure you're going to a great school. You'll be fine, we'll be fine, it all works out.
couldn't have put it any better...
@kls5048 , best of luck at your chosen institution
@ students who accepted positions at Hopkins off of the list, Congratulations and looking forward to meeting some of you in a few months
@ all students who will be matriculating elsewhere, please know that your ability to become a leader in medicine and a great physician has more to do with your approach to learning medicine and less to do with the school at which you receive you initial medical training. RESIDENCY, in my opinion, will shape your career more than med school, so work hard so that you can go to a great residenct program. Best of luck to you all!
what about those on the waitlist. is there still hope?
until the first day of class, there is always hope!
what about those on the waitlist. is there still hope?
Yessir. Accepted this afternoon!
are you accepting the offer? how long do they give you to decide on?
Not sure yet. I have a week to figure it out.
Not sure yet. I have a week to figure it out.
Congrats! You should come... its gonna be a ridiculous amount of fun. Almost scary amounts. 😀
I'm in a very similar position to kls5048... got off the waitlist yesterday, have till Friday to decide, and I was 100% in love with the school I committed to in May. And I certainly never expected to hear from Hopkins! Any advice for someone who only saw Hopkins on interview day? I guess I'm interested to hear from people who were there for second visit... What are the students like?
We're awesome.
But seriously, post or PM any questions and we'll be happy to answer them. You can also come visit if you want by calling the admissions office.
But seriously, post or PM any questions and we'll be happy to answer them. You can also come visit if you want by calling the admissions office.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
