2010-2011 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Any news from the instate list?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, congrats to everyone accepted. I am a current M2 at VCU/MCV and just wanted to give a shout out to anyone looking for housing next year. I have a huge house on the edge of the Fan shared with other medical students. I'm staying and have two extra rooms. Rent is 500.00 + utilities. It is 8 min from school and is in the best neighborhood in Richmond. Call or Email me at [email protected] 801-540-5754

Members don't see this ad :)
will be withdrawing unless some miracle money comes through, does anyone know if they are sending out financial aid info before may 15th?

will be withdrawing unless some miracle money comes through, does anyone know if they are sending out financial aid info before may 15th?

When I called them about a week ago they said offers would go out in June :rolleyes:

When I called them about a week ago they said offers would go out in June :rolleyes:

Thats fair. It gives the people who come in off the waitlist a chance to get some aid. I hate it when its a first come first serve basis like some schools.

Been pretty silent for a while... maybe they are waiting for the 15th?

Looks like the waitlist might not be moving like it was in the last 2 years per SDN, wonder if this is accurate/same at other schools...

Looks like the waitlist might not be moving like it was in the last 2 years per SDN, wonder if this is accurate/same at other schools...

one interesting thing to note is that last year at this time (5-4-10) this message board was on page 50. currently we are only on page 30, so it looks like there is significantly less "chatter" for some reason this year. not sure what to read into this or how this might be impacting the movement of the alternate list.

For anyone who has gotten in off of the waitlist, or I guess just anybody else who knows, do they email you with an updated status if you get in this way, or do they send a letter in the mail or what? I'm assuming they email you like a regular acceptance. Do you know if it's generally at 6 pm EST or can it be any time of day?

For anyone who has gotten in off of the waitlist, or I guess just anybody else who knows, do they email you with an updated status if you get in this way, or do they send a letter in the mail or what? I'm assuming they email you like a regular acceptance. Do you know if it's generally at 6 pm EST or can it be any time of day?

I got a status update a few days after May 15th around 6pm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, congrats to everyone accepted. I am a M4 about to leave for residency. I have a townhouse for rent for incoming students.

The townhouse is located at 25th street and East Franklin Street. It is a very quiet and safe area, within walking distance to a grocery store and CVS.

-about 1350 square feet
-3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths
-Hardwood floors throughout
-Kitchen with central island
-Small dining area and large living room
-Large built-in bookshelves in living room
-15 min walk to VCU, with a bus stop 3 blocks away
-Cable and wireless internet already established and included in rent
-Washer/dryer in basement
-Central A/C and heat pump - replaced 1 year ago
-Working fireplace
-Small fenced-in backyard
-Spacious attic for storage
-One designated parking lot space but street parking never a problem
-Monthly cleaning service free of charge
-Outdoor maintenance taken care of by homeowner association

-Rent would be $1500 for 3 people
-Utilities (electric, water, trash) comes to about $200 total

Email me at [email protected] for pictures

Hey everyone, congrats to everyone accepted. I am a M4 about to leave for residency. I have a townhouse for rent for incoming students.

The townhouse is located at 25th street and East Franklin Street. It is a very quiet and safe area, within walking distance to a grocery store and CVS.

-about 1350 square feet
-3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths
-Hardwood floors throughout
-Kitchen with central island
-Small dining area and large living room
-Large built-in bookshelves in living room
-15 min walk to VCU, with a bus stop 3 blocks away
-Cable and wireless internet already established and included in rent
-Washer/dryer in basement
-Central A/C and heat pump - replaced 1 year ago
-Working fireplace

So I just got a status update, logged in, and it says it is confirming receipt of my payment for matriculation. However, I never got an initial acceptance notification (I'm on the waitlist) Does anyone know if this IS the appeptance status or a mistake?

My friend just received the same message today. Is the military paying for your tuition because they are hers so I assume they paid it but she had no idea until this confirmation of payment message came through. There is no way they can take it back! You have to be in! Congratulations!!!!!

This is to acknowledge the $100.00 covering your deposit on tuition for August 2011 matriculation. Your credit card statement or cancelled check will serve as your receipt. We have made the proper reservation of a place for you and are looking forward to having you with us.

...this is what my status says. Can anyway verify this is what the acceptance/acceptance off waitlist update says? im kinda dying here...

This is to acknowledge the $100.00 covering your deposit on tuition for August 2011 matriculation. Your credit card statement or cancelled check will serve as your receipt. We have made the proper reservation of a place for you and are looking forward to having you with us.

...this is what my status says. Can anyway verify this is what the acceptance/acceptance off waitlist update says? im kinda dying here...

I received the same message. I immediately sent a message to the admissions office through the "Help" button on the application status page.

It seems to me that they may have sent the wrong message to us; seeing that multiple people received the response, I feel that it wasn't a complete mistake (i.e. sending an acceptance to someone who was not supposed to be accepted), but rather they sent the the wrong message to everyone who was supposed to be accepted (speculating of course).

Unless this is the message they send to everyone that is accepted and we hear confirmation from someone on here who was accepted earlier than us, I suppose we have to wait until tomorrow (assuming the admissions office responds to my message) to find out.

If anyone could shed some light that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :)

Its weird because I have icons to pay the fee to hold my seat and all the matriculation info icons. It would be soo sad if this was a mistake = (

i got the same message!! i hope that means i'm in because i already paid the $100!! haha

YAY!

i too thought it was weird that it didn't say something like "congratulations! you've been accepted." but vcu's gotta be different.

After I paid the deposit, the bottom two paragraphs with links to the Orientation dissapeared...anyone know how I can access them again?

Congrats guys! I was hoping I was one of the lucky surprise ones too but my status page has remained the same :(

Congrats to those accepted off the WL yesterday/today!

Were you guys/gals IS or OOS?

After messaging the admissions office yesterday upon receiving that message, I woke up this morning to find that, in fact, the message meant we had been accepted!!

Congrats to everyone that was accepted!!

Congrats everyone!! To those waiting, fingers crossed, and I hope to see you guys next year!!!

Btw, I'm OOS and male

The bulk of the wait list moves around May 15th and abruptly slows around June 14th from what I've heard several admission committee members say. And since they said last years wait list moved very slowly, maybe we'll have better luck this year?

Keep those fingers crossed guys!

Does anyone know if you can still fill out financial aid and need access forms if you were just recently accepted? Any idea where I can find these forms?

Can any current VCU students (or well-informed applicant/thread follower) comment on the typical daily/weekly schedule of students during the first two years? In particular, what time does the day typically start, when does it end, what type of learning setting is utilized at particular times of the day (lecture, small group, other), what day of the week are tests taken on, how frequent are exams (I know this will vary with each course, but on average), etc.? Also, are courses both audio and video recorded?

Additionally, during the first two years, are courses generally taken one at a time, or are they overlapping? I am trying to get a feel for the number of subjects I would be focusing on at one particular time.

Finally, can someone comment on the how VCU helps prepare you for the USMLE Step 1 and how much time students are provided to prepare for it.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!! :)

Has anyone emailed Dr. WC within the last month? And if you did, how long did it take her to reply? I have emailed her twice since April 15th but haven't gotten a reply yet. I'm afraid if I email her again, she might think I'm pestering her.

Has anyone emailed Dr. WC within the last month? And if you did, how long did it take her to reply? I have emailed her twice since April 15th but haven't gotten a reply yet. I'm afraid if I email her again, she might think I'm pestering her.

I emailed her in early April and she replied on the same day. I think she might have missed your email? I think it doesn't hurt to ask again.

Congrats to those who have been accepted! Hopefully, I will hear some positive news in a few weeks. :xf:

Can any current VCU students (or well-informed applicant/thread follower) comment on the typical daily/weekly schedule of students during the first two years? In particular, what time does the day typically start, when does it end, what type of learning setting is utilized at particular times of the day (lecture, small group, other), what day of the week are tests taken on, how frequent are exams (I know this will vary with each course, but on average), etc.? Also, are courses both audio and video recorded?

Additionally, during the first two years, are courses generally taken one at a time, or are they overlapping? I am trying to get a feel for the number of subjects I would be focusing on at one particular time.

Finally, can someone comment on the how VCU helps prepare you for the USMLE Step 1 and how much time students are provided to prepare for it.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!! :)

Here is how the day usually is. Class usually starts at 8a.m. and ends at noon. Sometimes you got clinic or clinical training in the afternoon, but that is once every week. You don't necessarily have to go to class since classes are recorded audio and visual, so you can make your own schedule if so desired.

First year, we usually take multiple courses at a time, maybe 2-3. Anatomy you take only by itself and same with neurology. Exams are usually every 2-3 weeks; so we don't have any finals. Just lots of exams.

The 2nd year is more like you take one course at a time. It's all clinical and not basic sciences. They also happen in the morning. You basically have one exam per subject, then you move on to the next one. As the 2nd year progresses, you also have USMLE Step 1 review sessions for the material. You also have a person at the school (not sure who it is right now, it used to be Dr. Constanzo) that sets a study schedule for you. From what I understand, people that follow the schedule usually pass the USMLE Step 1's.

Did everyone get an enews email from VCU this AM? I'm on the waitlist, and this is my second year applying here. I've never got anything like this from the Alumni Office before. Just wondering if this is a sign of anything to come, of if everyone who applied got it.

Did everyone get an enews email from VCU this AM? I'm on the waitlist, and this is my second year applying here. I've never got anything like this from the Alumni Office before. Just wondering if this is a sign of anything to come, of if everyone who applied got it.

I got it. Also on the WL.

I'd call and ask, maybe they can tell you something/you will be expressing interest

I guess enough people called and asked about this... just got another email saying it has nothing to do with admissions. LOL.

Joshua Quinn ripped out my heart and shattered it in a million pieces this morning :(

Withdrew yesterday IS. Good luck to everyone waiting! VCU is an amazing place! (I would know, I was in the ER til 5 am this morning!)

Withdrew yesterday IS. Good luck to everyone waiting! VCU is an amazing place! (I would know, I was in the ER til 5 am this morning!)

Accepted this evening! IS, female. Thank you Neurokidd!

Status
Not open for further replies.