2011-2012 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooo... mail came today... it was a big envelope.... :DACCEPTANCE!!!!:D

No idea what happened with the email yesterday, but whatever, I have the letter in hand saying I'm in. Woo hooooo!!!!

:soexcited:

We don't have to move!

We don't have to pull the kids out of school!

I get to go to an awesome school! With awesome people! In an awesome town!

Can you tell I'm excited? :D

Good luck to the rest of you!

Members don't see this ad.

soooo... Mail came today... It was a big envelope.... :hungover:acceptance!!!!:hungover:

no idea what happened with the email yesterday, but whatever, i have the letter in hand saying i'm in. Woo hooooo!!!!

We don't have to move!

Can you tell i'm excited? :hungover:

good luck to the rest of you!

awesome

No idea what happened with the email yesterday, but whatever, I have the letter in hand saying I'm in. Woo hooooo!!!!

We don't have to move!

Congratulations!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

We don't have to move!

BIG Congratulations!

We don't have to move!

Congrats. Made me smile with your excitement.

We don't have to move!

Straight up AWESOME!!! Huge congrats!

We don't have to move!

Awesome!

We don't have to move!

I am so happy to hear this. CONGRATS!!!

Bleh. Still waiting.

The first non-EDP interviews are this coming Friday, I believe. They continue interviewing into February or March - this is one of those schools where it usually pays to get your stuff in early but where you may also have to be incredibly patient.

Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
The first non-EDP interviews are this coming Friday, I believe. They continue interviewing into February or March - this is one of those schools where it usually pays to get your stuff in early but where you may also have to be incredibly patient.

Good luck to you!

CONGRATULATIONS!! :love:

We don't have to move!

Yay! Congratulations. :thumbup:

i would REALLY love to get the pooled email.. it has been almost two months for me. good to hear others are getting pooled after two months it means I still have hope!

does anyone have an idea of what the lowest stats mcw has accepted students with in the past?

what does EDP stand for. Sorry for asking. I am new to this application process

have not been small pooled yet, been 2+ months

Just a quick message, if you are applying for MD-PhD program in this school, you will have to wait till late October to receive an update on whether to be offered an interview either MSTP or MD-only no matter when you got small-pooled.

don't fret guys. i was complete at the end of july and finally got small pooled yesterday.

How do you find out, if you have been pooled? Thanks

Small pooled.

...How did I not know this school used a 5-point grading scale? :scared:
Because it's a sneaky 5-point.

To the current student lurkers - do you feel like MCW is as cutthroat as is often associated with 5-point systems (versus P/F ones)? I've always gotten the impression that it's pretty laid back for a graded school.

To the current student lurkers - do you feel like MCW is as cutthroat as is often associated with 5-point systems (versus P/F ones)? I've always gotten the impression that it's pretty laid back for a graded school.

It is pretty laid back. There is a five point grading system but it's not graded on a curve. There are set percentages at the beginning of each course. For example, I think out of ~170 people, about 150 honored the three week genetics class at the beginning of M1.

Last edited:
Small pooled today! Finally! Complete 8/4. 33Q/3.75 c&s

Yeah, in my opinion MCW is definitely not a cut-throat "stress" school. I believe all our class averages have been "High Pass". It's normal to have final class averages ~85% when "Honors" is 90%. I can't even say that about most of my biology classes in undergrad. Haha.

BTW, good luck to all the upcoming interviewees. Let me know what questions you have before the big day!

I hope they send interview invites tomorrow. This pool is great, but I've been hanging in it for over a month now, and I'm beginning to get pruney. :p

I apologize to anyone who is allergic to puns.

Would you rather not be small pooled?

Well, I'd rather have a interview invite...

This 'waitlist for the interview' is very odd and, it seems to be, not entirely promising. I'd still love to go here...I just hope they want me!

i was complete at around september 6 and got the pool email today

Well, I'd rather have a interview invite...

This 'waitlist for the interview' is very odd and, it seems to be, not entirely promising. I'd still love to go here...I just hope they want me!

I guess your waitlist analogy is not terrible, but it suffers from the fact that pretty much everyone must be placed in the pool prior to receiving an interview (there are probably a few exceptions where people were offered the interview outright). I like the small pool because it shows that they are really taking the time to examine applicants.

No one should expect to be given an interview immediately based on stats. There are a lot of people who would make great doctors that do not have the most competitive numbers. The goal is to produce a population of promising doctors, and this involves examining a lot of other factors besides GPA and MCAT. If they were to plug all of us into an algorithm based only on GPA and MCAT, and that was the only factor that decided interviews, we would have answers quickly, but it would probably yield a bad population of doctors.

My point is, they are considering all of us very carefully, and I appreciate the fact that they aren't blindly selecting the best numbers. They are pooling numbers they consider strong, and then examining factors that matter a little bit more.

I hope this viewpoint at least makes you more confident in their system even if you dislike it.

Interview invite today! Alright, looking forward to MCW.

Status
Not open for further replies.