2010-2011 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"In order for your application to be considered complete, you will have to submit one pre-professional letter and an additional evaluation/recommendation letter. If your school does not issue a pre-professional letter, then you must submit 3 evaluation/recommendation letters. "

Does this mean I have to have to "submit" my LORs. I thought AMCAS does that for me? Sorry for the dumb question
 
Hey all,

I am scheduled for an interview on October 29th. Would anybody be interested in sharing a room. I am coming from DC. If you are form that area and wanted to split a car even better.

Do they have a service in which you can crash at a current students place. That would be ideal as I am from out of town.

If nothing else let me know if you are interviewing on the 29th. We can explore the Scranton area together.

Thank you! & I wish everyone the best in their application process.
 
Hi everyone! Can anyone please comment on the time it's taken, in general, from secondary submission to being marked as complete (e.g., letters rec'd, etc.)?

I'm sure timing changes as the application process moves farther along, so any recent experiences would be hugely appreciated.

Best wishes to all of you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! Can anyone please comment on the time it's taken, in general, from secondary submission to being marked as complete (e.g., letters rec'd, etc.)?

I'm sure timing changes as the application process moves farther along, so any recent experiences would be hugely appreciated.

Best wishes to all of you!

Hey man

I submitted 9/9 and still not complete. They said they're backed up. We'll see.
 
App received 9/17. App complete 9/23. App to screeners 9/27. INTERVIEW 9/29!!! I AM SO SHOCKED AND EXCITED!!! 🙂
 
App received 9/17. App complete 9/23. App to screeners 9/27. INTERVIEW 9/29!!! I AM SO SHOCKED AND EXCITED!!! 🙂


Why did I even bother submitting my app in July and being complete August 2 when it was just sent to screeners now... yet people who submitted in last september got sent right away? 🙁

Good luck on your interview none-the-less!
 
Why did I even bother submitting my app in July and being complete August 2 when it was just sent to screeners now... yet people who submitted in last september got sent right away? 🙁

Good luck on your interview none-the-less!

Same with me. Sent to screeners a few weeks ago, still nothing.
 
Hey man

I submitted 9/9 and still not complete. They said they're backed up. We'll see.




Yea they told me the same thing when i called about a week ago so i sent an email today and finally received a complete email. Im prayerful for some even better news soon.
 
Anyone know about AVP? What about student hosting? I will be flying in from LAX. Thanks!!!

I'm interviewing on Oct. 15, even though I got my invite mid-September. I chose such a late date because it's SO difficult to find a good way to get to Wilkes-Barre from LAX. I will have to switch planes in Chicago as there are no direct flights. My total travel time will be like 9 hours because of that 😡

I didn't hear anything about student hosting, but I'd guess they haven't started that yet since they don't have all that many students. I'll be staying at the Scranton Hilton, though, which looks pretty darn close to the interview spot.
 
Why did I even bother submitting my app in July and being complete August 2 when it was just sent to screeners now... yet people who submitted in last september got sent right away? 🙁

Good luck on your interview none-the-less!


same situation here and still not sent to screeners. 😱
 
I'm interviewing on Oct. 15, even though I got my invite mid-September. I chose such a late date because it's SO difficult to find a good way to get to Wilkes-Barre from LAX. I will have to switch planes in Chicago as there are no direct flights. My total travel time will be like 9 hours because of that 😡

I didn't hear anything about student hosting, but I'd guess they haven't started that yet since they don't have all that many students. I'll be staying at the Scranton Hilton, though, which looks pretty darn close to the interview spot.

I know, the flights are terrible, right?! Grr...I am flying there Thursday and coming back Saturday!!! I guess I have to book two nights at a hotel. 😡. SUPER HAPPY to interview though. Good luck. 🙂
 
finally submitted my secondary! this is definitely one of my top choices ... i guess the waiting game begins now. good luck everyone!:xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since nobody has interviewed or will cooperate, here's an interview report from last year's thread...

"one interview, two interviewers, very conversational, about one hour long. They don't have my application in front of them (at least true in my case) but they somehow know everything in my application. They asked me about my only C and some red-flags in my application. Interviews are only offered on Fridays and you will literally spend about 5-6 hours in there. Most, if not all of us, have our questions answered during the interview and informative sessions. So interviewees are encouraged to come up with a list of questions.

They're currently building this new medical center about two blocks away which I think is awesome. There will be two new buildings which will eventually be connected, but, in the meanwhile, medical school will be housed in the first and the third floor of a building that used to be a high school. Second floor is for underg. students. I personally think that they did an awesome job with the limited space that they have. Students seem very happy and locals are very supportive and the rent is cheap. You would pretty much encounter many ADcom members during your interview and it seems like they work hard to make TCMC successful.

Statistically speaking, they will offer upwards from 400 interviews, possibly ~200 accpetances, and 60-65 new matriculants."
 
The interview with two faculties turned out a lot more casual than I had anticipated. This goes for most of the others who were there with me. They ask about information from my personal statement, so it is not blind. One faculty being science background makes it important you know what you have been researching! for those who dont lol. For the most part, dont be nervous because they have been "trained" to be welcoming and etc. Apparently the interviewers had to sit through some how-to-interview session. Overall, great environment and I loved the aspect that were displayed during the interview.
The new building is suppose to be ready for the next class ^^ looks spacious. nothing beats new facilities.
 
The interview with two faculties turned out a lot more casual than I had anticipated. This goes for most of the others who were there with me. They ask about information from my personal statement, so it is not blind. One faculty being science background makes it important you know what you have been researching! for those who dont lol. For the most part, dont be nervous because they have been "trained" to be welcoming and etc. Apparently the interviewers had to sit through some how-to-interview session. Overall, great environment and I loved the aspect that were displayed during the interview.
The new building is suppose to be ready for the next class ^^ looks spacious. nothing beats new facilities.

Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to checking this place out.
 
ah so i am really confused.. i sent my application, secondary and fee but it still doesn't say that they have received my recommendation, which was made available by my premedical advisor - should i email them asking them whatsup .. i only sent my payment in last night, should I wait a little bit? did anyone else experience a buffer time between payment and secondary submission and their application being complete?
 
Going to be there 11/12. If anyone wants to meet for dinner or coffee on 11/11, that would be awesome. PM if you'll be around in late evening/early night. I want to be in bed by 10:00 p.m. Interview at 8:00 a.m.!
 
Good luck to all with interviews and those hoping for one. I'm interviewing this Friday (10/15) and will be around on Thursday to explore the area. If anyone else will be around, feel free to shoot me a pm and we could grab a bite to eat somewhere.
 
It's online. It's weird too because it states that the supplemental is pre-populated with some information from AMCAS (like our name and email address), but when I access the site, my name does not show up in the "Name" field and I am unable to type anything in that field.

I'm having this problem now. Can you tell me how you sorted it out?

EDIT: OK, I had to click on "Start new application" rather than "Saved"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck to all with interviews and those hoping for one. I'm interviewing this Friday (10/15) and will be around on Thursday to explore the area. If anyone else will be around, feel free to shoot me a pm and we could grab a bite to eat somewhere.

I'm interviewing this Friday too! I'm really excited to check this place out 🙂 I'm getting in pretty late on Thursday, but I'll see you at TCMC!
 
The interviews were very conversational and not confrontational at all. The hilton and radisson are very close to the campus. The construction sites were pretty neat
 
hey guys how did you get from the scranton AVP airport to campus/hotels nearby? tabasco, how long did you stay in scranton?
 
hey guys how did you get from the scranton AVP airport to campus/hotels nearby? tabasco, how long did you stay in scranton?

you can take a shuttle from avp to the hilton for 5 bucks. i believe it runs every hour. i think radisson offers a shuttle as well. its about a 20 min drive. you can always get a taxi but that is 40 dollars. I stayed in scranton for 2 days (slept in the airport to save money)
 
you can take a shuttle from avp to the hilton for 5 bucks. i believe it runs every hour. i think radisson offers a shuttle as well. its about a 20 min drive. you can always get a taxi but that is 40 dollars. I stayed in scranton for 2 days (slept in the airport to save money)

Hi Tabasco! How did you find the shuttle that took you to the Hilton for $5? Was it just in the hotel shuttle area, or did you have to call the Hilton?

Thanks! 🙂
 
Hi Tabasco! How did you find the shuttle that took you to the Hilton for $5? Was it just in the hotel shuttle area, or did you have to call the Hilton?

Thanks! 🙂

i took the taxi to the hilton (i didnt know about the shuttle till my return trip) but im sure if you ask the airport administrators they will direct you
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
finally submitted my secondary! this is definitely one of my top choices ... i guess the waiting game begins now. good luck everyone!:xf:

How'd you get your secondary to submit?? Mine says "name not filled in" and won't let me submit.
 
I am interviewing on the 29th. I would be interested in sharing a room with someone to drive cost down. I will also have a car so we could explore the area together.

Thank you
 
How long did it tend to take for Completed apps to be Sent to Screeners? I am not enjoying this wait.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.