2011-2012 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have a committee letter as well as three additional letters do I just put down the committee letter? I think my school sends them as a bundle.....
also I do not have a non science writer....Do you think that matters if I have the committee letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My AMCAS has yet to be verified as well. I have a committee letter and I know no one from NYMC. My secondary looks so blank. All it has it my undergrad institution name for the committee letter and my personal information. All the other sections are blank. Am I the only one that has this?

My AMCAS has yet to be verified as well. I have a committee letter and I know no one from NYMC. My secondary looks so blank. All it has it my undergrad institution name for the committee letter and my personal information. All the other sections are blank. Am I the only one that has this?

Mine was like this as well. I assume that 90+% of applicants have a similar situation.

Members don't see this ad :)

No, mine will be similar. I have a committee letter and three additional letters, but other than that, mine is blank as well.

They probably don't want any new information, just the $110 :thumbdown:
I know that for Wright State, all you needed to do was pay the fee and your secondary was done.

For the Letters of Evaluation section, if a letter writer taught us in more than one course, which one should we list? Also, how are other people filling in course names? The entry field is smaller than the one AMCAS uses.

I added this school on my AMCAS, and I didn't realize how insane they are about their LOR requirements. I'm a non-trad, and it looks like I won't be able to meet their requirement for a non-science undergrad professor. I have a non-science letter, but it was from a doctor. I'm SO pissed off about this.

I added this school on my AMCAS, and I didn't realize how insane they are about their LOR requirements. I'm a non-trad, and it looks like I won't be able to meet their requirement for a non-science undergrad professor. I have a non-science letter, but it was from a doctor. I'm SO pissed off about this.

I'm a non-trad as well who couldn't get an undergrad non-science letter. I did go to graduate school (in a non-science discipline), and that was sufficient for both my graduate letter and non-science undergrad letter. I graduated before 2009.

Me too... I submitted 7/16 and got the secondary this morning (my first one! :love:). I guess I'll just go ahead and submit it, can't see why it would hurt.

I also got the app this morning and submitted it right away, without being verified first... I guess I just wanted to feel like I got something done!

I also can't see why it would hurt... they don't screen, so what does it matter if you are verified or not?

If I have a committee letter as well as three additional letters do I just put down the committee letter? I think my school sends them as a bundle.....
also I do not have a non science writer....Do you think that matters if I have the committee letter.

not sure about your second question but i just put down the name of my school for committee letter and left everything else blank.

Hi was wondering

For LORs, if we sent in a LOR Packet. This isn't a committee letter, so do I just write the individual LOR writers on the form? AMCAS has it as a complete packet with my advisors name on it... not sure what to do?

Yeah, I have the same problem. I guess I should have researched how finicky they are about the LoRs before applying. Ah well, they won't be getting my $110.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm confused of which box to check for Fee Waiver. It looks like this

Check O or Fee Waiver O Stub

With the Os being the boxes. Is it the left one?

Hey, I'm confused of which box to check for Fee Waiver. It looks like this

Check O or Fee Waiver O Stub

With the Os being the boxes. Is it the left one?

I checked the second box. Is that 1 page all you send in? I wrote my name and AAMC ID on it and just mailed it in. Is that all they need?

I have two physician letters that I want to indicate as "optional," but I can't go on to the next page of the application unless a course name and number are entered. Obviously I didn't take courses with them (clinical research/employment) so how do you go about this? It can't be left blank, apparently.

I have two physician letters that I want to indicate as "optional," but I can't go on to the next page of the application unless a course name and number are entered. Obviously I didn't take courses with them (clinical research/employment) so how do you go about this? It can't be left blank, apparently.

Type "N/A" in all fields - except name - and "0" in the credits field.

Also, what do you think if 2 of my UG professors taught me in more than 1 class? I just listed the first class each taught me in, because there isn't enough space for both. I'm guess both stated each course they taught me in in their letters...Leave as is?

krose, I sent an email to the admissions office asking the same question. They said to list whichever course you prefer.

So I completed my secondary application today but when I clicked on the link to the secondary that was sent in the email, it prompted to enter the information again. Shouldn't the link said I've already entered information? Why is it letting me re-enter info? Anyone has this problem?

anybody else see this bit?

IMPORTANT NOTE: One (1) of your three letters of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored as identified on your AMCAS application - whether science or non-science.

i'm a biology major and apparently i have to get a rec from a biology professor. i'm a big annoyed at this rule :mad: my ochem prof (who's also the head of the chem dept) and my biochem prof aren't good enough to recommend me?

not to mention, way too late to ask for a letter of rec now...

gah! whyyy

I need to know this as well, or I'm gonna call them tomorrow.

Hi was wondering

For LORs, if we sent in a LOR Packet. This isn't a committee letter, so do I just write the individual LOR writers on the form? AMCAS has it as a complete packet with my advisors name on it... not sure what to do?

I'm using my school's letter service and I have a letter packet too. I called the admissions office today, and their recorded message says that if we have a letter packet, we'll need to list the profs out individually. Hope this helps!

good luck on the app cycle. Just finished up MS1 here and happy to answer any questions

How is the living experience there? I don't know if you're originally from New York, but how is it living in such a big city. If you were from a smaller town, did you find it hard to adapt?

Sounds like Im not the only one who got screwed over by this insane LOR requirement. I have never seen a school this strict with letters. I honestly loved the school and thought it was pretty awesome, but I guess I'm no longer applying. I'd much rather give my hundred bucks to a school that understands the concept of flexibility. I think this policy speaks volumes about the attitudes present at the campus, and shows how anal retentive they might be. Not the environment for me. I'm more of a Yale system freedom kind of guy myself haha.

Gluck guys!

Sounds like Im not the only one who got screwed over by this insane LOR requirement. I have never seen a school this strict with letters. I honestly loved the school and thought it was pretty awesome, but I guess I'm no longer applying. I'd much rather give my hundred bucks to a school that understands the concept of flexibility. I think this policy speaks volumes about the attitudes present at the campus, and shows how anal retentive they might be. Not the environment for me. I'm more of a Yale system freedom kind of guy myself haha.

Gluck guys!

how are they strict on LOR requirements?

(I have 6 LORs so I might be unbiased because of this..)

Gluck guys!

You complain about every schools application process. Are you a happy person?

Whats the LOR requirement that people are complaining about? I submitted mine already but didn't look at it closely? Is it the two LOR from same department?

Whats the LOR requirement that people are complaining about? I submitted mine already but didn't look at it closely? Is it the two LOR from same department?

I believe its the 2 science + 1 non science, with one of the science letters being from a professor in your major.

My status on the site hasn't changed yet and I submitted the secondary last week. Is anyone's status complete yet?

I submitted on 7/20 and was listed as complete on 7/27. I almost missed the notification saying I was complete because it is listed underneath all the rec letter writer's names.

My status on the site hasn't changed yet and I submitted the secondary last week. Is anyone's status complete yet?
This is what mine says
"A unique Login ID and Password to complete your secondary application were sent to you via e-mail on 07/27/2011.
Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 07/28/2011. "

This is what mine says
"A unique Login ID and Password to complete your secondary application were sent to you via e-mail on 07/27/2011.
Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 07/28/2011. "

My status still shows that, in addition to the "complete and under review" phrase under the LOR writer list. I heard NYMC typically takes a week or two to mark a file as complete after the secondary and LORs have been submitted.

Does anyone know when the first interview invites will be sent out for NYMC?

My status still shows that, in addition to the "complete and under review" phrase under the LOR writer list. I heard NYMC typically takes a week or two to mark a file as complete after the secondary and LORs have been submitted.

Does anyone know when the first interview invites will be sent out for NYMC?
Last year in SDN first invite came on 8/24.

I am a non-traditional also, graduated in 2005. Just got off the phone with admissions and they said that you can just fill in what you have as non-trad and you can replace the humanities rec letter with a boss or other. The strict rules are only for traditional students. Hope that helps!

I am a non-traditional also, graduated in 2005. Just got off the phone with admissions and they said that you can just fill in what you have as non-trad and you can replace the humanities rec letter with a boss or other. The strict rules are only for traditional students. Hope that helps!

really? i am a non trad and i called and asked if i could replace the non-science with something else and they said no...!?
weird

really? i am a non trad and i called and asked if i could replace the non-science with something else and they said no...!?
weird

I don't know, I mean its probably not the most ideal but I don't really have a choice so I am submitting !

So one pre-med advisor at my school has been telling ppl that NYMC is like.. going under? or about to loose their medical license? I applied to this school and I would love to go here but has anyone heard anything about this?

So one pre-med advisor at my school has been telling ppl that NYMC is like.. going under? or about to loose their medical license? I applied to this school and I would love to go here but has anyone heard anything about this?

I had heard murmuring about that before the Touro merger, but I thought they were now back on solid ground (if they were ever at risk anyway...rumors are often incorrect)

I had heard murmuring about that before the Touro merger, but I thought they were now back on solid ground (if they were ever at risk anyway...rumors are often incorrect)

I heard the same

Status
Not open for further replies.