2011-2012 Medical College of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any insight as to why the rankings for MCW dropped so much? I know rankings arent everything, but I am worried because I only have a couple of weeks before I choose my school
MCW has always hovered around #50. I wouldn't put much stock in some annual fluctuation.

Members don't see this ad.

any first-quartilers get accepted yet? come onnnnnn second quartile!!! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
1st quartile. I wonder when they will start making these phone calls. Good luck everyone!

any first quartile waitlisters who don't plan to attend if accepted? :D just wondering..

Just talked to the admissions staff. Offers will begin next week for wait listers at the earliest and there has been no movement on the wait list.

I believe "no movement on the waitlist" means that no one has been accepted off of the waitlist yet. The op stated that they will start working through the waitlist next week.

What does "no movement on the wait list" mean?
i think it just means they havent started making offers yet. I DONT think it means that there are no spots to give, if you're thinking like me thats what my pessimistic side immediately jumped to but I just extremely doubt thats what she meant

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it just means they havent started making offers yet. I DONT think it means that there are no spots to give, if you're thinking like me thats what my pessimistic side immediately jumped to but I just extremely doubt thats what she meant

That's exactly what my paranoid/pessimistic side jumped to, lol. And the waiting continues...

Ya I don't know why they are waiting either. It seems like other schools have already started giving out offers to wait list students.

I think it has to do with the fact that they have graduation this week, so they will start giving offers next week.

yes, if you have called thursday or friday you'll see that the office is out for commencement.

I chatted with the admissions staff today and they said no offers have been made yet. They also revealed that a new wait list will be released this week.

I chatted with the admissions staff today and they said no offers have been made yet. They also revealed that a new wait list will be released this week.
WHAT? what does this mean??? elaborate!!!

Please

Last edited:
Got the call today around 1 PM. Accepted off of the waitlist. Interviewed 3/2 1st quartile.

I assume this means that the waitlist is moving.

so I called and was told that they made offers to 6 people today.. I asked if they could tell me how many spots were open after the May 15th deadline (I figured the answer was no, but might as well try ;)) and the person repeated the same sentence about offering 6 people spots... so... I'm getting ready to reapply.

WHAT? what does this mean??? elaborate!!!

Please

All they told me was that there is a new wait list. I guess there has been movement and according to a previous post they are now offering acceptances.

All they told me was that there is a new wait list. I guess there has been movement and according to a previous post they are now offering acceptances.

I called today and was told that a new wait list will be out later this week/by next week. It will not however benefit those that are already in the first quartile, I guess it is created to move people up in place of those on the wait list that don't take the offer in terms of the number of spots that open up.

I called today and was told that a new wait list will be out later this week/by next week. It will not however benefit those that are already in the first quartile, I guess it is created to move people up in place of those on the wait list that don't take the offer in terms of the number of spots that open up.
my brain's not functioning. when they say a "new waitlist" they just mean that the second quartile may become the "first" as people turn down offers? when i heard "new" waitlist i imagined them throwing out the old one and starting over. phew.

are they going to contact us about this or do we have to call?

my brain's not functioning. when they say a "new waitlist" they just mean that the second quartile may become the "first" as people turn down offers? when i heard "new" waitlist i imagined them throwing out the old one and starting over. phew.

are they going to contact us about this or do we have to call?

I hope not because I don't want to lose my 1st quartile spot! I'm sure it just means that they are moving people up on the list due to withdrawals and what not.

The class of 2016 facebook page has 198 members and MCW has a class size just barely above 200. I'm sure some of the members are non-incoming students but that is still a lot of members for the total class size.

When are we supposed to hear about the iPad/tablet we need? I've been seeing people mention them on the Facebook group, but haven't heard anything official yet.

When are we supposed to hear about the iPad/tablet we need? I've been seeing people mention them on the Facebook group, but haven't heard anything official yet.
From the email Jennifer sent out on 5/15:

The Discovery Curriculum will also be sending out some information to you shortly. This will provide you with sample schedules, technology requirements, and the like.

They also handed out a sheet with the specs at Second Look day. I don't have the sheet on me right now, and the only part I remember for certain is that the laptop screen has to be 15". I asked why and got this in reply:

The 15.6 inch diagonal screen is recommended as a minimum requirement because the curriculum incorporates a web-based product called Virtual Microscope. For optimal viewing of the images we recommend the 15.6 inch screen size. A 14 inch screen works with the software but it may limit your ability to view some images in detail. You can use the 14 inch screen but you may feel a larger screen size would be more beneficial and may want to upgrade.

The Discovery Curriculum will also be sending out some information to you shortly. This will provide you with sample schedules, technology requirements, and the like.

They also handed out a sheet with the specs at Second Look day. I don't have the sheet on me right now, and the only part I remember for certain is that the laptop screen has to be 15". I asked why and got this in reply:

The 15.6 inch diagonal screen is recommended as a minimum requirement because the curriculum incorporates a web-based product called Virtual Microscope. For optimal viewing of the images we recommend the 15.6 inch screen size. A 14 inch screen works with the software but it may limit your ability to view some images in detail. You can use the 14 inch screen but you may feel a larger screen size would be more beneficial and may want to upgrade.

I'm not a tech buff or anything but wouldn't it depend more on the resolution of the laptop screen and the resolution of the program's photos rather than the size of the screen? You have the ability to zoom-in on almost all new computers. A program such as this would not be developed for use with a certain screen size. And would the difference between a 15 inch and 14 inch really be that significant in this situation?

I'm not a tech buff or anything but wouldn't it depend more on the resolution of the laptop screen and the resolution of the program's photos rather than the size of the screen? You have the ability to zoom-in on almost all new computers. A program such as this would not be developed for use with a certain screen size. And would the difference between a 15 inch and 14 inch really be that significant in this situation?
Hey, I don't make the rules, I just report them. :)

There are some computer programs that force a certain application display size (aka resolution) while running. I'm guessing that is what they are talking about with this one. If your display isn't capable of doing this, then the images displayed may not be proper/ideal or one's computer may go into pan/scan mode.

I was planning on using an Iphone 4s and my macbook; I don't see why between the both of those I would need to buy an iPad. The iPhone can run any app that an iPad can, and the macbook will be much better at going through large volumes of lecture slides compared to an iPad.

Thanks!

I was planning on using an Iphone 4s and my macbook; I don't see why between the both of those I would need to buy an iPad. The iPhone can run any app that an iPad can, and the macbook will be much better at going through large volumes of lecture slides compared to an iPad.

For what it's worth, I'm a rising M3 and we just got our "i-devices" for third year. I think almost all of us opted to go with the iPad b/c it'll allow us to take down notes better, and it'll be easier to read journal articles on the floors. Obviously you can't carry a laptop around in your white coat pocket third year so that's why I think the iPad is being pushed by the school.

Just found out I was moved from 2nd to 1st quartile. Anyone know what chances might look like for someone moved to 1st q between 5/8 and 5/29? How much movement has likely already occurred?

Thanks for all the insights!

Just found out I was moved from 2nd to 1st quartile. Anyone know what chances might look like for someone moved to 1st q between 5/8 and 5/29? How much movement has likely already occurred?

Thanks for all the insights!

I've been in the 1st q and I haven't heard anything. Since you have been moved to the 1st q it's good news for all of us I guess, the list is moving. Congrats btw!

...and rejected. Not surprised because I hadn't been invited for an interview yet, lol, but I think MCW has set some kind of record for lack of communication. Secondary complete in August.

I called the admissions office last week to ask when the next round of offers would happen. The person I talked to said that the class was "currently filled" and only a few offers were made a week or so ago. She also seemed vague and evasive about when more offers were coming out. Has anyone in the first quartile heard anything recently? Could the cycle already be over?

I called the admissions office last week to ask when the next round of offers would happen. The person I talked to said that the class was "currently filled" and only a few offers were made a week or so ago. She also seemed vague and evasive about when more offers were coming out. Has anyone in the first quartile heard anything recently? Could the cycle already be over?

this was my experience when I called as well. however even if the class is "full", it doesn't necessarily mean the cycle is over, there is still plenty of movement occurring on the WLs at other schools, and many of the people who have committed to MCW may very well be holding out for another school.

Status
Not open for further replies.