2010-2011 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi future/possible-future M1 students! I'm a P1 living on campus and planning to move off campus for the next school year. I think living with other pharmacy students will drive me crazy so I'm looking for a possible medical student as a roommate. I've been looking at apartments in the Shockoe area which is a 10-15 min walk to campus. So far its looking like rent+utilities will run about $700-800 a month per person for a 2 bedroom.

Oh yah I'm a guy so preferable another guy so its not all compliated. So if anybody is interested send me a message on here.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected! 38R, 3.6GPA, research, working in clinic (did list punching babies as an activity though...). Does anyone know how willing they are to give feedback, because it looks like I'll have to re-apply next year?

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted, and good luck to all those waitlisted (who aren't just taking spaces :D)!

Get in touch with Shenia Tyler in the admissions office and she can help you schedule a counseling session (conducted either in-person or over the phone).

-ph8

Hello future M1s who may be looking for housing. I am a second-year female medical student. My current roommate will be graduating in May, so I am looking for a female nonsmoking roommate for the 2011-2012 school year (and possibly beyond).

My 2ba/2br apartment is in Shockoe Commons, located on 13th and E Main. You will get your own bedroom and full bathroom. The apartment is very spacious and has lots of windows, so that it is sunny and gorgeous during the day. There is a washer/dryer in the unit and a gym within the building. Best of all, it is only 3 blocks from the MCV campus (7-minute walk to class). Rent is $600 per month and includes cable. Other utilities (water, electricity, trash, Internet) are split evenly and average out to $55/month/person depending on the season. The apartment will be available for move-in starting in late May or June, although I am also game for finding a subletter if you need to move in later.

As for me, I am tidy and considerate. I do not throw parties inside the apartment and do not have pets. I will be busy doing rotations next year so I won't bother you much, but I hope to be friends with whoever my roommate will be (I can even offer med school advice and study resources if you want it!). If interested, please message me on here. Thanks!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if VCU allows switching of OOS tuition to in-state tuition after the first year?

Thanks.

Does anyone know if VCU allows switching of OOS tuition to in-state tuition after the first year?

Thanks.

From what I understand you have to present clear and convincing evidence that you're not residing in the state primarily to attend school.

I would give the office a ring to ask.

I was wondering if anyone asked if their priority score got off the wait list last year?

I haven't had any luck getting an idea about where I stand from Dr. WC. Maybe it's too early? Anyone else?

I haven't had any luck getting an idea about where I stand from Dr. WC. Maybe it's too early? Anyone else?

I emailed her back in February. She's a little vague about telling you where you stand, but she did tell me that "as an OOS I was not in a bad position to get accepted in the March batch or off the waitlist after April."

Thanks for sharing. Has anyone got any feedback on the IS list?

A couple days after may 15 would be better to ask about your priority score getting off the waitlist. It is hard for the admissions office to gauge the waitlist movement beforehand. Until then it doesn't hurt to continue to show interest in the school and to send update letters. Good luck to all those waiting.

I was under the impression that update letters wouldn't affect our positions on the list?

Also, as doremi mentioned, would we be able to get a rough idea of how our scores match up to commonly accepted ones if we contact them even now? Anyone else get similar info?

I was under the impression that update letters wouldn't affect our positions on the list?

Also, as doremi mentioned, would we be able to get a rough idea of how our scores match up to commonly accepted ones if we contact them even now? Anyone else get similar info?

I emailed Dr. WC on 3/23 to see if she'd give me a rough idea as to where I stand. She said it's too early to tell and asked me to email her again in a couple of weeks.

can anyone post or PM me her email. i tried the one on the website, but the email bounced back

edit: nevermind i got it

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Dr. WC on 3/23 to see if she'd give me a rough idea as to where I stand. She said it's too early to tell and asked me to email her again in a couple of weeks.

+1. Dr. WC mentioned everything was contingent on accepted folks withdrawing and said June would be when she could better tell where we stand.

ALSO, does anyone know where to send our update letters??? I don't want to bother Dr. WC, so is there anyone who's sent an update and received a reply? I know the update may not help, but I doubt it'd hurt to send it. :)

+1. Dr. WC mentioned everything was contingent on accepted folks withdrawing and said June would be when she could better tell where we stand.

ALSO, does anyone know where to send our update letters??? I don't want to bother Dr. WC, so is there anyone who's sent an update and received a reply? I know the update may not help, but I doubt it'd hurt to send it. :)

You can just e-mail it to the admissions e-mail: [email protected]
Just FYI though, they don't e-mail you back saying they got it so you'll have to call to make sure. That's what I had to do a couple months back.

Accepted of the WL (IS)!!!!! As I have been a regular visitor of this thread for the past 8 months, I want to thank everyone for posting all your replies, they were really helpful!
Question: Is there something like a "Second look", when accepted students can go and see the school? I was trying to find info about it on the website, but could not. Am I too late for this?
Good luck :luck: to everyone who is still waiting! I hope you will be my classmates next year!!!

congrats! wow im pumped the waitlist is already moving...lets go OOS waitlist haha

got my acceptance email today. OOS. Very excited.

ACCEPTED today!!! OOS. so excited! This board has been a great encouragement and help to me throughout this process. Thank you!

So it looks like the acceptances off the waitlist thus far have been 5:1 OOS:IS...how sick is it that I would be better off being an OOSer on the waitlist at my own STATE school? :( .

Would anyone mind sharing stats? I'm especially curious about ISers that are getting accepted...obviously...

PM me if you're shy? PLEASE?

So it looks like the acceptances off the waitlist thus far have been 5:1 OOS:IS...how sick is it that I would be better off being an OOSer on the waitlist at my own STATE school? :( .

Would anyone mind sharing stats? I'm especially curious about ISers that are getting accepted...obviously...

Sure! I am not shy! :) However, bear in mind, I am quite a non-traditional student, so that might have helped. MCAT 28 (not great, I know), GPA: 3.81, 3 years of clinical experience, 1 year of undegrad research.

I was trying to find the group for VCU-SOM 2015 and could not. Is there one?

Accepted yesterday! This is my first acceptance. I had resigned myself to the idea that I wasn't going to get in anywhere and was looking forward to another year of earning income/living a somewhat easier life. Ahhh decisions.

Stats: In-state (Northern Virginia), Post-Bacc Pre-med. MCAT: 32Q, 3.48 overall GPA, 3.75 Science GPA. A year of clinical experience in a low-income community, plus now a year of research experience + 2nd or 3rd author on some papers. This was by far the worst interview I had (my interviewer slyly suggested that I wait another year) and my stats are iffy, so I'm somewhat surprised.

32 MCAT, 3.7 GPA. Went to grad school at MCV. Years of research experience.

In case anyone's having a heart attack like me :scared: and unable to login to the status website, I called and they said the website is down and not that we've been rejected. (WHEW!)

Hopefully more of us WLsters will get accepted in the coming days/weeks/...or months. :)

The ratio of acceptances on SDN does not necessarily correlate to the real-world ratio, you know.

Do you have something else to go on?

I was told at my interview that they have an OOS list and an IS list. Roughly 50/50. The interviewer also told me that if an OOS applicant drops, they will accept another OOS. If an IS applicant drops then they accept an IS. It only makes sense that the IS list will not move as much. IS applicants are more likely to stay IS, while OOS applicants could end up preferring to go elsewhere.

I was told at my interview that they have an OOS list and an IS list. Roughly 50/50. The interviewer also told me that if an OOS applicant drops, they will accept another OOS. If an IS applicant drops then they accept an IS. It only makes sense that the IS list will not move as much. IS applicants are more likely to stay IS, while OOS applicants could end up preferring to go elsewhere.

This.

Also, with regards to what I said previously, a lot of people forget that SDN is a very small niche of people who often do represent the majority. Extrapolating "data" (I use that word loosely because posts on SDN are not always factual and make for an very small N) from SDN to the entire applicant pool can potentially lead to some very erroneous conclusions. Just head over to the MCAT forum if you need proof of that.

sloan7 by my count only 2 oos applicants have reported coming off the waitlist. where did you get the number 5?

I got the same response. I feel like this means we're somewhere near the middle of the list...crap.

does anyone know how I can access the academic calendar for M1 next year? im going to be the best man for a wedding in october, and it would be great to know our tentative exam dates are.

I got the same response. I feel like this means we're somewhere near the middle of the list...crap.

I also received a similar response. Dr. MWC said that [FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'][FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]once May 15th passes the list will look very different. If I have not heard by then, please email her again around June 1..

I think it might be a generic answer for everyone who sent her an e-mail asking about their status on the alternate list.

I also received a similar response. Dr. MWC said that [FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif'][FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]once May 15th passes the list will look very different. If I have not heard by then, please email her again around June 1..

I think it might be a generic answer for everyone who sent her an e-mail asking about their status on the alternate list.
+1

Long time lurker, first time poster. Received a very similar response yesterday when I emailed Dr. MWC as well.

Does anyone know if VCU is generous with scholarship money? The out of state cost of attendance is ridonkulous.

+1

Long time lurker, first time poster. Received a very similar response yesterday when I emailed Dr. MWC as well.

+1
I was glancing at last year's thread and it seems like responses were a little less vague. Things like "we got to your priority score/place on the alternate list last year"... I wonder why this practice has changed?

They haven't given any specifics because it won't be until after tomorrow that everyone responds on whether they want to be on the alternate list or not. I am sure after this week they will have a better idea.

I don't think I've seen this asked or mentioned here, but I thought I'd pass along some information I found out today. I spoke with someone from the financial aid office over the phone and was told that financial aid offers are to go out sometime in June.

Seems kind of late to me, no?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what email address should I use to get in contact with Dr. WC?

Rejected! 38R, 3.6GPA, research, working in clinic (did list punching babies as an activity though...). Does anyone know how willing they are to give feedback, because it looks like I'll have to re-apply next year?

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted, and good luck to all those waitlisted (who aren't just taking spaces :D)!

Oh, man, I feel for you bro. I hope you don't have to reapply, you got a rockin app. Keep fightin the good fight!

How long did it take you all to get a reply from Dr. Whitehurst-Cook?

Once, she emailed back the same evening. Another time, she replied after 5 days. I'd say email her again if you haven't heard anything for over a week.

Hey guys! Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm a current M2 and I'm looking for someone who can move into my apartment over the summer. My significant other is moving to Richmond and we will be living together so I no longer need my apartment, but I can't get out of my lease until they find another tenant. It's a 1 BR / 1 BA apartment that's about a 8-minute walk to campus. The rent I pay is only $525/month, although the company I rent from may increase it by $10-15 for the new tenant.

If you're at all interested, please send me a message on here. Congratulations and I look forward to meeting you all next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.